Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The counter offer

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Applied for a new job about a month ago with a company and ended up getting the job. start in a months time. The new job is about 15k more than what I was on though the work is the same but in a more senior position with some added responsibilities.

Gave in my notice Monday, I have a contract signed by the new company and signed by me but I haven't returned it yet.

Had a meeting with my direct manager this morning and they offered me an extra 17K plus a couple of other perks which basically means the 2 jobs are on an even footing. Both jobs are the same distance from each other (about a 20 min drive) both buildings are nice and have good canteens/on site gyms. The recruiter for the company called and asked when I would be sending in the contract. I'm undecided as to what I should do. Should I tell the recruiter I got a counter offer and see if the new company offer more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

counterguy wrote: »
    Should I tell the recruiter I got a counter offer and see if the new company offer more?
    It can't hurt.

Weigh up the following items also:

1. What are the current company like for pay increases and perks? I.e. Is this the last salary increase they'll give you for five years?
    2. Will you get the increase immediately or will they give it to you down the line, bit-by-bit
    3. Do you still enjoy working in the current place - i.e. is money the only reason you went looking for a new job?

In the case of 2, if you choose to go with your current company, you should ask them to present you with a new contract immediately confirming the salary and whatever else. If you decide to stick with them and then reject the other company, your current place could very well decide to sit on the issue for another few months, with the knowledge that you have to go back on the hunt if you want a new job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Take the other company, I'll list a few reasons:

1) Your current company only thought you where worth another 17k after you decided to leave. Clearly something is wrong here or they where trying to keep you for the cheap.

2) Changing to a more senior position AND another company in general looks better on CV then staying in one company for 30 years (shows your knowledge is not limited to one company).

3) Change is good, as long as it don't happened to often.

4) How will your relationship be with your boss when they know they bought you this time but that you've have been looking and is likely to do it again?

5) Counter offers have a tendancy to, aah, be overstated once you turn down the other contract or a couple of months down the line. In general people I've meet tend to regret taking a counter offer from their current employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

@counterguy - the very first thing to do is check if there is an expiry on your job offer. Then get a counter offer in writing from your current place.
    Nody wrote: »
    Take the other company, I'll list a few reasons:

1) Your current company only thought you where worth another 17k after you decided to leave. Clearly something is wrong here or they where trying to keep you for the cheap.

This is a tough one - 15K under what would appear to be the going rate does sound like you were way under what you should have been. That said, the new role is a more senior role, so the OP wasn't technically being paid 15K less than what he should have been on.

Also companies are unlikely to offer an additional 15K just in case someone might leave. If you look on this forum you see plenty of cases where people are working for less than their subordinates. Why? Because the company made an offer of what they thought the person would work for.
    2) Changing to a more senior position AND another company in general looks better on CV then staying in one company for 30 years (shows your knowledge is not limited to one company).

3) Change is good, as long as it don't happened to often.

I agree with these two points.
    4) How will your relationship be with your boss when they know they bought you this time but that you've have been looking and is likely to do it again?

This is business. If they were worried about loyalty, then they wouldn't make the counter offer. If they are professional then they should be going through each and every reason why the person wants to leave, and try and address them.
    5) Counter offers have a tendancy to, aah, be overstated once you turn down the other contract or a couple of months down the line. In general people I've meet tend to regret taking a counter offer from their current employer.

I accepted a counter offer a couple of years ago, but ended up leaving 18 months later. The cash was matched, but some of the other problems were never resolved. When I eventually resigned again, I couldn't trust any promises that would have been made.

As above, unless you can nail down each reason and get a definitive plan to address these, then the odds are that you'll make the move again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Garthicus

Something like 70% of employees who are counter-offered and choose to stay are no longer employed at that company 12 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Two things:

The first being what seamus has said:
    seamus wrote: »
    In the case of 2, if you choose to go with your current company, you should ask them to present you with a new contract immediately confirming the salary and whatever else.

The second is: why did you look for a new job? By this I mean is the extra €17K going to wash away all the stuff that prompted you to leave the 1st job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm guessing the OP made his mind up one way or the other by now. Would be nice if people came back and updated the threads they started...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Garthicus wrote: »
    Something like 70% of employees who are counter-offered and choose to stay are no longer employed at that company 12 months later

Too true, people seem to forget why they wanted to get out of their original company in the first place. Those problems/issues don't normally just disappear because you choose to stay on. I'd seize the new opportunity to be honest.

Advertisement