Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barry Transfer Saga, will he go to Liverpool

• 10-06-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Right now heres a thread to discuss the Garety Barry Transfer:
    Ultimately whats going to happen?

How do you measure punishing a club for tapping up a player?

Multi million pound Fines? points deductions?, if a case is taken then it will probably take a long time to come to fruition and will result in only a slap on the wrist for the offending party.

A better idea all around would be not to tap other clubs players up full stop, and wait for a club to offer permission to speak to a player. Thats the system supposedly in use at the moment, but is being made a mockery by clubs like Liverpool & Real Madrid who think they are more important then the game and its rules. the Barry saga is the epitome of all that is wrong with modern football. Take a bow Rafa Benitez.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jeez guy, relax. I really like Villa, they're a team i love to watch and have kept a close eye on since O' Neil joined. I dont think I said anythign particularly off the wall or offensive so theres no need to be telling me to get out of the thread.

I just think things are being looked at a bit askew, with talk like this;
    But instead a combination of a football club using unscrupulous means, a dodgy agent and an over rated Liverpool 'her0' whispering sweet nothings like Medea into GBs ear all mean that Villa are losing their captain and heartbeat in the most foul manner possible.

I just think its a little overboard. I dont think its quite as evil as all that. He's not an innocent naive babe being kidnapped by the darkside with false promises and lies. He's a grown man who has to make a decision on what he wants to do with his peak years while the offers are coming in. If he stays, ill aplaud him but be disappointed. If he goes it doesn't make him or the process evil, it just means he wants to have a change and make a go of things at Liverpool.

And as for me talking about players testimony's of Rafa, I was answering a direct question on the subject -
    will Barry receive the same nourishing work-conditions at Liverpool?

I've no doubt he's got fantastic support and conditions at Villa, im just saying Liverpool also have a track record of helping out their players with individual plans and treatments. I just answered the question.

<edit>
    IMO the vast vast majority of this "saga" has been fuelled by the papers having little to report so instead keep printing the same stuff over and over and over again, making it a bigger deal then it really is. Gareth Barry isn't an idiot, I dont expect the paper talk to have much impact, i expect the direct dealings between Rafa and MON, as well as MON and Barry to have a far bigger sway.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    dont be so ****ing self righteous.

gimme one link showing Liverpool have been in contact with Gareth Barry.....or shut the **** up with the tapping up allegations.

we've made a couple of bids for him.

Gerrard has talked about his mate.

Rafa has answered a couple of questions about him in a press conference and stuck up for himself after your ****ing whiter than white manager lost his cool in a big way in the public domain and started bad mouthing Rafa and Liverpool. real classy MON.

No tapping up going on there.
    You might not have noticed (and i wouldnt blame you with Mr Alan seemingly camped out on this thread despite promises he'd go;)) but this is a Villa thread not a Liverpool one, Villa fans arent exactly happy their tapped up captain has his eyes elsewhere and they are especially not happy with the actions of Liverpool PLC.

So when you come onto this thread talking about how

You draw my ire anyway because your glossing over Liverpools disgraceful way in which they are conducting this transfer.

If you want to talk about how well Barry is going to settle in the Liverpool team, do it in the Liverpool thread.
    Get off your high horse and open your eyes. the whole Barry saga stinks to high heaven, and mate, it isnt Villa the stink is emanating from, im sure Liverpool have done just enough to avoid any official sanction, but the manner in how they are getting their man is nefarious and speaks volumes the way football is going. If im wrong on the tapping up allegations then let GB and his agent sue me;)
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In all fairness its a discussion board and he's a Villa player. That bit you quoted was a very relevent point as to why he might want to move. Just because you dont like it doesn't make it untrue. I haven't belittled Villa in any way. And as for Liverpool's disgraceful beheaviour, i've yet to see anything worse then the Echo releasing word a bid had been made. Just as the Birmingham press did. Rafa when asked just said "i contaced them, we'll talk again later". If theres anything concrete that Liverpool have acted in such a disgusting evil conniving way, i'd like to see it as it would be very relevent to the discussion.

Gerrard shouldn't have said "id love it if he joined", but in all fairness as a comment does that make any difference?! I've no doubt he was chattin with him in the england camp saying "ah come on it'll be great craic". Again, Barry's not a child, he's not just gonna go "oh ok stevie, fuk villa, im off with you my bestest bestest buddy". He's not gonna do what suits Steven Gerrard or Liverpool football club, he's gonna do what suits Gareth Barry.
    how football is going?!

Players leave clubs for bigger clubs a lot. Its always the way football has been. nothing new there.

that doesnt mean that liverpool have tapped him up.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    If I take a step back and try and look at this in an unbiased fashion, I can painfully admit that I can't begrudge Liverpool for wanting to sign Barry, or the way they went about it.

Yes, I’m changing my tune somewhat, but it's the sad nature of football that clubs already established with a cohort of world class players, a greater prestige and a regular position in the Champion's League can lure the best player, even captain, from a smaller team. And we are a smaller team, there is no use in contending that point.

Personal success, legacy and, of course, money will win out over loyalty in the bulk of cases. Barry is 27 years of age, and has the chance to play in the Champion’s League, in a team with world-class players, possibly contend for a Premiership title and earn an awful lot more money. All these factors combine to make the decision to leave a no-brainer, provided you prioritise your personal situation over loyalty to your club, which is what he did. And he shouldn’t be blamed for that.

The sting, for me, isn’t in the nature through which Liverpool conducted their desire to sign Barry either. They offered us an insulting deal initially, that’s just how deals work; they’re hardly going to table a cool £20m cash as their first proposal. A few papers then picked up the leaked story, maybe through a source in Liverpool, maybe not. MON then went rasher, quite admirably in my opinion, and did his best to defend the integrity of his club and the whole thing got out of hand, arguably catalysed by the press as a result of the complete dearth in stories worth reporting at the time.

But Barry probably had his mind made up that he’d leave long before this situation even arose, or before Gerrard said anything to the BBC. And if I’m honest, I think MON knew this, and a lot of the rationale behind his public defiance was to boost the price he’d receive for Barry.

So the most annoying part of this whole debacle isn’t necessarily that we’re specifically losing Barry, or that Liverpool may or may not have acted disrespectfully, it’s what it means in the bigger picture for Aston Villa. Basically, our captain doesn’t believe that Champion’s League Football is a realistic prospect for the club before he is over the hill. This is a body shot to the Martin O’Neill Renaissance, and it sends out a subconscious message to younger players at the club that the best they can hope for is an eventual move to a bigger club.

And when you throw in the added bonus that MON hasn’t exactly established himself as a powerhouse in the transfer market, it’s all the more ominous. Whatever about adding to last year’s squad, we’re now starting with a significant handicap to overcome and it will be, to quote someone earlier in this thread, the litmus test to the MON era. In the aftermath of losing our skipper, he has to convince the fans and the rest of his players that Villa can still some day compete for a place in the top 4.

This is the last I’m going to say on the affair until Barry either commits or leaves. It’s really dragging out now and I just want shut of it. That cryogenic chamber just keeps getting all the more attractive…

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Dont see why this can't just stay in the Liverpool or Villa threads

For me there is nothing more annoying than these long dragged out summer transfers, there was Heinze to Liverpool and Tevez to United last year, already this year we have Ronaldo to Real and this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well they can have it in the Liverpool thread if they like but the Villa thread is becomming a right pain in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I think Liverpool and Villa fans have counter argued all possible points in the discussion, perhaps a little contribution from afar might make it a bit less mundane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Savman wrote: »
    I think Liverpool and Villa fans have counter argued all possible points in the discussion, perhaps a little contribution from afar might make it a bit less mundane.

agreed.

CGNS; if you don't like long drawn out transfer sagas, probably best not to click on the thread called "Barry Transfer Saga"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unless MON chains Barry to a railing in Villa Park it'll happen. Whether thats good for either team is a moot point. ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think Barry will go to Liverpool. I dont think Liverpool have done anything wrong here. They approached Villa with a fee. This news got public. Barry knew they were interested then. He seems to have made the decision that he wants to move. Villa, despite their best efforts/intentions cannot afford to hold onto an asset/player who doesnt want to play for them anymore. Liverpool will up their bid slightly and Barry will sign.
    Do I think its a good "career" move for him? Football wise-No. Financially-Yes. Its a short career etc so they need all the money they can get or else they'll end up on the Beeb doing mundane commentaries.

Nothing to see here.
    Kippy

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

this seems to be unnecessary to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Why? Other transfer saga's have had their own thread? I think its better to have one thread on it than have Pool fans posting the Villa thread and Villa fans posting in the Pool thread on ONE topic.

Villian,
    I think this thread has already had about as much constructive discussion on it as it will actually get.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think this a fair enough thread because i never go into the Villa thread, or any other club for that matter. Have no problem with Villa.
    My opinion is that Barry has been restless for a while and Liverpool have taken advantage of that. To say that is tapping up is a bit extreme.
    Villa should just hold out for the best deal, but let him go. No point in holding onto a player who doesn't want to stay. I'm genuinely not being patronising to Villa, but take the money and buy a player of quality who wants to play for you, always try to make an improvement. O' Neill is a quality manager, Villa have a great fan base and have to say, a fantastic owner.
    There's no point holding onto a player who doesn't want to be there. He's been a great player for Villa. And by the way, Villa are a good enough club to attract quality. If Moyes can get Everton to fifth, MON can certainly help Villa challenge for that spot, and more

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    I think Barry will go to Liverpool. I dont think Liverpool have done anything wrong here. They approached Villa with a fee. This news got public. Barry knew they were interested then. He seems to have made the decision that he wants to move. Villa, despite their best efforts/intentions cannot afford to hold onto an asset/player who doesnt want to play for them anymore. Liverpool will up their bid slightly and Barry will sign.
    Do I think its a good "career" move for him? Football wise-No. Financially-Yes. Its a short career etc so they need all the money they can get or else they'll end up on the Beeb doing mundane commentaries.

Nothing to see here.
    Kippy

I'd love to to hear your explanation of how Barry moving from Villa to Liverpool is not a good career move

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd love to to hear your explanation of how Barry moving from Villa to Liverpool is not a good career move

He is a central/pivotal player at Villa. O Neill appeared to be building a team around him.
    He is moving to a club with oddles of Midfielders some of whom are better than others and where at least two players are of a far higher profile.
    Villa arent actually that far behind Liverpool in terms of potential to win trophies.
    He wouldnt be the first player that Rafa has signed from the lower down the league clubs. Not many of them make it at the pool for whatever reason.

He is already in the England squad so is not for his English career he is moving.

Lets have a thread on every transfer rumour this summer for the craic.
    Kippy

Kippy

what about!!!! the mods deciding wat is an appropriate thread and wat is not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It ain't exactly a saga...

He is a central/pivotal player at Villa. O Neill appeared to be building a team around him.
    He is moving to a club with oddles of Midfielders some of whom are better than others and where at least two players are of a far higher profile.
    Villa arent actually that far behind Liverpool in terms of potential to win trophies.
    He wouldnt be the first player that Rafa has signed from the lower down the league clubs. Not many of them make it at the pool for whatever reason.

He is already in the England squad so is not for his English career he is moving.

Ok, Kippy. That's a fair enough point in terms of Barry being a pivotal player at Villa! But i genuinely think he will be a massive player for Liverpool especially if Alonso leaves (which i've thought he will do do pretty much since Feb.) His Prem experience will be massive, but i also think in the Champions league his place will be vital. Mascherano holding the fort and putting in the challenges, Barry doing the same to a lesser extent but getting forward and producing through balls for Torres, Gerrard etc.

In terms of Villa not being far behind trophy-wise, There's a fine line alright. We won nothing last year, yet in my opinion, any premier league team who truly set out to win the League Cup can do so. But the expectation on Liverpool is far greater. And let's face it, (again not being patronising), but do Villa have a better chance of winning the league and Champions League next season more than Liverpool? No, for various reasons. And if Liverpool take the FA Cup and League cup seriously, again....better chance than Villa winning them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Neil3030 wrote: »

So the most annoying part of this whole debacle isn’t necessarily that we’re specifically losing Barry, or that Liverpool may or may not have acted disrespectfully, it’s what it means in the bigger picture for Aston Villa. Basically, our captain doesn’t believe that Champion’s League Football is a realistic prospect for the club before he is over the hill. This is a body shot to the Martin O’Neill Renaissance, and it sends out a subconscious message to younger players at the club that the best they can hope for is an eventual move to a bigger club.

And when you throw in the added bonus that MON hasn’t exactly established himself as a powerhouse in the transfer market, it’s all the more ominous. Whatever about adding to last year’s squad, we’re now starting with a significant handicap to overcome and it will be, to quote someone earlier in this thread, the litmus test to the MON era. In the aftermath of losing our skipper, he has to convince the fans and the rest of his players that Villa can still some day compete for a place in the top 4.

+1, an amen and a thumbs up to all of that.

BARRY WILL COST KOP £20M
    ABOVE: Gareth Barry11th June 2008 By Ian Edwards MARTIN O’NEILL will not allow Gareth Barry to leave Aston Villa – unless Liverpool come close to reaching the £20m barrier for the England international.

Aston Villa boss O’Neill confirmed last night that Barry has made it clear he wants to leave Villa Park following discussions between the pair yesterday.

And he is now resigned to losing the influential midfielder before the start of next season’s Premier League campaign.

But the Ulsterman is determined to play hardball with Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez before granting the 27-year-old his wish to move to Anfield.

After returning from a stint as a BBC analyst at the Euro 2008 championships to speak in person with Barry yesterday, Villa confirmed in a statement that the midfielder had made it clear to O’Neill that he wants to end his 10-year stay with the club he joined as a kid.

The statement said: “Gareth Barry has stated in discussions with our manager that he would like to leave Aston Villa to join Liverpool, but Liverpool’s bid for the player has been rejected and Liverpool have been informed.”

Liverpool’s latest offer of £12m has been rejected out of hand, following Benitez’s opening gambit of £10m plus Steve Finnan, Jermaine Pennant and John Arne Riise. Villa are demanding a straight cash deal.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/40482/Barry-will-cost-Kop-20m/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

That's a lot of money :O

Twenty million for Barry is a joke!! But he's English......etc etc. Therefore he's better than Pele

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If Villa held out for 20million i think we'd see liverpool back out, pull the Alonso to Juve deal and spend the money elsewhere. Simply not worth it in the current financial climate if it costs more then we make for Alonso's sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Kippy

Why the **** did you come in here then? If the thread upsets you that much don't ****ing click it. Their are millions of other threads on boards and thousands in the soccer forum their is bound to be a thread you don't like, same way their is for me hence why I don't click the Manchester United General rumors, I have absoloutly no interest in what they do/talk about so I don't go in and go "I don't like this thread its pointless where is Accrington Stanley's and Vauxhall Motors one if you can have one" I simply DON'T CLICK.

Grow up muppet.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Why the **** did you come in here then? If the thread upsets you that much don't ****ing click it. Their are millions of other threads on boards and thousands in the soccer forum their is bound to be a thread you don't like, same way their is for me hence why I don't click the Manchester United General rumors, I have absoloutly no interest in what they do/talk about so I don't go in and go "I don't like this thread its pointless where is Accrington Stanley's and Vauxhall Motors one if you can have one" I simply DON'T CLICK.

Grow up muppet.

The force is strong in this one

lets hope liverpool PLC recoil at the £20m fee the way their fans are....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Where's this statement that MON/Villa supposedly released yesterday then ? Or did they just fax it straight to the Daily Star ?

Not to mention that releasing such a statement would undermine Villa's position when it comes to negotiating.

Guardian reckons a new bid for 14m is being prepared and the Daily Mail also quotes 14m. 20m has about as much credibility as the rest of that article in the Star.

zing wrote: »
    Where's this statement that MON/Villa supposedly released yesterday then ? Or did they just fax it straight to the Daily Star ?

Not to mention that releasing such a statement would undermine Villa's position when it comes to negotiating.

Guardian reckons a new bid for 14m is being prepared and the Daily Mail also quotes 14m. 20m has about as much credibility as the rest of that article in the Star.

Well the Granuaid is using the same quotes as the Star

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/11/premierleague.liverpool
    Liverpool prepare £14m cash bid as they attempt to seal Barry dealAndy Hunter The Guardian, Wednesday June 11 2008 Article history
    Gareth Barry believes Champions League football is a priority if he is to cement his place in England's midfield. Photograph: Michael Regan/Action Images

Liverpool will test Martin O'Neill's determination to keep Gareth Barry at Aston Villa by making an improved cash offer of £14m for the England midfielder. Barry has been the subject of two bids: a £10m deal involving players and a £12m cash offer. Both were rejected. O'Neill is incensed that Liverpool's original offer was made public before the end of the season, dismissive of attempts to include players in any deal and, despite Barry's agent, Alex Black, confirming that his client wishes to move, reluctant to part with such an influential player.

"Gareth Barry has stated in discussion with our manager that he would like to leave Aston Villa to join Liverpool," an Aston Villa statement said last night. "But Liverpool's bid for the player has been rejected and Liverpool have been informed of Villa's decision in this matter."

Liverpool are prepared to test that resolve with another cash-only bid but such is their determination to sign Barry that they will also consider a player-exchange deal that, unlike previous offers, would be on the Villa manager's terms. Villa, however, want in excess of £15m for their captain.

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Grow up muppet.
    If you dont like my opinions you dont have to reply to them.
    I didnt say anything about the thread upsetting me.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'd have grave concerns if we were to pay more than £14m for Barry. I don't think he's worth any more than that to us. If we are as short on cash as is being reported there are more pressing areas which need to be addressed IMO.

I wouldnt be happy about us spending 20 million on Barry.

I wouldnt pay a penny more than we recieve for Alonso if he leaves.

If Villa are playing hard ball like that as someone else said, i'd pull the plug on the Alonso deal and keep him and leave Villa with a player who has told them he doesnt wanna be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I think O'Neill is gonna play hard ball on this. Rafa really seemed to p!ss him off. I think he will hold out for around 18mil. Villa don't need the money, so I reckon if Rafa doesn't raise his bid to around 18mil O'Neill will say no. Of course this leaves Villa with a problem. If Rafa bids 15 and we say no, and Rafa pulls out of the deal, this leaves us with a player who has basically said that he wants to leave the club. Is this something we would want? On one hand I want him to stay, but only if he wants to stay.

He doesn't want to stay, so I assume Villa have named their price and Liverpool either don't want to meet the valuation, or are waiting on funds from the sale of other players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

as a villa fan, i can safely say i dont particularly care either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

I wouldnt be happy about us spending 20 million on Barry.

I wouldnt pay a penny more than we recieve for Alonso if he leaves.

If Villa are playing hard ball like that as someone else said, i'd pull the plug on the Alonso deal and keep him and leave Villa with a player who has told them he doesnt wanna be there.

though doing that could result in alonso being unhappy too.

he would then know the only reason he is being kept is that liverpool wouldnt pay for Barry, not exactly a ringing endorsement to him. So he could decide that he wants to move then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Some of the shi** that gets posted on this board is unreal.

In terms of Premiership\Champions league they are miles behind. They have never even come near qualifying for the Champions league, Liverpool have been the most consistent side in Europe in the Champions league over the past 5 seasons.

He's never going to win those two trophies at Villa.... ever.

In the last 20 years the FA Cup has been won 17 times by either Liverpool, Aresnal, Chelsea or Utd.

So that leaves the league cup or UEFA Cup, if Villa one either of these two it would be deemed an exceptional season. An exceptional season for Liverpool would be winning the Premiership or Champions league. Which do you think he would prefer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

to be fair, villa have as much chance of winning the premiership as liverpool

• Advertisement

Let's get one thing straight without more mudslinging :rolleyes:
    Liverpool are always a good bet for an FA Cup, League Cup or possibly CL if they have a special season. But the PL is above their capabilities.
    Villa are outsiders for both domestic cups and even further outsiders for the UEFA to the point it's hardly worth getting worked up over.

Right now there's 16pts separating the 2 clubs, that's a fairly big gap tbh. Liverpool are where Villa want to be, not point in denying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Savman wrote: »
    Let's get one thing straight without more mudslinging :rolleyes:
    Liverpool are always a good bet for an FA Cup, League Cup or possibly CL if they have a special season. But the PL is above their capabilities.
    Villa are outsiders for both domestic cups and even further outsiders for the UEFA to the point it's hardly worth getting worked up over.

Right now there's 16pts separating the 2 clubs, that's a fairly big gap tbh. Liverpool are where Villa want to be, not point in denying it.
    But this is going to be Liverpool's year! ;)

There is no point in holding on to Barry now, Villa will have to hold out for a decent price, could all depend how much Liverpool get for Alonso because I would imagine Villa will want at least the same price that Alonso will go to Juve for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Liverpool have been the most consistent side in Europe in the Champions league over the past 5 seasons.
    I think AC Milan might argue that point!
    We know Liverpool are the better team but seeing as they have to sell Alonso to afford Barry shows that Liverpool are not in a great position financially. I really think Villa will challenge Liverpool next season for 4th, with or without Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

As a liverpool fan im keeping my fingers crossed that we dont get Barry.Way way overrated.Need to be going for better quality than England bench players.
    IMO gixerfixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

helix wrote: »
    to Be Fair, Villa Have As Much Chance Of Winning The Premiership As Liverpool

:d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

gixerfixer wrote: »
    As a liverpool fan im keeping my fingers crossed that we dont get Barry.Way way overrated.Need to be going for better quality than England bench players.
    IMO gixerfixer.

afaik, he has started all but one of capellos games for england, and he came on in the other one

tomred1 wrote: »
    I think AC Milan might argue that point!

AC Milan can argue the point all they want. We are the better team in Europe over the last 5 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3676114,00.html

Article
    Gareth Barry has confirmed his desire to swap Aston Villa for Liverpool this summer.

The Villa captain is Rafa Benitez's top transfer target and the Liverpool boss has already had one £10million bid rejected.

Barry's agent, Alex Black, stated on Tuesday that the player was keen to leave Villa in search of UEFA Champions League football.

And Villa have now confirmed that Barry, who is believed to be valued at around £15m, has informed manager Martin O'Neill that he wants to join Liverpool.

Discussions

In a statement Villa said: "Gareth Barry has stated in discussions with our manager he would like to leave Aston Villa to join Liverpool.

"But Liverpool's bid for the player has been rejected and they have been informed of Villa's continued position in this matter."

The presence of Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard, who is a close friend of Barry, at Anfield is understood to be a major bargaining chip.

And Liverpool are expected to up their offer within the next 48 hours as they attempt to land England international Barry.

AC Milan can argue the point all they want. We are the better team in Europe over the last 5 years.

AC Milan 2 wins+ 1 Runner up
    Liverpoll 1 win + 1 Runner up

Eh, no we're not, why would you even say that. Milan won it in 2003, got to the quarters in 2004 when we weren't even in it, got to the final in 2005 when Liverpool beat them, got to the semi's in 2006 when Liverpool only reached the 2nd round and last year beat Liverpool in the final. That makes them better and more consistant than Liverpool. So if Milan did argue, they'd win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

LOL!

Dont be laughing too hard now people. According to the UEFA rankings Liverpool are ranked the #1 team in Europe based on european performances over the last 5 years.

United are ranked 7th, Chelsea 2nd(i think), Arsenal are 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

wow.

Melion wrote: »
    Dont be laughing too hard now people. According to the UEFA rankings Liverpool are ranked the #1 team in Europe based on european performances over the last 5 years.

United are ranked 7th, Chelsea 2nd(i think), Arsenal are 6th

This table begs to differ:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2008.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement