Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you here?

• 11-06-2008 5:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭

Why are you here? Are you an insomniac? Working strange hours? Living in a crazy time-zone?

I'm here because I'm in Japan, which is currently 8 hours ahead of Ireland. When I get to work, boards is just dying down for the night. It only starts to pick off when I clock off, and back-up is slap bang in the middle of my lunch break. Woe is me!

What takes you to boards in the middle of the night? 92 votes

Insomniac
    0%
    Working strange hours
    75%
    entropiWintersNevynozt9vdujny3srfSteve_oUser45701doonothingfunk-youHavermeyer1huge1KnifeWRENCHanonymous_joeMongeyAisling(",)DraganDuiskeKoviktroutDordAlmightyCushion 69 votes
    Different time-zone
    15%
    vasch_rosmoke.me.a.kipperManarisElemRekuTestTransmissionDoctor DooM[Deleted User]ian_mgebbeldcukhuntermrpantsnkay1985Daftendirekt 14 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    9%
    Dont be at yourselfkaimerathe deeRabiesGingerCrumble FrooMahatma coatBlack SwanXavi6 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Atari Jaguar
    I'm in Brisbane, Australia. There's usually a bit of evening chatter when I start work which dies to nothing after an hour or two.

I only just discovered this forum. Hurray for night-owls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Atari Jaguar
    I'm also in Oz, Perth to be exact and work sucks balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Atari Jaguar
    should be three options for this, before i came to nz, it was insomniac and weird work hours that brought me here, not to mention my fella lived in nz,a nd twas about the only tiem we could chat...

now it's just the time zone though... 11hrs ahead now... will be 13 by ye're winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Different time-zone
    just in off night duty ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm also in Oz, Perth to be exact and work sucks balls.
    How have you not been fired? Any jobs going there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Atari Jaguar
    Onkle wrote: »
    How have you not been fired? Any jobs going there?

Lol well I'm a journalist so a large part of my job is to browse the net in the name of 'research'.

Alt + Tab ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Working strange hours
    I have no idea

Different time-zone
    A week of night shifts once a month have me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

Different time-zone
    im working nights myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Atari Jaguar
    Start work at 8am, but usually up at 6am which is 5am GMT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Summer Holidays, don't get up till around 1 or 2.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Summer holidays indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm gonna go with - i've been having really weird dreams lately and am a little apprehensive about actually going to sleepybyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Working strange hours
    I'm an insomniac... I'm actually afraid of going to sleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

LovelyTom wrote: »

Bloody hell, that must be awful!

Is there any particular reason or is it an irrational phobia kind of thing?

I'm here cos I work nights and I also like seeing the signers for the deaf on the tv head-bang along to metal videos on kerrang and scuzz, funny sh!t!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Atari Jaguar
    Living in a crazy time-zone?
    Indeed, along with a bunch of crazy people in Bushyland! Plus, I have this problem... If I appear before the sun goes down, I'll catch on fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Atari Jaguar
    I'm gonna go with - i've been having really weird dreams lately and am a little apprehensive about actually going to sleepybyes!

i used to be like that a lot... when i was awake, i could take refuge in my own little fantasy lands, but when i slept, all the darker areas of my mind used to take over.... do you find bringing yourself to absolute exhaustion/drunkeness helps to give a deeper, more peaceful sleep?

i know someone like that.. it's werid... this is the third time today i've read one of your posts and wondered if you were maybe someone i knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Working strange hours
    Im old free and not single! Im actually up cos when I drink I dont sleep. Im not working cos Im out with a disabilty. My OH hates to see me on the internet cos he thinks Im having a fling!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I missed Nip/Tuck on Tuesday....but its on tonight at half one :D

So I'm feverishly waiting for my weekly dose of totally unbelievable, off-the-wall, full-of-gratuitous-nudity-and-sex plastic surgery tv show :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

Working strange hours
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I need very little sleep. If I get too much then I'm knackered and lethargic all day. Also the longer I stay up the longer I avoid the next morning. To sleep is to loose the battle. By not sleeping I stave off the monotonous ****e of the next day. That's my childish reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I'm only here cos due to other engagement i couldent get on earlier ,and now that i have arrived, i'm about to leave again cos i dont have time to stay

* sounds like something Groucho Marks might say * :D

night folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Working strange hours
    When Im really bad I go outside "with drink in hand" and just sit and wait for the next day. I always feel like Im only the one in the world awake. So alone sometimes..........................:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Different time-zone
    god damn nite shift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Working strange hours
    I'm always in a better mood at night so I stay up as long as possible to maximise happiness. I love not getting up until 1 or 2 in the afternoon (occassionally later)

I hate getting up early and I'm always a grumpy bastard in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

i used to be like that a lot... when i was awake, i could take refuge in my own little fantasy lands, but when i slept, all the darker areas of my mind used to take over.... do you find bringing yourself to absolute exhaustion/drunkeness helps to give a deeper, more peaceful sleep?

It's my own fault really. Sessioning a bit too hard, last night was actually fine.

At least this weekend now I'm being good :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Atari Jaguar
    Had a fight with my boatmate, so out counting to 10 (several times), sipping a brew in a javahouse, and checking out what nocturnals are about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Summer Hols:p

Different time-zone
    Had a fight with my boatmate, so out counting to 10 (several times), sipping a brew in a javahouse, and checking out what nocturnals are about...

Thry'll have you walking the plank! :)
    http://www.flagline.com/images/pirates/mutiny-shirt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Working strange hours
    i only sleep every 3 days or so so im usually always up

Advertisement