Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age did your little ones start walking

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just curious, my wee man is nine months and pulling himself up standing and cruising along the furniture all ready for off :)
    I said as much to another Mum at the creche yesterday and she went on about it not being good for them to walk too early and bow legs and I'm just wondering if any of you would have any concerns.

Thanks
    Sulukie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And thing from 9 months to 15months is with the bell curve.
    If he is up and moving by his own choosing then good, he is able.
    If you have concerned have a chat with your baby nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My older boy was walking unaided at 10 months and the younger one at 12 months and neither are bow legged. As a childminder I've seen a lot start walking from similar age to 18 months etc.

Some started cruising at 10 months but didn't walk alone until 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you have concerned have a chat with your baby nurse.

Baby nurse? As in Public Health Nurse? Why bother. They are worse than useless. Our one doesn't even know how to weigh or two lads properly. Keeps writing down completely different weights in pounds and kilos which in no way match up. And then we don't know if it was the pounds or kilos weight was the correct one. She can't even read the conversion chart properly so I certainly wouldn't trust anything they say to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ludo wrote: »
    Baby nurse? As in Public Health Nurse? Why bother. They are worse than useless...
    That's some generalisation there Ludo. Just because you've had a bad experience - don't tar them all with the same brush. I've had a couple of bad pints of stout over the years, but it hasn't stopped me drinking them.

Back on topic - my eldest lad (HB Jr I) started walking at almost 11 months. His younger brother (HB Jr II) is now 17 months & still prefers to scoot around on his ample backside or just stand & hold onto furniture.

OP - I wouldn't worry about the old wives' tales of bow-leggedness. Each child will start to walk when they are good & ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Agree with Hill Billy. You can hardly tie him down ! One friends baby was up and walking at 9 months while another friends' two kids scooted around on their bums til they were 18 months. All normal :) My two both started pulling up and cruising at 11 months and walked at 14 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I remember back in 1990, my little sister started walking when she was 8 months old. There was no holding her back! She's nearly 19 now and the only signs of bow leggedness evident is on her way back from a night on the tiles! I've my first offspring due this October and come this time next year, if he/she wants to walk, I won't be holding them back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

cruising/coasting at 9/10 months - walking at 12 months.

I think the "advice" about them putting too much weight on their legs and possibly causing bow legs is when they are much younger and you are holding them and letting them put weight on their legs for a long period of time.

If a baby is pulling themselves up, its not too early...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

Thanks everyone, he's definitely ready to walk and as littlebug said I can't tie him down - can't even persuade him to sit down :D

I wasn't really worried but then I started to wonder....:)

Glad I can come here to ask silly questions.

Sulukie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Hill Billy wrote: »
    That's some generalisation there Ludo. Just because you've had a bad experience - don't tar them all with the same brush. I've had a couple of bad pints of stout over the years, but it hasn't stopped me drinking them.

+1. I just had to second that as our public health nurse is great. I wouldn't want anyone to judge their public health nurse before knowing them. As said, some may not be great but some are!

As for the thread question, I think you've been well answered. I defo wouldn't worry about them going walking at 8 months+. Might be time to proof your home a bit more though if you haven't already. i.e. stairs, edges of tables etc.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

My first didn't walk until she was 15 months, second at just 10 months and thrid at exactly 12 months! Doesn't seem to have any adverse affects on them at all. They all talk, walk, stand, sit, crawl, etc at different times.

Re the PHN I've heard a few very negative comments about them recently and I usually find (not in Ludo's case) that its when they are telling people something negative they don't want to hear about their child that they are tarred as "useless". People seem to be particularly touchy when it comes to baby weight gain. If they are told their child is not gaining enough weight the automatically state that the PHN hasn't a clue etc. I've always delighted in having my kids weighed as babies and been thrilled when they've gained well. If they hadn't I wouldn't dismiss it but be concerned and try to find out why instead of dismissing any concerns the PHN might have. Sorry for going off topic but its a thing that really irritates me.

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »

Yeah it is a complete generalisation and not very fair alright. Sorry but I am majorly pissed at our one as she was useless. No information given of use, no visits other than two in the first week they were home (premature twins which I would have thought would require somewhat regular visits as they were just out of special care when they came home). We rang her regularly to come visit but she invariably never turned up and when she did, she messed up all the weights. Her answer for EVERYTHING was cranial osteopathy. I eventually figured she was on a commission.
    She said their "flat heads" (forget the medical term right now) were not a problem and they would grow out of it. Happened to be in the hospital the following week and they were sent for physio immediately as they couldn't turn their heads properly. She didnt pick up things like that which to me should be the basics. Luckily it was sorted out quickly but we took her word for it initially which thought us our lesson.
    Anyway..apologies to all PHNs out there for my outburst. I have heard of mostly good things about them myself in fairness but I am still pissed over the wifes trip to her yesterday. I wold prefer to put my faith in a doctor though rather that a PHN.

Way off topic...sorry but I had to explain my "rant" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Ludo, have you written a letter of complaint? Because that treatment's shocking. Especially being on commission - surely against their code of practice!

UB wrote: »
    Ludo, have you written a letter of complaint? Because that treatment's shocking. Especially being on commission - surely against their code of practice!

Sorry, when I said I figured she was on commission,. I meant I was guessing as she was pushing it so hard as a solution for EVERYTHING and pushing one practitioner in particular.

And yes, I am in the process of writing a letter but phrasing it "politely" is proving to be a bit of a challenge :D

She has already been complained to the HSE by a pharmacist after she told a neighbour of mine that her one moth old had thrush and to get durg X now. The pharmacist asked what it was for and when told said that drug is strictly for over 5's or something like that. He had a look and it was formula on her tongue! He rang the clinic and the HSE immediately to report her.

Luckily the boys have another hospital checkup next Tuesday so will get them thoroughly checked out then by a paediatrician.

On topic, they are 7 months now (5 corrected) and nowhere near standing yet. Only just showing signs of wanting to sit up. Can't imagine them walking for a long time but you never know. I didn't think they would roll over for months either but they did that pretty early. Ya just can never tell when they want to do things and we figure they will do things as they want to so I would be slow to stop them doing anything unless told so by someone qualified for a medical reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Both of mine were about a year old when they started walking.

But, every kid is different - one friend's little one was nearly 2 before he took off, lazy little shit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

My wee man started crawling at 9months & started cruising not long after & walked at 12mths

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

my first walked on first birthday and my second walked at 13 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

My experience is, with both ours that they looked like they were about to take their first step for about 3 months! As you said, they'd be cruising along the couch, then standing with just one arm holding on, looking like they were just about to go for it... for 3 months a least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Ludo wrote: »

On topic, they are 7 months now (5 corrected) and nowhere near standing yet. Only just showing signs of wanting to sit up. Can't imagine them walking for a long time but you never know. I didn't think they would roll over for months either but they did that pretty early. Ya just can never tell when they want to do things and we figure they will do things as they want to so I would be slow to stop them doing anything unless told so by someone qualified for a medical reason.

Ludo My eldest was 6 weeks early and I was told to expect her to do things at her corrected rather than actual age. In reality it was all a bit mixed up ie some things at expected actual age and some at corrected age. She was very slow to roll over, slowish to sit up, slow to crawl but then on the same day as she finally got the knack of moving forward she stood up too. Things like smiling, verbalisations and fine motor movements... grasping, moving things from one hand to another etc came at the expected actual age rather than corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I started walking at 11 months (my mother brings it up a lot lately!) and my legs are perfectly fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

My little girl started walking between 9 & 10 months.
    She's 14 months tomorrow! Flying it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

I thought that the issue (if it can be called that) with babies walking before 12 months is that research suggests that there is a higher incidence of Dyslexia in children who walk before age one. This is because they don't spend enough time crawling to develop their spatial awareness.

I've never heard about the bow legged thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

MLE wrote: »
    I thought that the issue (if it can be called that) with babies walking before 12 months is that research suggests that there is a higher incidence of Dyslexia in children who walk before age one. This is because they don't spend enough time crawling to develop their spatial awareness.

I've never heard about the bow legged thing.

Can you cite your references for this please.

I am dyslexic and I have excellent spatial awareness abilities indeed scored highest in my hear in school in stats for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I was told that too and I'll try track down where they found out that info.

Slightly different mind, I was told if a baby walks without learning to crawl first, they could be dyslexic. And I have come across that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

My little girl atarted walking at 11 months. She was one over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

my first one started walking at around 15 months, even though he'd already managed to stand up months before but preferred crawling for a while. my second one, i'm pretty sure will walk a lot sooner, as he was flipping over at around 4 months, is now 6 months and is crawling. He's a big boy though as he's already wearing clothes for 2 year olds:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

my wee man started at 10 months as did my 3 sisters and I. None of us are bow legged, dyslexic (!!!??) or have any other ill effects from it.

Advertisement