Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HasBean

• 11-06-2008 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be placing an order with Hasbean in the next few days. In trying to continue the community building spirit of Mr Magnolia (who got me beans from hasbean) and Reactor (mazzer \o/).....

Does anyone want to save themselves shipping costs and get stuff shipped with my order?

I can meet in Dublin city centre, of you can pick stuff up from my house. If it's anything more than a trivial cost (say a tenner) and I don't know you (in real life) you'll have to pay me up front.

I'll be getting a fair bit, so whatever you get almost certainly wont be impacting my shipping costs (and therefore I wont pass on any costs to you, unless there are some, but they'll surely be small....from what I can tell, it looks like hasbean has a fixed shipping cost).

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Nice offer Khannie. Will you be ordering some more cuban for yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Big time! Absolutely savage stuff that Cuban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Buy yourself a Rancilio Silvia to go with that new grinder of yours.

310GBP not too bad.

Now yer talkin' sense. :) Actually fairly reasonable money for the machine in question given the strength of the euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

Hey Khannie

If you have not ordered yet I'd be interested of getting some. I am new to all this so I would try anything you recommend.

• Advertisement

I probably wont order 'til Monday. Is it green beans you want? (for roasting yourself) Or pre-roasted ones?

I got a selection of green beans when Mr Magnolia ordered. Unquestionably the Cubans were the nicest. They sell it (green) in 250g or 2KG bags. Here's a link to the 250g green.

Hi Khannie,

Firstly fair play for your very kind gesture. I am living in Clondalkin and could meet you anywhere to give you money in advance.

I have not gone as far as roasting my own coffee beans....well not yet anyway but have however just purchased a Gaggia Classic and a Rocky grinder. I have bought beans from Starbucks and Bewleys on Grafton Street but yet to find something really nice.

So I will be just getting some pre-roasted beans and have not got a clue about these either so I will pretty much go for anything.

Fair enough. :)

No worries by the way. Glad to help. :)
    On the money front: I'll send you my bank account details and you can just lodge the money. Save yourself some effort. On getting the coffee to you: I train with a lad who lives in clondalkin. I could give them to him and we could sort something out there, or you can come into town and meet me at my office. Whichever you'd prefer.

On the coffee front: I really loved that cuban I linked you to. Hasbean do it pre-roasted so you can buy that. I'd suggest getting a selection of stuff and see which you like the most. I'll let others on here suggest different coffees from hasbean that are worth trying. I got some of their espresso blend too and quite liked it (though I wasn't making espresso with it). I also got some wild ethopian organic stuff but wasn't mad about that (I couldn't seem to get a decent strength mug out of it for some reason).

Ok Great Khannie,

I'll have a look at the site and pick a few out. I wouldnt want to buy to much as I'd be afraid it would go stale before I got to use it. Actually thats a question I wanted to ask...how long do the beans last and whats the best way to store them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

BlueMonke wrote: »
    Ok Great Khannie,

I'll have a look at the site and pick a few out. I wouldnt want to buy to much as I'd be afraid it would go stale before I got to use it. Actually thats a question I wanted to ask...how long do the beans last and whats the best way to store them?

Buy enough to last you a couple of weeks if you're buying pre-roasted.
    Apart from the usual Cuban we all seem fond of, I'd recommend most of
    the Guatemalan beans. I'm a fan of the Finca San Francisco Tecuamburro.

REACTOR put me onto the Brazilian Perfetio espresso which is good.

I highly recommend these for storage - Lakeland is pretty cheap and prompt
    on shipping, pick up a half dozen you'll find them handy for storing
    not only loose tea and coffee but other foodstuffs.

• Advertisement

Cheesr Hermano,

Hi Khannie, I will pick out an order over the weekend and do a transfer on Monday with the amount it totals to plus I don`t mind halfing the delivery with you.

If you pm me details I'll mail you my order and transfer money on Monday if thats ok.

Yeah, sounds good. I'll PM you my details now.

Don't worry about the delivery. Thanks for offering though.

Apart from the usual Cuban we all seem fond of

Brace yourselves coffee lovers.....

it's all gone. :(

Khannie wrote: »

It is indeed a sad day, I have 12 kilos of green Cuban in the kitchen
    cupboard. It better last until Steve gets this years harvest delivered.

Khannie wrote: »

I must have go the last of it then because I ordered some earlier in the week, along with some other stuff.

1 x 2 kg of Green Old Brown Java (ref OBJ2) () = £11.95
    1 x 2 kg of Green Indian Monsoon Malabar (ref MOO2) () = £12.60
    1 x 2 kg of Green Cuba Turquino Lavardo (ref: cub2) () = £15.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

is there shipping costs with the hasbean website?? thanks

I noticed earlier this week that it said 'out of stock' but I didn't believe it. I've about 9/10 kilo's of it left myself.

Anyone ask him when it'd be back?

Like the new avatar Mr M (what's this caffeine pimps business?). 9/10 kilos of one type of bean seems excessive. I probably have that amount but I don't have the same bean twice.

@emurphy - yeah there are shipping costs, but delivery is usually 2-3 days. If you make up an order, you can see the shipping costs before you commit with your credit card (I find it generally pays to buy in bulk though).

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Like the new avatar Mr M

Thanks for that.
    (what's this caffeine pimps business?).

Looking into a bit of a venture. I'll fill you in when I complete my research. That forum name probably won't stay though :)
    9/10 kilos of one type of bean seems excessive. I probably have that amount but I don't have the same bean twice.

D'ya think? I have some other beans in lesser quantities but I can;t find anything that matches the cuban, suggestions welcome.
    @emurphy - yeah there are shipping costs, but delivery is usually 2-3 days. If you make up an order, you can see the shipping costs before you commit with your credit card (I find it generally pays to buy in bulk though).

Yeah, meant to say that in my post above.

Looking into a bit of a venture. I'll fill you in when I complete my research. That forum name probably won't stay though :)

I see. Khannie had mentioned something...
    World domination ensuing...

D'ya think? I have some other beans in lesser quantities but I can;t find anything that matches the cuban, suggestions welcome.

Haven't tried the cuban yet, so maybe it's the dog's balls, but there are so many different beans available, I feel I would be limiting myself.

Currently loving the Costa Rica Cup of Excellence Libano. Great single origin espresso and also great in the filter / vac pot.

Yemen Mokha Matrar is another really good one, not sure if its still available, but it was a very distinct bean. I think I once described it as having a kind of salami taste, but it was more a slightly fermenty pungency. This was evident in the espresso, but when you put it in a moka pot, it was full-on in your face.

Indian Peaberry bold was nice, but in no rush to try again (zero acidity though - quite distinct from other beans).

Ethiopian Wild Bonga forest ditto (although I will say I think that had the nicest mouthfeel of all the beans I've tried).

Also currently have the Hasbean Cup of Excellence espresso blend, which I haven't tried enough to be able to give a verdict on yet.

As Gran Hermano has said - the Brazil Perfeito Espresso blend is a great all rounder. Good for espresso, good for lattés/cappuccinos.

Nicaraguan Margogype - great for filter (not suitable for espresso) - good combo of citrus-y flavours (unusual for south american) and caramel.

Didn't like El Salvador Finca La Fany Bourbon at all (but I still have some and may revist at a later date). Always found it a bit sharp in the espresso, and ok in the filter.

Lastly, CoE Honduras La Fortuna, still playing around with this one. Mixed thoughts about it, but with all the messing around with grinders and machines over the last month, I don't think I've given it a fair crack of the whip.

• Advertisement

I have 12 kilos of green Cuban in the kitchen
    cupboard.
    I've about 9/10 kilo's of it left myself.

Hoarding bastards! Screw you both! I want some!

emurphy: Shipping seems to be around £16 unless you hit a fairly high weight limit (> 10KG). As the others have said...it pays to buy in quantity.

Haven't tried the cuban yet, so maybe it's the dog's balls, but there are so many different beans available, I feel I would be limiting myself.

Currently loving the Costa Rica Cup ......

Great post. Thanks. I'll be noting this down for the next hasbean order. Let me know if you want a sample of the Cuban, either green or roasted - t'would be no problem.
    Khannie wrote:
    Hoarding bastards!

You have much to learn grasshopper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

No more Cuban :(

:(

:(

Great post. Thanks. I'll be noting this down for the next hasbean order. Let me know if you want a sample of the Cuban, either green or roasted - t'would be no problem.

ordered some earlier in the week - just hasn't arrived yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

Hi Guys. I decided to stick this here as it pertains to mainly Hasbean. I, like Khannie, have invested in a Lidl air popper for dabbling in the black art of coffee roasting. I had been considering an iRoast 2 for a while, but for the price of the popper, it's well worth the experiment. Anyway, I ordered a couple of small bags of green beans from Hasbean, and I wonder if anyone has any experience / opinions of these blends:
    Green Cup of Excellence Espresso Blend
    Green Has Bean Espresso Blend

I normally drink Palombini Dolce Italia, which I like muchly. Does anyone know how these Hasbean blends compare, allowing for the fact that I have never roasted coffee before and will be aiming for a similar roast (Full City+ ?)

Regards

Dero wrote: »
    Hi Guys. I decided to stick this here as it pertains to mainly Hasbean. I, like Khannie, have invested in a Lidl air popper for dabbling in the black art of coffee roasting. I had been considering an iRoast 2 for a while, but for the price of the popper, it's well worth the experiment. Anyway, I ordered a couple of small bags of green beans from Hasbean, and I wonder if anyone has any experience / opinions of these blends:

I normally drink Palombini Dolce Italia, which I like muchly. Does anyone know how these Hasbean blends compare, allowing for the fact that I have never roasted coffee before and will be aiming for a similar roast (Full City+ ?)

Regards
    As I said about the CoE espresso blend, I haven't played around with it enough to get a definite verdict. Haven't had any Palombini in a while, but I always remember it being better than the equivalent Illy / Lavazza.

Don't know about the other espresso blend, but I suspect it will be more balanced. Limiting a blend to just CoE coffees maybe restricts your choices to nail down a well rounded blend (i'm not an expert - but I think that makes some sense). Also the Has Bean Espresso blend uses some robusta, which is common in many italian blends, so maybe the full on flavour takes a little hit in favour of body and caffeine.

Dero wrote: »

I got some of the standard espresso blend before and liked it. I wasn't making espresso with it though. It was going through the pour over.

I mailed Steve, he's working on sourcing a replacement. In his words he's looking for a crop as good as the Turquino Lavado.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ordered some earlier in the week - just hasn't arrived yet...

I'm interested in your opinion of the cuban, when you get around to trying it let me know.

Going to resurrect the 'Which coffee are you drinking now...' thread, hopefully be a good way to help decide on future orders.

• Advertisement

Haven't gotten around to it yet, but you ****ers have built it up enough, so now doubt it can't live up to the hype.

Will roast some this morning, and try it in the next couple of days.

Here I am stuck in the middle of the Indian Ocean,would swap two weeks diving for a Cuban espresso right now :)

Here I am stuck in the middle of the Indian Ocean,would swap two weeks diving for a Cuban espresso right now :)

That sounds very interesting. Enjoy the trip Gran Hermano!

A long overdue big thanks to "Khainne" (Have been away for awhile) for adding to his order an getting it to me successfully. ;):D

Thanks Kainne the coffee was super. :D:D:D:D

(Better late than never :D)

Most welcome. :)

Advertisement