Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barry Transfer Saga, will he go to Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Ha ha ha! Scousers are gas aren't they..!!!! :D

Sounds like Rafa is none too pleased with the owners according to his latest outburst. Heard he's 18-1 to be the first manager to leave his position/be sacked this season. Good bet! A dodgy result against Liege or a dodgy start to the season and he could be outta there! The owners don't like each other, Rafa doesn't like them, they don't trust his judgement, now there's trouble with the Chief Exec!???? Where will it all end!???! Embarrassing end to all this for poor Rafa... and he deserves every bit of it.

It'll all end in tears!

Rafa - Barry saga not my fault
    Liverpool boss rounds on transfer critics
    Last updated: 15th August 2008

Benitez: Don't blame me

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has hit back at critics who hold him responsible for the ongoing Gareth Barry transfer saga.

Benitez has been blamed for causing speculation as Liverpool attempt to prise £18million-rated Barry away from Aston Villa.

However, the Liverpool boss insists he has had no contact with Villa since discussing the midfielder's possible transfer with his opposite number, Martin O'Neill, in April.

"I will try to be very clear over the (Barry) situation. Everyone has been talking and it seems that the blame is put on me," said Benitez.

"I get blamed for everything, for global warming to high petrol prices.

"But in this case I want to be very clear. Since I talked to Martin O'Neill about the situation in April, I have not talked to anyone at Aston Villa."

Benitez has hinted he remains keen on Barry, despite the England international now being cup-tied in the UEFA Champions League having played for Villa in the Uefa Cup.

And the Spaniard believes that discussions, which he is adamant have taken place through Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry, have gone well.

"All the talks have been between our chief executive Rick Parry, the owner and the chief executive of Aston Villa," added Benitez. "And those talks have all been pretty good.

"So if anyone wants to talk about Barry in the future they must talk with the owner, Rick Parry or the chief executive of Aston Villa. And as I have said, those talks I understand have been good.

"I was not involved in the talks about Barry, I was not involved in the talks about (Xabi) Alonso and Arsenal. If you want to talk about these players you must talk to the chief executive of our club who was handling the discussions.

"If you want to talk about players, then you talk to Rick Parry. If you want to talk about football, then you talk with me."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

wynters wrote: »
    Embarrassing end to all this for poor Rafa... and he deserves every bit of it.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep I said it before at least MON Manages the club he is in charge of.

I feel sorry for Rafa though he has been the best CL manager for the past years and by signing Keane and trying to sign Barry he is imo obviously trying to turn his attentions to the Premier League but the owners haven't backed him.

I also said one of the reasons Barry should stay is that thre is a good chance that Rafa will be gone after this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Villain wrote: »
    Yep I said it before at least MON Manages the club he is in charge of.

I feel sorry for Rafa though he has been the best CL manager for the past years and by signing Keane and trying to sign Barry he is imo obviously trying to turn his attentions to the Premier League but the owners haven't backed him.

I also said one of the reasons Barry should stay is that thre is a good chance that Rafa will be gone after this season.

Personally, I am beginning to think he is wasted on the English scene.

After all, when SPIVS like certain FA Cup winning managers, Spivs like the Spiv that run a certain midlands club {not Villa and not Forest and Not Derby and Neither Sheffield United or Sheffield Wednesday, or Wolves or WBA} and SPIVS like the SPIV that used to run a certain Sheffield Club {Not Wednesday} and SPIVS like the SPIV that used to run a certain big-club in the North-East all are entertained as to their opinion on the first manager to guide a club to TWO European Cup Finals in only 3 years, then I think its time to get out anyways.

From a Gareth Barry POV, Benitez always conducted himself properly- MON didn't, and Barry was the first to say so. For O'Neill to claim that somebody {i.e. Benitez} was leaking things was preposterous. Why would Benitez want anything in the open? He signed Torres from the midst of rumour and Keane was NEVER rumoured to be heading to Anfield until he was practically there. If it was Mouronho, Barry would have been tapped up a long time ago. Ironically, and the SPIVVERY of the English game is exposed for all to see in this, TAPPING UP would have provided the necessary assurance which Barry needed to dump Villa and sign for Liverpool.

As Benitez has already said- he had NO contact with Villa since May. That means he had NO contact with Barry. Instead it was left in the incapable hands of Messrs Parry, Gillet and Hicks. Who between them, it seems, could fukc up a cup of coffee. £18m was always a lot to ask but the asking price is the asking price. Benitez was obviously given to believe that this price would be paid only for it to not be. How is he to blame for this?

Benitez is wasted on the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Why the hell doesn't Rafa manage this himself if it's so important, pawning it off on Parry is shirking his managerial responsibility. You can bet Fergie and Wenger wouldn't sign players that way (esp. after Fergie got messed around by Kenyon with Ronaldinho), yet Rafa persists with it time after time.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    Why the hell doesn't Rafa manage this himself if it's so important, pawning it off on Parry is shirking his managerial responsibility. You can bet Fergie and Wenger wouldn't sign players that way (esp. after Fergie got messed around by Kenyon with Ronaldinho), yet Rafa persists with it time after time.

Do what what way???

He intimates to the board that he wants to sign somebody.....its up to them to give him what he needs to get it done.

What more could he have done??? Turned straw into gold and come up with the shortfall on his own??

What do you mean by "time after time"???

He got messed over by the PL/FA over the Heinze thing. He lost out on Nemanja Vidic...cos PARRY WAS ON HOLLIERS AT THE TIME:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Wynters, until anyone sees the tone in which Rafa said any of that, it may be nothing.

He was being asked about Barry, he said "talk to Rick Parry, he was handling the deal", which he was.

may be an issue if he was visibly angry when saying this, but may have just been avoiding a question, something most managers are able to do.

and astrofool; pretty sure transfers are handled at most clubs by the execs as opposed to the managers. Gill at Utd. Whoever at Arsenal (used to be Dein).

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Wynters, until anyone sees the tone in which Rafa said any of that, it may be nothing.

He was being asked about Barry, he said "talk to Rick Parry, he was handling the deal", which he was.

may be an issue if he was visibly angry when saying this, but may have just been avoiding a question, something most managers are able to do.

and astrofool; pretty sure transfers are handled at most clubs by the execs as opposed to the managers. Gill at Utd. Whoever at Arsenal (used to be Dein).

Agreed.

:)

He seemed fairly pi$$ed off to me, I heard it on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

dear-god-make-it-stop.jpg

• Advertisement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/2564554/Liverpool-manager-Rafael-Benitez-goes-on-the-defensive-over-Gareth-Barry---Football.html

There is the link. Make up your own minds. Benitez actually seems happy with Villa, and more upset with the Anfield-based Jerks he is forced to work with.

Rafa said twice in that article that "Villa were very good" when talking about Liverpool dealing with them. Mr Alan should take note

Rafa said twice in that article that "Villa were very good" when talking about Liverpool dealing with them. Mr Alan should take note

I think a lot of O'Neills "Anger" {apart from being a small mad Leprechaun and knowing it too} is derived from the fact that Barry took the mick out of him about hanging around with the BBC when he should have been talking to Barry, as Barry put it.

Benitez, as ever, has been on the up-and-up. No tapping up here, no siree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

wynters wrote: »
    Ha ha ha! Scousers are gas aren't they..!!!! :D

Sounds like Rafa is none too pleased with the owners according to his latest outburst. Heard he's 18-1 to be the first manager to leave his position/be sacked this season. Good bet! A dodgy result against Liege or a dodgy start to the season and he could be outta there! The owners don't like each other, Rafa doesn't like them, they don't trust his judgement, now there's trouble with the Chief Exec!???? Where will it all end!???! Embarrassing end to all this for poor Rafa... and he deserves every bit of it.

It'll all end in tears!

Rafa - Barry saga not my fault
    Liverpool boss rounds on transfer critics
    Last updated: 15th August 2008

Benitez: Don't blame me

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has hit back at critics who hold him responsible for the ongoing Gareth Barry transfer saga.

Benitez has been blamed for causing speculation as Liverpool attempt to prise £18million-rated Barry away from Aston Villa.

However, the Liverpool boss insists he has had no contact with Villa since discussing the midfielder's possible transfer with his opposite number, Martin O'Neill, in April.

"I will try to be very clear over the (Barry) situation. Everyone has been talking and it seems that the blame is put on me," said Benitez.

"I get blamed for everything, for global warming to high petrol prices.

"But in this case I want to be very clear. Since I talked to Martin O'Neill about the situation in April, I have not talked to anyone at Aston Villa."

Benitez has hinted he remains keen on Barry, despite the England international now being cup-tied in the UEFA Champions League having played for Villa in the Uefa Cup.

And the Spaniard believes that discussions, which he is adamant have taken place through Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry, have gone well.

"All the talks have been between our chief executive Rick Parry, the owner and the chief executive of Aston Villa," added Benitez. "And those talks have all been pretty good.

"So if anyone wants to talk about Barry in the future they must talk with the owner, Rick Parry or the chief executive of Aston Villa. And as I have said, those talks I understand have been good.

"I was not involved in the talks about Barry, I was not involved in the talks about (Xabi) Alonso and Arsenal. If you want to talk about these players you must talk to the chief executive of our club who was handling the discussions.

"If you want to talk about players, then you talk to Rick Parry. If you want to talk about football, then you talk with me."

Bitter much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Sad thing about all this is this is the most coverage Villa will get in the papers/TV all season long.Well maybe im being a bit harsh...theres always the carling cup quarter finals to look forward to. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

since MON has taken over Villa have been gradually getting more and more media coverage, the media love him. They Also seem to get more media coverage thanks to Capello who probably views Villa more than any other team, he even travelled to Iceland to view the game the other night. Villa are in Europe this season too and arent there just to make up ths numbers. Yes Villa used to be the quiet club that nobody ever used to talk about... things are changing at VP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

their opinion on the first manager to guide a club to TWO European Cup Finals in only 3 years, then I think its time to get out anyways..

I assume you mean Brian Clough and he did it in 2 years.

also, banned for breach of charter... "spivs" etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

16/08/2008 02:50
    Alonso Asks For Anfield Exit
    Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has reportedly requested to be sold after receiving no assurances over his future from manager Rafael Benitez...

According to The Guardian, Alonso yesterday asked to leave the Merseyside club after becoming fed up with his part in Benitez's chase of Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry.

The Spanish playmaker's future at Anfield has been in doubt since partway through last season, when he struggled to recapture his place in the first team after a lengthy lay-off with a metatarsal injury.

Rumours soon sprang up of a rift between player and manager, especially after the 26-year-old withdrew from the Reds' Champions League clash against Internazionale to be with his expecting wife.

And despite performing well and re-establishing himself in the starting XI during the last third of the season, Benitez's interest in Barry - and the fact Villa are demanding £18million for their skipper - has seen Alonso flirt with moves to Juventus and Arsenal.

But neither Juve or the Gunners were willing to pay over £12million for the Basque pass-master, while Rafa is yet to take him off the market, meaning his position at Liverpool is shrouded in uncertainty.

The news that Alonso no longer sees a future for himself at Anfield will come as a huge blow to the fans, who have been steadfast in their support of the man who arrived from Real Sociedad in 2004.

Mike Maguire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

JPA wrote: »
    If setting a high fee prevented Liverpool buying Barry so be it.
    So we're in agreement, Villa prevented Barry from moving.

I never said Villa should have to give way to any club on anything, but once their fans accept that their club has prevented a player who has given a decade of loyal service to the club making the next step.

Barry is the only loser here. Villa are delighted to keep him and Liverpool will move on. Kudos to him for just getting on with the job, despite his disappointment, it is a mark of his character.

I never said Villa should have to give way to any club on anything, but once their fans accept that their club has prevented a player who has given a decade of loyal service to the club making the next step.

Barry is the only loser here. Villa are delighted to keep him and Liverpool will move on. Kudos to him for just getting on with the job, despite his disappointment, it is a mark of his character.
    Hold on there Jivin Turkey, Villa didn't prevent Barry from leaving, the inability of Liverpools owners to provide the cash to pay the going rate for a player like Barry was what prevented the transfer (so far).

Rafa has said Money wasn't a problem, he thinks Barry was worth 18m the board just won't back him, so Liverpool have prevented the transfer so far not Villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Welllllll, no. See Villains post. If Villa were intent on stopping Barry from leaving then in reality no bid would have been enough. But there was a price and Liverpool couldn't pay it.

Hold on there Jivin Turkey, Villa didn't prevent Barry from leaving, the inability of Liverpools owners to provide the cash to pay the going rate for a player like Barry was what prevented the transfer (so far).

Rafa has said Money wasn't a problem, he thinks Barry was worth 18m the board just won't back him, so Liverpool have prevented the transfer so far not Villa
    Liverpool are not going to bend over and pay what is an unreasonable price for a player, the unreasonable price was set by Villa, setting an unreasonable price is preventing the player from leaving.

Do you think that £18M represents any sort of value for Barry? Yes or no? Do you think Villa owe any sort of loyalty to Barry for the years of service he gave them? We're not talking about giving him away for nothing, we're talking about letting one of their own realise their ambitions while still being handsomely compensated.

I understand that it is in Villa's interest to hold on to their best players, and in this case it appears like they have. It is in Liverpool's interest to not be taken for a ride by any club when purchasing a player, there is always other options, and in this case it appears like they have.

Both clubs have acted in their best interest, all I'm saying is that Barry now is in a position where (probably) his last chance to make a big move has been prevented. Prevented by the unreasonable price put on his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

This really could end in disaster for Liverpool if Benitez were to walk...

Furious Benitez threatens to quit Anfield over Barry bid fiasco

Daily Mail
    By JOHN EDWARDS
    Saturday August 16th 2008

Gareth Barry has been heavily linked with a move to Liverpool over the close season Rafa Benitez threatened to quit as Liverpool manager in a furious response to being denied the chance to sign Gareth Barry.

Believing his judgment in the transfer market had been called into question by American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, Benitez was on the point of walking away from Anfield, until being talked out of it by friends.

Opening up on the Barry saga, Benitez absolved himself of blame for failing to land the England midfielder but still found himself saddled with another unhappy player over Liverpool’s summer-long transfer stand-off with Aston Villa.

Already at loggerheads with full-back Steve Finnan over attempts to include him as a makeweight for Barry, Benitez has now been informed that Xabi Alonso is considering his future after being made available to Juventus and Arsenal.

Both clubs viewed a £16million asking price as excessive, and decided against following up their interest, but the Spain midfielder is unhappy at attempts to squeeze him out to make way for Barry.

As Alonso weighed up his options, ahead of the Barclays Premier League opener at Sunderland, Benitez risked more friction behind the scenes by distancing himself from the wrangle over Barry’s £18m valuation and seeming to point the finger at chief executive Rick Parry.

‘Some people seem to blame me for everything, from global warming to petrol prices,’ said the Liverpool manager, who has also tried to offload Jermaine Pennant to raise funds for Villa’s England midfielder.

‘So I want to make things clear over what has happened between us and Aston Villa.

‘I talked to Martin O’Neill about Barry in April but have not spoken to anyone at Aston Villa since.

'In the intervening months, all the talks have been between Rick Parry and Aston Villa’s owner and chief executive.

'The talks have been pretty good, but they are the ones involved, not me.

‘I was not conducting any talks with Villa about Gareth Barry or with Arsenal about Xabi Alonso.

'If you want to know about negotiations over players, you must contact Rick Parry.

'If it is about football, ask me.

‘I am not irritated or angry, and I want to stress that I have no problems with Liverpool’s owners.

'None at all. It is just that I want to clarify what has happened.’

While Benitez refuses to give upon eventually prising Barry away from Villa, he confirmed his main focus has switched to providing creativity on the left flank.

Xabi Alonso is thought to be considering his future after an unsettling summer at Anfield

‘I am happy with my squad and will continue trying to improve and move forward with the players already here,’ he said.

‘But we do need to do something about the left of midfield.

'The owners have told me there is some money available,so I think we can progress.’

Benitez insisted he was heartened by his players’ response to their midweek Champions’ League woes against Standard Liege.

‘I was as surprised as anyone by how poorly we played, but the reaction was exactly what I was looking for,’ he said.

‘Maybe it was a wake-up call in Belgium, because the mood has been very positive and determined ever since we got back.

‘One or two players were below par on Wednesday, and it seemed to become contagious.

But what I have seen since tells me it hasn’t affected the confidence that built up during the pre-season games.

They seem to have got it out of their systems, and I am very optimistic we will start the season well.’

If Liverpool do not start the season well, Villa striker John Carew believes their top-four slot could be vulnerable, and says his side could be the surprise package.

‘Our goal is to even better than sixth this season,’ he said, ‘it looks as though the squad is being bigger than last year.

‘At one point last year, we were close to Liverpool, so there is no reason for us not to believe that we can't reach the top four.

'To do that we are going to have to do better than Liverpool.

'That’s my belief and I hope it is the belief of everyone at the club.'

‘I see the young players getting better and better.

'The way Gabby Agbonlahor and Ashley Young handle everything — on and off the pitch — it’s like they have been playing the game for years.

‘They cope with the pressure and the fuss.

'It's not always easy for young players. They are so relaxed, clear and what they are doing and they are able to focus. They are good at that age.'

Villa aren't going to help Liverpool or Barry that is why the price was so high.
    They are not going to facilitate the move, they made it difficult.

Isn't that their right?

Liverpool are not going to bend over and pay what is an unreasonable price for a player, the unreasonable price was set by Villa, setting an unreasonable price is preventing the player from leaving.

Do you think that £18M represents any sort of value for Barry? Yes or no? Do you think Villa owe any sort of loyalty to Barry for the years of service he gave them? We're not talking about giving him away for nothing, we're talking about letting one of their own realise their ambitions while still being handsomely compensated.

I understand that it is in Villa's interest to hold on to their best players, and in this case it appears like they have. It is in Liverpool's interest to not be taken for a ride by any club when purchasing a player, there is always other options, and in this case it appears like they have.

Both clubs have acted in their best interest, all I'm saying is that Barry now is in a position where (probably) his last chance to make a big move has been prevented. Prevented by the unreasonable price put on his head.

It doesn't matter what I or you think is an unreasonable price, the only thing that matters is Rafa is williing to pay the money and if the club was under decent owners who backed the manager Barry would already be a Liverpool player.

How you can say Villa have prevented him from leaving after MON has publically said he can leave is beyond me.

The problem here is Liverpools mess in the boardroom not Villa's asking price.

Villa aren't going to help Liverpool or Barry that is why the price was so high.
    They are not going to facilitate the move, they made it difficult.

Isn't that their right?
    Yes. I never said that Villa acted improperly, just that Barry is the only loser here in two clubs efforts to save face.

Personally, I think it's diappointing that Villa wouldn't award Barry's loyalty with allowing a move at a fair price. They didn't have to, and it was their choice not to, but it sets a precedent for some of their other youngsters may not want to face.

Yes. I never said that Villa acted improperly, just that Barry is the only loser here in two clubs efforts to save face.

Personally, I think it's diappointing that Villa wouldn't award Barry's loyalty with allowing a move at a fair price. They didn't have to, and it was their choice not to, but it sets a precedent for some of their other youngsters may not want to face.

You mean a "fair price" in your opinion. Gabby and Carew just signed new long term contracts, says a lot imo

It doesn't matter what I or you think is an unreasonable price, the only thing that matters is Rafa is williing to pay the money and if the club was under decent owners who backed the manager Barry would already be a Liverpool player.

How you can say Villa have prevented him from leaving after MON has publically said he can leave is beyond me.

The problem here is Liverpools mess in the boardroom not Villa's asking price.
    Your completely missing my point (but despite this you've skirted around the valuation issue as you don't want to admit that Barry is priced out of the market). Both Villa and Liverpool have done what's right for themselves. The only loser is Barry as a player.

My point is it is disappointing for the player.

Your completely missing my point (but despite this you've skirted around the valuation issue as you don't want to admit that Barry is priced out of the market). Both Villa and Liverpool have done what's right for themselves. The only loser is Barry as a player.

Its disappointing for the player that Liverpool's owners have blocked the deal, I agree with that, I don't agree that Villa have prevented the deal from going through

• Advertisement

Well we're Villa fans not barry fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Barry isnt worth 18M he's not even an England regular in reality. Should Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves and Carrick all be fit where's he going to fit in? He'll be shoved out wide to 'accommodate' him and eventually dropped. Again.

Typical English player. Over rated to the last. Veloso and Moutinho are both better than him and cheaper

slingerz wrote: »
    Barry isnt worth 18M he's not even an England regular in reality. Should Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves and Carrick all be fit where's he going to fit in? He'll be shoved out wide to 'accommodate' him and eventually dropped. Again.

Typical English player. Over rated to the last. Veloso and Moutinho are both better than him and cheaper

And both unproven in the Premier League. His league experience is probably one of his biggest assets.

Its disappointing for the player that Liverpool's owners have blocked the deal, I agree with that, I don't agree that Villa have prevented the deal from going through
    Liverpool prevented the deal going through because the price was unreasonable, if you can't see that Villa started the chain of events by setting an non-negotiable price that was unreasonable which led to the blocking of the bid well I guess there is no point in discussing the issue with you.

Well we're Villa fans not barry fans.
    Congratulations, I'm merely pointing out that Barry is the only loser here and it's disappointing to see a real pro not be able to realise his ambitions.

Liverpool prevented the deal going through because the price was unreasonable, if you can't see that Villa started the chain of events by setting an non-negotiable price that was unreasonable which led to the blocking of the bid well I guess there is no point in discussing the issue with you.

Congratulations, I'm merely pointing out that Barry is the only loser here and it's disappointing to see a real pro not be able to realise his ambitions.

The price being unreasonable is just your opinion. If you keep saying it, it doesn't make it right.

and JPA, villa fans saying its the going rate for a player like him is also your opinion.

and an opinion, that by comparing to the transfer of Hargreaves does nothing but make yous look foolish. Barry is nowhere near as accomplished as Hargreaves who had CL and league titles galore and was a little younger.

anyway, despite the Villa fans picking all the negative stories from the media... Rafa says he has no intention of leaving and Alonso says he is happy and had a ****ing stormer against Sunderland today.

alls well that ends well, this whole incident is surely over now, if Barry doesnt sign a new deal we'll probably pick his up at a cut down price in Jan or next summer. this incident has done nothing except severly sour relations between the two sets of fans.

enjoy the game on the 31st, and remember, your best/second best player wishes he was playing for us :)

• Advertisement

Well Benitez was willing to pay so does that make the price ok?

Well, yes hopefully it is over, the match on th 31st will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

They would be stupid to say the least to sign someone who couldnt feature in europe after splashing 18m on him

Well Benitez was willing to pay so does that make the price ok?

Well, yes hopefully it is over, the match on th 31st will be interesting.

really? how do you know this?

last i heard, Liverpool FC said they felt 18m was too much, with Rafa not walking anytime soon, i can only presume "Liverpool FC" includes him.

****e tabloid talk is not always true. just so you know.

really? how do you know this?

last i heard, Liverpool FC said they felt 18m was too much, with Rafa not walking anytime soon, i can only presume "Liverpool FC" includes him.

****e tabloid talk is not always true. just so you know.

Why did Rafa say money was not a problem?

pretty sure he meant either "money is not an issue" or "money is not the problem"-English is his second language remember.

ie: we have the cash, but Villa are taking the piss a little.

the interview where he said that quote, he then went on to talk about signing a different player instead of Barry iirc

• Advertisement

pretty sure he meant either "money is not an issue" or "money is not the problem"-English is his second language remember.

ie: we have the cash, but Villa are taking the piss a little.

the interview where he said that quote, he then went on to talk about signing a different player instead of Barry iirc

But isn't it generally thought that Benitez was willing to pay but the owners weren't?

thought by who? the media? yes it is.

it was also thought that rafa was gonna walk, which he has denied down to the ground.

it is also generally thought that Rafa rotates more than any other manager, that zonal marking doesnt work etc etc. both of which are very untrue.

tabloids lie and make **** up.

this is not a secret.

Why are Liverpool fans still talking about an Aston Villa player?

Cry foul all you want, shout it from the rooftops if it makes yiz feel better, but Gareth Barry goes out tomorro in Claret & Blue and apart from coughing up £18m there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

Time to put up or shut up me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Savman wrote: »
    Why are Liverpool fans still talking about an Aston Villa player?

Cry foul all you want, shout it from the rooftops if it makes yiz feel better, but Gareth Barry goes out tomorro in Claret & Blue and apart from coughing up £18m there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

Time to put up or shut up me thinks...
    See you next summer for half the price at most.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    See you next summer for half the price at most.
    Yeah see you then, if Rafa is still in charge of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gareth Barry is worth way more than Robbie Keane imo. So I don't understand those saying he is overpriced. I'm not a villain or a Liverpool fan either. I have nothing against Robbie Keane before someone goes there, I actually think he will turn out to be a great signing for the pool. But I do think that Barry is worth more than Keane and given what Liverpool shelled out for Keane I don't understand why they would not pay the fee for Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eagle eye wrote: »
    Gareth Barry is worth way more than Robbie Keane imo. So I don't understand those saying he is overpriced. I'm not a villain or a Liverpool fan either. I have nothing against Robbie Keane before someone goes there, I actually think he will turn out to be a great signing for the pool. But I do think that Barry is worth more than Keane and given what Liverpool shelled out for Keane I don't understand why they would not pay the fee for Barry.

this I agree with to a large extent. I wouldn't actually say Barry is worth more, but both players were equally as valuable to their teams, and it's only natural that this be reflected in the respective prices. so i do find it daft Pool fans will Hail Robbie as good business yet baulk at the asking price for Barry.

Rafael Benitez blames Rick Parry for Liverpool's failure to sign Gareth Barry

Rafael Benitez made the position of chief executive Rick Parry untenable in the aftermath of Liverpool’s first win of the season, revealing he had been in direct contact with co-owner Tom Hicks about the farcical stuttering of the club’s efforts to sign Gareth Barry from Aston Villa and and sell Xabi Alonso.

Benitez made it abundantly clear that he blamed Parry for the club’s failure to sign Barry, the player he had identified as his prime target back in April, and revealed he had gone straight to the owner to ensure there was a resolution of the issue.

“I was in contact with Tom Hicks and I was told we have the money because we were selling players for more than £20 million, so we had enough and we have enough,” Benitez said. “And if we sell or one or two players we’ll have enough to sign another good player. I will not say which player but I have the support of at least one of the owners.

“I sent emails to all of them. He was clear that we had some money, he told me if I sell players, you can buy these players. So it isn’t a question of money. We have problems because we are not doing things that, in my opinion, we have to do in terms of signing players.’’ When asked directly if the problem was with the chief executive, Benitez made it clear he felt the club’s business was not being conducted properly.

“The question is that we have to be quicker and I told them these things four years ago and I continue thinking the same,” he said. ‘‘That way we can save more money and be able to sign the targets we have.”

Benitez was also clear in denying reports that he was prepared to quit because of the problems at Anfield. “My commitment to the club is 100 per cent, to the fans, with the players, with the club in general. I’ve said it 100 times — my family is really happy here and I want to win trophies with Liverpool.” There were signs in this game that this would be easier said than done. Liverpool were far from convincing here, struggling for much of the game against a substantially improved Sunderland. Just like last season, it was Fernando Torres who made the difference.

Here

tbh they could cast Benitez as The Riddler in the next Batman movie, never can make out what he's on about at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

nothing but sensational editing in that piece... i don't see a single quote of Benitez's come close to blaming Parry. for all we know he could have been talking about a secretary.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement