Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would you improve the RDF?

• 11-06-2008 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

I've seen a fair bit of discontent with the RDF in this forum,
    I'd be interested in hearing what people would do to shake it up and reform it.

Any opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Well the main thing would be to keep recruits,but cutting the time it takes to get your paperwork done,and in the case of some units a little more displine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

How about completely downsize equip and restructure the force along the lines of the TA of national guard.

Provide proper job security and a 4 - 6 week bootcamp.

Fitness tests.

Time off to partake in maybe slightly shorter courses than the PDF do (nothing as short as they are now though) that require the theory studied from home and the same tests and fielddays covered as the PDF do.

Garnering of a parent / child symbiosis between a PDF batt and its Reserve batt.

Joint training exercises with integrated elements of reserve and pdf units,

standard SOP's in both elements

overall increased assesment of the rdf elements with feedback both pos and neg and reinforcement of required level of competency of higher ranks.

PDF parent unit involved in decisions regarding required training syllabus for the RDF elements.

some of these might help a bit????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

By disbanding it maybe!?How about not having me still waiting on a security clearance 9 months on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

eroo wrote: »
    By disbanding it maybe!?How about not having me still waiting on a security clearance 9 months on?

I am assuming you must have killed someone then...or you are not from Ireland.

The Not from Ireland one I have seen happen before. A Lad I know had to wait 1 year because he is from the Czech Republic, or Croatia. (I cant remember which)

To Improve It, Hmmm... Maybe attempt to rid it of the Drinking Club that some people regard it as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Fitness test to join, same as PDF.
    Make it stricter, get rid of gob****es/knackers, more intense training, much more effecient

• Advertisement

Fitness test to join, same as PDF.
    Make it stricter, get rid of gob****es/knackers, more intense training, much more effecient

Bad Idea for the Fitness test to join, Alot of people would be turned away. Maybe a Fitness program when you join with an aim to pass within 1 or 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Bad Idea for the Fitness test to join, Alot of people would be turned away. Maybe a Fitness program when you join with an aim to pass within 1 or 2 years?

If you can't run 1.5 miles in 11:30, do 20 press ups and 20 sit ups you shouldn't be considering joining the military. You don't have to even be fit to pass this test. I see what you're saying about turning people away, but it really isn't much of a loss if they can't do it. Quality not quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The RDF does not need more "fatties" there are already enough of them in it! The same fitness test the PDF have should be introduced and we all should do it evenry 6 months etc to maintain fitness and active gym memberships etc should be encouraged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Morphéus wrote: »
    How about completely downsize equip and restructure the force along the lines of the TA of national guard.

I can't speak for the TA, but some of the below are not done in the Guard.
    Provide proper job security and a 4 - 6 week bootcamp.

Fitness tests.

Both agreed. Boot camp will get everyone to the required minimum level of fitness per the tests. It then just becomes the soldier's responsibility to maintain that level, with reprecussions for failing such as bar to promotion/courses. Note that Guardsmen are intermixed with Regular Army in basic, there are no 'Guard courses' at that level, so everyone gets the same training, and it's a good way of breaking some of the 'us vs them' cultural barriers between the reservists and the active guys.
    Time off to partake in maybe slightly shorter courses than the PDF do (nothing as short as they are now though) that require the theory studied from home and the same tests and fielddays covered as the PDF do.

Guard does this, but also leaves open the option of attending the full-time course.
    Garnering of a parent / child symbiosis between a PDF batt and its Reserve batt.

Not something which is done in the Guard. Indeed, I can only think of two units offhand which are associated with a Regular Army unit, they are the recon squadron and artillery battalion assigned to 11th ACR. 11th ACR has no RA recon squadron/arty batt so there is no counterpart to work with per se.
    Joint training exercises with integrated elements of reserve and pdf units,

standard SOP's in both elements

overall increased assesment of the rdf elements with feedback both pos and neg and reinforcement of required level of competency of higher ranks.

Agreed.
    PDF parent unit involved in decisions regarding required training syllabus for the RDF elements.

Should not be required. A reserve unit should be capable of drawing up its own training plan to meet the required standard. For this, the leadership needs to attend the required schools, and they should be held accountable for failing to meet the standards.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Take the gloves off
    all recruit training done by PDF parent units
    sack a lot of officers

• Advertisement

I am assuming you must have killed someone then...or you are not from Ireland.

The Not from Ireland one I have seen happen before. A Lad I know had to wait 1 year because he is from the Czech Republic, or Croatia. (I cant remember which)

To Improve It, Hmmm... Maybe attempt to rid it of the Drinking Club that some people regard it as.
    I stopped finding it amusing 9 months ago!
    I am Irish,never been in trouble either!

But I agree,PT should be made a priority otherwise you can't be a proper functioning soldier.After all,could you imagine a joint RDF/PDF exercise..it would be a disaster.My neighbor is in the RDF for around 20+ years,he is an NCO and has a stone weight for each of his years!

If you can't run 1.5 miles in 11:30, do 20 press ups and 20 sit ups you shouldn't be considering joining the military. You don't have to even be fit to pass this test. I see what you're saying about turning people away, but it really isn't much of a loss if they can't do it. Quality not quantity.

If you take Quality over quantity then very few will show up. and even less will stay.

Look at it this way.

Unfit 17 year old is sitting around trawling the Internet. He Clicks a Random link. It directs to an RDF Page. On that RDF page there is some mention of a Fitness program. He looks down at his Gut, He looks at the screen. Hmm, That looks like an easy way to get fit and be paid for it.

So he goes to the Unit, and they sign him up. Do an assessment of his Current Physical condition by getting him to run the 1 1/2 miles and do as many push ups/sit ups as he can.

If he passes great, he goes on and gets fitter. If he doesn't How bad, he goes on and gets fitter in less than a Year. He also gets to shoot, do tactics and have fun.

Skip 1 year ahead. He now likes the RDF as a military thing rather than just a fitness club and is in College. He is fit and on some sort of sports team. Getting fitter and Fitter.

He Goes on a pots Course. He is plenty fit enough to pass it. as he has passed all his IT's for the last 3 years at this stage.

Now same fella is 21 and a Corporal with at least a Level 3 fitness level. Up from being a tubby recruit. He gets put on a PTI course. He trains recruits and the Process starts again.

Also, He is fit and he knows a kid who is unfit. He advises him to come along and join. and the wheels keep turning.

The only problem here is how to start a fitness program. I think it would be best to test everyones fitness, Lump people of similar fitness' from all the Units in a single Barracks into groups and train them like that so everyone rises at a similar pace. Do tests every month or 2 and if someone is doing better than the rest move them up a level. Until everyone is able to pass the IT's. Then most have to maintain a level of fitness and Recruits start the fitness program.

The PDF took about 18 years to get IT's to the Level they are at today. (Or so I have been told). The RDF Cannot be expected to do it overnight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Get RDF lads qualified as PTIs and they can organise military level fitness training programmes for the grunts.

Stop being so mamby pamby about not have to pass a fitness test.

Id rather ten fit lads joined having passed the entry IT than 100 failed and joined.

it would take a couple of weeks work to get up to required fitness level.

said tubby 17 yo recruit comes up and asks to join

he is told ok, your IT is scheduled for 8 weeks from now, heres the requirements.our PTI is holding a class each thursday here that instructs you on how to get fit for the IT, we suggest you attend if you want to pass and sign up. said recruit attends each thursday, getting reinforced on pressup situp technique and running, practices outside on his own time, gets fit over 8 weeks, passes the ITs and is in. he's now made more effort to join in 8 weeks than many recruits make at the minute. He is hooked and interested otherwise he gives up on the getting fit, fails his ITs and we dont want him because of this.

Also as far as i am aware, ITs are being introduced next year and ive heard that PTI (or isnt there a lower level PT?) course is being devised, has been devised for RDF members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

If you aren't fit enough to pass the entry test you are useless. It's not as hard as the ITs. If a person isn't fit enough to do it and doesn't take the initiative and get himself up to that level, he is not suitable for soldiering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Any opinions welcome.

Get rid of officers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Also as far as i am aware, ITs are being introduced next year and ive heard that PTI (or isnt there a lower level PT?) course is being devised, has been devised for RDF members.

The fitness tests have been in place for the S Bde PNCO course for the last 2 years and the results are disgraceful to say the least. PNCO's should be some of the fittest in the RDF due to their age and the requirements of the course and if this holds true then the rest of the AR has a long way to go. The grade 4 pass should be obtainable to anyone who isn't completely overweight and the grade 3 needed for career courses isn't a giant leap to obtain.
    It's too early to say "pass your fitness test or get out" but there should be incentives to pass them. Already I've seen career paths blocked because the person couldn't get the grade 3 (this apart from the PNCO course) so thats one incentive. However this won't really apply to those who have just joined. I think the best thing that could happen would be extra gratuity scaled on the grade you obtain. Get fit, get more money.

There is a PT Leaders course being run this summer for aimed for corporals and lieutenants. AFAIK this is the same as the PTL module that PDF PNCO's complete so this should (open to correction) bring these students up to the same standard as their PDF counterparts in terms of PT.

Could they not make it that you don't get to go on camp if you don't pass a fitness test and/or you don't get gratuity at the end of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

seems to be if a reservist can run the 1.5m in 11.30 and do 20 press ups and 20 sit ups that all the problems of the RDF will be solved...a lot of reservists would want to wake up and smell the coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

the GALL wrote: »
    seems to be if a reservist can run the 1.5m in 11.30 and do 20 press ups and 20 sit ups that all the problems of the RDF will be solved...a lot of reservists would want to wake up and smell the coffee

Shouldn't be a problem. Grade 3 and 4 are all that is needed for any course, and almost everyone could attain that in my subunit. Everyone could with a months work. That said, G3 does not equal battle fitness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

If you take Quality over quantity then very few will show up. and even less will stay.

Look at it this way.

Unfit 17 year old is sitting around trawling the Internet. He Clicks a Random link. It directs to an RDF Page. On that RDF page there is some mention of a Fitness program. He looks down at his Gut, He looks at the screen. Hmm, That looks like an easy way to get fit and be paid for it.

So he goes to the Unit, and they sign him up. Do an assessment of his Current Physical condition by getting him to run the 1 1/2 miles and do as many push ups/sit ups as he can.

If he passes great, he goes on and gets fitter. If he doesn't How bad, he goes on and gets fitter in less than a Year. He also gets to shoot, do tactics and have fun.

Skip 1 year ahead. He now likes the RDF as a military thing rather than just a fitness club and is in College. He is fit and on some sort of sports team. Getting fitter and Fitter.

He Goes on a pots Course. He is plenty fit enough to pass it. as he has passed all his IT's for the last 3 years at this stage.

Now same fella is 21 and a Corporal with at least a Level 3 fitness level. Up from being a tubby recruit. He gets put on a PTI course. He trains recruits and the Process starts again.

Also, He is fit and he knows a kid who is unfit. He advises him to come along and join. and the wheels keep turning.

The only problem here is how to start a fitness program. I think it would be best to test everyones fitness, Lump people of similar fitness' from all the Units in a single Barracks into groups and train them like that so everyone rises at a similar pace. Do tests every month or 2 and if someone is doing better than the rest move them up a level. Until everyone is able to pass the IT's. Then most have to maintain a level of fitness and Recruits start the fitness program.

The PDF took about 18 years to get IT's to the Level they are at today. (Or so I have been told). The RDF Cannot be expected to do it overnight.

The RDF itself cant get people up to a proper fitness standard from weekly parades alone, it requires lads to do it in their own spare time. Your average "fattie" aint gona be that motivated.

IMO if you cant pass the fitness test, your not gona make a very effective soldier. Your better of with and effictive unit of 30 soldiers, rather than 100 useless ones. It would have a better impact of the reputation of the RDF and Defence Forces in general.

• Advertisement

The RDF itself cant get people up to a proper fitness standard from weekly parades alone, it requires lads to do it in their own spare time. Your average "fattie" aint gona be that motivated.

IMO if you cant pass the fitness test, your not gona make a very effective soldier. Your better of with and effictive unit of 30 soldiers, rather than 100 useless ones. It would have a better impact of the reputation of the RDF and Defence Forces in general.

See Morpheus Post.

Also I believe that training could be done 2 nights a week with 1 night being a fitness training session.

I know this was done when My Unit was in Ballincollig barracks. but it is no longer done, from what I am told the PDF won't allow reservists near their Gym in Collins Barracks. (Even though my Cadre would get ME in there if I wanted.)

I agree about the 30 and 100 soldiers thing but, I feel it would be better to give people a chance.

Also it could be a good way of Promoting the Reserve. T-shirts and Shorts could be knocked up fairly cheaply saying "Army Reserve" and "Naval Service Reserve" and when people see a fit young lad running along the road ith them on it is possitive advertising.

Also I believe that training could be done 2 nights a week with 1 night being a fitness training session.

That's what we're hoping to start ourselves.
    I know this was done when My Unit was in Ballincollig barracks. but it is no longer done, from what I am told the PDF won't allow reservists near their Gym in Collins Barracks.

ALL DF personell can avail of DF gyms. Bring it up through your chain of command or get onto your RDFRA rep.
    Also it could be a good way of Promoting the Reserve. T-shirts and Shorts could be knocked up fairly cheaply saying "Army Reserve" and "Naval Service Reserve" and when people see a fit young lad running along the road ith them on it is possitive advertising.

Interesting idea. Being flippant for a moment, can you imagine it at the start when all the fatties are barely making it out the front gate, wearing their brand new ARMY RESERVE tshirts :eek:

concussion wrote: »
    That's what we're hoping to start ourselves.

ALL DF personell can avail of DF gyms. Bring it up through your chain of command or get onto your RDFRA rep.

Interesting idea. Being flippant for a moment, can you imagine it at the start when all the fatties are barely making it out the front gate, wearing their brand new ARMY RESERVE tshirts :eek:

1. Cool, Your AD aren't you?

2. Didn't know that at all. Wouldn't really want to use it much but nice to know I can!

3. I would revise it then, When you pass your IT's you get the T-Shirt and shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

can you imagine it at the start when all the fatties are barely making it out the front gate, wearing their brand new ARMY RESERVE tshirts :eek:

They can get them anyway.

On recruit camp.anyone could buy one.

They can get them anyway.

On recruit camp.anyone could buy one.

The way I meant the Army Reserve T-shirts is Large Emblasoned Letters.

And Possibly Dry-flo for practicallity.

There is a PT Leaders course being run this summer for aimed for corporals and lieutenants. AFAIK this is the same as the PTL module that PDF PNCO's complete so this should (open to correction) bring these students up to the same standard as their PDF counterparts in terms of PT.

It is, in fact, exactly the same.
    1. Cool, Your AD aren't you?

Yup. If your battery is in Collins Barracks then get in touch with 34 Bn, they had a student on the course, as did 3AD, NSR, 31 Cav, 33 Bn, 32 Bn (for those in S Bde.)

Myself and the other PTL in my unit are hoping to start training nights in barracks in the next few weeks to put people in a position to pass fitness tests next year, the same might be happening in other barracks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

After all,could you imagine a joint RDF/PDF exercise..it would be a disaster.My neighbor is in the RDF for around 20+ years,he is an NCO and has a stone weight for each of his years!

Joint exercises happen all the time and arn't disasters.

9 months to get security cleared, sure their aore no skeletons in your closet? :D
    Get RDF lads qualified as PTIs and they can organise military level fitness training programmes for the grunts.

There are RDF PTL's already and a few CTI's. PTI's will follow but takes more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Any opinions welcome.

easy. give it a job or get rid of it.

the RDF is underfunded, badly organised, badly run, unmotivated, relatively untrained because it doesn't matter that its underfunded, badly organised, badly run, unmotivated and relatively untrained.

there is, given the long held policy of the irish body politic, absolutely no chance whatsoever of it being used - therefore why bother?

if you had a hedge trimmer, but no hedge and no prospect of ever having a hedge, would you spend time and money keeping it in tip-top condition?

Rew wrote: »
    There are RDF PTL's already and a few CTI's. PTI's will follow but takes more time.

The chances of RDF PTI's are very slim -
    PTL - 2 weeks
    PTS - further 8 weeks
    PTI - further 6 months

Becoming a PTS (supervisor) is attainable and allows those qualified to conduct circuit training, free weights sesions and battle pt as well as constructing training programmes.

• Advertisement

PTL - 2 weeks
    PTS - further 8 weeks
    PTI - further 6 months

Becoming a PTS (supervisor) is attainable and allows those qualified to conduct circuit training, free weights sesions and battle pt as well as constructing training programmes.

Yeah but there is talk of the civvie equivelent cources becoming recognised via a short conversion course which would quickly add PTI's to the RDF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

PTL - 2 weeks
    PTS - further 8 weeks
    PTI - further 6 months

Battle PT without weight though, which is why PTI's are needed.

Yeah but there is talk of the civvie equivelent cources becoming recognised via a short conversion course which would quickly add PTI's to the RDF.

If it happens, it's ridiculous.

People should either do the Military Course or else live with the fact they won't hold said qualification in the DF.

Poccington wrote: »
    If it happens, it's ridiculous.

People should either do the Military Course or else live with the fact they won't hold said qualification in the DF.

Never heard such rubish, so all the people sent out on external cources shouldn't be allowed use the skills? All the degrees people have done in civvie land are no good in the army?

There is a massive over lap between the the courses and the rest is the very small amount of mil specfic that can be covers in a short period. The army courses arn't anything special.

Joint exercises happen all the time and arn't disasters.

9 months to get security cleared, sure their aore no skeletons in your closet? :D

They never sent our clearances away!!:rolleyes:

I would love to be able to use the free weights section/room in a barracks gym,as it would save me on gym fees.But what I wouldn't like is to have a PTI following me around,acting like I was a beginner.I have been engaged in fitness training for the last 2 years or so.I'm definitely not an expert,but I'm not a novice when it comes to fitness training either.So,will we be given programmes to follow as a group/Unit or will it be a case of ''tailoring to your individual needs''?We all have different goals;fat loss,bulk up,cardio,endurance,strength,power,speed etc.So can PTI's be utilised to help each individual soldier achieve his/her goal,or will all have to follow a unit/group programme?The benefits of training in a group can be endless for some,but not all.For example,I prefer to do weight training on my own,with only my ipod accompanying me!

I believe PTI's can and will do great things for the RDF,just so long as they are approachable rather than personnel being force-fed PT/nutrition info.

Battle PT without weight though, which is why PTI's are needed.

Wouldn't that just be PT in boots and DPM's then?? In fairness, that can hardly be called battle pt.
    There is a massive over lap between the the courses and the rest is the very small amount of mil specfic that can be covers in a short period. The army courses arn't anything special.

Agreed, there's a huge similarity. However, at the moment if you want to be a DF PTI you have to do it through the DF.
    I would love to be able to use the free weights section/room in a barracks gym,as it would save me on gym fees.But what I wouldn't like is to have a PTI following me around,acting like I was a beginner.I have been engaged in fitness training for the last 2 years or so.I'm definitely not an expert,but I'm not a novice when it comes to fitness training either.So,will we be given programmes to follow as a group/Unit or will it be a case of ''tailoring to your individual needs''?We all have different goals;fat loss,bulk up,cardio,endurance,strength,power,speed etc.So can PTI's be utilised to help each individual soldier achieve his/her goal,or will all have to follow a unit/group programme?The benefits of training in a group can be endless for some,but not all.For example,I prefer to do weight training on my own,with only my ipod accompanying me!

I believe PTI's can and will do great things for the RDF,just so long as they are approachable rather than personnel being force-fed PT/nutrition info.

The point of a fitness program is that it is tailored to the individual/groups needs - I don't think there's much to worry about.

• Advertisement

They never sent our clearances away!!:rolleyes:

You can already use the gym in a barracks, you don't need special permission to use it.

Wouldn't that just be PT in boots and DPM's then?? In fairness, that can hardly be called battle pt.

It depends on what the PT involves :p

There's a whole lot that can be done that would certainly not be called a bog standard PT. Until people can start training people with weight on their backs, it's feck all use.

Agreed, there's a huge similarity. However, at the moment if you want to be a DF PTI you have to do it through the DF.

Yeah but I know something is activly being persued to change this. Some of these guys are better qualified then the equivlent Army guys, silly not to take advantage if people are willing to lend thair skills.

Never heard such rubish, so all the people sent out on external cources shouldn't be allowed use the skills? All the degrees people have done in civvie land are no good in the army?

The Army use civvi qualifications that would benefit them.... Explain to me how allowing someone using their qualifications as a fitness instructor when there are already courses in place benefit the DF? Also, how many of said courses cover things such as load bearing exercises and military circuits?

I know of someone that came into the Army as a fully qualified Fitness Instructor who went on to do a PTI's Course.... He said he found the PTI Course quite beneficial and covered things that a normal civvi course doesn't cover.

You can already use the gym in a barracks, you don't need special permission to use it.

We were told otherwise!!

Would I need a PTI with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Not if your a civvie you cant.

Not if your a civvie you cant.

He could try argue that he's not a civilian if he turns up as an RDF Private though.

We were told otherwise!!

Would I need a PTI with me?

Let me make this much clear.... Nowhere in any gym I know of in barracks around the country does it state that a gym is for PDF use only. I've been in the gym enough times where I work to know for a fact it certainly doesn't state it in my barracks anyway.

In the gym in the job, it says ya can't do certain things unless you've a training program.... But nobody pays attention to it and nothing would be said as long as you know what you're doing with the weights and machines. In other words, as long as you're not standing there scratching your head muttering about how to work your shoulder muscles ya should be alright :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

He could try argue that he's not a civilian if he turns up as an RDF Private though.

If hes still waiting for security clearance hes a civvie.

If hes still waiting for security clearance hes a civvie.

Well then as soon as his clearance comes back he can try his luck :p

Let me make this much clear.... Nowhere in any gym I know of in barracks around the country does it state that a gym is for PDF use only. I've been in the gym enough times where I work to know for a fact it certainly doesn't state it in my barracks anyway.

In the gym in the job, it says ya can't do certain things unless you've a training program.... But nobody pays attention to it and nothing would be said as long as you know what you're doing with the weights and machines. In other words, as long as you're not standing there scratching your head muttering about how to work your shoulder muscles ya should be alright :p
    Yes,I know ALL DF personnel are allowed to use the gym but we were told that we are not allowed.Maybe it's because we are Recruits?

Yes,I know ALL DF personnel are allowed to use the gym but we were told that we are not allowed.Maybe it's because we are Recruits?

I will be finding out exactly what the situation is in Sarsfield in the next few weeks.

The Army use civvi qualifications that would benefit them.... Explain to me how allowing someone using their qualifications as a fitness instructor when there are already courses in place benefit the DF? Also, how many of said courses cover things such as load bearing exercises and military circuits?

I know of someone that came into the Army as a fully qualified Fitness Instructor who went on to do a PTI's Course.... He said he found the PTI Course quite beneficial and covered things that a normal civvi course doesn't cover.

I said very clearly thet their is a major overlap between the two not that their the same hence the short conversion course. Im sure anyone would find the extras benificial because they haven't done them before but the rest of it is a repeat.

How does it benifit the Army? Simple they dont have pay for 8 months training (saleries and training costs), they dont have to tie up resources for 8 months and they end up with more trained people for minimal effort.

Look at RDF drivers. They have to have a B licence before they will start training them because they arnt going to waste time and money training people to drive from scratch (altthough I think they will in the PDF). They took an RDF sigs guy and sent him on a Europen Ex with PDF because he was better qualified then the PDF lads due to be a snr comms engineer in civvie life.

Utilising civvie skills has nothing but benifits for them esp with the RDF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

1. Have a mandatory fitness level for everyone who is a member. And if anyone fails to meet the minimum requirement kick them out.

This can be easily done on an annual camp on the first day. Then whoever fails it send them home, regardless of rank, age and sex.
    Then if they are serious about being in the organisation give them until the following year to get back in shape. And then if they fail it the second time around, kick them out.

Doing it first thing on annual camp would be the best option. That way whoever fails and is going home doesn't have to unpack.

2. Improve the level of activity of corps units and the amount of investment put into them.

3. More weekends away, irrespective of the numbers who turn up.
    You should be rewarding the members who are bothered to put in the effort and the hours because this is where the organisation is falling down. Each unit should be going away at least once every two months.

4. Stop taking a break during the summer months. There is no need for it.
    I can agree with a short break in December because of the weather and people being busy with the holiday season.

5. Train more than two hours a week.
    I know that units have been told they can only train/parade once a week from on high, so that's not their fault. But they do need to be putting in more than what they are. This needs to be looked at in a serious light.

6. Someone from the PDF needs to look into the whole security clearance procedure. It takes far too long for paperwork to go through for people most of the time. And that is something that needs to change, especially in the modern age when everything is computerised. Yet they are still using an outdated system. It should only take a period of 6 weeks tops to come back, but it doesn't.

7. Get people into uniform and give them what they need. And if they leave, then make sure that the uniform is returned or replaced by the person who got issued it. And enforce this too. And if it is not replaced, then get the money for it from them.

8. Some sort of job security for people who take time off work. But if enough notice was given to people then they would arrange that themselves.
    But if there was some sort of a calendar of events/training posted on the DF website for the RDF then that would solve the majority of that problem I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

greenarrow wrote: »
    1. Have a mandatory fitness level for everyone who is a member. And if anyone fails to meet the minimum requirement kick them out. Rubbish, train people first. Those who joined prior to a change should not be kicked out because the posts have changed. Introduce fitness training before you test people. You learn rifle before TEOT same applies I hope for all military activities.

This can be easily done on an annual camp on the first day. Then whoever fails it send them home, regardless of rank, age and sex.
    Then if they are serious about being in the organisation give them until the following year to get back in shape. And then if they fail it the second time around, kick them out.

Doing it first thing on annual camp would be the best option. That way whoever fails and is going home doesn't have to unpack.

2. Improve the level of activity of corps units and the amount of investment put into them.Broad statement, define!

3. More weekends away, irrespective of the numbers who turn up.
    You should be rewarding the members who are bothered to put in the effort and the hours because this is where the organisation is falling down. Each unit should be going away at least once every two months. Rewarding?? Its not a social organisation.

4. Stop taking a break during the summer months. There is no need for it.
    I can agree with a short break in December because of the weather and people being busy with the holiday season. Annual Training

5. Train more than two hours a week.
    I know that units have been told they can only train/parade once a week from on high, so that's not their fault. But they do need to be putting in more than what they are. This needs to be looked at in a serious light. Why?

6. Someone from the PDF needs to look into the whole security clearance procedure. It takes far too long for paperwork to go through for people most of the time. And that is something that needs to change, especially in the modern age when everything is computerised. Yet they are still using an outdated system. It should only take a period of 6 weeks tops to come back, but it doesn't. PDF? Kop on!! Garda vetting unit under massive pressure sort out priorities first.

7. Get people into uniform and give them what they need. And if they leave, then make sure that the uniform is returned or replaced by the person who got issued it. And enforce this too. And if it is not replaced, then get the money for it from them. In Place

8. Some sort of job security for people who take time off work. But if enough notice was given to people then they would arrange that themselves. Get Real look at state of economy no need unless you are talking about long term deployment
    But if there was some sort of a calendar of events/training posted on the DF website for the RDF then that would solve the majority of that problem I would imagine. Unit training Plan

You are not in this outit very long I take it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement