Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 11-06-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Some quick advice needed!

We are letting out an apartment we have and had some prospective tenants in to view this week. Anyway, one girl says that she will take it. When she was viewing the place she said that she runs her own business.

Now, we are signing contracts and she has just asked us if we will accept a rent allowance check from the Health Board.

So can you be in employment and still get rent allowance? We feel like we are being led up the garden path here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭haveabadday

Hi I think if you are Self Employed, you can still claim Rent Allowance best to look on Welfare Site and get more info there. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

She could be on the Back to Work Enterprise or Back to Work schemes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starky

Some quick advice needed!

We are letting out an apartment we have and had some prospective tenants in to view this week. Anyway, one girl says that she will take it. When she was viewing the place she said that she runs her own business.

Now, we are signing contracts and she has just asked us if we will accept a rent allowance check from the Health Board.

So can you be in employment and still get rent allowance? We feel like we are being led up the garden path here...

You are not being led up the garden path. It is entirely possible that this person could be on one of the various schemes that entitles them to a payment. It will most likely not cover the full cost of the rent but I am sure she can use it as part payment. People get social welfare help for lots of different reasons, even for periods when in full time employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Thanks for the replies and info. I wasn't aware of these schemes. I'll have a chat with her to see if this is the case and what scheme she is on....

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Darith

I might be losing my job soon. However i was thinking of moving house before that. I know one must be six months renting before one can claim rent allowance, however what if i moved house, does the six months start over ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 carriec87

I'd like to know the answer to this one aswell... I am too in the same position... :(

Anyone know the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You should be able to get the rent allowance paid directly to your account, rather than via the tenant.

astrofool wrote: »
    You should be able to get the rent allowance paid directly to your account, rather than via the tenant.

Yep, thought that... But how long do you have to be in a place before they will pay rent allowance? I heard its 6 months... See i'm livin in my place 3 years, but my bf lost his job so we took me off the lease to try and get him rent allowance cause it's hard to manage with just one wage.. Anyhow, they wouldn't help so i got put back on it in May and might find myself without a job soon... Do you think they'll help us out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if your both lose your jobs they will, but if your working then he wont get rent allowance is hes living with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gorjess-girlie

I started renting an apartment in March this year and applied for rent allowance in April and got it no problem. I wasn't aware there was a length of time that you had to be renting. I know of a few other people who moved straight out and recieved rent allowance. Just have a word with your local CWO.

• Advertisement

Thanks peeps... :)

I knew about the whole me living there with him having no job, they'd expect me to pay... But thought we both wouldn't get it now that i was only back on the lease a few months...

So glad to hear we will! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

carriec87 wrote: »
    Thanks peeps... :)

I knew about the whole me living there with him having no job, they'd expect me to pay... But thought we both wouldn't get it now that i was only back on the lease a few months...

So glad to hear we will! :D
    if one person is working and you live together as a couple they wont give it to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

we took me off the lease to try and get him rent allowance cause it's hard to manage with just one wage..

Are you aware that you were attempting to commit social welfare fraud?

eth0_ wrote: »
    Are you aware that you were attempting to commit social welfare fraud?

If you were in the same position, wouldn't you?
    In this day and age, this is really the only way of getting what you are entitled to... He is more than entitled to it, like everyone else in this position. There's people in this country who aren't even legal but are claiming all our benefits, is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No it's not, and they should go to jail for it (fraud). All you are doing is lumping the OP in with criminals (and rightfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you were in the same position, wouldn't you?
    In this day and age, this is really the only way of getting what you are entitled to... He is more than entitled to it, like everyone else in this position. There's people in this country who aren't even legal but are claiming all our benefits, is this right?

I'm entitled to have lots of money - doesn't mean i'm going to rob a bank, does it?

Advertisement