Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

customs and vegtable oil

Options
  • 10-06-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Im driveing a vauxhall cavalier 1.7td (isuzu engine) to work at the moment and im considering useing vegtable oil in it. i know it will work in the engine but what happens if i get dipped by customs? If its the same fine id be aswell useing green diesel..have a big tank of it here at the house:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

AFAIK duty must be paid on any substance used as a motor fuel, even if it comes from your chip-pan. If you can't prove duty was paid then you're breaching the same law as if you were burning green stuff.

However, I don't know if customs can actually detect crisp 'n dry at the roadside unless they can smell it. does it change the colour of diesel noticably?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Most of those isuzu engines have lucas injector pumps. They don't like veggie oil without modification. I'd be more concerned about frying the injector pump than with being stopped by customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vic-mackey

i know that they cannot detect green diesel when mixed 50/50 with veg oil alright, but dont know about actually detecting the veg oil.
    slimjimmc is right about duty being owed on fuel no matter what it is,
    the scummy fúckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yes they can dip,

But you can say your declaring it at the end of the tax year.

At the end of a the year theres a minimum amount you need to declare.

That is all.

Green Diesel is different as its not meant to be used in anything but agricultural vehicles at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

vic-mackey wrote: »
    i know that they cannot detect green diesel when mixed 50/50 with veg oil alright

Sweet mother of suffering mercy. Do you believe that if you hang a CD from your rear view mirror that it prevents the speed gun from getting a reading of your speed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Sweet mother of suffering mercy. Do you believe that if you hang a CD from your rear view mirror that it prevents the speed gun from getting a reading of your speed?

Only if you mark lines on it with a green highlighter pen!

Also, if stopped, you can stick you fingers in your ears and shout "LA LA LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!", then you can swear in court that you never heard the cop issue you a warning! It'll get you off every time, my Granda is a Supreme Court Judge and he says this plan CANNOT FAIL!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the customs guy isn't wearing their hat then there is sweet FA they can do. I'm not suggesting that you knock their hat off but...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

kbannon wrote: »
    If the customs guy isn't wearing their hat then there is sweet FA they can do. I'm not suggesting that you knock their hat off but...
    :D

Bang on there.

Advertisement