Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barry Transfer Saga, will he go to Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Melion wrote: »

Thank you Melion. Was off having my lunch, but this is wat i was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Big swinging mickey.
    You can include whatever criteria you want to show different things. It's all opinion. In my opinion Man Utd, Chelsea and AC have all been better than Liverplop over the last 5 year, based on my own criteria.
    This is a thread about the Barry transfer. Not whether AC or Pool are better.

In my opinion Man Utd, Chelsea and AC have all been better than Liverplop over the last 5 year, based on my own criteria.

I'll go by Uefas criteria thanks very much ;)

Fair enough! Your free to delude yourself!

deluding myself by going with the actual official rankings.

ok :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

doesn't UEFAs criteria take into account the countries performance implying that its the highest ranked rather than the best :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Big swinging mickey.
    You can include whatever criteria you want to show different things. It's all opinion. In my opinion Man Utd, Chelsea and AC have all been better than Liverplop over the last 5 year, based on my own criteria.
    This is a thread about the Barry transfer. Not whether AC or Pool are better.

You think United have performed better in Europe over the last 5 years than Liverpool?

Melion wrote: »
    You think United have performed better in Europe over the last 5 years than Liverpool?

Or Chelsea, even worse shout! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

The basis for the UEFA rankings is the performance of teams in the European Cups during a five year period. During that period each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw. From 1999 on these points are halved for qualification matches: one point for a win and half a point for a draw. One bonus point is allocated for reaching the quarter final, the semi final and the final. Reaching the group stage of the Champions League yields three bonus points (before 1996: 2 points, from 1996-2004: 1 point). As of the 2004/05 season teams qualifying for the first knock-out round of the Champions League will be awarded with an extra bonus point. The so-called UEFA coefficients are calculated by taking an average, based on the total number of points divided by the total number of teams of each country. See the country coefficients of 2007 for an example of such a calculation.
    reading this suggests Liverpool are ranked higher because they have had to qualify - especially the year they didn't qualify by right and went into the first qualifying round;)

• Advertisement

I never said in Europe. I mean't in general. And I'm not debating it anymore. It's not relevant to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

How much wages are Liverpool offering Barry? and when is he going to move in with Stevie G as the press seem to think they are lovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

tomred1 wrote: »
    and when is he going to move in with Stevie G as the press seem to think they are lovers.

They were but Stevie hasn't gotten round to telling him that he's ditched him for Torres. Meanwhile Torres and David Villa appear to be getting it on so Stevie could be in for some more heartbreak.

Tune in tomorrow for the next episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

ye know, someone should create a liverpool thread where ye could discuss who has been the most successful team in europe for the last five years.

oh, wait..

Event, i believe it was just being pointed out to people who were saying that Liverpool would not be such an attractive prospect for Barry.

When in reality, Liverpool operate on a different level to Villa altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

5 Pages and 3 of them discussion amongst egotistical Liverpool fans wondering how 'big' their club is, suuurrre you are a bigger better club then Milan, the statistical freak that is the CL may rank you higher but if you are so insistant on reminding Villa of their place in the world then Milan are a cut above Liverpool again. Now **** off and stop going off topic you drama queens.

As for Barry, press are reporting 14-20m all round ,here's hopinh MON sticks it to Liverpool, i dont think i could take another few days with Liverpool PLC fans stinking up the Villa thread and posting off topic here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Even as a pool fan its easy to see that Liverpool would be a better prospect than Villa for Barry.He has captained them for years and if my memory is correct(and the internet is right:D) has won the intertoto cup.
    In the same time Gerrard has won the fa cup twice,the league cup twice,champions league,uefa and the super cup.He has captained and played for england 63 times.
    Liverpool have a greater chance of champions league football and honours for Barry than Villa.the facts surely back that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

How can Barry justify a few of 15 million pounds. 6 million would be a good deal.

For Liverpool to progress they need to have the bar higher. I would say this even if they were signing someone like McGeady or Jaoquin.

Liverpool need to be buying the best possible. Gareth Barry is not the best possible. They are getting rid of a brilliant cultured midfielder and replacing him with a lad that is quite limited.

If Liverpool were serious, they would be on to Mourinho in the morning, asking about the price of Cambiasso, or hitting Rome for a bit of Daniele De Rossi.

These are the players who win League titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

kida wrote: »
    reading this suggests Liverpool are ranked higher because they have had to qualify - especially the year they didn't qualify by right and went into the first qualifying round;)

If they count, that means that the goals that Kuyt scored in qualifying should count thus making Kuyt the top scorer in the comp last season :eek::D:p:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How can Barry justify a few of 15 million pounds. 6 million would be a good deal.

For Liverpool to progress they need to have the bar higher. I would say this even if they were signing someone like McGeady or Jaoquin.

Liverpool need to be buying the best possible. Gareth Barry is not the best possible. They are getting rid of a brilliant cultured midfielder and replacing him with a lad that is quite limited.

You could have said the same about Carrick and Hargreaves.
    Barry has been limited by the players he's played with at Villa but I believe he will shine at Liverpool.

5 Pages and 3 of them discussion amongst egotistical Liverpool fans wondering how 'big' their club is, suuurrre you are a bigger better club then Milan, the statistical freak that is the CL may rank you higher but if you are so insistant on reminding Villa of their place in the world then Milan are a cut above Liverpool again. Now **** off and stop going off topic you drama queens.

As for Barry, press are reporting 14-20m all round ,here's hopinh MON sticks it to Liverpool, i dont think i could take another few days with Liverpool PLC fans stinking up the Villa thread and posting off topic here.

funny how you find that three pages are "egotisical liverpool fans" but fail to point out all the posts taking a pop at Liverpool. All these "egotistical fans" are doing is defending their club when people are having a pop at it.

Every second post u've made for weeks has been drenched in bitterness.You've been pissing me off for weeks with this topic.i hope it comes to a close so i no longer have to read the drivel you write.

Milan are a cut above Liverpool?

Milan:17 leagues,7 European Cups,10 Domestic Cups.
    Liverpool:18 Leagues,5 European Cups,14 Domestic Cups.

Hate to break it to you, but you'll have to find other stuff to be bitter about cause Milan and Liverpool are extremely comparable as clubs, in fact their records are quite similar. We pip it on leagues, they pip it on CL, we pip it on Cups.

• Advertisement

What?...Hargreaves is a top class midfielder....worthy of most teams.

Carrick is good for United because he's not exactly first choice. This indicates Man Utd strength.

We are talking about Barry as a player who is going to go into the Liverpool team and change it into a title winning team....Not in a million years. Selling Xabi and replacing him with (I admit) a good midfielder is a step back.

What?...Hargreaves is a top class midfielder....worthy of most teams.

Carrick is good for United because he's not exactly first choice. This indicates Man Utd strength.

We are talking about Barry as a player who is going to go into the Liverpool team and change it into a title winning team....Not in a million years. Selling Xabi and replacing him with (I admit) a good midfielder is a step back.

If Barry is limited then so is Hargreaves. You are looking at Barry from a position of what he has done at Villa but he will be a different player at Liverpool as he has shown when playing for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xabi and replacing him with (I admit) a good midfielder is a step back.

How is it a step back? 1 midfielder is performing the other isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Event, i believe it was just being pointed out to people who were saying that Liverpool would not be such an attractive prospect for Barry.

When in reality, Liverpool operate on a different level to Villa altogether.

ah here, it was villa lads, of course they want to believe they are close to liverpool. you dont have to respond, most football fans will know pool are a good bit ahead of villa

i wonder will this move harm him in the england reckoning and i wonder has he discussed it with capello. If he doesn't play as much will capello still favour him in midfield. also, if rafa decides to move him to left back occasionally or the wing, will this harm his international chances too?
    capello has indicated he will pick players on form and preferably in the positions they play for clubs

What has he shown for England? Scoring against Trinidad? A good match against Estonia a while back.

Do you support Liverpool? If so, then I'm happy for you that you consider Barry a good signing who will help Liverpool progress, but Liverpool have a history of buyind dead wood under the last two managers(and I like Benitez)

Barry in my opinion hasn't got what it takes for when it matters.....I watched him against Sunderland this season(ive seen him more than this) and Andy Reid is just a far more brilliant player than him. Much more cultured...just much more brilliant. If you want a player who would look class with top players, Andy Reid is the man. Imagine his vision with Torres movement? Class.

*I'm not advising Liverpool buy Andy Reid by the way*

Esteban; i miss you when you dont post here :)

Boggles wrote: »
    How is it a step back? 1 midfielder is performing the other isn't.

If you think Barry would get near the Spanish team, I would find that quite comical.

If Barcelona want a midfielder tommorow you can be damn sure Alonso will be much higher in the pecking order than Gareth Barry.

What position is Barry going to play anyway? Left wing? Or is Gerrard going to play off Torres and then you will have Mascherano and Barry in the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus what is with some Pool fans, they come into the Villa thread to talk about the Barry Transfer saga and end up posting all about Liverpool then I start a thread about the Transfer only and they keep going on about their rank in Europe, and don't say its on topic because it shows how Liverpool are a better for Barry to play for.

Any Soccer fans with half an ass never mind a brain knows Liverpool are a better team and have better chances at the moment of winning trophies than Villa. But Steve Sidwell left Reading to have a better chance of winning trophies and well Chelsea might have done well but he hardly got a look in.

I'm a life long Barry fan and I think he has been great for Villa but is no better than Alonso, Gerrard or Mashercano and if Liverpool want to push on they need to look at more options than paying way over the top for an English midfielder like UTD did on Carrick and Hargreaves.

If Barry stays at Villa he is the club Captain playing in his best and favourite position and first to be put on the team sheet every week by one of the best Managers in the League, he can help build and develop a young team to challenge for the top 4 with a manager and owner that have the club and the games best interests at heart.

Or he can join a team that already is in the top 4 but doesn't look likely to catch Chelsea or Utd anytime soon and runs the risk of been played in any left side position or even on the bench quite a bit and under a Manager that surely won't last another season without winning the league or at the very least pushing very close for it and winning other trophies and also under owners that have fallen out and look a complete mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you think Barry would get near the Spanish team, I would find that quite comical.

If Barcelona want a midfielder tommorow you can be damn sure Alonso will be much higher in the pecking order than Gareth Barry.

What position is Barry going to play anyway? Left wing? Or is Gerrard going to play off Torres and then you will have Mascherano and Barry in the middle?

Stick to reality, who has been performing regardless of circumstance, Barry or Alonso?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    funny how you find that three pages are "egotisical liverpool fans" but fail to point out all the posts taking a pop at Liverpool. All these "egotistical fans" are doing is defending their club when people are having a pop at it.

Every second post u've made for weeks has been drenched in bitterness.You've been pissing me off for weeks with this topic.i hope it comes to a close so i no longer have to read the drivel you write.

Yawn:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Barry in my opinion hasn't got what it takes for when it matters.....I watched him against Sunderland this season(ive seen him more than this) and Andy Reid is just a far more brilliant player than him. Much more cultured...just much more brilliant. If you want a player who would look class with top players, Andy Reid is the man. Imagine his vision with Torres movement? Class.

OOPS, I made the mistake of taking you seriously.

I didn't say who was more effective.

You can't seriously tell me Barry is a better footballer than Andy Reid. Reid has better passing and better vision.

This is commonly said, but I know who would do better in La Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I didn't say who was more effective.

You can't seriously tell me Barry is a better footballer than Andy Reid. Reid has better passing and better vision.

This is commonly said, but I know who would do better in La Liga.

Yes but the difference is that Garreth Barry can actually run....
    Andy Reid is better than Garreth Barry, ive heard it all now!

What are you talking about? Reid has very good acceleration, probably faster than Barry, and is extremely fit.

Esteban; if you had a choice between Barry or Reid to play for your beloved Roma, who would you pick?

honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

5 Pages and 3 of them discussion amongst egotistical Liverpool fans wondering how 'big' their club is

5 pages?! It was just over 1 page for me when you posted.
    Perhaps you should consider increasing your posts per page?

It would cut down on all those awful pages, more egos per page, more egonomical.

:pac:

I don't exactly love Roma, but other than Bohemians(during the summer months) and Ireland, there the only team I care in the slightest if they win or lose. Just clearing that up..I don't want to pretend to be so passionate when I'm not.

But anyway. I wouldn't take Reid because he wouldn't improve the team, and I wouldn't take Barry either for the same reason.

It would all depend on the situation, if De Rossi left, and players at an above average level were my only option, I would go for Barry...if Pizarro or Aquilani left and I had to choose players at just an above avergae/good player I would go for Reid.

Remeber I don't care. Ideally if Chelsea keep their current set of players, then I would want Liverpool to win the league. I don't think Barry would be at that level. As Dunphy says ''we're talking about the highest bar here''...its not Uefa cup qualification or even champions league, we're talking about the big cheese, the holy grail...etc. etc.

The only reason I watch EPL, is the coverage, I like football, and to see the Irish players do well.

Thanks for clearing that up!

(i'm more confused than before you answered!:))

The-Rigger wrote: »
    5 pages?! It was just over 1 page for me when you posted.
    Perhaps you should consider increasing your posts per page?

It would cut down on all those awful pages, more egos per page, more egonomical.

:pac:

What?

Anyhoo with Benyaoun being linked i do think £15m + Benayoun is a serious piece of business, so long Barry thanks for all the missed penalties!

• Advertisement

Ok simply for Liverpool Barry would make more sense, but as a squad player. 6 million as I said would be a good deal.

When I mention Reid, that is the level I put Barry on. Two good footballers....with Barry probably being more influential at a push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I could say something smart about this post but i'll let you keep making a fool of yourself for everyones entertainment:pac:

What?

Anyhoo with Benyaoun being linked i do think £15m + Benayoun is a serious piece of business, so long Barry thanks for all the missed penalties!

rafa wont do business unless he thinks its a fair deal.

yossi incl is not.

we bought him for 5 last year and he has done quite excellently for us.

10m and yossi would be more like it, even that would mean yous would be getting the better end of the deal, but not so much that it'd force rafa into a rethink i wouldnt imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Andy Reid is the new 15m target for Liverpool, after speaking to his representative Estabancambias we recieved this statement "You can't seriously tell me Barry is a better footballer than Andy Reid. Reid has better passing and better vision" and it seems Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez agrees. (The Sun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The lad really isn't the model pro hes been made out to be. All these comments from his agent have definitely been used by him to engineer a transfer without having to come out and say anything himself and become universally hated by Villa fans.

Martin O'Neill really made him the player he was and I wish him nothing but failure at Liverpool, and aside from maybe a Champions League semifinal, I thoroughly believe he'll get that failure. Villa should move on from this, and look for players who actually want to play for the club. Not players who play well to attract interest from other clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

DSB wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill really made him the player he was and I wish him nothing but failure at Liverpool.
    As do I.
    Yours sincerely,
    Disgruntled in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Well, he's been used to failure at Villa so anything will be an improvement at Liverpool.
    Look, he plays for Villa, has a chance to play for Liverpool. It's a no brainer. Get over it, Villa players will always aspire to play for Liverpool, Arsenal or Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well, he's been used to failure at Villa so anything will be an improvement at Liverpool.
    Look, he plays for Villa, has a chance to play for Liverpool. It's a no brainer. Get over it, Villa players will always aspire to play for Liverpool, Arsenal or Utd.
    Most apt username on the whole of boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Putting Liverpool in the same bracket as Utd is hilarious. Delusions of grandeur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

wow. The amount of bitterness in this thread is rediculous. The guy has been with Villa for something like 10 years hasn't he ? He deserves more respect. Wishing him failure just because he aspires to play champions league football is hilarious. Hes 27, if he doesnt move now he may not get another chance to move to a bigger club.

If he stays, hes banking Villa breaking into the top four which is no mean feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

or chelsea.

All players obviously want to progress.

On Estebans point from a while ago that got no mention, before the Reid stuff, about aiming higher to be winning the league and going for Cambiasso or De Rossi. Im afraid i dont think we can afford them, and as a result (of not buying those, or similerly rated players in CM or out wide) I dont think we'll have much chance of winning the league. We could put up a challenge, btu unless we pull out some serious business before the season starts, i think Chelsea 2.0 and ManU will have too much.

Barry's a very good player, about the best we can afford i think. Very consistent in the league and has a lot to offer.

On the topic of him dropping out of england running etc, Barry most likely will only be coming if Xabi goes, so he Will be playing plenty. I'd be absolutely astonished if he didn't play 80 to 90% of games next year, almost entirely in CM. Thats prob between 45 and 50 games.

Its not he was a rediculously loyal guy up till now even, he was practically on his bike before MON and Lerner joined. I dont think he stayed out of loyalty, he stayed because money and a quality manager came in. He personally now judges that his best chance of making the most of his peak years now is to come to pool.

DSB, he wouldn't make the Man U or chelsea teams regularly enough and Arsenal dont seem to be bidding, so pool are pretty much the only option if he wants to move.

Id be pissed off if i were a villa fan, just as i was pissed off with Gerrard for almost leaving, but its life, these guys put their careers first, and i cant blame them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement