Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Blackout on Lisbon

Options
  • 11-06-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Do you think all the internet flash-ads should be disabled today? Personally I do. Between here and the property pin I've been hit with a barage of Libertas ads on what should be a day for you to make up your own mind right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

+1 - all or nothing with regards to media blackouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

In fairness there are adds on buses, lamp posts bill boards and so on which will all still be displayed today. It's hard to draw a line with a media black out. Having said that I would have favoured these boards adds expiring at midnight last night but maybe that's just because I really dislike libertas because of the way they've run their campaign and their adds are most prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

What's the exact deal with the ban on political parties / "interested" bodies talking about / advertising opinions. Out of interest why is there a ban and just one day before the vote, why not 2 weeks or a month even? As pointed out there's posters all over the place.

With regards to the media, i've had a look at the independent website, and they're running stories on Lisbon. So why is it ok for a media outlet like the independent to run stories online but not in physical papers? Also as pointed out the libertas ads are still running here. Are you violating the media blackout by actively running ads online, or again, is this a domain that isn't considered/covered by laws? The same goes for Internet radio/tv, could a broadcaster get away with running stories / opinions because it's over the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The admins already checked this and it applies to board cast media only.

Advertisement