Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Radisson

Options
  • 10-06-2008 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I'm trying to decide on a wedding venue for next year. If anyone was ever at a wedding in the Radisson in Sligo, I'd be interested in getting feedback on what they thought of the hotel, food, service etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hiya Tiddlywink,

I've been to a wedding there, and it was "fine". Thats about as much as I can say, large conference room, army of staff, ran like clockwork... but in my very humble opinion, it was a bit like a lot of big weddings who need all of the above, a bit conveyor belt-ish?

Am I making sense?! Probably not. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

How many guests will you have, where are bride and groom from?

Lol at you Culchie! I've figured out who you are... :p

http://www.franc.ie/franced.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tiddlywink

Thanks for the replies.

Sueme - How many people roughly were at the wedding you were at? What was the food like? Was the conveyor-belt feeling due to the size of the wedding, or was it particular to the Radisson?

Culchie - we're looking at having around 150 at it. I'm from Sligo, and the groom is from Galway.

Thanks a mill.

tiddlywink wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Sueme - How many people roughly were at the wedding you were at? What was the food like? Was the conveyor-belt feeling due to the size of the wedding, or was it particular to the Radisson?

Culchie - we're looking at having around 150 at it. I'm from Sligo, and the groom is from Galway.

Thanks a mill.

I'd say about 200.
    Food was fine.
    Yup, I think it was just the sheer size of the wedding, but I don't think I've ever been to a large wedding that doesn't have that same feel.

This is very dodgy ground! :) I don't mean to offend at all, it just wouldn't be to my own personal taste. :) Btw, I have never married, so I have never planned a wedding, I have worked in alot of hotels though so have some little idea of the issues.

As for the nuts and bolts of your original question, it was fine, smooth and efficent, I certainly couldn't fault the staff or the organisation.

Phew... I'm ok aren't I?!

• Advertisement

sueme wrote: »
    Lol at you Culchie! I've figured out who you are... :p

http://www.franc.ie/franced.html

:eek:

Nice try, but nope.

I'd suggest Castle Dargan to Tiddlywink .....The tribesmen will find it handy enough and I think it's a cool spot with nice staff.

Glass House is nice spot as well, but don't know if they can handle wedding of 200.

Fitzwilliam Hotel in Claremorris (half way) has built up a good reputation in a short time.

The Radisson is a good hotel, but maybe more a corporate/business hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

but castle dargan is just so... "ugh" looking from the outside.

It honestly reminds me of a newly built cheap motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I was at a wedding in the Radisson last year. Food was nice, staff were good and the manager running the show was a sound sort guy. The two "issues" I'd have were just small things. The reception room was big, nearly too big and high as well. The curtains were shut as well, which was odd as it was bright out. And the recessed center of the ceiling had blue lights in it. Felt sort of strange.
    The other thing was that it was very busy and the wedding didn't "take over" as they often do. Some people like having the run of the place and not have their big entrance surrounded by random tourists and the like. Suited me down to the ground though. Rugby World Cup was on so I took myself into the front bar and hid amongst the other guests. Great match, no dancing. Perfect:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I got married there shorty after it opened in October 04.
    Can't really say anything bad about the place.
    Had around 250 at the meal if not more i reckon.

CountingCrows was there so he might give a different perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

Hi I seem to have been at a wedding at least once a month for the last two years and I hate to say it but the Radisson was my least favourite venue. No real complaints, everything was ok, but nothing special at the same time. My favourite venue which maybe you should check out is the Clarion. I was at two weddings there recently one 250 guests and one with 150 and the fact that you can divide the room makes a huge difference. Also the setting is lovely, staff were great and food was wonderful. A friend of mine who was staying at the hotel had to leave the table during the meal to settle her 18month old in the bedroom with the babysitter the staff offered to have her meal taken up to the room to her!

Having said that Sligo does have some very good wedding venues. One piece of advise don't be afraid to tell them exactly what you want, you are paying huge money for your day so if you think there will be a lot of drinkers there request an extra bar man, If you have kids and older people there who don't want to wait around for dinner then tell the hotel that when you say sitting at five you mean five (just make sure you stick to it too!)

Wherever you decide enjoy your day

Sulukie
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Xiney wrote: »
    I was there for a wedding last October for a wedding of about 150, maybe a little less, and it was very nice I thought. Good size for it, nice views and good service. Honestly didn't notice how it was from the outside.
    il gatto wrote: »
    The reception room was big, nearly too big and high as well. The curtains were shut as well, which was odd as it was bright out. And the recessed center of the ceiling had blue lights in it. Felt sort of strange.
    Yeah, I found that really weird too at a relatives wedding a few years ago. We blagged into the residents bar too, stayed there ages getting great craic out of this hilariously racist Canadian on a golfing holiday. Iraqis are taking over his little suburb apparently, and they're getting his daughter into drugs.

Was at a wedding last year in the Clarion too, for maybe up to 250. Nice spot and decent enough all round, everything went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I was at a few weddings there and all good form my point of view. One of the couples had a problem with the bill after as numbers were incorrect but got it sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Xiney wrote: »

It honestly reminds me of a newly built cheap motel.

TBH on your wedding day around Sligo you will more likly get photos done in the Holy Well and overlooking the lake then arrive at the Hotel and go straight in for the Meal withot a minute to spare so you wont really get a chance to look at the outside of the Hotel.
    Also the views from inside Castle Dargan are not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

I haven't been to a wedding in the Raddison, but have been to a number of functions there where there would've been roughly 200-300 people, and tbh, I didn't like it. There's nothing special about it, the ballroom is really big, and it's just a bit impersonal. That's only my opinion, and as I said it wasn't a wedding I was at either.

I did go to a wedding in the CastleDargan in January and it was absolutely beautiful. A lovely size, lovely atmosphere, just really enjoyable. But then again different strokes and all that! Hope you find the perfect spot OP.

There is a nice view from the front of the Radisson. I always liked the Sligo Park for weddings/functions. Maybe I'm just so used to it over the years. Nice setting, convienient to town. Never had a problem with the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

il gatto wrote: »
    There is a nice view from the front of the Radisson. I always liked the Sligo Park for weddings/functions. Maybe I'm just so used to it over the years. Nice setting, convienient to town. Never had a problem with the food.

Ah in fairness the food has been brutal in the past there! That said it was fantastic when I was there in March for a function!

Always heard people saying it wasn't great but maybe I was lucky. I always had a decent meal there.
    I was at a wedding in Galway last year, in the West Woods hotel. The food was beautiful. Top notch and a lovely function room. I'll measure all wedding food against it until I hit on somewhere better.

It's all down to the head chef.....it's why hotels are so hit and miss. Good chefs can get paid what they want (deserved so).

If a good chef moves on, and is replaced by a not so good chef, the quality of food dips etc...

The Sligo Park had a terrible reputation for a few years, but has been good anytime I've been there the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tiddlywink

Thanks for all the replies! We have had a good look around at loads of hotels in sligo (including castle dargan), and had it narrowed down to 2 options (for a variety of reasons) - Radisson or Sligo Park. Radisson had the views etc., but I am a wee bit put off by the closed curtains in the function room and the dancefloor being in bad condition - pretty dirty/scuffed looking and duck tape on the floor at one point! I have been to weddings in the Sligo Park, and know what its like, but was interested in hearing people's opinions on the Radisson cos I was never at a wedding there/never ate there.

tiddlywink wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies! We have had a good look around at loads of hotels in sligo (including castle dargan), and had it narrowed down to 2 options (for a variety of reasons) - Radisson or Sligo Park. Radisson had the views etc., but I am a wee bit put off by the closed curtains in the function room and the dancefloor being in bad condition - pretty dirty/scuffed looking and duck tape on the floor at one point! I have been to weddings in the Sligo Park, and know what its like, but was interested in hearing people's opinions on the Radisson cos I was never at a wedding there/never ate there.

If they are your only problems with the Radisson, they are very easily remedied. Be specific with them (start as you mean to go on!) that the floor would need to be repaired/refinished and that you will be using natural light, thank you very much! Believe me, they will not want to lose a wedding booking for the sake of a couple of hours maintenance on the dancefloor.

The very best of luck, and enjoy planning it! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement