Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you say there are many driving on red diesel??

Options
  • 10-06-2008 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

With the price difference 60 cents per liter, would you think there are many out running on the red stuff.

Mods if you feel I'm sailing close to the wind CLOSE DELETE or whatever, just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

There might be some up around the border region, I suppose, but I'd say the numbers decrease the further South you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Don't think it's as much of an issue now as it was 15-20 years ago but with the current price trend I imagine it could become an issue again.

I knew a lad that sold it and just stopped cos he had no demand for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a good number using it in suburban Dublin. For someone doing a local run and South Dublin I would say the chances of being caught are minimum compared to anywhere down the country.

Has anyone come across them dipping in and around the city? I believe they dipped a number of cars at the horse show in the RDS one year, anticipating a number of cars would have traveled up from the country. It probably wont be long before they will be dipping us for untaxed vegitable oil :eek: !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

wa dipped at airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Never seen anybody dipped in Dublin myself.
    Can understand being dipped at/near the airport with it being the main Belfast road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Never been dipped !! ... Ever !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

They tend to dip on a monday morning coming off the M50 at lepardstown outside bewleys, it creates chaos! have seen it 3 times in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Lads it's no longer red diesel, it's green now. Run clean on the green to save the environment ( or your wallet ).

With the fine tipping 3k you'd need to be burning serious amounts of diesel for it to pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

craichoe wrote: »
    Never been dipped !! ... Ever !!

I am usually dipped approx 3 times a year, oddly enough last 3 occasions was in the car. 50c per L difference not worth the risk. I know a guy who was using green & must have been reported as they were waiting at his gate 1 morning.

It is actually an offence to store marked gas oil in a vechicle's tank i.e you do not have to be on a public road to be summoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Flyer1 wrote: »
    With the fine tipping 3k you'd need to be burning serious amounts of diesel for it to pay off.

Back in the days when the fine was £1000 I knew a courier who used to run his van exclusively on red diesel. He got caught repeatedly, but regarde the fines as a cost of doing business. Even with the fines he was saving money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

I worked in a lab 3 years ago testing for the washed stuff.
    Had a lot of cases of private cars being sold it from stations, and it tearing their engine apart 40 miles down the road.

At that stage anyway, they were making a euro a litre on it. That nearly €40,000 a truck, not too shabby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PRND

There is a certain fuel retailer, known to people in every county in Ireland, that has a green pump. The queues for it are often longer than for the white. In eight years driving a diesel, including three in a mobile sales role, I have never been dipped once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

Theres a guy on gumtree selling a consignment of it it seems. Havnt got a link but if you search for Mick youll find it. Maybe there's not so many people using it if he's selling it as he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Definately not worth a chance if you're living down the sticks. I used to do Limerick - Cork about 3 times a week, and about 3 times a year they used to have a big dipping checkpoint \ operation on the Cork Mallow road. I know it's obvious, but they're regularly in around the Cattle Marts dipping jeeps.

As to wheather it would be worth your chance up around Dublin.... I don't know.... 3k is an awful big fine. You'd want to be doing a fair whack of mileage to pay it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I remember doing an architectural nixer for a farmer. I was surveying the inside of his house when He asked if he could move my jeep as it was in his way. I told him it was no problem so I wasent surprised to see it parked in his yard.
    I was surprised when he told me he filled it up with diesel for my troubles and I naturally assumed it was from the green diesel tank used to fuel the tractors.
    I still dont know if it was green or white. I was worried about it for months after until I traded in the jeep. seemingly the stuff can be traced for a long time after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

they have been dipping in marts since the day of dot.....think they are getting a bit more stealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I know the washed diesel is fierce dodge, but is green diesel with its much higher sulphur levels even suitable for modern common-rail engines in cars?

Slig wrote: »
    I still dont know if it was green or white. I was worried about it for months after until I traded in the jeep. seemingly the stuff can be traced for a long time after.

If you run to near empty, it should be not noticable after the second fill, ( or so I am told;):D)

I got a fill of green here about 18 months ago & the colour was nearly not noticable, however lately it has been very dark green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Rovi wrote: »
    There might be some up around the border region, I suppose, but I'd say the numbers decrease the further South you go.

what makes you say that?diesel prices are high across the country.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

What is red diesel, what is green and what is white???

Why would any of them be illegal?

• Advertisement

What is red diesel, what is green and what is white???

Why would any of them be illegal?
    None of them are illegal because they can be bought over the counter. What is illegal is their use and miss use i.e. Using died diesel in a car / truck that is registered for use on the public road.

You could legally use green diesel if it was used on private property and not taken on a public road. i.e. some large factories like Aughinish Alumina and the ESB Moneypoint can use green diesel in any of their service vehicles provided that they don’t leave the compounds of their premises. Most of these service vehicles would be retired company vans and DOE failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

theres a lot of truckers running green diesel these days wit the price of diesel lately ive run a car the last 3 yrs on it and never been stopped just requires more regular chaging of the fuel filter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Ive said this before and gonna say it agin before this thread gets locked...
    There is no difference in quality between white and green diesel.
    There is a dye added after it comes into the country.
    Modern tractors and excavators need the diesel to be every bit as good as cars and trucks.
    It would easily pay for a truck driver to run on green til his first fine as the savings would not be long adding up so long as he didnt get caught straight away, however he will be noticed when he is doing his VAT returns.
    Having a hidden green tank is a far more serious offence as this is considered as fraud afaik

slideways wrote: »
    Ive said this before and gonna say it agin before this thread gets locked...
    There is no difference in quality between white and green diesel.
    There is a dye added after it comes into the country.
    Modern tractors and excavators need the diesel to be every bit as good as cars and trucks.
    It would easily pay for a truck driver to run on green til his first fine as the savings would not be long adding up so long as he didnt get caught straight away, however he will be noticed when he is doing his VAT returns.
    Having a hidden green tank is a far more serious offence as this is considered as fraud afaik
    I would be inclined to say white diesel could be more of a risk than any died diesel with acid contamination from criminal gangs removing the die. This process is probably even more rampant now than when during the troubles because of the high price and the extent to what people would do for it now.

Common rail fuel pumps are now used in most diesel engines to day for fuel economy. They can be found in tractors, plant and generators, they are highly sensitive and would be damaged if green diesel was anyway impure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Rovi wrote:
    what makes you say that?diesel prices are high across the country.

Posted via Mobile Device
    The OP asked if we thought "there are many driving on red diesel"; the only source of red diesel on this island is Northern Ireland, so I was surmising that its use would be more likely in the border region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Worked in a petrol station for a number of years. At the minute green diesel is about 85.9c/l and white is 143.3 - a tidy saving.

Had a lot of chancers trying to use the pump - mainly travellers but often had people filling up a few drums of it and what they did afterwards I don't know.

Ended up having to put it prepaid - pay cash and verify use before filing.

Worked in a petrol station for a number of years. At the minute green diesel is about 85.9c/l and white is 143.3 -

Ended up having to put it prepaid - pay cash and verify use before filing.

That is a very good price for green, I was quoted 91(incl. vat ) p/l for 2000 lts delivered

Advertisement