Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to Vote Yes - What are they?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Actually I do have one question - not sure exactly how to phrase this but , that the treaty allows for itself to be changed without going to referendum again? Now this seem crazy, true?
    Untrue.
    The Lisbon Treaty now proposes to give the European Council (Heads of Government) the power to propose changes to certain parts of the governing Treaties. Any such changes cannot increase the competence of the EU. Any such proposals must be agreed unanimously by the European Council. This means that any national government may veto such a proposal. If the European Council does agree a proposed change, then in order for it to come into effect, it must be ratified by the Member States in accordance with their own constitutional traditions. This may require a referendum in Ireland as happens at present.
    http://www.lisbontreaty2008.ie/lisbon_treaty_changes_gov.html

[Edit]

Beaten to the punch by Scofflaw yet again! Curses!

*Shakes fist in angry fashion*

[/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Thanks, Im off to do some more trawling through the threads - figure out if im a yes or a no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

djpbarry wrote: »
    Untrue.

http://www.lisbontreaty2008.ie/lisbon_treaty_changes_gov.html

[Edit]

Beaten to the punch by Scofflaw yet again! Curses!

*Shakes fist in angry fashion*

[/Edit]

I am so going to be spending Friday with my typing fingers in icepacks. I think my fingers are actually shorter now.

repetitive strain injuredly,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Right thats enough reading, I am voting Yes.

I dont think that the reasons for voting No outweight the advantages of the Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

kluivert wrote: »
    Right thats enough reading, I am voting Yes.

I dont think that the reasons for voting No outweight the advantages of the Yes.

Good for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm of the opinion that if everyone had the information that kluivert has then the overwhelming majority of this country would ratify the treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm of the opinion that if everyone had the information that kluivert has then the overwhelming majority of this country would ratify the treaty.
    I wish that were true...

Unfortunately, there is a core group of 'No' voters, headed up by Sinn Féin, who will reject absolutely everything that comes out of Brussels, regardless of how good/bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Old thread

but most of the reasons still hold true

we also have had the hindsight of over a year

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Here's a really really simple easy to understand and well written piece on the case for a "yes" vote

http://www.jasonomahony.ie/The_Improved_Spoofers_Guide_To_The_Lisbon_Treaty.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

IRLConor wrote: »
    A lot of what is put across in the mass media on both sides about the treaty is horrendous spin or outright lies. It's pretty easy to see why it would come across differently each time.

The problem with the quote the treaty text argument is that one of the main reasons the Yes side are putting out there to vote yes is an increase in jobs and a better economy.

Now we could simply turn around and say show me where it says that in the treaty but that wouldn't really be fair.

Reading the between the lines, its plainly obvious that the treaty has nothing to do with the economy or creating new jobs.

Do you really think a treaty that was negotiated pre the Lehman collapse is going to have provisions for improving the economy / financial order?

• Advertisement
Advertisement