Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is My Vote Legal?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

My wife filled in the electoral register form and ticked the "Irish Citizen" box for me so I am now allowed to vote in a referendum and duly received my voting card as expected. However, I am from Belfast and hold a British passport and have never made any efforts to take up "Irish Citizenship". I am currently living in the Republic of Ireland and my wife is an Irish Citizen. Did I automatically become an Irish Citizen through marriage or maybe even the Good Friday Agreement or am I incorrectly (and perhaps illegally) registered on the electoral role?

So here's the question. Should I be allowed to vote in a referendum? Will I even be allowed to vote tomorrow seeing as my only form of ID is a British passport or UK driving licence? If an Australian lad turned up with his Aussie passport and said, "it's bonzer mate, I'm married to a Dublin Shelia" would it all be above board?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You received your voting card, I don't see why you would not be able to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

chipclub wrote: »
    My wife filled in the electoral register form and ticked the "Irish Citizen" box for me so I am now allowed to vote in a referendum and duly received my voting card as expected. However, I am from Belfast and hold a British passport and have never made any efforts to take up "Irish Citizenship". I am currently living in the Republic of Ireland and my wife is an Irish Citizen. Did I automatically become an Irish Citizen through marriage or maybe even the Good Friday Agreement or am I incorrectly (and perhaps illegally) registered on the electoral role?

So here's the question. Should I be allowed to vote in a referendum? Will I even be allowed to vote tomorrow seeing as my only form of ID is a British passport or UK driving licence? If an Australian lad turned up with his Aussie passport and said, "it's bonzer mate, I'm married to a Dublin Shelia" would it all be above board?

Obtaining a voting card by deception is an offence under the Electoral Reform Act 2003 as is using it, knowing it to have been so obtained.

As to if anyone will notice, no, as you are asked for ID only in exceptional circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

ircoha wrote: »
    Obtaining a voting card by deception is an offence under the Electoral Reform Act 2003 as is using it, knowing it to have been so obtained.

As to if anyone will notice, no, as you are asked for ID only in exceptional circumstances

Although all NI citizens are entitled to full ROI citizenship so I don't think he would be prosecuted for trying. He might not be allowed vote until he applies and becomes officially an ROI citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

By being born in NI you are automatically an Irish citizen.
    Your UK driving license is a valid form of ID.

Advertisement