Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Cashel to Cullahill

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How is the terminus reached from Rathdowney and Johnstown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Isn't this section from this terminal junction to the next junction south going to be subsumed into the tolled section? like watergrasshill but on a much larger scale? so this junction will be temporary and will be removed when the rest of the M8 is built to the M7?

The end of dual carriageways has always been signed well in advance and I'd say here there'll be a ghost island and temporary barriers and a 50 kmh limit imposed long before the Portlaoise bound carriageway ends. using barriers to narrow the northbound section will slow most traffic.

I think the real issue is the lack of a proper permanent junction at this point.

Yes, and indeed I think I wrote a few posts on this already.

Basically, what has me frustrated is that by not providing a junction at Cullahill, in effect, the toll section of motorway is being extended to junction 3.

Think about it. There will be no non-tolled escape after Urlingford (junction 4). Junction 3 will most likely have toll gantries shoved onto it. Junction 2 will be local access only (meaning that you're going to be led into a toll, or you've already paid), and Junction 1 will funnel you straight into the M7 toll. There will be no escape. It really is quite unfair considering the 12 km Urlingford - Cashel stretch is public motorway.

Of course, if toll gantries aren't stuck onto Junction 3, there'll be no problem. The EIS doesn't have any, so I've got my fingers crossed.
    How is the terminus reached from Rathdowney and Johnstown?

Use the R639 to bring yourself to the roundabout.

This R639 is the former N8?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    This R639 is the former N8?

Yep.

I wouldn't expect it to be labelled as such for some time though. They are incredibly lazy when it comes to replacing signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

yes R639 is the former n8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Official confirmation on AA Roadwatch of Dec. 8 opening. http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=97797

About the AA...

Their route planner had, for months, neglected to include redesignated stretches of motorway, including the new stretches of M8.

So I sent them an e-mail about this, and within a few days they'd corrected this mistake...

Well... kind of.

It may look like a minor thing, but this kind of mistake is completely unnecessary...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Zuisse

Good to hear the motorway's going to open well ahead of schedule - I drive on this road every day so it'll make the journey alot easier.
    They seem to be leaving it until the last minute though to connect the M8/N8 at Cullahill. Would have thought that the roundabout would have been in place weeks ago, like the one in Urlingford.
    Also, the roundabout at this junction thats already built seems to be quite a bit lower down than the existing road, even though its practically next to the road. Hope it's going to be safe enough and that they're not going to have to modify it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭biggles007

Ironic for someone calling themselves "Irish and Proud" to be using a means of measurement not accepted in Ireland:D:D:D
    Are you sure you're not a plastic paddy? In the Republic of Ireland we use kilometers unless you work for Iarnrod Eireann!
    So that would be
    11 km - dundalk
    9.4 km north of dundalk
    29 km Kilbeggan to Athlone
    39.5km Cullahil to Cashel
    40km Cashel to Micthelstown
    8km M50
    5.6km port tunnel
    22.9 Km Gorey bypass
    13.65km Rathnew/Ashford
    etc, etc

If "Irish And Proud" was as old as me and had Miles embedded in his brain for nearly 100 years , it's hard to move to km's

What time are they opening this next Monday?

I will be physically sick if they open it at 3:00 pm or something like that just to facilitate the reems of politicians all seeking to scoop up credit for this road. I will be driving to Dublin early that day and I'm hoping to use that sretch.

I will be disgruntled if I see a perfectly usable road blocked off just because a minister - who had very little to do with the road - "needs" to drive down it first and give another crappy, cliché transport 21 speech.

I sincerely hope it's opened at midnight to public traffic, no need for the "official" celebration to hold it up.

• Advertisement

BluntGuy wrote: »
    What time are they opening this next Monday?

I will be physically sick if they open it at 3:00 pm or something like that just to facilitate the reems of politicians all seeking to scoop up credit for this road. I will be driving to Dublin early that day and I'm hoping to use that sretch.

I will be disgruntled if I see a perfectly usable road blocked off just because a minister - who had very little to do with the road - "needs" to drive down it first and give another crappy, cliché transport 21 speech.

I sincerely hope it's opened at midnight to public traffic, no need for the "official" celebration to hold it up.

Sorry Bluntguy, but they won't open it until 11am at the earliest. You'll get to drive it when you're driving down again though.

It is senseless, because "official" openings for roads like this just aren't necessary. Knock on wood that it will never happen, but could you imagine if there was a fatal accident on an N road hours before the M road was due to open? It would be a tragic - yet ridiculous - scenario.

Alas, I won't be driving on the 8th either; I've a paper to give instead :rolleyes:

Furet wrote: »
    It would be a tragic - yet ridiculous - scenario.

And all so the minister could make this speech...
    The opening of the [Insert Road Scheme Name Here] scheme is fantastic news for local people and other road users. This new road, which was delivered on time and on budget, will remove [Insert Number Of Vehicles Here] vehicles per day from the bypassed towns and villages of [Insert Villages and Towns Here]. It will improve the quality of life for those living in these areas and make their local roads safer while at the same time cutting driving times on the [Insert Route Name Here] route. I look forward to watching the boost that this new road will deliver for the local commercial and tourism industries.

I hate "official" openings... :mad:

So basically I'll be stuck on the crappy old road that day just because the red-tape hasn't been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Is there a difference between the 'official' opening and the legal opening time?

If the road is legally open from midnight on December 8th, then by what authority can it be temporarily closed for the 'official' opening?

By the authority of the barrel and cone.

Is there a difference between the 'official' opening and the legal opening time?

If the road is legally open from midnight on December 8th, then by what authority can it be temporarily closed for the 'official' opening?

On some road schemes, the road is open before the "official" afternoon opening. However, it does have to close for a while to facilitate the annoying, gratuitous opening ceremony.

If they want to have a little opening celebration, as cringeworthy as it may be, then I've no problem with that. As long as it doesn't unnecessarily impede me from using the road.

If they do happen to open it at midnight and have the opening ceremony at midday, it shouldn't affect me. That said, it should be open for everyone.

is there any signs of what the slip will look like, i have read alot of posts about the concerns of the sliproad.

I've taken lots of photos of it. Look upthread.

what i meant was about the exit and entry of the m8 at cullahill. for example the exit looks really tight for 2way traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Drove by it yesterday evening, there are 2 places (just north and south of the roundabout) where they removed the ditch and put in lamp posts, etc. So they'll be redirecting the old road in towards the roundabout at two points, presumably reverting back to the old road in 2 years time when the roundabout becomes obsolete. Upon initial inspection they do look a little narrow - but then again so did the slip road from the roundabout to the motorway... maybe they didn't want to invest too much in a temporary structure. It has to comply with minimum specifications WRT width etc, I reckon they've built just the bare minimum to comply with regulation specs and nothing more.
    Driving up again on the evening of the 7th, which will be annoying. With any hope it'll be unofficially opened at that stage.
    Return journey to Cork on the 11th should be a pleasure =0)

larryone wrote: »
    Driving up again on the evening of the 7th, which will be annoying. With any hope it'll be unofficially opened at that stage.

There is every chance that it will be as they'll probably be removing the barriers from junctions in the nightime...

I'm driving up on the 8th in the morning, so I hope it is opened before then. The "official" opening needn't stop me from using using the road.

• Advertisement

The 40km Cashel to Cullahill scheme opens officially at 11am next Monday. Traffic may use the road from 1.30pm.

The scheme will open replete with 56 emergency telephones from junction 7 (Cashel North) to Cullahill.

The scheme will also open up with a fine finish to it - the verges (all the verges) have been nicely trimmed; the landscaping works are exemplary; and the route is more heavily planted than the Cashel to Mitchelstown scheme. It will also be far straighter than the aforementioned section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That actually looks like a properly finished road compared to some of the things that have opened lately.

I think this is going to be a much nicer road than Cashel-Michelstown (and bare in mind that's quite a nice road too, bar the ugly landscaping and some of the curves).

It looks fairly straight, it has lovely, long slips, the emergency telephones make a welcome comeback (and not just from Cullahill-Urlingford as I suspected) and it's going to be under motorway restrictions from day one so no tractors/cyclists/other-unnecessary-obstructions will ruin my experience when I drive it for the first time six days from now.

56 emergency telephones sounds about right. That's about 1 every mile.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

was going past the culllahill end of it today....cars are being sent through the roundabout. Only one line of traffic is allowed in at a time (stop and go - that drives me mad) so the road obviously isnt complete...it must b close tho. All the signs saying motorway ahead and M8 are up. On the urlingford roundabout all the poles for the signs are up but no signs as of yet...i'd say they will prob go up sunday evening.

Just one thing. it was night when i was goin past, and the lighting is terrible. Absolutely dreadfull. If it wasn't for the roadworks emergency lights and the headlights you would have found it very hard to see. Mayb the lights are up but jus not on yet. Hopefully. Lights are also pretty bad around urlingford. The road from the roundabout on the soon to be former N8 to the actual motorway slip roads is about 1km, maybe a little less, but from what i could c there was three lights on the road and none on the actual motorway junction at all. Again hopefully they are there and jus turned off.

can anyone shed any light on wether the lights are there or just off....

jus noticed the pun...shed any light...pardon it.ha

dannym08 wrote: »
    was going past the culllahill end of it today....cars are being sent through the roundabout. Only one line of traffic is allowed in at a time (stop and go - that drives me mad) so the road obviously isnt complete...it must b close tho. All the signs saying motorway ahead and M8 are up. On the urlingford roundabout all the poles for the signs are up but no signs as of yet...i'd say they will prob go up sunday evening.

Just one thing. it was night when i was goin past, and the lighting is terrible. Absolutely dreadfull. If it wasn't for the roadworks emergency lights and the headlights you would have found it very hard to see. Mayb the lights are up but jus not on yet. Hopefully. Lights are also pretty bad around urlingford. The road from the roundabout on the soon to be former N8 to the actual motorway slip roads is about 1km, maybe a little less, but from what i could c there was three lights on the road and none on the actual motorway junction at all. Again hopefully they are there and jus turned off.

can anyone shed any light on wether the lights are there or just off....

jus noticed the pun...shed any light...pardon it.ha

I wouldn't get my hopes up for better lighting. Junction lighting on Cashel-Mitchelstown road is also quite poor.

I'm sure others know about the situation than me.

And at Cullahill terminus, there is a worrying lack of lights. The roundabout is lit, but the motorway and slip-road leading up to it are not.

Out of interest, are the motorway ahead and M8 signs covered in black plastic? Strange question, but I do have a reason for asking

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Out of interest, are the motorway ahead and M8 signs covered in black plastic? Strange question, but I do have a reason for asking

no they're not... which would lead me ta believe that it will be stop and go till next monday as otherwise it would confuse people.... i hope im wrong

dannym08 wrote: »
    no they're not... which would lead me ta believe that it will be stop and go till next monday as otherwise it would confuse people.... i hope im wrong

It may well be Stop-and-Go until next monday. I doubt it though.

Also, tbh I think the scheme should open on Sunday.

AA Roadwatch say the stop/go system will operate until next Monday.

amacachi wrote: »
    That actually looks like a properly finished road compared to some of the things that have opened lately.

Indeed. Many of our recent road openings have been marred by silly 100 km/h temporary speed limits and the presence of annoying tractors and other slow traffic.

This road will have none of that. From day one it will be fully fledged motorway, with the appropiate speed limit, all the appropiate signage (no ugly gaffer tape or missing 'End of Motorway', 'Start of Motorway' etc. signage), the telephones back where they belong and good landscaping.

Without a doubt, this is the nicest section of road to open this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Great to see it open early.

I'll have to do the Cork - Dublin run over Christmas.

I absolutely loathe the old section of road.

Advertisement