Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there a way i can get out of a 12 month eircom contract

Options
  • 11-06-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

so i signed up for broadband in september/october but i want to switch and get upc which is alot of faster and way cheaper so is there a way i can get out of the agreement i have with eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I cancelled my 12 month contract with eircom with about 5 months left to run on it to move to Smart with no penalties about 3 years ago now.

But it could be a completely different story now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Only way to do it is to ring up and tell them you'd like to cancel. Don't mention that you're moving to a competitor. They might let you go without penalty, they might not.

In any case, brace yourself for an endless stream of self-righteous individuals who are going to come into this thread to lecture you about contract law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ronrar wrote: »
    so i signed up for broadband in september/october but i want to switch and get upc which is alot of faster and way cheaper so is there a way i can get out of the agreement i have with eircom?

Unless you got BB as part of a bundle, the contract is only 6 months.
    As part of a bundle it's 12 months.

Eircom are upgrading speeds in a couple of weeks so there may not be much in the difference then. I'm not familiar with UPC pricing though, so maybe not.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228131

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You are aware Eircom upgrades are coming this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Even when Eircom upgrade they aren't going to come close to price of UPC.
    UPC are providing 12mbit for 40 euro a month, to get that speed with Eircom you would have to get a business package for 169+vat a month. I guess I am one of the as phlann calls them "self righteous" individuals that hope Eircom will stick you to the contract. Next time before you sign a contract shop around first, a contract should be binding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Even when Eircom upgrade they aren't going to come close to price of UPC.
    UPC are providing 12mbit for 40 euro a month, to get that speed with Eircom you would have to get a business package for 169+vat a month. I guess I am one of the as phlann calls them "self righteous" individuals that hope Eircom will stick you to the contract. Next time before you sign a contract shop around first, a contract should be binding.

Why do you care if they stick it to him? They are the most badly run organisation possibly in Ireland, if they hadnt got such a monopoly on things they would have gone under years ago. Have you ever had a business impact issue and tried to get it sorted, or actually been on hold to try and speak with someone who wasnt like that guy off fonejacker? Are you Interested in switching your providings, to a provider who provides a better service level of internet service providings! OR ever ordered business BB, or a leased line and wanted it within a reasonable amount of time? Do you know any of their engineers? Have you ever been in any of their data centers and seen the state of them? I mean they even comprimised the majority of new BB users by shipping their routers where the WEP is contained in the SSID, even my kid brother could hack it. Anyways rant over!!!

OP, my advice would be to ring up, wait patiently for half an hour until some toolbox finally decides to pick up the phone and then ask nicely can you back out of the contract, make up some story that you are thinking of renting the house out and that the new tennant may wish to purchase BB in the future but that you dont want to pay for it anymore, suck up to them and tell them that they provide a fantastic service etc. If the first fella you talk to plays hardball, immediately ask to speak to his supervisor. Then start the speail all over again. If he says the same time, say "sorry this is not acceptable can I speak to your supervisor" eventually you should get to speak to someone that will sort you out. Thats the only way to deal with Eircom, be nice, but just keep escalating your problem further and further up until they can no longer fob you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

allybhoy wrote: »
    Why do you care if they stick it to him? They are the most badly run organisation possibly in Ireland, if they hadnt got such a monopoly on things they would have gone under years ago. Have you ever had a business impact issue and tried to get it sorted, or actually been on hold to try and speak with someone who wasnt like that guy off fonejacker? Are you Interested in switching your providings, to a provider who provides a better service level of internet service providings! OR ever ordered business BB, or a leased line and wanted it within a reasonable amount of time? Do you know any of their engineers? Have you ever been in any of their data centers and seen the state of them? I mean they even comprimised the majority of new BB users by shipping their routers where the WEP is contained in the SSID, even my kid brother could hack it. Anyways rant over!!!

OP, my advice would be to ring up, wait patiently for half an hour until some toolbox finally decides to pick up the phone and then ask nicely can you back out of the contract, make up some story that you are thinking of renting the house out and that the new tennant may wish to purchase BB in the future but that you dont want to pay for it anymore, suck up to them and tell them that they provide a fantastic service etc. If the first fella you talk to plays hardball, immediately ask to speak to his supervisor. Then start the speail all over again. If he says the same time, say "sorry this is not acceptable can I speak to your supervisor" eventually you should get to speak to someone that will sort you out. Thats the only way to deal with Eircom, be nice, but just keep escalating your problem further and further up until they can no longer fob you off.

ill just make up some sob story of how i am going through difficult financial times and can no longer afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

allybhoy wrote: »
    I have had plenty of dealings with Eircom and other telcos for that matter but I don't let my personal feelings about them get in the way of common sense.
    I'm not defending Eircom in fact I'm one of the loudest critics of Eircom and the state of the telecommunication in Ireland on this board. I would normally like to hear of Eircom getting a black eye whatever that may be, but in this case its sheer stupidity to sign up to a contract and then half way through decide that there is a better offer somewhere else. If you're going to sign a contract to receive a product or service from a company do your research before signing.

Advertisement