Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why would anybody buy a sports car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Automan wrote: »
    There is another reason to buy a sports car, they are safer than your standard car due to better breaks, better traction due to better suspension setup and a stiffer chassis and bigger tyres.
    You also have a bit more power to overtake quicker.

Thats fine as long as you have respect for the extra power. The worst thing is to drive around thinking you are indestructable because you have 'better brakes' and 'better handling'.

When I was young and inexperienced, I had a 1L Starlet that I would drive everywhere on the hairy edge. Nowadays I have something with 200BHP and would rarely use it's full potential, except maybe when overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Anan1 wrote: »
    All very true. You're still more likely to crash it, though.;)

Anan1 is this fact or just your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    How would you describe an MX 5?

Going by the OP's definition, it's a sports car. Depends entirely on how you drive it - mundanely for commuting and just enjoying a quiet ride in the country, the b*ll*cks of it when "that muppet in an Elise doesn't know when to quit" :D If you consider it (unlikely, but...), be sure to get a 1.8 (Mk1 preferably, the best looking).

Alternatively, indeed go for a sports saloon (a 4x4 spoorts saloon ;)) and get an Impreza WRX (and push a vice a bit further with an STi). Easier to run than the must-drink-98-Ron Evo's, although neither like Tesco/el-cheapo fuel stations in the long run. Up to 2007 would be my preference (the new shape is downright fugly), preferably a WRX STi D-spec to avoid the big spoiler/sniggers/unnecessary attention. Madder than a bag of frogs, eminently more practical than a Porsche, and bomb-proof reliability.

I speak of both types with equal pleasure, I have owned both (MX5/Scoobs) for years and yes, I drive 'in keeping with' ;) As rightly pointed out earlier in thread, you only live once, make it a good'un & get yourself some memories :)

Automotive program this Summer: getting the MX5 out of the mothballs and back on UK plates, then dropping it by this crowd for a "little attention". And changing the 2006 2.0 R Sports Scoob for a STi D-spec. F*ck the fuel shortage, says I :p

EDIT: have been contemplating a TVR for a looong time, but they're admittedly worse than Ferraris when it comes to the "on the road/off to be fixed" ratio :eek: I'm still not ready for the grief ... maybe when I can run a 3rd car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for!

I don't have a sports car but I have a damn powerful one and I have put €240 worth of petrol into it since last Wed - covered a very unusual (for me) 1,000kms in that time but it's still painful.

Think of a sports car/high powered one like a high maintainance girlfriend - you might <the SNIP also applies to double entendres :D> but it'll cost you! ;)

Advertisement