Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire music - closed?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I was driving by today and it looked closed? :eek: When did this happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I know the building was for sale as it was in the Property Guide a few weeks back, but I had presumed that the shop would have stayed put under it's old lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

No the place has been going under for quite some time. The place is empty of stock if it is still open. Did any of you ever actually buy anything in there apart from tickets like? I think the guy who owned it also owns the building so he's getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The last thing i bought in Empire music were three weekend tickets to Feile 95. I have found that they were slightly more expensive than HMV, but then HMV were always more expensive than tesco.

It was also easier to find stuff in HMV as empire was all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

ah well shee-ite it anyway.

no more independant music shops.

...and the only recently started getting good vinyl in again.

i always tried to buy stuff there if they had it. it may have been a euro or two more expensive but at least that money was staying in this country, not filling the coffers of a multinational.

probobly be turned into another feckin spar/centra or even another subway, theres a good 200 metres of prime street scape there without a subway on it

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats a pity, I did buy CDs there from time to time (mainly Irish artists that were cheaper than HMV)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

Ah, thats a pity. I got a good few cds in there. Alwys used to have a look when I was around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

thats a real shame!! i have been buying music from those guys since v earlly 90's maybe even before.. they used to have that shop up in williamscourt at the back where guineys is now.. ah the days!! looking for those early dance tapes.. altern-8, the shamen and the like.. i even think i remember them having a different shop on o'connell st too.. been buying vinyl from them since day one.. they have had their ups and downs stock wise in the vinyl section but used to love going down there of a friday lets say 2000-2001 (i think) me and the lads trying to pick up better tunes than each other.. they used always only get a few of each so ya had to be there when they hit the shelves.. always had the nicest staff.. i think the two guys actually did it for the music just as much as for the money..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 daffyduck

Its not closed down they had a power cut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Pity it didn't close.
    Empire music was (still is?) a rubbish shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Stab*City wrote: »
    the shamen and the like..

Talk about a trip down memory lane.

Glad it's still open, I like that shop.

• Advertisement

Pity it didn't close.

why??

what cant they get than hoooomv can?

isnt it better to pay that euro extra to a local independant store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Pity it didn't close.

Its the only shop in Limerick that still sells Vinyl records, so no, it isn't rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Does the Black Spot still exist?
    That had some gems for sale in its day.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

bullets wrote: »
    Does the Black Spot still exist?
    That had some gems for sale in its day.

~B

No unfortunately, its gone a couple of years now. They moved from Wickham street a few years back (to where Im not sure) and then just disappeared. Great selection of stuff in there, loads of second hand vinyl, tapes and cd's. Always great for finding local bands demos as well. Those were the days!

I see a business oppurtunity here! :D Limerick appears to be in desperate need of a good vinyl shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

DarkJager wrote: »
    Its the only shop in Limerick that still sells Vinyl records, so no, it isn't rubbish.

There is a place upstairs in little Catherine Street that sells records. Have gotten some really good stuff in there. It is mostly second hand, but there are plenty of records there that collecters would snap up.

Kess73 wrote: »
    There is a place upstairs in little Catherine Street that sells records. Have gotten some really good stuff in there. It is mostly second hand, but there are plenty of records there that collecters would snap up.

Can you tell me where this is Kess? Do they stock trance/dance vinyls in there?? I'm kind of sick of having to travel to Dublin to get the good stuff :)

the guy on little catherine street wouldnt have any dance, but i have found some excellent albums in there.

JD sound and light in the milkmarket is a treasure trove for vinyl. Got some excellent albums there in fantastic condition. He stocks a ton of old skool dance and hip-hop too (might be what you are looking for, darkjager?)

he has boxes and boxes of 45's there aswell, really good stuff, original singles by the who, lizzy, ccr, deep purple, rory gallagher, elvis costelloe......

Advertisement