Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Recomendation - Non Gamer

Options
  • 11-06-2008 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've never built a pc before, but I've been lurking around here for a while and the idea is growing on me all the time. I'm not interested in gaming, I'll keep the PS3 for that, so I was wondering if you could recommend a good build for the following:
    • ITunes
    • Web Browsing
    • May use the machine for a small home business eventually

I know its fairly basic, but I'd like to be able to do the above things on a quick machine. No need for a savage graphics card or anything I dont think. I would like to stick to windows for now, probably Vista, I'm sure they'll iron out the creases eventually. Any advice appreciated! Also, advice is welcome on the best sites to follow for actually putting it together, I assume the ones in the sticky are the best?

Budget is approx €500 and would like to include a monitor if possible, although if it doesnt I'd pick one up handily enough on Adverts I'm sure
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

don't take this the wrong way, but i'd get a DELL.

The main reason for building a PC is to get more performance for cheaper, and then also open up the option of overclocking, customized cooling... etc.

But for web browsing and a possible home office i'd always recommend DELL, their prices on mid range PC's are actually pretty good, and they offer support which is invaluable to a home office user. The money you save from building it yourself will be dwarfed by the money you'll lose spending time trying to debug simple PC problems when your PC goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Dell all the way for that dude. Unless you've got your eye on a fancy case or a shuttle style cube pc, then self build is really only for people who are desperate to save money on high performance apps like games, or people who like to wave their big hard specs in people's faces. (see Anti's sig. :)

Advertisement