Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did ye think of french?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Boink08 wrote: »
    Muffinman, I've done some more research into that question. I put the passage into a translator (yes, I'm sad :p ) Here's what came out:

Depuis quelque temps la célèbre artère perd de son panache. Les trottoirs? Abîmés par les camions des livreurs. Les façades historiques? Elles s'avilissent de décorations criardes à l'intérieur des vitrines. Sans parler des difficultés de nettoyage liées à la suppression des poubelles.

into

Since some time the famous artery loses of its panache. Sidewalks? Damaged by the trucks of the deliverymen. The historical facades? They demean themselves of shrill decorations inside windows. Without speaking about difficulties of cleaning linked to the abolition of garbage cans.

Assuming it's right it would seem the answer to the question (why has the avenue become dirtier) might be the "difficulties of cleaning linked to the abolition of garbage cans"? As sidewalks "Damaged by the trucks of the deliverymen" doesn't have much to do with being clean?

Yeah I thought about that afterwards.. The bins is certainly correct.. But I might still get away with my answer.. Oh well one question isn't going to change much anyway.. I think the verb used was abimer (with a circonflex on the i :p) which means destroy.. so we'll see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

nyangnyang wrote: »
    horse riding(treks on horses) and expeditions through the forest

ha i had horse riding and BALLET!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

how did the truck driver guy know he was in a different country????..........Road Signs????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

abcxyz123 wrote: »
    how did the truck driver guy know he was in a different country????..........Road Signs????

thats what i said,i wasn't sure though,probably the hardest question

Yep..

• Advertisement

muffinman wrote: »
    Yep..

thanks! last question! what did sophie's parents say about her career in acting???

i said it didn't interest them and they never intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

thanks! last question! what did sophie's parents say about her career in acting???

i said it didn't interest them and they never intervened.
    I said the same....

What about her mother?
    I said she was a saleswoman......and came home late

blue-army wrote: »
    I said the same....

What about her mother?
    I said she was a saleswoman......and came home late

yeah i heard 'venduese' sales women, and it said she left early and came home late

^^^ Yep, yep and yep ;)

^^^ Yep, yep and yep ;)

thats the job!!! what grade you think you got??? im hoping for
    a2
    ......but would be happy with a
    b1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leixy

shortys94 wrote: »
    So much for olympics coming up. :)

I prepared the Beijing olympics too, but for the event in Ireland i talked about the Special Olympics, was able to use a few phrases from what id prepared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 *pda

Aargh in that question in the aural about the athletes moving from their home country I spent th first 2 times through listening for comparisons between Russia..but did they mean contrasts???that's all I heard and only ended up getting one down cuz I decided to give up on the comparisons on th third go.. apart from that, and the last question on th first comprehension it was okaay..!I think!

a2
    b1

To be honest I'd be disappointed with anything other than an
    A1
    . My oral went brilliantly, thought the written was great, and hoping for full marks in the aural :)
    But it definitely is my best subject

*pda wrote: »
    Aargh in that question in the aural about the athletes moving from their home country I spent th first 2 times through listening for comparisons between Russia..but did they mean contrasts???that's all I heard and only ended up getting one down cuz I decided to give up on the comparisons on th third go.. apart from that, and the last question on th first comprehension it was okaay..!I think!

well i suppose a comparsion can be a contrast. one of them was that the shops dont open on sunday in france. was the other that there are more problems in france? couldn't quite remember what graves meant so i just said problems/matters

*pda wrote: »

Comparisons threw me for a second.. But think about it.. A contrast is a type of comparison..

well i suppose a comparsion can be a contrast. one of them was that the shops dont open on sunday in france. was the other that there are more problems in france? couldn't quite remember what graves meant so i just said problems/matters

No the second one was more strikes (greve)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

a2
    b1

Same as you my friend ;)

Comparisons threw me for a second.. But think about it.. A contrast is a type of comparison..

Yeah, it threw me at the start too. But if I've learned anything for comparative studies in English it's that a contrast is definitely a comparison :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 *pda

this time last year I would've just thought that and not been bothered at all. that stupid english comparison study has the difference hammered into me now!!!

No the second one was more strikes (greve)

ah crap,for some reason I always forget that word,Its actually weird.

• Advertisement

one more question,in the comprehensions can anyone remember the answers to the tick the box questions?(i can even remember the questions!).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 x-katz-x

Ah crap i didnt get that one bt i was delighted at guessing devienne right for the subjunctive in the comprehension! Yay! I did the essay on silence and turned it into an essay bout noise pollution and pollution in general, i loved the diary entry which was easy nd i did the essay on families no longer eating meals together. Overall, im delighted with how it turned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Originally Posted by Boink08 viewpost.gif
    Can anyone confirm the answer to these questions:

"Pourquoi est-ce que le maire est absolument furieux?"

About the lack of funding provided by the city to keep the C-É clean

and

"D'apres la quatrieme section, pourquoi l'avenue est-elle devenue plus sale recemment?"

Delivery Trucks driving on the footpaths

and

"Citez l'expression qui montre que Nicolas voulait a tout prix empecher Lucrece de partir."

I don't have the paper but it was in the last paragraph, just after he tried to stop her from getting into the car

The mayor was absolutely furious because the crystal fountains in the middle of the roundabout that someone (can't remember the name now) donated to the town were broken. It said something about the mayor thinking it was a disgrace that the funding wasn't provided to keep it clean but it then went on to say that what heightened (key word here: "comble") his anger was the thing about the fountains. I'd say that'll have caught a few people out.

And for the Q about why the avenue has become dirty lately I said the thing about the bins being taken away.

The subjunctive was definitely devienne.

A lot of people seem to have written about a happy event but didn't link it to a place. Most people that did understand "endroit" seem to have written about Croke Park. I considered writing about Croke Park but I'm glad that I didn't now.

Overall I was quite happy with the paper. The listening couldn't have been better. Usually the news section is very difficult but that was superb!

one more question,in the comprehensions can anyone remember the answers to the tick the box questions?(i can even remember the questions!).

i definitely had a c............ ill see when they put the papers up onwww.examinations.ie later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 allthatjazz

thought the paper was grand..am i the only one that did the question on women and men in the last section..just by chance last night that popped into my head and prepared a few sentences on equality. Happy days!! Aural was the easiest I think i've ever heard...!1st comprehension bored me to tears..but was copable..2nd comp. was fine but didnt really understand the last few lines... and the diary entry was just beautiful!!!!!! delighted :D

for te diary entry entry did ye still talk about the accident even though it was 2 days ago? i did? and will you lose marks for not putting the date on it and signing it? I always forget the simple things:mad::o

for te diary entry entry did ye still talk about the accident even though it was 2 days ago? i did? and will you lose marks for not putting the date on it and signing it? I always forget the simple things:mad::o

Yes i just had my date down as lundi 21st juin or watever it was and just said blah blah on saturday i fell blah blah..
    em to be honest ye i think you do have to put the date but im sure its only worth a mark or two...no biggy

The mayor was absolutely furious because the crystal fountains in the middle of the roundabout that someone (can't remember the name now) donated to the town were broken. It said something about the mayor thinking it was a disgrace that the funding wasn't provided to keep it clean but it then went on to say that what heightened (key word here: "comble") his anger was the thing about the fountains. I'd say that'll have caught a few people out.

Think you may be right about this actually. I saw both of these but i wasn't sure what comble meant so I went with the thing about funding :mad: Hopefully I'll get some marks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

It didn't say that you'd broken your leg two days ago. It just said the date and that you break your leg.

• Advertisement

It didn't say that you'd broken your leg two days ago. It just said the date and that you break your leg.

it did...your writing the diary two days later...

Advertisement