Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to Science/Pre University Science courses

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

I am intending to go back to university and study Bsc. in Physiotherapy. My background is in Art and this seems to be against me when applying to colleges as a mature student. So an access to Science course seems the best option to help me secure a place on a course. (I already have some work experience).

The two I know of here in Dublin are Access to Science in UCD and a Pre University science course in Colaiste Dhulaigh, Coolock. Has anyone any advice on which would be a better choice? Anyone done either of these courses? The course at UCD is quite expensive at 1590 euro for a part time course but would it have a better standing getting a place on a course as its a UCD taught programme?

Any help would be great, thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 soccerchick

I would imagine that the Access course in UCD would be the best option as it will be a university you will have to go to. Try out www.daycourses.com its a great website and has a forum where you can get advice from the career guidance woman. Maybe open university would be another option. I am currently doing a similar course in uni and there is a mature student with me who had no background in science and she got in....but the only reason you may not is if you have not done a science subject at leaving cert level? She did loads of work experience and general voluntary work to show that she is well rounded. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes I was trying to log onto that site to post a question but they have yet to send me a confirmation email. Might try to register again.

No, I did Biology for the Leaving Cert but I still feel a science course behind me would be good as my current (hopefully soon previous) career is totally different from Physiotherapy and I think gives the impression that I'm a no brainer.

Yes, I'm thinking UCD is the way to go as the Colaiste Dhulaigh course seems to help gain entry to DCU and DIT science based courses but none of the 3 uni's that I'll be applying to.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Larianne wrote: »
    I am intending to go back to university and study Bsc. in Physiotherapy. My background is in Art and this seems to be against me when applying to colleges as a mature student. So an access to Science course seems the best option to help me secure a place on a course. (I already have some work experience).

The two I know of here in Dublin are Access to Science in UCD and a Pre University science course in Colaiste Dhulaigh, Coolock. Has anyone any advice on which would be a better choice? Anyone done either of these courses? The course at UCD is quite expensive at 1590 euro for a part time course but would it have a better standing getting a place on a course as its a UCD taught programme?

Any help would be great, thank you!

Open University (dublin office, off Merrion Square) or www.open.ac.uk has some courses like maths for science etc.give them a call

Advertisement