Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race Across America

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Met Colm Laverty on the road on my way home work one evening two weeks ago. He was telling me all about it. Sounds brillant and seriously hard. Yhe Irish guys are doing it as a team but the chaps that are doing it individually must have a few screws loose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/ Is the official Site...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

It is an ambition of mine to do this, I wouldn't mind doing it as part of a team first time out before trying it solo.

Anyone up for a boards team for next year ! ? (I am only half joking by the way - it would be very expensive and require serious fundraising and likely personal financing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    It is an ambition of mine to do this, I wouldn't mind doing it as part of a team first time out before trying it solo.

Anyone up for a boards team for next year ! ? (I am only half joking by the way - it would be very expensive and require serious fundraising and likely personal financing)

I'm sure we could get sponsored by someone -after all, we have our own jerseys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

On a similar theme, has anyone ever given thought to completing Paris-Brest-Paris? This is a 4-year target of mine.

• Advertisement

beans wrote: »
    On a similar theme, has anyone ever given thought to completing Paris-Brest-Paris? This is a 4-year target of mine.

Absolutely -the W200 was my first stage in the plan for PBP glory, or finishing :)

Also would like to do London-Edinburgh-London, but that might be too close (cos it's next year!)

I had hoped to get my road-bike ready for W200, but it looks like the first event I'll be able to take part in will be the Sean Kelly cycle.

RAAM is an unbelievable achievement, it boggles my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

In case you missed it, there was a good link to an article in a previous thread about RAAM winner Jure Robic

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Oooh ooh, I'm in!

Morgan wrote: »

Wow, what a character. Where's the 'slightly unsettled by that' smiley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Raam wrote: »
    Oooh ooh, I'm in!
    Just so we're totally clear here, I'm OUT. Very definitely out. Ye are all feckin bonkers. I'd think hard about DRIVING that distance in that timescale, never mind cycling the bloody thing, unless it was ALL downhill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That is bloody impressive- leisure cyclists that haven't raced before this year!? Is that entirely true or is it an embellishment?

Am I the only one who took Quigs suggestion seriously? :o

Am I the only one who took Quigs suggestion seriously? :o

I did too mate, cos I'm in the 'leisure cyclist' category -I think you may be too advanced :)

Who can we appraoch for sponsorship?

I did too mate, cos I'm in the 'leisure cyclist' category -I think you may be too advanced :)

I've never raced a day in my life, so I'm leisure too.
    Who can we appraoch for sponsorship?

The good people of boards.ie?

I've never raced a day in my life, so I'm leisure too.

The good people of boards.ie?

Highly suspect...

would everyone be willing to sponsor us a couple of grand each? :)

We could phone Discovery, see if they want to make a documentary?

I have been looking at Race Across America for a while now and mulling it over. I intially wanted to do a solo ride across the US but would not be able to get the 4 or 5 weeks holidays required (Maybe if a big fat redundancy check comes my way one day that will be the first thing I do - if I can convince the better half to drive a support car for me). It seems the RAAM as part of a team would be the next best thing. Not in it to win it or even compete obviously, just to finish.. you'd need support crew, lots of logistics getting bikes and gear across, mobile home rental for the support crew so you could sleep in shifts, a physio/medic etc... We'd all probably ideally need TT bikes, actually probably not, whatever we are comfy with as long as we make it. A team of 4 doing 4 hour shifts on the bike. Costly, maybe too much to put together for next year, lot of specific training required, maybe more one for 2010 (easier for the lads in the original article with all of this being organised for them by people in the know), but if enough momentum was gained I would definitely be up for it as early as next years race.

I have been looking at Race Across America for a while now and mulling it over. I intially wanted to do a solo ride across the US but would not be able to get the 4 or 5 weeks holidays required (Maybe if a big fat redundancy check comes my way one day that will be the first thing I do - if I can convince the better half to drive a support car for me). It seems the RAAM as part of a team would be the next best thing. Not in it to win it or even compete obviously, just to finish.. you'd need support crew, lots of logistics getting bikes and gear across, mobile home rental for the support crew so you could sleep in shifts, a physio/medic etc... We'd all probably ideally need TT bikes, actually probably not, whatever we are comfy with as long as we make it. A team of 4 doing 4 hour shifts on the bike. Costly, maybe too much to put together for next year, lot of specific training required, maybe more one for 2010 (easier for the lads in the original article with all of this being organised for them by people in the know), but if enough momentum was gained I would definitely be up for it as early as next years race.

All joking aside (and bearing in mind that I'm not exactly in the best of shape), but I would be all for trying to sort this out as part of a team. If we can get sponsorship behind us, I think next year is doable, but it would require a lot of legwork (not only in the training!).

Anyone have any ideas who would be good to approach about getting some cash, stick to bike manufacturers, or someone like m$ -also think recording the process would be a good idea, just in case (look at the success of long way round!)

and actually, a team of 4 cycling 4 hours on, 12 hours off would be very doable physically... (helps that I can sleep anywhere :) )

I saw a program on it a few years ago where a British team from the Royal Air Force, or some-such, were entering a team. The program was also about some non-service guy who was trying his best to get a place on the team. It was very interesting. I'm totally on for it.

• Advertisement

So me, Raam and Quigs Snr are up for it... is there a fourth willing to volunteer?

So me, Raam and Quigs Snr are up for it... is there a fourth willing to volunteer?

I had half convinced RogerB earlier today. I wonder what he'll say when I tell him I've signed him up?

I had half convinced RogerB earlier today. I wonder what he'll say when I tell him I've signed him up?

:)

man, I'm feeling horribly outclassed already!

I would be very much on for something like this, although I would suggest- lets get started with the Audax calendar here in Ireland as preliminary training.

Sorrento/Audax Ireland Surf and Turf 300 km from Clonmel, Saturday 21st June 6am. I will even wear my "ironed" boards jersey if I can't get a replacement! 100km longer than Wicklow but a MUCH flatter route (the Vee is nothing I can assure you.)

Anyone with me? :)

blorg wrote: »
    I would be very much on for something like this, although I would suggest- lets get started with the Audax calendar here in Ireland as preliminary training.

Sorrento/Audax Ireland Surf and Turf 300 km from Clonmel, Saturday 21st June 6am. I will even wear my "ironed" boards jersey if I can't get a replacement! 100km longer than Wicklow but a MUCH flatter route (the Vee is nothing I can assure you.)

Anyone with me? :)

Good idea, Blorg.
    I would go on the 21st, but I shall be a support runner in a race for my friend.
    http://www.westhighlandwayrace.org/ for anyone who is interested.
    Jeffo, if you are reading this, I still think you are a bit of a nutter for doing this. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

http://www.westhighlandwayrace.org/ for anyone who is interested.
    Jeffo, if you are reading this, I still think you are a bit of a nutter for doing this. :D

"...run/jog/walk to Fort William Leisure Centre by noon on the 22nd June, 35 hours to cover 153km (95 miles) including 4499m (14760ft) of ascent..." :eek: :eek: :eek:

niceonetom wrote: »
    "...run/jog/walk to Fort William Leisure Centre by noon on the 22nd June, 35 hours to cover 153km (95 miles) including 4499m (14760ft) of ascent..." :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just to point out, I will NOT be doing the full thing. Maybe 50k of it, but in staggered stages.

This years route...
    RAAMroute2008-480-90-480-70.jpg

I suspect it gets a bit boring once out of the hills and into the vast flat of Kansas.

This years route...

I suspect it gets a bit boring once out of the hills and into the vast flat of Kansas.

And that's where I shine... you guys can take the hills, I'll do the flats :)

How much do ye reckon the whole endevour would cost?

• Advertisement

How much do ye reckon the whole endevour would cost?

According to this link, it starts at $20,000, which is split between whoever makes up the team
    http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/subwebraam/raam.php?N_webcat_id=22#cost

According to this link, it starts at $20,000, which is split between whoever makes up the team
    http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/subwebraam/raam.php?N_webcat_id=22#cost

So, if we could sort out corporate sponsorship to the tune of 50k, we'd be laughing... that's only 50 companies willing to pay a grand -we could do it fairly easily I'd think

So, if we could sort out corporate sponsorship to the tune of 50k, we'd be laughing... that's only 50 companies willing to pay a grand -we could do it fairly easily I'd think
    That would be a bit of a jersey design challenge ;-)

That would be a bit of a jersey design challenge ;-)

And a helluva lot of companies if you ask me.
    Right that poxy tennis match on Eurosport is over, the Dauphine better be on now or I'll flip.

And a helluva lot of companies if you ask me.
    Right that poxy tennis match on Eurosport is over, the Dauphine better be on now or I'll flip.

That's at a maximum though, I think we could get 5-10k of some of the big places... Google and Microsoft and that..

I wonder if companies would take into consideration ultra-marathon experience when deciding to invest in a team? Anyone working in sales or marketing ;)?

• Advertisement

beans wrote: »
    I wonder if companies would take into consideration ultra-marathon experience when deciding to invest in a team? Anyone working in sales or marketing ;)?

All you need is a flash website, a humorous press pack, and maybe a charity to raise money for -tis easy to get money outa companies :)

Had another look at this- I had thought that the benefit of the team competition would be that you could take turns drafting in a bunch, e.g. I presumed each member of the team had to complete the whole distance.

But no, the team competition is relay, e.g. only one rider has to be on the road at a time. :eek: With a four person team, that is only 6 hours on the bike each per day. I'm definately in, this is starting to look easy :)

I'm definately in, this is starting to look easy :)

If we ever get there, we will have to remind you off that statement half way through!

The teams that will be competitive though will be averaging around 40kph... ! It's doable though, if we could average 30kph and just finish I'd be happy enough with that. The financing and momentum required will be tough.

If we ever get there, we will have to remind you off that statement half way through!
    Well more to the point it sort of underlines the gulf between the team and the solo competition. The team competition is looking very doable, in ways easier than a stage race (albeit in a stage race you would have more scope for drafting, and don't have to cycle in the middle of the night.) I don't think I'd be getting to a 40 km/h average but 30 and finishing might well be within the bounds of possibility.

• Advertisement

...don't have to cycle in the middle of the night.

For some reason, the aspect of that really appeals to me. Not sure why.

Ditto here, something about 'the lonely road warrior' or something about it...

I've done dark 50km cycles myself a fair bit and never found it terribly appealing. Often raining and with an inadequate front light solo on the N3, not quite sure where the edge of the road was. Might be better not raining, with adequate lighting and a team car behind I guess.

But on consideration I will happily leave the night shift to yourself and Tiny ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

What he said isn't repeatable in public. But yes, I'm interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

Like Quigs, I think we'd be looking at 2010 for this.

Maybe getting a Boards club affiliated with Cycling Ireland could be a useful step in getting leverage for sponsorship and maybe other benefits?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055296653

rogerb wrote: »
    Like Quigs, I think we'd be looking at 2010 for this.

Maybe getting a Boards club affiliated with Cycling Ireland could be a useful step in getting leverage for sponsorship and maybe other benefits?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055296653

As it happens, myself and Raam were talking a bit about it in the pub on Friday (never the best place to discuss such ventures!), and pretty much came to the conclusion that the best plan would be to do London-Edinburgh-London next year as a springboard for doing the Race across America in 2010.

Having a Boards club affiliated may or may not be an advantage, as I'd kind of envisaged having a team named after a main sponsor (so if google ponyed up 15k we'd be team google!), as that's the sort of draw companies may be interested in, but then I could well be wrong!

As it happens, myself and Raam were talking a bit about it in the pub on Friday (never the best place to discuss such ventures!), and pretty much came to the conclusion that the best plan would be to do London-Edinburgh-London next year as a springboard for doing the Race across America in 2010.

Having a Boards club affiliated may or may not be an advantage, as I'd kind of envisaged having a team named after a main sponsor (so if google ponyed up 15k we'd be team google!), as that's the sort of draw companies may be interested in, but then I could well be wrong!

What else did I agree to?!

Seriously though, for me, that makes the most sense: L-E-L in 2009, then RAAM in 2010. My palmares isn't exactly glittering so it would be a great experience to get some longer rides in.

What else did I agree to?!

I'll remind you of that in due course, as and when I need some leverage :)

According to the Planet X site (who provided the bikes) the guys are in the lead for the 4 person team category. Keeping up a solid average of 33km/h over 4,279km (up to time station 45, Smithburg, WV when I checked.) That is some going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

According to the Planet X site (who provided the bikes) the guys are in the lead for the 4 person team category. Keeping up a solid average of 33km/h over 4,279km (up to time station 45, Smithburg, WV when I checked.) That is some going.

There's a blog on this site: http://www.alanheary.com/v1/asp/default.asp?p=106

I've been following it on the race across america site. http://stats.raceacrossamerica.org/2008/reports/overview.html

They seem to have gone off course at some point and lost their lead. Still though - doing really well. Great average speed alright.

In the solo male rider category Jure Robic is leading - averaging 14mph from the start and apparently sleeping only 90 mins a day for the last 8 days.

Here's a great article on Robic that has probably been posted before:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

The 8 Man norweigan BMC team are now finished - they averaged 23.2mph!

• Advertisement
Advertisement