Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Express Card that will work with 220W PSU

Options
  • 11-06-2008 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi all - I have this Shuttle PC:
    http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-546/169_read-11520/

It currently has an unused PCI Express x16 slot and I was thinking of upgrading from the onboard gfx - the PC is not used for games - media center only.
    I've been messing around trying to get the x360 HD-DVD player working on the PC through Power DVD but I figure the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (GMA900) chipset isn't powerful enough.

My concern is with the external PSU - will 220W be enough to power a new entry level PCI Express GFX Card? If so any recommendations? As I say - just looking for an entry level card.
    The Shuttle system is 2 years old now - maybe I should be looking at older GFX cards that don't consume so much power.

Here is a link to a an old review with some info about this:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article274-page8.html

Many thanks.

Oh and forget to mention - went for this Shuttle PC as it is whisper silent so looking for a quiet GFX Card. Hope someone can gve me some hints. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Shuttle PSU's are very well made, I've seen some high end 8800 cards run on 250w shuttle PSU's. That review itself shows an 6800GT in the system, which was quite a power hungry card - if that works, then an 8600GT class card would work flawlessly. As well as being the cheapest one on Komplett, it is also passively cooled, meaning no noise - but also more heat, which might be a concern in that case. There's an active one here for a few extra euro.

Of course, if all you want to do is watch HD content, then something like this is perfect. Again, passively cooled, but unless you're gaming, either card - 3450 or 8600gt - shouldn't get very hot at all. On that note, if you are gaming, the 8600gt would be 3x faster.

The GMA900 can handle HD content though...once you have a good CPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Everything I wanted to know...and within 10 mins of posting!

Thanks for the advice TerrorFirmer - much appreciated.

Advertisement