Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those who have left- will you go back?

• 11-06-2008 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, i am from a fairly rural part of Donegal but have been living in Dublin for the past 3 1/2 years.

Although there is a lot I miss about donegal, particularly the friendliness, the down to earth atitude and my family (in no particular order) to be honest, I can never imagine living there again.

It has certainly occured to me that if i ever had kids I would like them to have some of the innocence you get being from a place like Donegal. However I think a bigger city encourages much more individualism, creativity and freedom to be yourself than rural Ireland, which very much divides into two groups of those who are cool and those who are not.

I was just wondering (while bored at work) what everyone else thinks. If you have come from a very rural quiet background and moved to the big smoke, will you stay, or will you eventually go home and try to give your kids the same ease of life you had?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭neighbours

I left the city to come back to Donegal and couldnt be happier, we sure are a friendly bunch even out here where you'd expect to meet John Wayne riding accross the mountains ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Well I moved here from Glasgow Wifes family from the Rosses and I for one would never move back my children grew up here and all love it two of them do live in Scotland but only due to the fact one is at uni the other moved there for work reasons but both want to come home ASAP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would think personal circumstances would dictate matters with most people. I spent 2 years in Dublin and hated it. Well not all of it - I enjoyed a bit of the nightlife as well as having a huge park beside us in Ringsend where we played many enjoyable soccer matches.

Thats quite a while ago but I honestly couldnt wait to get home again. The big thing for me was that no one spoke to you in Dublin. You wouldnt even know who the next door neighbour was whereas here you knew everyone within a 3 or 4 mile radius.

In saying that I have 2 sisters in Dublin. One of them will never come back here and the other thinks about it now and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Thumpette wrote: »
    Hey everyone, i am from a fairly rural part of Donegal but have been living in Dublin for the past 3 1/2 years.

Although there is a lot I miss about donegal, particularly the friendliness, the down to earth atitude and my family (in no particular order) to be honest, I can never imagine living there again.

It has certainly occured to me that if i ever had kids I would like them to have some of the innocence you get being from a place like Donegal. However I think a bigger city encourages much more individualism, creativity and freedom to be yourself than rural Ireland, which very much divides into two groups of those who are cool and those who are not.

I was just wondering (while bored at work) what everyone else thinks. If you have come from a very rural quiet background and moved to the big smoke, will you stay, or will you eventually go home and try to give your kids the same ease of life you had?

I would like to be able to go back home but you need to save a fortune to do this as there is no future employment wise in Donegal due to our politicians. Hopefully but probably not is the answer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

:pac:Yeah the old Cetic tiger certainly never boarded McGeehans bus and headed into the wilds of Donegal.

when I loved to Dublin first it took me ages to not say hello and smile at strngers on the street- if ya do that here they think you're k-k-k-k-razy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Depends on the person. I personally come from a fairly rural area and I've never felt very stifled as in individualism, creativity and freedom. Some people find the valley of the squinting windows too much. Some people (like me) just don't give a damn.
    And anyway, I'm not a people person. I have friends and get on with most people, but too many is a pain in the backside. Space, quiet and darkness at night. That's where it's at for me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

il gatto wrote: »
    Depends on the person. I personally come from a fairly rural area and I've never felt very stifled as in individualism, creativity and freedom. Some people find the valley of the squinting windows too much. Some people (like me) just don't give a damn.
    And anyway, I'm not a people person. I have friends and get on with most people, but too many is a pain in the backside. Space, quiet and darkness at night. That's where it's at for me:D
    I love Donegal, full stop - its beautiful! I have lived in a City (not Dublin), town, village and now in rural Donegal and wouldn't want to be any where else! Such peace and quiet, at night it is dark, you can see all the stars on a clear night (the sky is actually clear not full of smog), brilliant! As for the nosy neighbours, I don't actually have any to be honest, we just get on with our lives and look out for each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Well I am a Dub and left it for Donegal. My wife is from up here and there is no way I'd allow my son to be brought up in present day Dublin. Will never return. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

at home in the hills for the weekend and after noticing all the great things i miss about the place like the eh...?...unemployment.....boy racers....small town mentality.....pop scene section in the derry people by donal K Boyle......Nah doubt I'll be back here for ages yet....livin in north wicklow ya really feel connected to the rest of the country...Donegal is a great place to chill out and isolate yirself from the rest of the real world although after a while it gets soooooo boring!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I'd go back in the morning but we are pretty settled in Mayo and I wouldn't be able to convince the missus that it was a good idea :(
    She is a Mayo woman so it would just mean that she would be the one living away from home.
    I find it really difficult being away though. As small a country as Donegal is, its still different to anywhee else (in a good way of course).

Such is life I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I would be back in a flash..
    If I won the Lotto Tonight..I'd build a mansion..... actually I'm Lying.. I'd buy a small cottage at the foot of the BlueStacks,With an open fire and a Kreel of Turf beside it..I even would try to give the TV a miss for a while..

I'm in wexford at the moment cause G/F is here... But I will get back home soon.
    Unfortunately, Jobs are Limited,and you are undervalued anywhere outside the cities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I married a Dub so I actually don't get a choice!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Beautybeanie

Although I've been to Ireland before, I've never been to Donegal but I've lived in a lot of big cities.. as in 5-20 million. I prefer the rural life.

I've posted a thread explaining my current situation/plan so if you're inclined to give an opinion, I'd love to read it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315426

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If I could get a job based in Donegal that paid even 80% of what I'm on now, yes, I would.

My current job *might* creep towards there (I'm a field engineer for North Leinster at the moment).

That said, going home home would be wildly impractical, what with ferries and all that...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MYOB wrote: »
    If I could get a job based in Donegal that paid even 80% of what I'm on now, yes, I would.

My current job *might* creep towards there (I'm a field engineer for North Leinster at the moment).

That said, going home home would be wildly impractical, what with ferries and all that...
    Get a nice helicopter and landing pad on the island! :D

Mightn't be cheap though with the rising cost of fuel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Would love to but no future for my career back home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Well I moved here from Glasgow Wifes family from the Rosses and I for one would never move back my children grew up here and all love it two of them do live in Scotland but only due to the fact one is at uni the other moved there for work reasons but both want to come home ASAP :D

You sound very like my neighbour... :eek: You living in Dungloe? Chapel Rd area?
    slickmcvic wrote: »
    at home in the hills for the weekend and after noticing all the great things i miss about the place like the eh...?...unemployment.....boy racers....small town mentality.....pop scene section in the derry people by donal K Boyle......Nah doubt I'll be back here for ages yet....livin in north wicklow ya really feel connected to the rest of the country...Donegal is a great place to chill out and isolate yirself from the rest of the real world although after a while it gets soooooo boring!!

x2

When I first moved to Dublin missed Dungloe like crazy, now I can't stand going back there. In Dublin, you have the anonymity which I like when going shopping or going to a restaurant but in Dungloe it's the total opposite. I also don't like the way people still look at me like the person I was 7 years ago. Dublin gave me more independence.

I like going back up there to just cut back from my normal life. But couldn't stick out more than a week up there. If I was to settle down anywhere, it'd be just outside Dublin on the N2 road not Ashbourne though... ah well, a girl can dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mcbads08

Yes and no

Yes for family, friends, a calmer pace of life, cracking surroundings and brilliant people

No as the employment prospects are pretty poor and alot of the smaller towns (including the one i'm from) need to become alot less closed minded !

Would definetely retire back home though in the future!

You sound very like my neighbour... :eek: You living in Dungloe? Chapel Rd area?

That was my son I live in the port:)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭casey jones

For most people there are no job prospects in Donegal, simple as that. However that said the mystery of Donegal's apparent wealth never ceases to amaze me. The amount of new houses and new cars don't seem to have any basis in economic logic. There are no additional jobs above what would have been there 20 years ago, apart from building houses that is !

Maybe it's the worst example of the building 'boom to bust' economy, houses built on credit on no other basis than a belief that they have to go up in value.

As regards the original question I would love to live in Donegal but only if offered a good job but there's the rub. It's highly unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the missus is from Donegal, and after we get married, I'd expect us to settle up there, dependant on jobs etc. I must say, I'm very open to the idea - I like the pace of life, the friendly neighbours and the scenery. I'm sure I'll have to adjust tho, I'm a bit worried about the pacd of life, nosey neighbours and the lack of things to do :D

I know people have said that in Dublin you don't know your neighbours, but I find it very strange that EVERYONE in my g/f's village knows everything about everyone else. The stuff you hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Years ago I would've bit the hand off you to move back to Donegal. Not anymore, its no different from anywhere else in Britain, ffs you've got all the British shops in Lettekenny no wee craft shops no good pubs(well maybe The Orchard and the Cottage) - you could be in any small town here(except for the oul accents)! As for the crime rate it seems to be really climbing all the time, especially the drug scene and really when I go home I don't find people to be as friendly at they used to be. Saying all that though I do like to visit family at least once a year or I think I'm missing out!

Madam wrote: »
    Years ago I would've bit the hand off you to move back to Donegal. Not anymore, its no different from anywhere else in Britain, ffs you've got all the British shops in Lettekenny no wee craft shops no good pubs(well maybe The Orchard and the Cottage) - you could be in any small town here(except for the oul accents)! As for the crime rate it seems to be really climbing all the time, especially the drug scene and really when I go home I don't find people to be as friendly at they used to be. Saying all that though I do like to visit family at least once a year or I think I'm missing out!

Your right bout the drugs though they have been about for years when I irst moved here years ago I had some pretty heated discussions with the garda and others who for some reason had there heads in the sand and kept saying there was no problem when it was clear to a blind man there was but because i was a "blow in" they did'nt want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

I don't find people to be as friendly at they used to be.
    I'd agree with that. I've been away 20 years, and come every year either for 2 weeks in the summer or for 2 trips of a week each. Everytime I'd be home I'd be walking up to the house and everyone be saying "hello". I noticed about 5 or 6 years ago no-one does it, not at all. I wonder if it's because of immigration into the area (the newbies don't know to say hello back) or Donegal's been invaded by city-folk with no manners! ;)
    Saying all that though I do like to visit family at least once a year or I think I'm missing out!
    Yeah, same here, if I don't get at least one trip home I really feel like I'm missing something. I don't know if I could ever move home for good, one just get's used to the fatalities and lifestyle of a city. Plus, I'd never get a decent job near home at what I do, and comutting to Sligo/Letterkenny/Derry wouldn't appeal to me (I do 15 on the underground, and walk home in 30 min now).

Now, if I won the lotto I could change me mind. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bettlebrox wrote: »
    I noticed about 5 or 6 years ago no-one does it, not at all. I wonder if it's because of immigration into the area (the newbies don't know to say hello back) or Donegal's been invaded by city-folk with no manners! ;)
    I think thats a fairly accurate summary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

bettlebrox wrote: »
    one just get's used to the fatalities.
    Hey bettlebrox, you might want to rephrase that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Should not have left in the first place then you'd have been happy to accept inept politicians and the fact we're a bit of an unwanted annex to the republic, only now they really enforce all the laws, on the Islands and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

outside falcaragh,20 years in london,7 in dublin(balbriggan at the minute )would be bored in a month down home
    maybe one daywhen im older

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irish5er

I grew up in small town in Donegal, worked there for several years and moved to the city to work for number of years. Not Dublin. Came back and got the rose coloured glasses knocked right off. We're planning to leave asap. If Its sooooo boring ! If I didnt have a car I'd have cracked already ! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I must admit, the thought of replacing my Dublin mortgage with Donegal Beer money is sorely tempting.

Advertisement