Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did ye think of french?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 awaitingdrummer

bugger i heard vendeuse and assumed it was serveuse! thats a waste of 3 ****in marks anyway. victimise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 squishywelly

french was easy peasy citron squeezey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 prawn

kfc123 wrote: »
    Can somebody clarify this please? I did Q1A about a place where you were happy. I thought it was a sort of narration and I talked about how I won a football final in dublin. I used all past tense. How many marks will I lose?
    That should be grand because they asked you to describe a place in ireland (endroit) which you assosciate with a happy occassion and why. So you would be covered by saying Dublin and winning the football final, unless you didnt specify Dublin as the place you won it in.

AARGH I didnt read the 2 days later bit in the diary! and Ive been speaking french since I was 6!!! Ah well.. I did say that I was annoyed because I wanted to scratch my leg, but couldnt get to it because of the cast. The paper was actually really good but the essay topics were a bit random. Although the great thing is that they did actually test your capabilites in French rather than your ability to memorize chunks of text. Well done SEC, hope German is the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Damn, I didn't see the bit about two days later in the journal intime either. But I'm faily sure I had either the 21st or the 22nd as my date, so hopefully...
    I doubt it'd be too many marks lost anyway, just for the wrong date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Yeah, no he collected them after the written and gave them back to us before the aural (we moved rooms). We were waiting for one of the lads who was stuck in traffic. I think he just wanted something to do. Pretty soft really, some people got to fix comprehensions and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

moonflower wrote: »
    Damn, I didn't see the bit about two days later in the journal intime either. But I'm faily sure I had either the 21st or the 22nd as my date, so hopefully...

balls! mine said "ce matin"

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

moonflower wrote: »

ah what!! two days later?! i was writing at ten o clock that night...bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Aural I'm near enough full marks for I'd say.

Comprehensions a wee bit trickier than uaual.

I tried to keep the discursives as simple as I could so should be ok hopefully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

for the comprehension,the english question at the end,do you have to quote from the passage? Our teacher sai you don't but my sister said you do,im not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 YawnForKnowledg

I loved this paper, which is saying something because I hated doing French as a subject in school (the teacher was head-wreaking and I just wasn't bothered). I hadn't studied any of the "high-brow" topics like drugs or the environment (wasn't too worried anyway - decided I'd aim to deliver some top-notch off-the-cuff bull****) and aren't I glad I didn't waste my time now! I'm pretty confident that I showed off my understanding of basic French as well as delivering a specific opinion. I can't believe I'm typing this, but I'm fairly sure I squeezed a B1 out of everything!

First comprehension was fine enough. The second was good as well but I really messed up the final section - I was sure Nicolas was in love with what's-her-face. I did Croke Park for the place, claiming that there was not just one particular happy event but many (each victory for Dublin in GAA, for example), so I covered my tracks there. Diary entry - watta beauty! Didn't noticed the 'two days later part', but I'm not too worried. Opinion on families not eating together anymore - I don't think I've waffled/lied so much in ANY language (or subject, including history!), but it was in French and it'll get me marks!

All in all a lovely paper. Still slagging my mate for dropping to Ordinary Level beforehand - he has better French than me and could have done SO well!

Edit: Also, the aural. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 florencexxx

Lovely paper, we hadn't prepared essays very well in school so our entire class was worried about them but they were pretty handy! As long as my grammar was good I'd say I did fairly well. Comprehensions weren't too bad, aural was lovely! Overall good paper, hopefully I got the A! =/ We'll see on the 13th :P

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

A1 in pass got, well hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Question about the first essay (Q1 a)
    could you have written about somewhere local (w/out names of course) and a personal event?
    It was an event "hereux" right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

For the event in Ireland, would padraig harrington winning th british open ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

4. (i) D’après la quatrième section, pourquoi l’avenue est-elle devenue plus sale récemment ?

So thats the 5TH section ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ino112 wrote: »
    I've a quick question:

For the diary entry, I signed my name. From the name, they'll think I'm a girl so will they penilize me for not putting the 'e' after every passé composé? Also, is that the only thing I'd have had to have changed?

Also, will they dock me marks for all the other questions I answered on the paper because I didn't change them either.
    They will probably take some marks off you, yes. Did you use many verbs with "Etre" in passe compose? Adding the "e" only applies to those verbs.

If you wrote it delibirately from a male prospective, it might be perfect. But if, unfortunately, the examiner thinks you're a female, they'll think you can't properly conjugate and will take marks off.

AFAIK there's nothing else you would have had to change, unless you talked about a group of girls, then you'd have had to add "es".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

Nanaki wrote: »
    Question about the first essay (Q1 a)
    could you have written about somewhere local (w/out names of course) and a personal event?
    It was an event "hereux" right?

I'd say that would probably be fine as long as you focused on the place to a fair extent, that's what the question was looking for primarily I think.
    only1stevo wrote: »
    For the event in Ireland, would padraig harrington winning th british open ok?

hmm... it said "a particular place in Ireland" so I wouldn't be too sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

only1stevo wrote: »
    4. (i) D’après la quatrième section, pourquoi l’avenue est-elle devenue plus sale récemment ?

So thats the 5TH section ye?

nope unfortunately, that wud be "apres" , "d'apres" is the same as "selon" i.e. according to afaik!

i did a double take on that as well in the exam but the thing avout the bins was in the 4th so i went with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Don't know where you go t that from O_o What I understood was he was having a girl over and she was embarrassed and ran out and he ran after her

AHAHHA! nooo. he ran after her, then trapped her against the car. then i think she struggled free and got in and he watched her go before walking back though the open door. or something. he definitely didn't kill her.

I did the importance of silence. Talked about Dublin, the traffic the noise and how its impossible to find a quiet silent place in the town. then i said that i know know what silence is. Ive spent the last year basically surround by silence studying and whatnot. I just bull****ted about how silence is important for "l'esprit humain". I got some sobjoncifs in and a si-clause.

Then i rushed the letter asking for permission. didnt know much of the vocab for decorations so had to work around it. Is a CD player a magnétophone!??

Then i wrote about how we are losing our traditions and not eating ensemble. I wrote that question in like 12 minutes so didn't get time to look over my answers and correct mistakes.

I'm pretty disappointed with my written. I know i made alot of grammatical mistakes but my aural so so good. I'd say i got maybe one question wrong and thats it. maybe an A2 in my oral, a A1 in my aural and a B1/B2 in my written. so hopefully a B1/A2 overall. fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Anyone wanna tell me the answers they got for some of these? the exam papers are here.
    Please tell me if theyre right! thanks

Comprehensions:
    Q1:
    1:
    (a) "c’est un défilé du 14 Juillet."
    (b) "c’est une boutique Louis Vuitton où se
    pressent cinq mille personnes chaque
    jour."
    2:
    (i) "...protéger cette poule aux oeufs d’or,
    avec l’aide des politiques."
    (ii)"les membres du Comité des
    Champs-Élysées ont renouvelé leur
    bureau et élu à sa tête Jean-Noël
    Reinhardt, le président de Virgin."
    3:
    (i) la bête noire.
    (ii) b
    4:
    (i)Il y a des difficultés de nettoyage liées à la suppression des poubelles.
    (ii)Il a réclamé à la Ville un minimum d’investissement dans l’entretien des rues et Il aurait suffi de 100 000 euros
    par an.
    (i) d
    (ii) devienne

Q2
    1:
    (i)Indécise
    (ii)"il restait debout devant elle
    sans faire un geste."
    2:
    (i) "il s’était lancé dans une
    préparation compliquée, trop pour être destinée à lui seul."
    (ii) Il a dit qu'il avait un coup de fil à passer et qu'il l’attendrai
    dans le jardin
    3:

(i)elle voulait apprendre quelque chose sur les goûts de Nicolas
    (ii)
    (a)"...qui donnait sur une grande chambre
    ensoleillée."
    (b) "Des vêtements étaient abandonnés sur des
    journaux froissés."
    4: c
    5:
    (i) brutalement
    (ii) "il était prêt à tout pour la retenir"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I thought it was a grand paper. I did part two of the compulsory question and then the note and the one of voting. I was a little annoyed none of our topics we'd studied really came up but thankfully I had enough French in me to do alright. The tape was grand, the speakers were slow which was nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jobey

I think the whole French written exam is a sham. After studying French for 6 years I used about 10% of what I learned. I really don't think it gives you a good opportunity to show off how your skill in the language.

It was the best aural tape in a long time but did anyone else get really annoyed at the noise of the people in the room? There was 30 people in my room with about 7 doing HL, the rest doing ordinary. As one of the HL people we obviously had different questions to the OL people. Because of this the OL people would all start coughing, sighing and rustling their pages when they got all their answers while the HL people were still trying to listen for the last few answers. I didn't hear about 3 or 4 answers because of this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

it was ok considerin i did nothing 4 de past few years in the subject!!

if i was a GOOD french student it wud have been so easy!!!:p

my teacher predictions wer spot on:rolleyes:...shud have listened:D

all in all think i managed a low C

Advertisement