Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static Ip, NAT, Port forwarding, 2 routers ?!?!

Options
  • 11-06-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi all, any help here would be great.

i'm trying to use utorrent with a new Vista SP1 machine. I've set up a static Ip address and opened up a pinhole in my D-link DI 524 router, but here's my problem:

My Eircom DSL comes into the house via normal phone cable (purple) and goes into a Cayman Netopia 3346 (i 'm pretty sure this is the model but not 100%). I then have a LAN cable coming from that and into the WAN input at the back of the D-Link. I have a LAN cable coming from one of the LAN ports on the D-Link to my ethernet on my MOBO. There is no input for the DSL line into the D-Link.

My question is: Do I have to set a pinhole up in the Netopia too? And do i have to have it as the same static Ip address?

I also have a wifi enabled laptop which i don't use for downloading but do use for surfing etc. Both computers are online and have the ability to talk to eachother (networked).

Sorry if the thread is a bit confusing, I'm a little confused typing it....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

OK it looks like i got it working......
    There was a firewall on the netopoia router which i disabled. Also had to set up a NAT pinhole on it. Also had to uncheck Enable Upnp port mapping in utorrent (should have done this step at the beginning but forgot.)

rafter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Good good, normally when I configure a dsl router and a firewall of any type, I set the DSL modem to passthrough mode and configure the firewall in PPOE mode, it means you only deal with one set of rules etc\ makes it easier to troubleshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

thanks man, will keep that in mind next time...

Advertisement