Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barry Transfer Saga, will he go to Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So why hasn't he handed in a transfer request?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Villain wrote: »
    So why hasn't he handed in a transfer request?

3 times in that MON quote he refers to Barry having said he wants to go (one of which was "he wanted to join Liverpool").

Please explain what part of those 3 statements equates to Gareth Barry not requesting a transfer ?

eigrod wrote: »
    3 times in that MON quote he refers to Barry having said he wants to go (one of which was "he wanted to join Liverpool").

Please explain what part of those 3 statements equates to Gareth Barry not requesting a transfer ?
    Oh god, do I have to explain what handing in a transfer request means and the consequences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The part where he hasn't formally handed in his written transfer request.

Villain wrote: »
    Oh god, do I have to explain what handing in a transfer request means and the consequences?

No.

So Martin O' Neill says that Barry has asked for a move. Now, tell us....how do you know, and where and when was it stated, that Barry did not hand in a transfer request ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Man you're not getting this are you? There has been no formal transfer request submitted by the player. I thought that was obvious.
    Apparently the player saying he'd "like to join Liverpool" doesn't constitute a transfer request. No point getting snotty with us, we don't make up the rules or contracts.

So, just to recap, Barry could have handed in a Transfer Request and forfeited loyalty payments as well as a lucrative testimonial, but he chose not to, for reasons we can only assume are purely financial because otherwise it makes no sense.

Slightly on topic, but here's an article by Gary Linekar a few years ago, regarding Tapping up, and an insight into how transfers work - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2346447/Tapping-up-isn%27t-illegal%2C-so-why-have-this-stupid-rule.html

Savman wrote: »
    Man you're not getting this are you? There has been no formal transfer request submitted by the player. I thought that was obvious.
    Apparently the player saying he'd "like to join Liverpool" doesn't constitute a transfer request. No point getting snotty with us, we don't make up the rules or contracts.

So, just to recap, Barry could have handed in a Transfer Request and forfeited loyalty payments as well as a lucrative testimonial, but he chose not to, for reasons we can only assume are purely financial because otherwise it makes no sense.

I'm not getting snotty with anyone. I just want you to show me where Barry or his agent have said that he has not requested a transfer ?

Valid question and there may well be an answer, I just haven't seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

just out of curiousity, do you have any links/statements from from Villa,MON,the general to confirm this?

or are you speculating?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

MON should have acted better IMO.

It's not professional, and that's my problem.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa... compared to Rafa!!!!? You're livin in a dreamland!

Rafa has been reported twice to the FA in as many months by 2 different clubs for the manner of his approach for their players, and you're callin MON unprofessional!??!!??!?! Hahahahaha... You should do stand-up man.... Seriously, I'm all wet...

You're so non-sensical.

... Anyway, enough of all that high-jinks! My 2nd favourite newspaper, after The SUN of course, is the Birmingham Mail. They're always fairly clued-in. Read what they have to say...!

No going back on Gareth Barry now for Aston Villa

Jul 31 2008 By Bill Howell

ASTON Villa are adamant their deadline to pull the plug on the Gareth Barry to Liverpool deal was no sham and that the England midfielder will be remaining at Villa Park.

Following talks on Monday between Villa manager Martin O’Neill, club owner Randy Lerner, Barry’s agent Alex Black and the player, O’Neill has insisted the matter is now closed regardless of what Liverpool do over the next four weeks until the transfer window closes.

The England star fancied a move to Merseyside but has also grown weary at the lack of urgency from Anfield and, coupled with the superb reaction he got from Villa fans last Saturday during the game against Odense, he appears willing to give the club one more season.

Villa insist there will be no further negotiations and point to a 5pm Wednesday cut-off having been agreed on Monday with Liverpool and Barry.

A club statement last night read: “This evening Aston Villa can announce that Gareth Barry will be staying with the club following the interest from Liverpool over recent months

“During discussions in the past few days a final deadline to conclude this episode was set that all parties were aware of and agreed to.

‘‘This deadline has now passed and so Gareth will remain with Villa.”

O’Neill is thought to be resolute that whatever happens over the coming days or weeks, he will not consider selling Barry.

“Naturally we’re all absolutely delighted that Gareth will be staying at Villa Park and relieved to find a resolution and closure to the saga,” said O’Neill in an early statement released by the club.

“We had a very positive meeting on Monday when it was agreed between Gareth, his agent, Mr Lerner and myself that a deadline should be communicated to Liverpool to finally resolve the situation.

‘‘Liverpool were informed and that deadline came and passed. Now we can all look forward to the coming season with relief, anticipation and ambition.

• Advertisement

I'm not getting snotty with anyone. I just want you to show me where Barry or his agent have said that he has not requested a transfer ?

Valid question and there may well be an answer, I just haven't seen it.
    You want us to show you where something doesn't exist? :confused:
    If Barry did submit it, it would have been public knowledge a la the Robbie Keane situation.

Anyway, I can't be bothered trawling thru half a million articles on the issue, 2 seconds googling would have given you plenty of reading http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=gareth+barry+transfer+request&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Now, let's move on shall we?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    just out of curiousity, do you have any links/statements from from Villa,MON,the general to confirm this?

or are you speculating?
    It's not speculating. If someone was to talk about Barry's supposed transfer request, THAT is speculating. Until now it's been widely reported that to date he hasn't submitted one. I doubt something so crucial would have been kept under wraps in all fairness.

You want us to show you where something doesn't exist? :confused:
    If Barry did submit it, it would have been public knowledge a la the Robbie Keane situation.

Anyway, I can't be bothered trawling thru half a million articles on the issue, 2 seconds googling would have given you plenty of reading http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=gareth+barry+transfer+request&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Now, let's move on shall we?

I have been googling it, and to be honest, the first 3 pages were all MON & Aston Villa spin.

The only statement I can come across from any of the parties is the one where MON said 3 times that Barry asked for a move.

Therfore, I'm still looking for something from any party stating that Gareth Barry has not looked for a move (i.e. a formal one) ??????

wynters wrote: »
    Rafa has been reported twice to the FA in as many months by 2 different clubs for the manner of his approach for their players, and you're callin MON unprofessional!??!!??!?!

can someone please ask the adorable Wynters why he keeps pretending that Liverpool have been reported to the FA twice in the last month?

he has me on ignore, so i cant. please.

I have been googling it, and to be honest, the first 3 pages were all MON & Aston Villa spin.
    :rolleyes:
    The only statement I can come across from any of the parties is the one where MON said 3 times that Barry asked for a move.
    As I said already, for some reason (unbeknownst to most of us) this does not equate to a formal transfer request, or so we've all been led to believe. Maybe it's been done secretly but I would've thought MON & Villa could've used any transfer request in the PR battle with the fans. Plus, it would've knocked a coupla mill off the price and Barry woulda been gone. All evidence points to Barry not submitting anything in writing.

I would've thought MON & Villa could've used any transfer request in the PR battle with the fans. Plus, it would've knocked a coupla mill off the price and Barry woulda been gone. All evidence points to Barry not submitting anything in writing.

i would have thought the total opposite.

Quite understandably, all along MON has said he wants to keep Barry.

Yesterday he went on about how delighted he was that he'd be staying.

If it was MONs goal to keep Barry all along surely he would keep the transfer request quiet in order to make it possible for the fans to forgive and forget and make it easier for him to convince Barry to stay.

i would have thought the total opposite.

Quite understandably, all along MON has said he wants to keep Barry.

Yesterday he went on about how delighted he was that he'd be staying.

If it was MONs goal to keep Barry all along surely he would keep the transfer request quiet in order to make it possible for the fans to forgive and forget and make it easier for him to convince Barry to stay.
    I think that's clutching at straws. It's more likely that given Barry's refusal to forfeit hefty bonus payments, MON had to hold out for a high asking price knowing that he'd lose a good chunk of it to a player who was heading for the exit door.
    That certainly makes a whole lot more economical sense than the alternative.

MON & Villa could've used any transfer request in the PR battle with the fans. Plus, it would've knocked a coupla mill off the price and Barry woulda been gone.

Aha !

So there is no evidence from Barry or his agent to say that a transfer request has been made. Most Villa posters on here seem adamant that Barry has not submitted a transfer request.

The only person to say this was MON when he stated 3 times that Barry asked for a move, even as far back as early June.

Now why would would Martin O' Neill say this ? Let me re-read that part of your post again..........
    MON & Villa could've used any transfer request in the PR battle with the fans. Plus, it would've knocked a coupla mill off the price and Barry woulda been gone.

MON would never be so manipulative, would he ? Hmmmmmm.

would any bonus/loyalty payments not be matched by his improved wages over the season with Liverpool.

I'd imagine they would be very close to be anyway.

personally, i'd be suprised;

1)in modern football contracts, trying to force your clubs hand by giving an interview where you say you want to leave was not deemed a transfer request and any loyalty payments due cancelled.

2)he hasn't handed one in anyway. especially considering MONs "Barry has made it very clear to us he wants to go to Liverpool"

MON would never be so manipulative, would he ? Hmmmmmm.
    Of course he would? I don't geddit, what the hell are you arguing here exactly? I'm trying to tell you that, all things considered it's highly unlikely Barry has submitted a transfer request. To suggest he has and that MON is using it in some kind of conspiracy theory is totally far fetched.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    would any bonus/loyalty payments not be matched by his improved wages over the season with Liverpool.
    Probably. I haven't got the first damn clue about the ins and outs of transfer deals, I'm not gonna pretend I do. I just thought that it was widely accepted and general consensus that no transfer request has been submitted.

That's what all the press have been saying all along, so like I say unless it's been all kept a big secret then we can take it that it hasn't happened. It's not really rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

That's what all the press have been saying all along, so like I say unless it's been all kept a big secret then we can take it that it hasn't happened. It's not really rocket science.

No, it's widely accepted by Villa fans.
    Not the same thing.

And please, care to post the links in the press that state that Barry hasn't submitted a transfer request?
    I've seen nothing in the press about an official transfer request for months, and assumed it was accepted that he did.

In fact, is part of the new offer being given to Barry right now that he would get the testimonial, that he lost by requesting to leave, back?

That's the only indicator in public knowledge, and it suggests that yes, a transfer request has been made.

Of course, if you can show me all the media quotes that you're talking about, I'll gladly reivaluate.

can someone please ask the adorable Wynters why he keeps pretending that Liverpool have been reported to the FA twice in the last month?

he has me on ignore, so i cant. please.

Here you go.
    To be honest I'd be happy if Wynters "ignored" me.
    ;)

Oh and Wynters, please don't respond to me here, I just ignore you at this stage.
    I stopped conversing with children when I left school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

AFAIK, Barry could have gone on SSN live, said he hated Villa and demanded a move to Liverpool and it still wouldnt have been a transfer request. A transfer request is an official document a player and his agent has to sign and submit to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I stopped conversing with children when I left school.

You did? What a strange life to lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Guys, I don't care who has who on ignore and what fueds are going on.

Talk about the topic and the posts.

If you're having lover's quarrels, keep it to yourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Boards has certainly hit an all time low on this one.. Some major ****tards!

Archimedes wrote: »
    AFAIK, Barry could have gone on SSN live, said he hated Villa and demanded a move to Liverpool and it still wouldnt have been a transfer request. A transfer request is an official document a player and his agent has to sign and submit to the club.

Nobody is arguing that.

The issue is that some people here think that seing as neither Barry, Villa or Liverpool have said there has been an official request that there has been none.

None of us know, but some of us don't insist on one side or the other.

The last time Barry spoke he was stripped of the captancy, fined £60,000 and banned from the ground.
    I think it's safe to say that neither Barry, nor anyone with him (agent etc) will say anything.
    And Liverpool are having accusations thrown at them left right and center, so have stopped saying anything.

So Neither Liverpool or Barry are going to say whether a transfer request has been put through.
    Villa are trying to say that there's no issue and lets all go back to normal, so logic would dictate that they wouldn't mention any request made.

But it's been portrayed as all but fact that there has been no transfer request made by some.
    Facts should be backed up, not acepted blindly.

No vandettas I just think that well reasoned posts should e responded in kind.
    Not beboesque rants.

I love an argument, but only withsomebody who knows what they're talking about.
    Most posters in this thread are fine, and while usually I avoid this place, I've started to laugh at the whole affair recently, and think it's farcical.
    Surely everyone can see how funny it's all gotten.
    LFC and AV are like two school children.
    It's getting to the stage where I'm not sure if they know why they're fighting anymore.

Group hug?!!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair lads, it is incredibly unlikely that Barry has submitted a transfer request. If he had it would be public knowledge. Either himself or Black would have said it. Its serves them no purpose to keep it quiet if they had as it shows his desire to leave, that he was willing to forego his stake of the transfer fee. Meanwhile it suits him to not mention that he hasn't requested one as it shows he wants the cash out of the deal.

There would surely be at least one article saying "barry submits transfer request", but instead a google search brings up things like;
    15 Jul 2008 ... Time for Gareth Barry to submit an official transfer request

16 Jul 2008 ... The transfer of Gareth Barry from Aston Villa has taken a bizarre new ... It is all Barry’s fault, if he puts in a transfer request he would ...

Gareth Barry could hand in a transfer request in an effort to force through a move to Liverpool, despite Aston Villa saying the deal is dead. ...

Barry has thus far refused to submit a transfer request as he’d ...

31 Jul 2008 ... Are Liverpool still going to sign Gareth Barry? ... He may even submit a transfer request, something he has not felt the need to do hitherto ...
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=gareth+barry+transfer+request&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

And, Wynters, just for you here's the search results of "Aston Villa report Liverpool"
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=aston+villa+report+liverpool&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
    Note the lack of relevent hits.

• Advertisement

here's another article from yesterday saying the same;

Gareth Barry could hand in a transfer request in an effort to force through a move to Liverpool despite Aston Villa saying the deal is dead.

The midfielder has yet to formally request a move - despite telling the media that he wants to play for Liverpool - because it would see him lose a loyalty bonus.

But now reports suggest that the Reds will encourage Barry to hand in a transfer request to try and force Villa to accept an offer despite the passing of a deadline.

Although Villa have declared the deal dead after Liverpool failed to come up with the funds by 5pm on Wednesday - with suggestions that the Reds missed the deadline by 15-20 minutes - there is cynicism that the story is over.

The Daily Mail is still sticking by their Wednesday afternoon exclusive that Liverpool have come up with a £19m deal that involves Steve Finnan moving the other way and claim that the deal will go through on Thursday.

This despite Martin O'Neill declaring: "Naturally we're all absolutely delighted that Gareth will be staying at Villa Park and relieved to find a resolution and closure to the saga," said O'Neill.

"We had a very positive meeting on Monday when it was agreed between Gareth, his agent [Alex Black], Mr [Randy] Lerner [the chairman] and myself that a deadline should be communicated to Liverpool to finally resolve the situation. Liverpool were informed and that deadline came and passed. Now we can all look forward to the coming season with relief, anticipation and ambition."
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3890245,00.html

god damn this insomnia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/08/01/barry-remains-keen-on-liverpool/

Summary: Barry still wants to move. Liverpool have money in place and Barry thinks Villa jumped the gun with their announcement minutes after the supposed deadline had passed (although I personally see a deadline as a deadline if it was agreed to by all). He spoke to MON yesterday about the new contract but chances of him signing are slim.

No journo associated with the article so not sure how reliable it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Barry is a money grabbing arsehole in my eyes now. If he really is that desperate to play at the next level why care about the money which he's losing out on.

It's all about the money with most professional footballers these days, I know if i was given the opportunity to move on to the next level I'd jump at it.

mayordenis wrote: »
    just a little point about how o neill has really kept this in the media all by himself.
    FWIW I agree 110% with O'Neill's sentiments in the first article about the timing. Barry's head was turned with 2 games of huge importance still remaining.

Barry's head was turned with 2 games of huge importance still remaining.

Running a slight risk of repeating myself. But MON broke the story publically. Probably shouldnt have done that if he wanted his players concentration on the button.

• Advertisement

Running a slight risk of repeating myself. But MON broke the story publically. Probably shouldnt have done that if he wanted his players concentration on the button.
    The player was obviously already aware of Liverpool's interest by then, he had done some interview with the tabloids about how he'd need to be selfish in the summer for sake of his career etc etc.
    I didn't see Villa's final game but I remember there being a general sentiment floating around that Barry wasn't at the races that day, a lot of fans saying he played like he had one foot out the door.

I don't think it would have killed Liverpool to wait a coupla weeks in fairness.

The player was obviously already aware of Liverpool's interest by then, he had done some interview with the tabloids about how he'd need to be selfish in the summer for sake of his career etc etc.
    I didn't see Villa's final game but I remember there being a general sentiment floating around that Barry wasn't at the races that day, a lot of fans saying he played like he had one foot out the door.

I don't think it would have killed Liverpool to wait a coupla weeks in fairness.

wait to do wat? O'neill broke the story.

and didnt Barry score in the last game of the season against WestHam or am i totally confused?

wait to do wat? O'neill broke the story.

and didnt Barry score in the last game of the season against WestHam or am i totally confused?

That he did, scored to put Villa in front, before they were pegged back just before full time.

http://www.football-lineups.com/match/11211/
    And it was no more than the Midlanders deserved when captain Barry, the subject of a very public transfer bid from Liverpool, burst through the middle and carved open the defence to play Reo-Coker through.

Although Reo-Coker's shot was parried by Green, Barry was perfectly placed to steer home the rebound in front of the travelling fans.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7381806.stm

Roundabout_diagram.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

• Advertisement

Redandwhitekop couldnt be more unoriginal.

That was done years ago with "Torres Signs" on redcafe.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Redandwhitekop couldnt be more unoriginal.

That was done years ago with "Torres Signs" on redcafe.

Afaik this is done on almost all fansites when there's a transfer rumour going round.

I doubt redcafe came up with it, I remember seeing some american sports ones about 10 years ago (think it was Jordan to some random franchise)

zAbbo wrote: »
    Afaik this is done on almost all fansites when there's a transfer rumour going round.

I doubt redcafe came up with it, I remember seeing some american sports ones about 10 years ago (think it was Jordan to some random franchise)

Meh, prove it.

Archi, just stop, for the love of god.

Its a joke that happens in all sports, Utd didnt invent it.

Haha, I <3 United fans, pedanticism ftw!

Of course it was started on redcafe, about 2 years ago :)

They also invented the John O'Shea song...

zAbbo wrote: »
    Haha, I <3 United fans, pedanticism ftw!

Of course it was started on redcafe, about 2 years ago :)

They also invented the John O'Shea song...

Relax dude, I was kidding. Probably didnt make it clear enough now that I look back, but I was taking the piss ut of the constant argueing in this thread.

My bad. ;)

Brian Reades take on this "saga":
    O'Neill power play won't work. . but he is right to lay down law over Barry
    2/08/2008

When Martin O'Neill left school he studied law at Queen's University in Belfast.

As a player under Brian Clough he majored in grinding more skilful opponents into irrelevance. As Leicester's manager he negotiated an eight-week summer window which allowed him to talk to other clubs, meaning the final game of every season saw teary-eyed fans sporting "Please Stay Martin" placards.

And when the Soho suits interviewed him for the England job he refused to lick dead slugs off their Hush Puppies, so they gave the job to someone who would, Steve McClaren.

O'Neill has always marched to the beat of his own drum. At times he comes across as eccentric (remember him using screenwriter William Goldman's quote "nobody knows anything" during the 2006 World Cup as fellow BBC pundits spouted drivel?) And many think it's his eccentricity which has forced the Gareth Barry transfer saga to fatigue us to the brink of suicide.

In the modern era, cynics say, you can't hold a player when his heart is set on a move to a bigger club.

And they are probably right. Which O'Neill knows.

But out of pride and obstinacy, the wannabe lawyer has decided to filibuster. To take a stand. To invent a new strategy to fend off predators hovering over your star player. It goes like this: Publicly denigrate the reputation of the bigger club who are after your man, go on holiday (or on the telly) and ignore the player's pleas to be set free, demand an over-the-top transfer fee, stick rigidly to it, and set a deadline a month before the end of the transfer window.

When the pursuers finally come up with the cash, change the rules at the last minute about how you want it paid so they miss that deadline, announce you're delighted the player is staying then pray you have so drained the life out of all parties that the deal is dead. It's called Boring A Transfer To Death.

It may have Barry and Rafa Benitez tearing their hair out and it may backfire badly on O'Neill, but by refusing to yield to player power and Big Four power, he has done the game a favour.

He knows he's lost Barry and probably lost him this summer. But he's throwing down the gauntlet to clubs who think that next time they'll lure away Ashley Young or Gabriel Agbonlahor. Take me on and I'll fight you all the way, screw up your summer and hopefully grind you into submission. Many Villa fans say he should accept the situation, take the money and get a few new faces in.

But they overlook the point he's making about the size of their club. He's saying he's not at Leicester now. He doesn't need to sell to buy, and doesn't feel it's his duty to allow a player to move to a big club because they are already at one.

Those Liverpool fans who think he's acting like a mad bag lady should ask themselves this: How would you have felt if Chelsea had followed up their interest in Fernando Torres and bid £50million, with the Spaniard (and the American board) being tempted?

Would you have wanted Benitez to roll over and wave him goodbye? Or say OK, it's £70m, paid up front in cash, plus Shaun Wright-Phillips. Nothing less.

Then brazened it out in the hope that Chelsea grew weary and looked somewhere else. I think we know the answer.

Boring A Transfer To Death. Like garlic bread, it's the future.

He's probably lost Barry, but O'Neill is throwing down the gauntlet to clubs who think they'll get Young or Agbonlahor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Good article.

i pm'd you DSB :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement