Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Fintan Lawlor Avenue When did it open?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 1:42am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am doing some research into the development of the road network in Ireland and I would like to ask if anyone on this forum knows when the James Fintan Lawlor Avenue opened?

I suspect that it was the 1970s or early 1980s and I believe that it acted as a relief road of the town centre before the M7 Bypass opened in 1997. Does anyone know, therefore, just when the JFL avenue was built?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Never heard of the JFL avenue tbh...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

James Fintan Lawlor Avenue is the road that skirts around the centre of Portlaoise town - effectively acting as a bypass of Main Street. It has the Laois Shopping Centre and Laois County Hall along its length and is 4 lanes wide.

I know for sure that it was built as a relief road for the centre of Portlaoise, but does anyone know prescicely when?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Your right. It was built as a relief road for the Main St. Can't give ya date tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Would you not just call Laois County Council Jupiterkid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Would you not just call Laois County Council Jupiterkid?

+1

I'd hazard a quess that it was built in the early 80's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

James Fintan lalor avenue was built (from what i remember being told) in 74/75 it was built mainly on land belonging to Frankie Meahen, Joe(the bun) Dunne and the Delaney family.
    Hopefully this is of help to you

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

@moose112...thanks a million for that info. It a bit of an irony that the road built to relieve traffic on the Main Street itself became a sort of new main street for Portlaoise.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

No Problem:)
    Yeah i can remember most of that being just green fields to be honest it has killed off most of the trade on main street, most business there is now pubs.

Advertisement