Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libertas - friend or foe

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Libertas seem to have garnered all the headlines recently, but very little research seems to have been done by anyone on them, their reasons for the campaign & their funding.

If one of the main newspaers did any sane article on them, they'd just cry foul. But whao are they? & why are they so set against the Lisbon treaty?

They were only formed last year. All their directors are paid by a US company and they have very little history in Ireland, let alone Europe and yet many people seem to believe the propaganda that they are publsihing.

If there is a no vote, whatever happens, good or bad will not affect Libertas or its funders one iota. So in my opinion there has to be some other reason for their hugely funded campaign, which put the wind up me. Have they used this as a springboard to start a far right movement in Ireland? or is it simply that they are looking for euopean instability to garner more business for their military business?

To simply say they have Ireland's interest at heart it totally and utterly unbeliveable and therefore it was one of the main reasons I double checked the referendum and have decided a definite yes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

mcaul wrote: »
    Have they used this as a springboard to start a far right movement in Ireland?
    I'm not over the moon about Libertas, but what evidence of this is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I heard they've bigger plans for next year. Can't recall specifically what it was off the top of my head though.

Their communications director is well known and seems to have been involved in some way or another in politics/political parties for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i'm Not Over The Moon About Libertas, But What Evidence Of This Is There?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

This link has probably been posted on here before, but it seems you may not have seen it - not sure if anything solid has been done to confirm or undermine its credibility but it's an interesting read for sure.

An article in the Irish Times yesterday also referenced the Libertas funding arrangements and made for quite interesting reading. Of particular interest was the fact that Libertas have called into question the funding of the Alliance for Europe. Alliance for Europe then offerred to show a full statement of their account listing each donation to the Irish Times. Libertas refused to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/87311

Check that link. Libertas is a political group with direct ties to the US military and american secret services. It's leadership and most of the top members are all former US military/CIA. Their president currently owns a few military contracting companies that are operating in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The leadership all have had ties to dictators such as Pinochet, death squads in Albanian, and of course the secret CIA flights just to name a few things they have been directly involved in.

Also note they are a far right-wing group - one that parallels the bush administration and is chock full of other neo-cons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

CptSternn wrote: »

Check that link. Libertas is a political group with direct ties to the US military and american secret services. It's leadership and most of the top members are all former US military/CIA. Their president currently owns a few military contracting companies that are operating in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The leadership all have had ties to dictators such as Pinochet, death squads in Albanian, and of course the secret CIA flights just to name a few things they have been directly involved in.

Do you mean they are Fianna Fáil?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

CptSternn wrote: »

Also note they are a far right-wing group - one that parallels the bush administration and is chock full of other neo-cons.

Rant rant...
    I didn't know Ulick McEvaddy was in the CIA :rolleyes:
    Oh and according to Indymedia he seems to have recently parachuted himself onto the board of Knock airport.
    Except they conveniently forget he grow up only a few miles from the bleeding place and he has been involved with airport and aviation in this country for years before that.

You say their leadership are linked to death squads, dictators etc.
    That is a bit rich coming from someone with a link to SF in their signature.
    It's not like Gerry, Martin and the boys were never linked to Libya, PLO or Farc rebels etc.
    Glasshouse and stones come to mind.

It is almost as laughable as SF now trying to protect our low corporation tax even though they have for years spouted about increasing it to help the poor workers.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

dresden8 wrote: »
    Do you mean they are Fianna Fáil?
    Well Libertas made those ties through choice not incompetence, so that's one difference between the two, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I dont know much about Libertas but they do seem to be 'shady', or at least with alterior stategy motives. Maybe we havent seen the last of them. Their links to arms/military business seems to be without question as Declan Ganley doesnt deny that.

One thing I do know is that the lady that was on Vincent Brown on TV3 last night was very well spoken, and clearly has studied the Treaty and EU aspects quite deeply. She also came across in a polite manner, and a lot more mannerly than many of our politicians.

They have added a different dimension to the campaign.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Regarding the indymedia "story", one presumes if Libertas was funded by Hugo Chavez they'd be thrilled to bits.

Ganley has already stated he has no party political ambitions for Libertas so we'll see if that holds true, what David Cochrane (p.ie) has in mind is another matter.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

If the threat posed by the L group to our democracy and that of Europe could keep FF/FG/Lab working together for the benefit of the country then it would be a good thing.

In addition it might get people more interested in what is happening around them rather than whinging into the second G+T between complaints about the price of cocaine.

Libertas have given people something to hang their hat on, without necessarily agreeing with their business interests.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Rb wrote: »
    I heard they've bigger plans for next year. Can't recall specifically what it was off the top of my head though.

Their communications director is well known and seems to have been involved in some way or another in politics/political parties for quite some time.

Resigned From OFF, After a scandel involving Emails being sent by a fake account and Joined FG,
    Got into Trouble With FG (sending unautherised Press Releases i think), And Resigned his Position In YFG, And Now Claims to be a member, However his membership may have lapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Interesting replies - general feeling from both sides seems to be they are not the cleanest operation. Reasons for this seems to be that they won't answer direct questions about their motives and that their directors are not the most upstanding of citizens.

So why on earth is it that most people are taking their word on Lisbon as Gospel and are dismissing all the arguments given by the political leaders representing 158 out of 166 members of the dail, most trade unions, farmers unions, and virtually every business grouping?

Most non SF no campaigners are just repeating what Libertas have said and have done very little research on the the group whose message they are relaying. You then have the addition of about 15 - 20 b list "celebrity" names and 2 businessmen but don't ytake nto account that the vast majority of business men - those who run large & small business would have no problem putting their name to the yes side!

Actually Prionsius De Rossa's advert in todays Irish Times was probably the best and most informed advert of the campaign, and if a "don't know" person read the advert, I'd be confident they'd vote yes in full knowledge of what they were voting for.

My bet is a yes vote 54% to 46%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Resigned From OFF, After a scandel involving Emails being sent by a fake account and Joined FG,
    Got into Trouble With FG (sending unautherised Press Releases i think), And Resigned his Position In YFG, And Now Claims to be a member, However his membership may have lapsed.
    Has been rejected by another party.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

So, does anyone know what type of company or legal entity Libertas is?

AFAIK, companies, by law have to give their legal form and directors on their website. Libertas don't do that (at least a search for 'directors' returned no hits and 'legal form' returned nothing relevant) so I have to assume that the law doesn't apply to them somehow or else they have chosen to ignore it.

There is the rumour on indymedia that they are connected with the US military industrial complex, but I've no idea how true that is - or what the rationale of that group to oppose Lisbon could be. Anyone know anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

they call themselves lobbyists dont they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I did check out the facts of the indymedia article by examining their sources and I found it to be true that Declan Ganley and that other rich guy from Louth both had stong connection with the US intellegence comunity and military. But I can't go so far as to say they are getting any direct support from them, and I seriously doubt they are. What this does confirm for me is that Declan Ganley and Libertas are not being honest about their motivations because he used the neutrality issue in his campaign, how can he seriously be worried about our neutrality and at the same time supply the CIA with kit? And the other fella refuels CIA rendition flights so they no longer have to land in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Following on from the ft link showing DG in his bus

"Laughing on the bus
    Playing games with the faces
    She said the man in the gabardine suit was a spy
    I said be careful his bowtie is really a camera"

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/paul+simon/america_20105970.html

In relation to Biffo et al not knowing who they are: they miss McDowell and the way he shafted Frank [??] re his work/relationship with the Columbia 4

Remember Biffo and " If in doubt leave them out "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

The Irish Times did a detailed background check in Weekend Review a short time ago, revealing a history of failed business ventures, shady dealing in Albania with Liam Lalor and an unambiguous connection with Rivada, a US-based company that supplies technology to the United States military. All but one of the directors of Libertas are Rivada employees, so it seems like that while Ganley is bankrolling the operation, he's not going to be losing whatever he invests.

About whether they'll stay after the referendum, I'd doubt it, since they don't seem to have any grassroots whatsoever. Ganley did issue a veiled threat yesterday though, stating that he'd be in contact with the Irish Times following the referendum. When asked what he meant, he just repeated the statement.

Rather than dismiss them based on this though, it would be fairer to read the points they make and the refutations made by Scofflaw and sink on these boards and make up your own mind.

e:Here's the contact page for Rivada, with the subsidiary in Moyne Park, Tuam. I'm sure the location sounds familiar.
    http://www.rivada.com/contact.htm
    Here's their page on Declan Ganley
    http://www.rivada.com/about/keypersonnel/declanjganley.htm
    And here's Ganleygroup, which shares much of its "Management Team" with Rivada.
    http://www.ganleygroup.com/management/declanjganley.htm
    And finally, an article on a report on Ganley, stating that he's close to becoming a billionaire before his 40th birthday.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/03/19/story12731.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hahah I wondered what he was up to after finishing with USI - interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

sink wrote: »
    I did check out the facts of the indymedia article by examining their sources and I found it to be true that Declan Ganley and that other rich guy from Louth both had stong connection with the US intellegence comunity and military. But I can't go so far as to say they are getting any direct support from them, and I seriously doubt they are. What this does confirm for me is that Declan Ganley and Libertas are not being honest about their motivations because he used the neutrality issue in his campaign, how can he seriously be worried about our neutrality and at the same time supply the CIA with kit? And the other fella refuels CIA rendition flights so they no longer have to land in Europe.

To be fair, you could sell the US defence/intel complex stuff and still support Irish neutrality - hypocritically, perhaps, but genuinely.

What you can't do, though, I would say, is support Irish neutrality and want to open Knock Airport to the same kind of US traffic as Shannon:
    RTE wrote:
    Businessman Ulick McEvaddy has confirmed that he will discuss letting the US military use Knock Airport at its next board meeting in March.

Mr McEvaddy, who was appointed to the board of the airport last month, said he would be in favour of anything that would benefit Knock Airport and the people of Mayo.

He said he saw no reason why US military planes could not land at Knock.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Anyone any idea how many (other than one) of the old freedom institute are now in libertas? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

scofflow do you have a link to that RTE article, I mentioned that story to my mum earlier and she refused to believe me. I'd love to show it to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    scofflow do you have a link to that RTE article, I mentioned that story to my mum earlier and she refused to believe me. I'd love to show it to her.
    here it is: http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0114/knock.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Scofflaw wrote: »
    To be fair, you could sell the US defence/intel complex stuff and still support Irish neutrality - hypocritically, perhaps, but genuinely.
    Is that not the essence of Irish neutrality?

I've done a little poking around this Libertas lot and would have to say that I'd trust them as far as I'd spit a dead rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I have a report of Ganley speaking to a private audience before where he said that the most important thing in his life was his Catholicism and that was driving him to be against Lisbon.

How would that tie in with their suspicuous funding and US links?

Also - they're late filing their accounts with the CRO. Basically, they have provided no financial information other than revealing that they spent upwards of €1.3m on a No campaign.

What else have you found TC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

edanto wrote: »
    I have a report of Ganley speaking to a private audience before where he said that the most important thing in his life was his Catholicism and that was driving him to be against Lisbon.

I know someone whose reason for voting No is that, apparently, the Irish negotiators failed to get a mention of God in the treaty (I kid you not). Perhaps this is Ganly's true motive? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Is that not the essence of Irish neutrality?

I've done a little poking around this Libertas lot and would have to say that I'd trust them as far as I'd spit a dead rat.
    For once, I agree with Corinthian. I've been doing some snooping the past two months or so.

My guess is Libertas is a PR vehicle for Rivada and his other defence/security-related ventures. Colm Keena suggested that Ganley's company is in debt, suggesting that he's not getting the contracts in Washington DC yet. It's my guess that Libertas was created as a communication tool to demonstrate Rivada's commitment to a strong US and weak EU under the yoke of NATO. Why else would it make sense to vote 'no' to a treaty that appears to commit member-states to spending more on military and security hardware? Because the EU might displace NATO as the US's tool of control in Europe. Add to that John Bolton's recent statement about Lisbon being against US interests and this circle begins to take shape. But I couldn't be sure, it's just my interpretation of the facts I've gathered.

The Phoenix also said that Ulick McEvaddy's reason to vote 'no' is because Lisbon would put strict limits on carbon emissions. But since he makes his money flying US troops and other individuals around the world, this could limit his profit margins.

On the funding issue, I read in the Sunday Business Post that Libertas is funded significantly by loans. Again, this is just conjecture, but could it be possible that whoever loaned Libertas the war chest might just forget about the whole thing after the campaign rolls to a halt?

We might all like to be careful here. Ganley enjoys suing people for defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Is Libertas being funded and supported by the yanks in order to prevent a stronger Europe and another major world superpower?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Is Libertas being funded and supported by the yanks in order to prevent a stronger Europe and another major world superpower?
    Nobody's suggested that. :)

Advertisement