Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can someone explain cable broadband to me

Options
  • 11-06-2008 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

ok i dont know that much about it but. so it obviously connects through your tv, so do you have to keep your tv on to use it or what? what is the installation process? does someone need to come out and fix it up or do you do it yourself. is there a modem or what is the equipment you use to connect it to your comp?

any help appreciated

ronrar

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

No nothing like that. It comes into your house or whatever the same way the cable tv does. You have a modem, which plugs into the cable box in the wall, your PC and that's it. Independent of your TV (as I recently found out when my NTL BB was down for 2 weeks).

Wasn't much of a waiting time for it (as regards installation) I found (to my surprise). They put another box in a room for me, which I use as an office.

I have had nothing but problems with it of late though but otherwise, as much as I despise NTL, its been pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It uses a Modem and shares the cable Tv company coax. There is no need to watch or connect TV or have a TV decoder/set box.

The old "band I" Analogue TV is gone and the modem uses those channels to send information to the internet.

A tv channel on cable (Band III, Hyberband or UHF) is dedicated to the data from the Internet. 100 to 5000 Modems can share the coax depending on how long the cable is, how much speed people have, how many channels used for Modems instead of TV etc.

Eventually they will have no Analogue TV as each Analogue TV channel's space could be 12 Digital TV channels (3 or 4 HD channels) or 10 to 200 Broadband Internet connections.

Usually the modem is just a modem and you need a separate router if you want WiFi or multiple PCs, though this may be an option.

They do have a subscription without TV now.

Advertisement