Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Cashel to Cullahill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

KerranJast wrote: »
    I'm having serious doubts whether the M20 (Cork-Limerick) will ever go ahead which is sad because many people are killed every year on the effectively R-road sections that lie between Mallow & Charleville, and between Charleville and Croom. There's been several very bad crashes at Banogue, Bruff cross, at a stretch between Bruff cross & Charleville and at several spots between Charleville & Buttevant.

I agree completely. Given the state of the country's finances I can't see the road being upgraded anytime soon. Those stretches of road are a national embarrassment as well as being highly dangerous. I was bringing a first time visitor to Ireland from Shannon to Cork a couple of years ago and he could not believe the road linked two major cities.

I had to drive to Limerick from Cork on two mornings a couple of weeks ago. The distance of 70 miles took me two hours on each occasion - a combination of being caught behind slow moving vehicles between Mallow and Croom and chronic rush hour traffic on Limerick's Dock Road. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why did they decide to make J5 restricted access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Carrigman wrote: »
    I agree completely. Given the state of the country's finances I can't see the road being upgraded anytime soon. Those stretches of road are a national embarrassment as well as being highly dangerous. I was bringing a first time visitor to Ireland from Shannon to Cork a couple of years ago and he could not believe the road linked two major cities.

I had to drive to Limerick from Cork on two mornings a couple of weeks ago. The distance of 70 miles took me two hours on each occasion - a combination of being caught behind slow moving vehicles between Mallow and Croom and chronic rush hour traffic on Limerick's Dock Road. Ridiculous.

Good thread on this already. Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055061595

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, the N20 is a disgrace - the section between Mallow and Cork city is pretty good, but around Buttevant it's like a twisty boreen and is very dangerous. The sooner it is replaced by motorway, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Bond-007 wrote: »

I don't know. I was surprised, as I'd assumed there was full access right up until I drove past it yesterday.

Let's say that Thurles is the primary destination of anyone entering junction 6 and/or junction 5.

Anyone travelling from Cashel or further south would definitely take junction 6 at Horse and Jockey and proceed via the N62 to Thurles (or to Holycross).

Similarly, anyone coming from Urlingford or further north would definitely take exit 5 for Thurles and get there via the N75 (which is only 10 km long).

I guess it's presumed that all Dublin-bound traffic from Thurles enter at junction 6 for some reason (why I'm not sure; perhaps the bulk of Thurles's population live at that side of the town?).

Two-Mile Borris inhabitants are also a little inconvenienced by this (though there's only 500 of them): if travelling north from Cork, they have to exit the notorway at junction 6 and continue home via the R639, which is a smashing road, now that it's empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Now that is a good question, and one I don't have the exact answer to.

I can tell you why other junctions have access restrictions though:

J1 - Leads directly into the M7, but only eastbound. :mad:

J2 - Local access. Only allows northbound entry and southbound exit (i.e you will either be forced into the toll, or will have already paid it).

J5 - The rationale is probably that Thurles can be easily accessed from junction 6.

J8 - Simply no need for a junction - J7 and J9 suffice as they are such close proximity.

J16 - Local access again. This allows southbound entry and northbound exit (i.e you will be funnelled into the toll or will have already paid it). I suppose if they wanted to make this junction fuller access they could build a northbound entry slip and southbound exit and shove toll gantries onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

So anybody going to update Open street map?

Furet wrote: »
    I don't know. I was surprised, as I'd assumed there was full access right up until I drove past it yesterday.

Let's say that Thurles is the primary destination of anyone entering junction 6 and/or junction 5.

Anyone travelling from Cashel or further south would definitely take junction 6 at Horse and Jockey and proceed via the N62 to Thurles (or to Holycross).

Similarly, anyone coming from Urlingford or further north would definitely take exit 5 for Thurles and get there via the N75 (which is only 10 km long).

I guess it's presumed that all Dublin-bound traffic from Thurles enter at junction 6 for some reason (why I'm not sure; perhaps the bulk of Thurles's population live at that side of the town?).

Two-Mile Borris inhabitants are also a little inconvenienced by this (though there's only 500 of them): if travelling north from Cork, they have to exit the notorway at junction 6 and continue home via the R639, which is a smashing road, now that it's empty.
    The main issue as I see it is that if a driver going to Thurles from Cork misses J6 he will have to travel all the way to Urlingford to turn back.

The main issue as I see it is that if a driver going to Thurles from Cork misses J6 he will have to travel all the way to Urlingford to turn back.

In fairness it is well signposted so there is little chance of missing the exit, but I do understand what you mean, it is quite a distance between junctions 6 and 4.

So anybody going to update Open street map?

I haven't a clue how to do that... :D

But I'm hoping the people that did it last time will be nice enough to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I haven't a clue how to do that... :D

But I'm hoping the people that did it last time will be nice enough to do it again.

It has been done. Kudos to whomever did this, very nice job.

Will try to do my bit with local roads in my area but I don't have a gps so I have to work from satellite images.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Will have the pleasure of driving this road on friday. Missed out on sunday night as I was hoping like all that it would be open.

Have been excited as everyone else as I hate that stretch in particular, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread already.

I have a camcorder and will video this stretch. Unfortunately all my driving is done at night so it'll be night shots. If it's of any use to anyone, probably not.

:D

FIRE wrote: »
    I have a camcorder and will video this stretch. Unfortunately all my driving is done at night so it'll be night shots. If it's of any use to anyone, probably not.

:D

No, it'll be great to have a video of the finest stretch of narrow-median motorway in the country. :cool:

Also - and I know Furet has already mentioned this recently - I must once again say that there is no better place to get information on the M8 motorway than the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M8_motorway_(Ireland)

It is first-hand information from us, so you know you can trust it. I would also hope that you find the layout we selected to be clear, fresh and easy-to-read. Revisions are made almost daily as new information is added so you can be sure that it's up-to-date.

The M6, M7 and M9 all have similar articles that are well looked after by us.

On a somewhat related vein, I would like to say that I am seriously considering starting a website dedicated to Irish roads to provide this information. Wikipedia is fantastic, but I would love to provide all the information in one dedicated place.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

No, it'll be great to have a video of the finest stretch of narrow-median motorway in the country. :cool:

Also - and I know Furet has already mentioned this recently - I must once again say that there is no better place to get information on the M8 motorway than the wikipedia page:

It is first-hand information from us, so you know you can trust it. I would also hope that you find the layout we selected to be clear, fresh and easy-to-read. Revisions are made almost daily as new information is added so you can be sure that it's up-to-date.

On a somewhat related vein, I would like to say that I am seriously considering starting a website dedicated to Irish roads to provide this information. Wikipedia is fantastic, but I would love to provide all the information in one dedicated place.

Thanks Bluntguy.....

I have been in and out of this thread for ages and checked all the revelant info, wiki site etc, and great work done by all. Just havent posted a lot as I dont have much info about the road, I travel it 3 weekends a month friday and sunday, and thats all I can contribute.

The rest of you have a lot more info on it :D

If I get a chance to drive up or down it in daylight over christmas I'll post a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,795 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A site akin to Wesley Johnston's one for NI would be a great resouce, someone (Zoney off here I think?) has attempted in the past but its currently unmaintained...

MYOB wrote: »
    A site akin to Wesley Johnston's one for NI would be a great resouce, someone (Zoney off here I think?) has attempted in the past but its currently unmaintained...

Indeed.

Well, I've already checked what domains are available and how much they cost. The one I'm thinking of going for is www.irishmotorways.com - I can register that for a very reasonable price.

I would try to maintain it regularly and upload as many shots of different motorways and major road schemes as possible. I'd also, most definately, include motorway and national route schemeta and possibly even a forum.

Don't expect anything too soon because it's still only an idea, but one that I am giving serious thought to.

The path of least resistance to get one going would be to run it on MediaWiki actually - I've adminned an intranet site that used it due to its very rapid editing ability and fairly simplistic markup. I think you and most of the others interested in editing it are or were wikipedia editors - so it'd give you an known system, and let you have collaborative editing - but only from people you want (very easy to lock a MW site to passworded accounts you create only).

Are you sure the link is correct? This is what I get when I click on it:

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for M8 motorway (Ireland in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

* Start the M8 motorway (Ireland article or add a request for it.
    * Search for "M8 motorway (Ireland" in existing articles.
    * Look for pages within Wikipedia that link to this title.

Add a ) at the end, its very hard to link to Wikipedia articles with a closing ) on b.ie for some reason.

To answer my own question, this is the correct link:

There is an underscore between M8 and motorway and between motorway and (Ireland).

• Advertisement

Carrigman wrote: »
    To answer my own question, this is the correct link:

There is an underscore between M8 and motorway and between motorway and (Ireland).

No, you made the same mistake I did...

Here is the exact link:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/ updated! (not by me)

EDIT: the basic blue line is there anyway, but not much in close up detail. Old N8 isn't downgraded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

D.L.R. wrote: »
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/ updated! (not by me)

EDIT: the basic blue line is there anyway, but not much in close up detail. Old N8 isn't downgraded...

Yeah, bit of work to be done on that yet - no junctions and the blue continues onto the N8 incorrectly at Cullahill. But its probably just a first cut by someone.

Steviemak wrote: »
    Yeah, bit of work to be done on that yet - no junctions and the blue continues onto the N8 incorrectly at Cullahill. But its probably just a first cut by someone.

I imagine so as only the northbound carriageway is actually shown. But it is nice, none-the-less, to have the scheme mapped in some shape or form.

I'm sure the corrections will come over the coming weeks.

And doesn't the map look so much nicer with that bit of blue! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Who maintains Google Maps???

I drove the M8 from Cullohill to Urlingford this evening... class job.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Danno wrote: »
    Who maintains Google Maps???

I dont know but if you find out tell them that Waterford is not in Kilkenny. :rolleyes:

It is all part of the plan for Kilkenny to invade Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Zuisse

The temporary exit is dodgy though: for a start, the "motorway ahead" signs are practically on the slip-road which is useless. Second, it IS too narrow, and there is great potential for bottlenecks. Third, it isn't that well-lit.
    I can't imagine that any "Wide Loads" will be able to make it on/off the motorway at the temporary Cullahill exit. I was driving past this morning and noticed that three of those poles they inset into the cats eyes to partition the traffic were knocked over, which is worrying. There's definitely going to be an accident here at some stage.
    On a positive note, the traffic calming speed limit signs northbound at this junction are very good - the speed limit progressively decreases from 120km/h to 100km/h, 80km/h, 60km/h and 50km/h.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

urlingford is like a ghost town. Its absolutley empty. I'm nearly starting to wish the motorway closed again, it doesnt feel right......NEARLY

• Advertisement

Are they going to reduce the speedlimit on the R639 (the old N8) to 80km/h?

Advertisement