Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have any of ye had a dress made before?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have this CLASS dress that I absolutely love but I've worn it out a good bit now, just ask clarebear! :) You know one of those dresses that you just always feel great in ? :)I love the shape of it as I find it hard to get dresses to fit me properly around the chest and this ones perfect. I really want to get it made in a different colour, but the same shape, have any of you ever got this done? Just wondering how much it would roughly cost....

If any of ye have any info that'd be great :) Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Fab dress I agree! Where did you get it G86? Could you find if the makers of it have a website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Depends on the dress and who you go to.
    They would have to diss essemble the dress and make a pattern out of it which can be damn tricky and most likely they will charge extra for that.

You best bet is to go into hickeys or look online for a pattern that is the same or as close of an aproximation as possbile to the dress you have. Simplicty have a huge range.

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/simplicity-patterns.html

You are better off takeing the time to get the material you need and matching thread/zip/button yourself that way you won't get ripped of for the materials,
    what you need is usually on the back of the pattern.

If the dress had boning it is more difficult and you may get charged more.

I don't know what the current going rates are atm, as I don't do such work myself and
    my mam hasn't done any in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

SEE how you knew the one I was talking about!!! :)

Got it in Dorothy Perkins, but like I'm thinking just bring it in to a dress maker....

Love to get it in green...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Depends on the dress and who you go to.
    They would have to diss essemble the dress and make a pattern out of it which can be damn tricky and most likely they will charge extra for that.

You best bet is to go into hickeys or look online for a pattern that is the same or as close of an aproximation as possbile to the dress you have. Simplicty have a huge range.

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/simplicity-patterns.html

You are better off takeing the time to get the material you need and matching thread/zip/button yourself that way you won't get ripped of for the materials,
    what you need is usually on the back of the pattern.

If the dress had boning it is more difficult and you may get charged more.

I don't know what the current going rates are atm, as I don't do such work myself and
    my mam hasn't done any in a while.

Really? Crap I don't want them to take my dress apart!!! I still wear it!

Its just a simple dress, V neck and empire line, no boning or anything. No buttons, no zips....

I thought they could just copy it by looking at it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is possible to try and cut a paper pattern of the garment but it can cause errors.

I know my Mam has disassembled dresses to take a pattern and then sewed it up again after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

As Thaed said have a look through patterns, I wouldnt be too keen on having my favourite dress torn apart. Hickeys will have a list of dress makers, you can always ring them for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

G86,

I got my dress made for my debs 4 years ago. I'd suggest making an appointment with a dressmaker and see what they can do for you. My dressmaker had a load of patterns and she was able to show me what would suit and she even modified the pattern slightly (from a sleeveless top to off the shoulder). Perhaps if you go for a consultation with the dressmaker and bring the dress, she'd be able to find a pattern that matches, and then modify it as needed.

In regards to the cost, I bought my material in China for approx €40 and I still have a ton of it left. Have never bought material here so don't know how much it costs - sorry! The dress cost €120 to make as the dressmaker is a friend of my Godparents and they paid for it for my Debs/End of LC present.

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

That's such a great idea. My cousin finds it hard to get clothes to fit her well, she's very thin and about average height, so when she finds something that fits she gets it made in loads of colours! Her dressmaker is in Navan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jdjola

Hey there, just want to let u know, im specializing in this area. I am proffesional designer and dressmaker, recently graduated from NCAD, if u'd like to discuss it in more detail, drop me a line here.

Advertisement