Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SP's reading log

Options
  • 11-06-2008 1:33am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

From the last two months or so:

Cormac McCarthy - All The Pretty Horses
    Stephen King - The Dark Tower 2 - The Drawing of the Three
    Stephen King - The Dark Tower 3 - Wastelands
    Cormac McCarthy - The Road
    Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5

Currently reading:

Stephen King - The Dark Tower 4 - Wizard and Glass

I wasn't wild about the first two Dark Towers book but I'm really getting into it now.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Dubliners by James Joyce - very good, especially The Dead; my first intro to Joyce; easy read.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy - definitely not an easy read, either in terms of the language or the content; something you need to take your time with and probably requires a second reading to really appreciate but well worth it.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - not at all what I was expecting; really enjoyed it; very dark but also quite humorous at times.

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates - brilliant depiction of 50's suburban America; upcoming film by Sam Mendes.

Currently reading:
    The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut - half way through and loving it so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Q and A by Vikas Swarup — the basis for Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire. Very different from the film. It's good, excellent in parts, but the film is better. Writing style is very elementary. But a nice and easy read overall.

The Easter Parade by Richard Yates — the story of two sisters, one a free spirit, the other a housewife; covering the 30s to the 70s. Some consider this Yates' best. I'm not so sure but it is excellent.

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga — winner of this year's booker. A love/hate book it would seem. I loved it. Very ironic and extremely funny.

Advertisement