Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barry Transfer Saga, will he go to Liverpool

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

good article and it probably sums it up correctly, tis like I said at the start dont sell unless its 100% on our terms and for a rediculous price. Barry is/was Villa's captain and one of the best players at the club (Young is the best), therefore he is not the type of player any club should let go so unless we get an offer too good to refuse.

wonder what price-tag MON would put on Youngs head if he had to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

312 million pounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i pm'd you DSB :)

Yeah I got it but I didn't understand it.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

mayordenis wrote: »
    just a little point about how o neill has really kept this in the media all by himself.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3509724,00.html

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

It's GAS!!! listenin to scousers bangin on about the media thing in such a matter-of-fact way... ha ha ha! Talk about brainwashed!!!?! :D

O'Neill slams Reds' Barry bid
    Villa boss left fuming at Liverpool tactics
    By Graeme Bailey Last updated: 3rd May 2008

It is certainly not the way the Liverpool of old would have conducted business.

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill has launched a scathing attack on Liverpool after it emerged they had made a bid for Gareth Barry.

Reports emerged on Merseyside early on Friday that a bid of around £14million, which included players - with Peter Crouch and Scott Carson mentioned - had been lodged with Villa for their captain.

O'Neill has now confirmed that a bid has been made by The Reds, but the Northern Irish coach was left seething with how it has come to light.

The news has come out just 24 hours ahead of their crucial Premier League clash with Wigan as Villa are locked in a battle with Everton for fifth place and the only Uefa Cup place available through the league.

"I think that what we had, was that I thought Gareth said he would prefer to wait until the end of the season before discussing things and I think that is right to do so," he told Sky Sports News.

"It is particularly disappointing to find out that Liverpool, I think, have carried the story in their local paper - it is certainly not the way the Liverpool of old would have conducted business and I prefer to do it in a bit of privacy with a bit of confidentiality and it is disappointing especially at this time with two games to go.

"But they have done their bit by qualifying for the Champions League, which is great, their interest this season has ended and therefore I would rather be waiting until the end of the season, but I suppose there is a point that if Liverpool happened to be listening - he has two years left on his contract and he is not one, in my experience with him, is not one who would break contracts lightly."

O'Neill confirmed a bid had been launched and said it was a player plus cash offer.

"They haven't made a straight cash offer," he continued.

"They have made a mish-mash of nameless players in exchange.

"As I said I am particularly disappointed to find our business being conducted in public.

"I want to be clear, I want to build a club here, we are not a feeder club - we want to try to challenge, at some stage, we want to get to the position that this club once held [European champions] and this demands an awful lot of effort, a supreme effort, and that will take very good players and I don't want to be in the position of letting players, really good players go and Gareth Barry is a really good player who still has two years left on his contract."

O'Neill added that he is yet to talk over the situation with his captain.

"I haven't discussed these things with him - obviously I will do," he continued.

"But the day before our most important game is not the time to be discussing it. I would prefer they would go back to their practice of old when they did business in the proper fashion."

Oh, now it makes sense. You PMed me the wrong thread haha.

wynters wrote: »
    O'Neill has now confirmed that a bid has been made by The Reds

O'Neill confirmed a bid had been launched and said it was a player plus cash offer.

"As I said I am particularly disappointed to find our business being conducted in public."

most important parts of that article.

stinking hypoctrite.

Wynters you breeze in here every few days, say stuff that makes no sense and doesnt add up (liverpool reported to the FA for tapping up twice in the last month) then disappear again.

annoying to say the least.

oh to have been a fly on the wall here!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/08/02/exclusive-benitez-and-o-neill-come-face-to-face-over-gareth-barry-115875-20680937/
    Rafa Benitez and Martin O'Neill came face to face last night - but still couldn't settle the cold war over Gareth Barry.

The Liverpool manager and his Aston Villa counterpart - who have been squabbling over the England midfielder - gave each other a distinctly frosty reception.

The pair were forced to wait in the same room at a work permit tribunal in Sheffield as both clubs applied for visas for their players. Nothing more than grim acknowledgments were offered as the stand-off over Barry grew ever more acrimonious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Barry was an unused sub in Villa's friendly today. Steve Finnan wasn't in Liverpool's squad of 22 in their 4-0 win at Rangers.

Methinks that says a lot.

• Advertisement

O'Neill has just told SSN that if Liverpool meet the 18m he can go.

The bloke is an amateur in the market, ****in clueless

O'Neill has just told SSN that if Liverpool meet the 18m he can go.

The bloke is an amateur in the market, ****in clueless

After hearing that I can't help but agree. That is pure idiocy. Was the interview definitely filmed after the deadline passed though?

not sure, i just flicked over there at the end. i'm sure it'll appear online soon

I don't think it can be true. O'Neill isn't that weak a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

MON has confirmed it on the Villa site.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

DSB wrote: »
    I don't think it can be true. O'Neill isn't that weak a person.

Setanta sport news just said the same. edit : same as sky sports
    Quoted O'Neill as saying Barry deal could be back on.

It's true.

It's on Villa's website now : http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1357014,00.html

Joke of a man, joke of a club after this debacle.

Yeah he has truly dragged us through the mud at this stage. Just want Barry gone, and this over with now.

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1357014,00.html

ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D ha:D
    MON wrote:
    There will be no deadline and Liverpool have all the time in the world now to sign Gareth Barry

wynters wrote: »
    Jolly bad luck scousers...!

:o

• Advertisement

I wouldn't brag too much. It isn't as if Liverpool are gonna get him on the cheap or anything.

DSB wrote: »
    I wouldn't brag too much. It isn't as if Liverpool are gonna get him on the cheap or anything.

Only time will tell if it will work out or not, and of course it is a big gamble. However, most Liverpool fans are sick of 3m or 4m signings (stand up Mr. Voronin) over the past 4 or 5 years and will welcome big money signings to follow Torres & Keane. ANmd after the Mancs set down the marker with Michael Carrick, England internationals won't come cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The joke could be that Alonso played really well in his stint against Rangers (okay not the toughest test) and looks determined to impress the boss, is it beyond Rafa saying "I'll leave it" for now?

Mike.

o'neill sounds like he is gonna cry in that SSN interview that was just on :D

On one of the Villa forums :
    "so. we now officially look like the small time club we really are

we try the strong arm tactics - got applauded for being a club willing to stand up to the 'big boys'

yet in reality we've bent over and taken it up the backside again

well done all concerned. this summer just gets better and better"

this is my fav:

One day: Oh yeah Barry is staying im delighted end of story.
    Not long after: Liverpool have all the time in the world to sign Barry.

I didnt want Barry to stay because he wont really want to play that much, but i certainly would rather that than now be known as the joke that is aston villa football club.

i also had to take out a line which called MON a bold name :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This move doesnt really make much sense. Unless he's trying to alienate Liverpool from Barry by saying the option is still there, Liverpool make your move. This may well be part of his attempt to draw Barry back to Villa. That imo is what the quotes seem to suggest:
    "If Liverpool at the end of it do not come up with the money, that's no-one's fault but their own," he said.

"I'd be delighted if that was the case and Gareth stayed but I doubt it very much. The ball is very much in their court.

Placing the issue on Liverpools corner.
    "There will be no deadline and Liverpool will have all the time in the world to sign him. They've got to the end of the transfer window at the end of the month.

Putting it back in Liverpools courts.
    He's trying to set up a situation where it's either
    18 mill or Barry stays, and hoping to try shift it onto Liverpool so that if Barry does stay he'll blame Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Oh dear, just when I thought this thread was dying down.

Transfer sagas this summer are really annoying. Barry, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Arshavin.... F*ck off the lot of ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »
    This move doesnt really make much sense. Unless he's trying to alienate Liverpool from Barry by saying the option is still there, Liverpool make your move. This may well be part of his attempt to draw Barry back to Villa.

i dunno, mentioning that he had hoped Barry would settle back in but that it didn't turn out that way and that Barry and his agent were very unhappy with the situation kind of does the opposite.

If anything it was the kind of talk ('i dont really want players who dont want to play here") that really encourages liverpool to come back with something like 15mill +finnan imo.

Putting it back in Liverpools courts.
    He's trying to set up a situation where it's either
    18 mill or Barry stays, and hoping to try shift it onto Liverpool so that if Barry does stay he'll blame Liverpool.
    only if Barry is really, really stupid and naive, which i dont think he is. The situation you paint above is exactly where everything was before MON came out with this "deadline passed" stuff. Before that it was just the same "pay the money or he stays". He strengthened his position by saying there was a deadline, and then called pool on it by saying it had passed. Now he's simply gone back on all of that and said "actually, yeah he can leave, take as long as you need to sort things out", which imo considerably weakens his position. Gone from him 'winning' yesterday and Barry staying (which he's always said was his goal) to completely folding. I think i'd be surprised now if the deal was done for the full 18mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Liverpool fans laughing at paying 18. Million LOL

• Advertisement

that post doesnt really make much sense PHB, all he is doing is alienating Barry further from Villa fans.

The reaction on Villa forums confirms this, people hoping his legs are broken etc etc.

My reading of the situation is that MON has misread just how much Barry wants the move to Liverpool.

As i have said all along the player holds a lot of the cards in this situation as no club can realistically keep a player who downright does not want to play for them anymore.

Barryhas obviously made it known to him on their meeting on Thurs which is why O'Neill seems so down in the dumps now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

As i have said all along the player holds a lot of the cards in this situation as no club can realistically keep a player who downright does not want to play for them anymore.

F*cking tell me about it...

:o

Villain wrote: »
    Liverpool fans laughing at paying 18. Million LOL

I'm not laughing at that.

I have faith in my managers ability in the transfer market, if he deems Barry worth 18m then fair enough, i'll wait and see how it pans out.

What i am laughing about is that O'Neill very obviously wants to keep Barry, and thought he had it sewn up. In reality, he doesn't. And due to the fact he has done everything so publically throughout the saga, its quite quite embarrasing for him.

read this:

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1354747,00.html

and then this followed a couple of days later:

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1357014,00.html

its funny, MON seems to have no idea wat he is doing.

In the interview he also said, "Liverpool have until the 31st of Aug to sign Barry, or whatever the transfer deadline date is"......

emmmm, Mr O'Neill, considering you manage a PL club and have limitless transfer kitty, you might wanna check that out!

It might be an unrealistic policy, but to me, its the only policy that would make sense from MONs point of view. Whether it works or not depends on how good a manipulator he can be, and considering his man management abilities, maybe he can pull it off. There's no other way he can realistically hope to keep Barry except by trying to alienate him from Liverpool.

PHB wrote: »
    It might be an unrealistic policy, but to me, its the only policy that would make sense from MONs point of view. Whether it works or not depends on how good a manipulator he can be, and considering his man management abilities, maybe he can pull it off. There's no other way he can realistically hope to keep Barry except by trying to alienate him from Liverpool.

I'm just not at all sure that he has a policy. I think the most likely scenario is; He wanted to keep Barry or get the best deal possible. Got a deadline agreed with all parties. When this passed, he publicly declared victory and thought it was all done. The next morning however, he met with Barry + agent to be told Barry wasn't happy, didn't want to stay, wanted negotiations reopened so he could get out of dodge.

What can MON really do here? Either stuck with a player who wants to move and now severely resents him, or reopen things. So he did the latter. That he has carried out everything in public just makes it far more embaressing.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That he has carried out everything in public just makes it far more embaressing.

exactly. imo, he did that to try and shame Barry into staying, which I'd imagine has pissed off Barry. almost emotional blackmail.

guess its the famous "man-management" that people go on about :D

nothing has changed, just that as everyone knows the deadline was bollocks nothing more than an attempt to end this god forsaken saga sooner. It is still the case that Liverpool know how much we want and that when they pay that they can get Barry but they havent been willing to thus far... no change whatsoever just more media bollocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Martin O'Neill was touted as a possible next Man U manager some years ago:pac:. Hope to god he goes there now. The man has'nt a clue about the transfer market. He could have sold Barry ages ago for the good of the club and to improve the team. What a clown :)

just that as everyone knows the deadline was bollocks nothing more than an attempt to end this god forsaken saga sooner. It is still the case that Liverpool know how much we want and that when they pay that they can get Barry but they havent been willing to thus far... no change whatsoever just more media bollocks

a lot of Villa fans didnt seem to know it was bollox tbh. either did MON, or else he humiliated himself publically on purpose.

his demeanour in the interview today didnt really give off the impression of someone who had everything going according to plan tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill was touted as a possible next Man U manager some years ago:pac:. Hope to god he goes there now. The man has'nt a clue about the transfer market. He could have sold Barry ages ago for the good of the club and to improve the team. What a clown :)

actually he's not done as bad as people say. at the end of the day he doesn't want to sell his best player and has made it an absolute ****ing nightmare for Liverpool. you can be sure that anyone who thinks about entering into negotiations for Young or Agbonlahor in the net few years will really think twice about it when they consider the ordeal. he could have handled the press a bit better, but at the end of the day the result will be exactly how he wanted it to be. massively inflated price going directly into his pockets and clubs perhaps doubting their ability to pluck his prized assets away.

actually he's not done as bad as people say. at the end of the day he doesn't want to sell his best player and has made it an absolute ****ing nightmare for Liverpool. you can be sure that anyone who thinks about entering into negotiations for Young or Agbonlahor in the net few years will really think twice about it when they consider the ordeal. he could have handled the press a bit better, but at the end of the day the result will be exactly how he wanted it to be. massively inflated price going directly into his pockets and clubs perhaps doubting their ability to pluck his prized assets away.

thats true, and to be fair he thought it was the right thing to do, and it has accomplished something (that people will think twice about dealing with villa again). It could have worked well, making liverpool look like the big bad club trying to destroy the poor underdogs. The problem with doing everything in public though is that any backfire gets seen by Everyone. I do think he was a little naive in how he handled it though, he seemed to put too much faith in the idea that Barry would be ok to come back and stay with Villa, which Barry still seems very opposed to doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I do think he was a little naive in how he handled it though, he seemed to put too much faith in the idea that Barry would be ok to come back and stay with Villa, which Barry still seems very opposed to doing.

perhaps, although to some extent Barry forced his hand with that interview. MON dragged them all through sh*t publicly imo to send a message out to the rest of the squad i.e. "if you want away don't go public or do anything to undermine my position". i don't think he really cared about Barry at that stage as long as he got his monies worth.

i really don't think we'll be able to judge fully the full extent of the dealings until long after the window closes, to see exactly how people have reacted to it in their dealings with MON. this could all turn out to be a master stroke, or potentially a career ending move making him un-hireable in the future (but i don't think it will).

Based on the entire interview it seems like the chain of events went like this:

Liverpool show interest 4 months ago or whatever
    Liverpool make a couple of bids which Villa don't think are enough
    Liverpool stop making bids
    MON makes a deal with Barry that he'll give them until a certain deadline for Liverpool to make a bid
    That deadline passes
    MON does his whole deal is over thing
    Barry isn't happy, wants to give them more time
    MON says now, that's ok, we've got until the end of the window for Liverpool to come up with the money

Now the interesting thing is this quote
    Gareth's head is a bit all over the place at the moment and they asked for some more time.

Which suggests that MON thinks barry was disappointed/confused by Liverpools failure to meet the deadline. Whether this is right or not, you can clearly see what he's playing at.
    He set a deadline, Liverpool didn't meet it. That no doubt, at least a little, confused Barry. Barry now wants more time. MON is giving it to him. Why? Because he's got a situation now where one of two things happen
    A. Liverpool meet the Villa valuation
    B. Liverpool don't, but has been straight up with him, hell he's even given them extra time. As in he's done all he can to alllow this transfer to happen.

For me, this is the best play that MON could have made. I personally can't think of anything else that would be a better way to get Barry to stay with Villa.

it was always bollocks because the window hadnt closed but Liverpool agreed to the self impposed deadline too and then didnt meet it. Barry will get sick of this rubbish soon and either hand in the transfer request if he hasnt already or decide he is staying put.

it was always bollocks because the window hadnt closed but Liverpool agreed to the self impposed deadline too and then didnt meet it. Barry will get sick of this rubbish soon and either hand in the transfer request if he hasnt already or decide he is staying put.

Did they f**k. Liverpool weren't even at the meeting where the deadline was set. It was faxed to them last Monday night, just as they were preparing to go to Spain. They spent Tuesday in Spain and were actually preparing for a game when the 5pm Martin O' Neill deadline was passing.

Liverpool, like all the other PL clubs, bar one, are working towards the 31st August transfer deadline.

• Advertisement

but what happens now if pool offer say, 15mill + finnan and Barry and his agent continue to put pressure on MON to let him leave?

Ok fair enough.Good points. But no matter how you look at it it puts Villa in a weaker position with Barry than without him.He is'nt going to give 100% for the team if he stays but if he goes it means O'Neill has 16m to spend on 2-3 players and improve the squad.Bad move from O'Neill as it's getting late in the day for new transfers to be assessed at this stage.He should have taken the 16m ages ago and moved on instead of playing childish games with benitez.At the end of the day Villa are a selling club and thats not going to change unless they get into a Chelsea type situation.Just sell the fella Martin and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Cant wait till the Villa fans get on here again, wynters,helix,savman,villian etc. Mr.Alan/gixerfixer seem to be doing quite a bit of stirring of the pot!

I aint stirring nothing.Just pointing out the fact that Villa and O'Neill are better off without Barry.why keep him.I can guarantee you this...if Liverpool do buy Barry for 16m you will get a heap of Villa fans on here saying "Ha Ha Ha ..you paid 16m for Barry etc....he's not worth 10m" and in my opinion there right,he's not worth 10m.So it brings me back to my original question.why keep him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Martin O'Neill .... What a clown :)
    I aint stirring nothing.

No? :D:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement