Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Cashel to Cullahill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

In all fairness though, the existing N8 past Horse and Jockey is pretty bullet straight too. I'd have been surprised if there was much need for significant curvature on that stretch. Nice to know they did a good job though, especially given their finishing ahead of schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Okay, I uploaded that M8 clip. I'm warning you now, it's pretty low quality. I did include annotations however and you should be able to make out a few things:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mwvntcwrzqa

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just for anyone that's interested...the difference between the two fonts attached above is that the correct one is Motorway Permanant and the other one is Transport Medium. I have long believed that the use of Motorway be abolished in this country with only Transport being used in its place. By the way, the Western Parkway (M50) has had incorrect Transport signage in place since it opened in the same place-the start of regulations sign.

murphaph wrote: »
    Just for anyone that's interested...the difference between the two fonts attached above is that the correct one is Motorway Permanant and the other one is Transport Medium. I have long believed that the use of Motorway be abolished in this country with only Transport being used in its place. By the way, the Western Parkway (M50) has had incorrect Transport signage in place since it opened in the same place-the start of regulations sign.

The funny thing is, all the ADS signs have the correct font for "M8". I don't see how Rennicks managed to make such an elementary error. I mean, it's not that important, but still, it looks a bit strange.

And yes, parts of the M50 still use the standard transport font for their "start of regulations" sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Rennicks will make whatever is specified. They should spot the error and query it (and I bet they do in their UK subsidiary where decent signmakers are the norm and they will query an obvious breach of the rules) but sure they are happy to make rubbish, get paid and then make it properly and get paid again. This sort of stuff is why this country is now flat broke.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Rennicks will make whatever is specified. They should spot the error and query it (and I bet they do in their UK subsidiary where decent signmakers are the norm and they will query an obvious breach of the rules) but sure they are happy to make rubbish, get paid and then make it properly and get paid again. This sort of stuff is why this country is now flat broke.

The M8 signs look like crap, but I'm not about to suggest they should replace them just because a simple typeface error.

Many of our signs look like crap for example any sign with the ugly stretched Port Laoise on it.

Most of our signs aren't future-proofed either (and I suspect somewhat deliberately). Remember the horrible one-panel per lane gantries that used to be on the N7. Well they were replaced as you know... but of course, instead of saying "N7 (M7, M8, M9)" it says "N7 (N8, N9)". Stupid error that will ultimately have to be fixed (unless they can't be bothered to). And what makes it even more insulting is the fact that a few miles down the line when the road becomes M7, the gantries get it right (they have "M7 (M8, M9)". The M7 signage is also woefully inconsistent, but that's a matter for another day.

I will say this though. The vast majority of the M8 Cullahill signage is of high-quality and is appropiate for the road. Apart from the terminal patching (I know it's legal, they do it England as well) which I just think looks ugly, and the aforementioned weird M8 signs, the signage on the stretch is consistent, high-quality and clearly visible. In the context of the mistakes that could have been made, this is an incredibly small error - one that should not have occured, mind you, but a small one none-the-less that does not ruin the great experience of driving this road.

I'm going to e-mail the NRA about the signs. I'm not going to make a huge issue about it, but I'm going to ask why such sloppiness is deemed acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'm afraid 2009 is not going to be a particularly massive year for road-openings. Well will be getting the Waterford City Bypass (somewhat marred by its non-motorway status), the Mitchelstown-Fermoy scheme (possibly the best section to open next year), the Nenagh-Limerick (although that's already behind schedule and could easily find its way into 2010), Ballinasloe-Athlone (not really that significant, it doesn't bypass Ballinasloe - it merely extends the M6 past Athlone). The M9 Waterford-Knocktopher will also most likely open.

Your wrong on a few thing's. Blunt I have to remind you, you jump the gun on facts alot.

The Balinasloe bypass will be included in that stretch of the M6 Ballinasloe Galway motorway. The last exit ties into the east side of the N6.

Also your again wrong on the Nenagh Limerick section. The road is well advancing up till the present. I know people who work on it, They have been letting people go. But the contractor say's it will finish on the deadline date of summer 2009. I highly doubt fianna fail will let the deadline date slip, as with all the current schemes seeming to get much praise with the early openings such as the M8. The goal is to open schemes early rather than late or ontime, fianna fail are really jumpin on this bandwagon. It will undoubtely finish on time, if not early even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

There was a concrete pour going on last friday afternoon at the overpass at cullahill. Itd just a pity that SRB didnt get that section as well. I've a feeling that a substantial portion of the M3 will be open before the end of 2009 if not all of it. I think the limerick nenagh section of the M7 will be held up if what I'm hearing is correct. Hopefully i'll be wrong though.

2010 will be a great year for roads. 2011 though will be a barren year with no schemes likely to start next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

mysterious wrote: »
    Your wrong on a few thing's. Blunt I have to remind you, you jump the gun on facts alot.

The Balinasloe bypass will be included in that stretch of the M6 Ballinasloe Galway motorway. The last exit ties into the east side of the N6.

Also your again wrong on the Nenagh Limerick section. The road is well advancing up till the present. I know people who work on it, They have been letting people go. But the contractor say's it will finish on the deadline date of summer 2009. I highly doubt fianna fail will let the deadline date slip, as with all the current schemes seeming to get much praise with the early openings such as the M8. The goal is to open schemes early rather than late or ontime, fianna fail are really jumpin on this bandwagon. It will undoubtely finish on time, if not early even.

2010 is the projected completion date for limerick nenagh on the scheme signs iirc. 2009 may be the contractors programmed completion date. Time will tell on that project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Blunder wrote: »
    I've a feeling that a substantial portion of the M3 will be open before the end of 2009 if not all of it.

I think you're right. I had a great view of it in October flying into Dublin Airport.

The progress they've made is remarkable and it definitely looks likely to open sometime in 2009.

I think you're right. I had a great view of it in October flying into Dublin Airport.

The progress they've made is remarkable and it definitely looks likely to open sometime in 2009.

Possibly.

Just one question. Is the M3 wide-median or narrow median?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

jus used the road now (only the bit form cullahill to urlingford but still, its a bit) and its perfect. Its an absolute pleasure to drive. the cats eyes are brilliant, its like a runway at night. The central barrier lights up as your going along, pretty cool really.

I noticed a few things.

Did they use a different shade of blue on the M-Way signs? Maybe i'm wrong but it seemed like it was more a more greeny blue (best way i can describe it). It could have just been cos it was dark tho either.

When i came off at urlingford i noticed that the sign pointing towards the M8 says toll: Dublin M8. Only reason i mention that is because they are acutally futureproffing the road. That has to be a first!!!

anyway all in all a brilliant stretch of road. Well done sisks/roadbridge for an exempliary job!! Well done

Now if only the same could be said for cullahill - castletown - port.......:mad:

dannym08 wrote: »
    jus used the road now (only the bit form cullahill to urlingford but still, its a bit) and its perfect. Its an absolute pleasure to drive. the cats eyes are brilliant, its like a runway at night. The central barrier lights up as your going along, pretty cool really.

I noticed a few things.

Did they use a different shade of blue on the M-Way signs? Maybe i'm wrong but it seemed like it was more a more greeny blue (best way i can describe it). It could have just been cos it was dark tho either.

When i came off at urlingford i noticed that the sign pointing towards the M8 says toll: Dublin M8. Only reason i mention that is because they are acutally futureproffing the road. That has to be a first!!!

anyway all in all a brilliant stretch of road. Well done sisks/roadbridge for an exempliary job!! Well done

Now if only the same could be said for cullahill - castletown - port.......:mad:

Glad you liked the road! :D

However this line reveals something very omininous about the future:
    When i came off at urlingford i noticed that the sign pointing towards the M8 says toll: Dublin M8. Only reason i mention that is because they are acutally futureproofing the road. That has to be a first!!!

Enjoy using the stretch between Cullahill and Urlingford for free while you still can, because when the Cullahill terminus dissappears guess what you'll be funnelled straight into...

Glad you liked the road! :D

However this line reveals something very omininous about the future:

Enjoy using the stretch between Cullahill and Urlingford for free while you still can, because when the Cullahill terminus dissappears guess what you'll be funnelled straight into...

i have the next two years. And to be honest it'll be worth the €2 or whatever it will be to avoid abbeyleix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dannym08 wrote: »
    i have the next two years. And to be honest it'll be worth the €2 or whatever it will be to avoid abbeyleix
    +1

I would gladly pay €5 to avoid it.

It is one messed up town. Who in Gods name designed the parking set up? :mad:

Bond-007 wrote: »
    +1

whoever it was shud be executed for crimes against humanity. Driving tru dat town is a form of torture.

This town should have been one of the first to be bypassed. Urlingford was bad but no where near as bad as this place. It makes no sense for it to be the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Ssssh, don't let them hear you say that.

+1

Is it that bad lads? Thankfully I rarely venture up past Urlingford. How long could you give stuck in Abbeyleix?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

listening to the radio, last week 30 mins at peak hour both ways in the evening

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    Is it that bad lads? Thankfully I rarely venture up past Urlingford. How long could you give stuck in Abbeyleix?

on friday at rush hour i have spent nearly an hour in traffic. It can get backed up 7 or 8km on the dub side sometime. Not usually as bad on cork side but can be. The traffic lights in the centre of town are terrible. They dont give the N8 enough time.

On thurs and fri there is usually a guard on duty during rush hour to get things moving but it only works if sed guard knows what they are doing. Not always the case.

basically it is absolutley terrible. AA dont even bother reporting on it anymore as people just take for granted that it will be chocker.....

€5 does seem a bit extreme tho!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Great stuff.

I won't be driving at rush hour to Dublin in a few weeks time so I should make great time.

Its a pity though that the Abbeyleix section wasn't done first. THis was the one that needed to be done, with the town and considering it is harder to overtake on this section than the Cashel-Culahill section which is arrow straight for long sections.

The lights in Abbeyleix have been reset and now give 3 to 4 mins per cycle to the N8. It makes waiting to cross the N8 a pain at times particularly in off peak times when the N8 is quiet.

Well, it seems we have more people from that neck of the woods on here than I thought.

Please please please update this ---> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055344405 <--- regularly with any news/rumours/info/pictures of the M8 Abbeyleix bypass.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Furet wrote: »
    Well, it seems we have more people from that neck of the woods on here than I thought.

sorry not from there.

Jus hav the pleasure of going through it 10 times a week

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Abbeyleix is actually, chronic traffic jams aside, a rather picturesque little town - it has a very pleasant main street. The horrendous traffic makes it unpopular. I'm sure the residents will be as glad to see the through traffic gone as everyone else.

Urlingford is already now history for Dublin to Cork travellers and thank God for that. It was a dreadful kip of a place.

But Abbeyliex merited a modest bypass about 15 years ago or so. There should have been one built back then, M8 or no M8 motorway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The next couple of years (2009/2010) will be landmark years when our motorway network finally gets fully connected up.

But to give an indication of how much catching up we in Ireland had to do, the UK was in a similar position, when it completed its critical connecting sections to form its first phase of seamless motorway network, way back in 1971/72 - when the central section of the M4, the Midlands section of the M6 with Spaghetti junction and the M62 over the Pennines all opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The next couple of years (2009/2010) will be landmark years when our motorway network finally gets fully connected up.

But to give an indication of how much catching up we in Ireland had to do, the UK was in a similar position, when it completed its critical connecting sections to form its first phase of seamless motorway network, way back in 1971/72 - when the central section of the M4, the Midlands section of the M6 with Spaghetti junction and the M62 over the Pennines all opened.
    I'm having serious doubts whether the M20 (Cork-Limerick) will ever go ahead which is sad because many people are killed every year on the effectively R-road sections that lie between Mallow & Charleville, and between Charleville and Croom. There's been several very bad crashes at Banogue, Bruff cross, at a stretch between Bruff cross & Charleville and at several spots between Charleville & Buttevant.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Abbeyleix is actually, chronic traffic jams aside, a rather picturesque little town - it has a very pleasant main street. The horrendous traffic makes it unpopular. I'm sure the residents will be as glad to see the through traffic gone as everyone else.
    It is the locals inability to park properly that is the real problem. When a local attempts to reverse out onto the main street, it sends a ripple up the N8. Multiply that by a few hundred and theres your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Glad to hear the new section of the M8 has been well built and wins everyone's approval.
    2010 is where all the big-hitters start to finally arrive.

.........The M6 will have a massive section opening.......

They seem to be making rapid progress on to M6 Galway-Ballinasloe section around Doughiska and Athenry. Haven't really seen much of it towards the Ballinasloe end but if they've made as much progress there as they have near Galway City then it should definitely be open early. If I had to guess I would say the last quarter of 2009.

Not promising anything but I'll try and get a couple of photos of the progress they've made at the weekend and put them in one of the M6 threads.

Advertisement