Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL/UPC DVR and remote control extender

• 11-06-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Has anybody tried to use a remote control IR extender with the new dvr box I want to put my box in a cabinet but the remote control won't work if it can't see the box, now there are plenty of IR extenders on the market but it turns out that NTL/UPC don't use normal IR remote controls they use something called IRDA remote control and its not so easy to get an extender for one of these, I have come across one that says it works with NTL/UPC but not the latest silver box made by samsung now I can't see any make on the box I have so if any of you guys know what make the box is (see attachment) or if anyone has come across an IR extender that works with this box you might let me know.

Cheers

Les

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Its made by thomson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

ok thanks.
    I just needed to be sure as this IR extender is not cheap and I've already been burnt on the first one I got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have a video sender I use with the DVR. The remote works fine through that... though that may be IrDA.

OK what model is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭abraxas01

My understanding is that UPC do not use IRDA as it's one way communication. I think they they use the Phillips standard protocol: RCMM.

Therefore, suggest you just got an IR repeater to go outside the cabinet. This should receive the IR signal, and then pass signal via cable to the STB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think it was just the old Pace boxes that used IrDA, the newer boxes use standard protocols. You can use the DVR remote to control TV's, DVD players etc. so that would confirm it.

Alun wrote: »
    I think it was just the old Pace boxes that used IrDA, the newer boxes use standard protocols. You can use the DVR remote to control TV's, DVD players etc. so that would confirm it.

I already tried one of these extenders that change IR to RF and it would work on the TV and DVD part of the upc remote but not on the mediabox and when I enquired from the supplier they said that it wouldn't work with NTL dvr or SKY+ because they were IRDA.
    abraxas01 this IR repeater your talking about are they readily available do you have any sites that I could checkout.

afraid not, have a friend who works in the eng dept. in one of the UPC affiliates, and got this from him.

Jeez, I can't believe how difficult this is becoming, you would think that it would be easy enough to find a simple IR extender for this box anyway thanks for your help, if you do happen to talk to your engineering friend you might ask him for me.

Cheers

Les

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

Manual for the Thomson box is here.
    http://www.thomson.net/GlobalEnglish/Products/set-top-boxes/hybrid/6000_series/Pages/default.aspx

From the datasheet
    REMOTE CONTROL PROTOCOLS
    R2000 (Thomson)
    RC-5/6 – RCMM 1.5 (Philips)
    r-STEP (Ruwido)
    NEC (*)
    (*) Can be supported as option

Old PACE digiboxes were IRDA I believe....

Hope this helps......

• Advertisement

Ok I'm almost there,I got an AV digisender at Argos, now I'm only using the remote control extender part of the digisender, I'm not sending any AV and it works, well almost, all the buttons on my UPC remote work except menu and guide all the DVr options work all the text and scroll buttons work but I just can't get the menu and guide buttons to work which obvisouly is a real pain, anyone got any ideas as to why this might be.

Cheers

Les

I know you've to set the remote up to work with the TV type, maybe it's the same for that. I'll ask my friend in the UPC affilitate.

ok thanks , I'll keep messin with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭pete6296

Hi Lee,
    What model of digisender did you get at Argos. I got one for 40 euro but remote will not work?
    Thanks,
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dunneryan

I just got the DVR box today of UPC. its a big ugly MF !!!!!

i also want to put it hiding within a cabinet .....but also noticed that the remote does not work ......

Are there options out there to hide the box and using one of those eye things for the remote to work ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

Anyone figure this out, I recently switched from Sky to UPC and have my media equipment in a small closet next to my TV Room and would really like a Magic Eye for UPC Boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

I have also put my UPC HD+ Cisco box in a hidden AV area ..

I am using the Phillips Ipronto (with a Netx extender box) as my all in one remote ..

I have been able to get the UPC box with most of the functions Channel up down, volume up / down, dvr, radio, menu ..

The big problem for me is that the guide button does not work, which is probably the most important button !

I have tried lots of times, relearning the remote command, but just gave up in the end ..

I would be grateful, if anyone has been able to get Guide working on any other remote sender type gadget, as I will consider changing again ..

Cheers,

Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

Here is some further info about IR extenders.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935490

I can confirm, as i did in the linked thread, that the Slx extender works really well with the UPC boxes. All buttons work etc and have done since May this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jonsmoke

In case this is of use to anybody, I bought an IR extender on Amazon last week and it works perfectly with my upc digital box (the silver Thomson one).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DL50NU

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

tmalmb wrote: »
    Anyone figure this out, I recently switched from Sky to UPC and have my media equipment in a small closet next to my TV Room and would really like a Magic Eye for UPC Boxes

Did anyone find a solution for the large UPC DVR, i've tried a couple and they didn't work, have almost given up now, help please....;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dubmark74 wrote: »
    Did anyone find a solution for the large UPC DVR, i've tried a couple and they didn't work, have almost given up now, help please....;)

This one works perfectly:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerMid-XL-Control-Extender-PM10C/dp/B003H4BVEK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318010685&sr=1-2

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

Freddie59 wrote: »

Thanks for that Fred, have you definitely tried this with the large UPC DVR, looks like an old video recorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dubmark74 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Fred, have you definitely tried this with the large UPC DVR, looks like an old video recorder.

Yep - silver one. And a Cisco HD box. There's a couple of tricks with it. See PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mjmclarke

Think this may be the answer. Picking one up from jervis st. store this week. Will report back to confirm...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/remote-control-ir-repeater-115205

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

mjmclarke wrote: »
    Think this may be the answer. Picking one up from jervis st. store this week. Will report back to confirm...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/remote-control-ir-repeater-115205

Hi, did this work? Just wondering does it plug into the back of the UPC box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mjmclarke

Hi,

Totally forgot to reply, sorry. Yes it did. Works great for both upc box and amp. Both hidden in cupboard. No, it doesn't connect to back, it has mini sensors that you stick on the front of each appliance. There's also a bigger IR receiver which sits on your cabinet top which picks up the signal. This must be visible but only the size of a pc mouse.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement