Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour Media ban before voting

Options
  • 10-06-2008 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Why is this ban in place?
    Do ye think it is a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Its in place so people have a bit of time to clear their heads and consider the treaty before voting, its a good idea so people arent influenced immediately before the voting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Monsoon26

aine92 wrote: »
    Its in place so people have a bit of time to clear their heads and consider the treaty before voting, its a good idea so people arent influenced immediately before the voting!

agreed aine, its a good idea. we've been bombarded the last while//but I still don't know !! hehehe:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 quidestveritas?

Another factor is that false or misleading information can't (in theory) be sprung at the very last minute with no time for refutation or rebuttal before the voting actually takes place.:cool:

When does the ban end? Midnight tonight? I thought that it was after the polls close... And if it's after when the polls close, does that mean no exit polls? Sorry if I come across as a dunce :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The morri only applies to traditional electronic media, no-one else. So the kind of crap publshed by the indo can be put foward and the tv/radio can't talk about and test it.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 quidestveritas?

Actually, now that I think about it properly, isn't the ban just on the day of voting itself, not 24-hours in advance? This morning's Irish Times editorial is certainly not observing any sort of moratorium!

(And 'ban' is hardly the right word, more of a gentleman's agreement really)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Nope its 24 hours before the polling, the newspapers are not included in it, i dont think? Its more so TV, radio, public campaigning etc.

Advertisement