Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Cashel to Cullahill

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

UPDATE:

was going past the section from urlingford to the cullahill roundabout section of it today....

road markings are on both of the roads leading away from the N8 in urlingford (the one to KK and the one to the M8).

i can confirm that i deffinitley saw SOS motorway phones...

signage is up on all the route except for a few signs close the terminus near cullahill and i think there is overhead signs for each exit...

at the roundabout near cullahill, there is roadmarkings on the ground and signs are up...they were also leveling out the 3m or so of road between the roundabout and the existing N8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

dannym08 wrote: »
    UPDATE:

was going past the section from urlingford to the cullahill roundabout section of it today....

road markings are on both of the roads leading away from the N8 in urlingford (the one to KK and the one to the M8).

One thing, have they taken down the old "N8" signage on the soon-to-be R639 yet? Because they have a habit of not bothering to do that. Even if they just shoved a few "(M8)" patches on the local road I'd be grateful.
    i can confirm that i deffinitley saw SOS motorway phones...

Good. But I imagine they'll only be from Cullahill-Urlingford. Urlingford - Carrigine will be done in time according to Furet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

BluntGuy wrote: »
    One thing, have they taken down the old "N8" signage on the soon-to-be R639 yet? Because they have a habit of not bothering to do that.

The old N8 around Cahir still has "N8" signposts on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I imagine changing the signs on the old road isnt part of the contract for the new raod....NRA/CC 's job possibly....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are N7 signs on roads in Naas bypassed in 1983!

edit: And N9 ones too come to think of it, on the Kilcullen Road, from '93.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Not one single N18 sign was taken down in Ennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Almost all the N8 signs were removed in Tipperary between Cashel, New Inn and Cahir when the first section of the Cashel to Mitchelstown scheme opened in late 2007. Since then, however, none have been taken down. At all.

With regard to the roundabout outside Cullahill, freak that I am, I'm dying to know how they've marked the road. (I guess we're kind of like those weird trainspotting folk, only we watch them build and plan roads :o)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

One thing, have they taken down the old "N8" signage on the soon-to-be R639 yet? Because they have a habit of not bothering to do that. Even if they just shoved a few "(M8)" patches on the local road I'd be grateful.

havent taken them down yet....and prob wont any time soon....they'll prob get replaced as time goes on and signs are being renewed...

Furet wrote: »
    With regard to the roundabout outside Cullahill, freak that I am, I'm dying to know how they've marked the road. (I guess we're kind of like those weird trainspotting folk, only we watch them build and plan roads :o)

I resent that accusation, I don't have an anorak...

Its far too cold and uncovered for an anorak near roads, those damn trainspotters have the shelter of the stations :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

MYOB wrote: »
    There are N7 signs on roads in Naas bypassed in 1983!

For a good few years after the M7 opened, those roads still were designated N7. The principle of detrunking bypassed national roads came later.

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote: »
    For a good few years after the M7 opened, those roads still were designated N7. The principle of detrunking bypassed national roads came later.

Any idea when? I know the N4 through Maynooth was detrunked well over a decade ago (and all signs replaced with R148). At that, they're generally very remiss here with signage, much of the M4 signage still has Castlebar as one of the three destinations!

Almost all the N8 signs were removed in Tipperary between Cashel, New Inn and Cahir when the first section of the Cashel to Mitchelstown scheme opened in late 2007. Since then, however, none have been taken down. At all.

Nope. As usual, the "ah sure, they'll know where they're going"-attitude when it comes to signage is being clearly demonstrated.

And as for the "N8" signs outside Cahir, well in this case it's even worse, as the old N8 is not only the R639, but it becomes the N24 for a short stretch. However, the signage conflicts itself several times as you drive on that stretch making it a confusing mess.

And speaking of the N24 near there, yuck, dreadful 2+1, through a greenfield site, the waste of it sickens me. But that's for another day...

For more "N8" bad labelling madness, if you're driving on the M50, check out the gantries which have "N7-N8-N9" marked on them. Short-sightedness if I ever saw it. It should say "N7(M7)-M8-M9". At least the new M7 gantries get it right (they have "M8-M9").

Honestly, what do we even have a TSM for? (Well the revised one is three weeks late at this stage).

For more "N8" bad labelling madness, if you're driving on the M50, check out the gantries which have "N7-N8-N9" marked on them. Short-sightedness if I ever saw it. It should say "N7(M7)-M8-M9". At least the new M7 gantries get it right (they have "M8-M9").

And what's the betting these will never be corrected? (At least not for the forseeable future, anyway...)

BTW - I see great potential for an N24 thread here based on your comments above ;)

BTW - I see great potential for an N24 thread here based on your comments above ;)

Hehe... don't get me started. There is so much I hate about that road.

I won't go into too much detail for fear of putting this off-topic, but it's a windy, twisty horrible mess. Carrick-On-Suir is horrible, as is Tipp-town. And as for the "improved" sections...

The Clonmel bypass, about 370 roundabouts and has more or less just becoming a dumping ground for retail parks (like the Waterford bypass will become unless motorway restrictions are put on it this minute, ya hear me NRA? :D). The Piltown/Fiddown scheme, which is the mother-of-all-evil when it comes to road schemes... 2+1... with its horrible wire barrier designed to tear people to shreds upon impact, and "flick" light repeatedly into your face when driving in the dark... the intention I presume is to cause cars to veer off the road and free-up the flow of traffic in "one" sections.

But the bottom-of-the-barrel, is the N24 greenfield 2+1 that was built as part of the M8 Cashel-Mitchelstown scheme... it's a disgusting piece of road both in terms of appearance, the way it convolutes the N24 route making it EASIER to go through Cahir ironically, and the fact that it should've been 2+2 or WS2. Luckily the NRA learned its lesson about 2+1s, but it was too late to save this scheme. It could've been the first 2+2 on the N24 route and set the trend for further similar improvements in the future. Instead, it just added to the mish-mash of hopeless road design that is the N24.

And that is my view on the N24. Something which has nothing to do with Cullahill-Cashel, but I just had to get it out here.

Oh... and btw, just to tie this nicely back into the N8 thread. If you've driven on the N24, you'll notice that all the signs still read "(N8)"... *sigh*... how hard can shoving a patch on be? They did for the Fermoy bypass...

dannym08 wrote: »
    havent taken them down yet....and prob wont any time soon....they'll prob get replaced as time goes on and signs are being renewed...

Or as people crash into them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

One thing, have they taken down the old "N8" signage on the soon-to-be R639 yet? Because they have a habit of not bothering to do that.
    Indeed, if you take the left in Fairview and head out to the airport via Artane, they are several signs for the N1, even though if you follow them they bring you to the M1.
    Its just an Irish thing that we must get used to:rolleyes:

Ok. These are the final pictures I'll be taking of the scheme. They show the final 500m of the stretch to the roundabout just south of Cullahill.

Just two more. Note the contrast in surface quality in the last photo: a fair amount of the motorway surface is like the asphalt on the left (the asphalt on the right is on the sliproad), especially for the last few hundred meters. I mention it only because of an excellent post made by an engineer over on the infrastructure forum - and, because while I was walking on the motorway today, the surface seemed a little too wet. I'm thinking black ice here.

Great pictures Furet. Just a few questions about the route if you could:

> Phones? Were they there? I just need as much proof as I can get, that my orange boxes haven't been forgotten! (I know, it's pathetic) :D

> 1st picture - yuck. Motorway patching. I know it's allowed, but still...
    Also, that sign should be illuminated since it's very important. I hope more lights will be provided at the terminus.

> 2nd picture - should there not be an "M8" on that somewhere. It's only a minor thing.

> 3rd picture - I presume they'll have some sort of deflector there to stop traffic smashing into the median. And there will most likely be extra signage I'd presume as well so as to direct traffic to the correct carriageway.

> 4th picture - again, same as above. I just hope extra signs are put up because I fear that could be an accident zone.

> 5th picture - what do the signs say? Particularly the "diamond" sign at the end of the slip-road.

> 6th picture - umm... just to make a comment, er... it looks quite... nice. :D

> 7th picture - that is quite poor tbh... I still hope it's nice to drive (and yes, I will be driving it December 8th!)

One thing, everything seems pretty much done. Why can't they open it, say, in a week's time for example.

> Phones? Were they there? I just need as much proof as I can get, that my orange boxes haven't been forgotten! (I know, it's pathetic) :D

I did see an orange pole or two.

> 2nd picture - should there not be an "M8" on that somewhere. It's only a minor thing.

On confirmation signage the route number is on a small square sign that stands atop the main rectangular sign (see the photo on the M8 wiki page, for example), so I'm sure they'll add it. Not all the signing is done yet.
    > 3rd picture - I presume they'll have some sort of deflector there to stop traffic smashing into the median. And there will most likely be extra signage I'd presume as well so as to direct traffic to the correct carriageway.

As well as those red and white heavy plastic barriers; I presume these'll be added too, to delineate better.
    > 4th picture - again, same as above. I just hope extra signs are put up because I fear that could be an accident zone.

Again, I'm expecting those orange flashing signs to be put up.
    > 5th picture - what do the signs say? Particularly the "diamond" sign at the end of the slip-road.

One of them certainly has a "no overtaking" sign - the rest I'm not sure of.

> 7th picture - that is quite poor tbh... I still hope it's nice to drive (and yes, I will be driving it December 8th!)

I will be too. And yes, the surface is a little poor - not much room for percolation/very smooth, perhaps too much so.
    One thing, everything seems pretty much done. Why can't they open it, say, in a week's time for example.

There are still a few loose ends to tie up. These are small, but they're there.

• Advertisement

EDIT: I should mention that although it might appear small, the sign in the first picture is immense: you could not miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I drove that way today Furet. I thought they were working on it when I seen the cherrypicker! Looking good now I must say. Glad to see them adding further streetlighting at the border junction too as I notice the lighting is poor at the roundabout north of Urlingford. They should have a circular light in the centre of the roundabout at Urlingford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Ok. These are the final pictures I'll be taking of the scheme. They show the final 500m of the stretch to the roundabout just south of Cullahill.

Again, many thanks for the pics!

Now, about the slip road - it's a death trap IMO - having traffic funnelling from a motorway into a narrow 2 way slip. What I really can't understand is that the engineers went to quite some lengths to install what appears to be a large temporary roundabout and yet, they put in a sub-standard slip which seems like a good opporunity for head on collisions.

Can anyone comment on this? :confused:

Regards!

They also dont seem to have any of those bumpy lines that remind you to slow down.

Looks like people will be hitting a roundabout at 120kmh without thinking of slowing down :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Again, many thanks for the pics!

Now, about the slip road - it's a death trap IMO - having traffic funnelling from a motorway into a narrow 2 way slip. What I really can't understand is that the engineers went to quite some lengths to install what appears to be a large temporary roundabout and yet, they put in a sub-standard slip which seems like a good opporunity for head on collisions.

Can anyone comment on this? :confused:

Regards!
    Yes, I remember them saying in at the planning stage that the road would start and end at that temp roundabout until the M7/M8 Y motorway is complete in about 18 months. Then the roundabout will be removed.

Guys, I'm sure there'll be lots of warning signs such as flashing orange boards, as well as cones, heavy red-and-white barriers, etc.
    Also, the speed limit is signed 100km/h one kilometre south of the slip road. I'm sure that'll be reduced to 50 by temporary signs placed strategically along the end of the route. All that said, it's still too narrow by far.

Guys, I'm sure there'll be lots of warning signs such as flashing orange boards, as well as cones, heavy red-and-white barriers, etc.
    Also, the speed limit is signed 100km/h one kilometre south of the slip road. I'm sure that'll be reduced to 50 by temporary signs placed strategically along the end of the route. All that said, it's still too narrow by far.

Well, seeing as though they went for a single slip-road design (as opposed to two, which is what I thought before), there's really no reason it couldn't be wider. They could've at least put a hard shoulder (or at least a hard-strip) on it.

I would've divided the carriageways right up until the roundabout. From the looks of it, merging could be a bit of a disaster. But we'll wait and see...

I'm sure will be seeing delineators, musoir road dividers, bollards and plenty of temporary signage popping up over the next week at the Cullahill terminus.

I really do hope they go all out to make it as safe as possible, because I am geniunely worried that people may go down the wrong carriageway.

More lighting is needed as well, illuminated bollards would do the trick here...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There were roadwork signs either side of the border in addition to the ones there for months now, so I'd say some serious work will be done this week. I am heading to Urlingford tomorrow night so I will report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Isn't this section from this terminal junction to the next junction south going to be subsumed into the tolled section? like watergrasshill but on a much larger scale? so this junction will be temporary and will be removed when the rest of the M8 is built to the M7?

The end of dual carriageways has always been signed well in advance and I'd say here there'll be a ghost island and temporary barriers and a 50 kmh limit imposed long before the Portlaoise bound carriageway ends. using barriers to narrow the northbound section will slow most traffic.

I think the real issue is the lack of a proper permanent junction at this point.

Advertisement