Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More time for Business and History!!! Something must be done

Options
  • 11-06-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭

I dont do either business or history but from reading posts though this forum and talking to my friends , I believe there should be an increase in time for these subjects.

An exam is a test of the sylibus in a given time period which examens what you know about the sylibus.

But in cases like this, you cannot write what you know on your sylibus.

This is unfair and attention must be brought to the examination board to increase time by 20 or so minutes (like English Paper 2).

If this continues to be the case then deserving students will not get grades they deserve and the numbers taking these subjects will become obsolete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Here, here! I totally agree with you. The lack of time given for the Business exam was an absolute disgrace. The paper wasn't too bad apart from the short Qs but there were so many subsections in the Qs and the Qs required really long answers. A lot of the people that I was talking to only managed to finish 3 complete Qs and only just got a 4th started. I wrote at practically the speed of light for the entire exam and I didn't get it completed but I knew all the information required. It's so unfair and the SEC should take the time element into consideration when marking Business this year. There have many complaints from all over the country so something must be done. I propose a campaign to only count each candidate's 3 best Qs in Business - I highly doubt that will happen though but it should because it was far too demanding for the time period allocated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

agree with you 100%. i dont do history but business defenitely needs more time, ridiculous the amount of work they expect to be done in the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

tdc wrote: »
    agree with you 100%. i dont do history but business defenitely needs more time, ridiculous the amount of work they expect to be done in the time

+1 i also find a lack of time in business

+1 i also find a lack of time in business

Yeah we should start a petition or something!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RA253195370HK

I dont think more times needed, 3 hours of non-stop writing is tiring enough, there should be a question less on the long questions. I only started my 4th one at quarter to 5 but managed to throw something together. My hand was ready to fall off at the end though, its a ridiciulously long paper and the only one I actually stayed in for more than 2 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i don't know about history, but the teachers were fighting for an extra 20 mins in business this year but they didn't get it so they'll probably get it next year:)

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    i don't know about history, but the teachers were fighting for an extra 20 mins in business this year but they didn't get it so they'll probably get it next year:)

Too right they will - I will make sure of that! The only reason they didn't get it was cos the SEC don't want to have to pay the supervisors for the extra time cos they have to pay them for the whole hour even though it's only an extra 20minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Business is already 3 hours, 3 hours 20 minutes would make it as long as English Paper 2. I found it grand, I don't know what the problem was with the others :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Tbh, I thought History was gonna be tighter for time than it was. I got 'em all done at decent lengths with ten minutes to go. Might have something to do with the Red Bull & Lucozade combo, but who knows!? XD I dunno, thought it was grand myself. My right hand disagrees, but that's beside the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

Seconded! Don't do business but rushed through history faster than I've ever done any exam in my life, and finished with only five minutes to go.

Apparently there's some teachers out there complaining that the exams with the extra 20 minutes are too long, because they're encouraging students to write more than they need to! Is that not the problem of the teacher themself?? Madness...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I think it's more a problem that people are trying to write too much. In the business, when you write a 20 mark question, all you need is 4 points with about 3 lines on each one. For 25, 5 points, and for 30, 6 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Ok lads, totally agree, did history today should be at least 30 minutes longer. We should get an online petition going definitely. But not for more than 2 or 3 subjects - lets make it reasonable.

I'm a constituent of Batt O'Keefe (live about half a mile away from him) if that can be any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Believe me turgon Business is as bad, according to ppl who do both(sj).

and then irish is way too long(everyone left early).

I dont do history but cant understand why did they make id 2 hrs 50.
    why not another 10 mins?

Maybe a petition would force them to change the marking scheme and give a1's to all......maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Half way through the history exam I got an awful cramp. I had to do a bit of massaging etc. and ended up finishing the exam 5 minutes over time. It's fairly ridiculous indeed. I think English Paper 2 is not too bad for time though.
    I don't understand why the Department feel the need to put students under such strenuous time pressure. Surely history could be bumped up th 10 minutes, to round it to 3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 i hate boards

history should have 1 less question and only slightly less time :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I agree 100%. The only thing worse than not knowing the answer to a question is knowing the answer and not having time to write it down. I will gladly join any movement calling for extra time to be allocated for these subjects.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A few years ago, the old history syllabus meant the exam was 5 questions in 3hrs 20 minutes. Then they allow students do the Special Topic in a seperate time, hand it in early, do one less question in 2hrs 50mins. They will not keep it that way, and extend the time, without adding in something else. Its the LC, not a picnic in the sun. Know the method, know what ya want to say, know how long ya have for each question, then there will be no problem. Yes its tough, but hey, worse things will happen in life.

EDIT: I'm basing this on history, in case ye didnt know, but the same principles apply to all subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

40 minutes to do a full essay is very little. We just dont have the time to put down what we dont know. How about 3:30 flat? that would be nice.

What about business - how much more time do you think you need?

Well i could write for a couple more hours, 20 mins extra would have been enough for me to do a perfect paper but that 20mins is alot of marks:(

How was history btw

Mushy wrote: »
    A few years ago, the old history syllabus meant the exam was 5 questions in 3hrs 20 minutes. Then they allow students do the Special Topic in a seperate time, hand it in early, do one less question in 2hrs 50mins. They will not keep it that way, and extend the time, without adding in something else. Its the LC, not a picnic in the sun. Know the method, know what ya want to say, know how long ya have for each question, then there will be no problem. Yes its tough, but hey, worse things will happen in life.

EDIT: I'm basing this on history, in case ye didnt know, but the same principles apply to all subjects.

I know what you mean. And thats what i do. I always concentrate on timing.
    Its just a pity you cant show off more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

melboix wrote: »
    Tbh, I thought History was gonna be tighter for time than it was. I got 'em all done at decent lengths with ten minutes to go. Might have something to do with the Red Bull & Lucozade combo, but who knows!? XD I dunno, thought it was grand myself. My right hand disagrees, but that's beside the point.

Yeah would have to agree finished the exam with about 10 minutes left and most of the answers were 2-3 pages long. Can't say myself I had problems with time constraints but each to their own I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

I'M DEFO COMPLAINING TO THE GERRY RYAN SHOW NEXT WEEK
    I'll post a topic during sunday or something saying when ill ring in
    and you should all listen in and then tx in with your complaints
    then WE WILL BE HEARD!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

The OP doesn't do either subject. Odd to make a thread about this given that they have no experience of the subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

ateam wrote: »
    The OP doesn't do either subject. Odd to make a thread about this given that they have no experience of the subjects.

Yeah most of my friends are doing both subjects and I dont think it fair that if you know the stuff but cant write it out because of time,it is a great shame . It seems like a matter that must be brought to the attention of the state examinations board.

turgon wrote: »
    40 minutes to do a full essay is very little. We just dont have the time to put down what we dont know. How about 3:30 flat? that would be nice.

What about business - how much more time do you think you need?

Discipline! Discipline regards time and you will get a good score. Ye are not the first people to go through it, ye wont be the last. I've been through it myself, its NOT THAT BAD.

If ye worry about numbers decreasing in the subject, it'll more than likely happen due to past students complaining about it, not the scheduled length of the exam. Everyone has had two years to prepare for this exam. Surely
    timing yourself cant be that hard unless, say, god forbid, ye didnt prepare properly. And sure we all know kids today wouldnt do this:rolleyes:. As I said, its the LC, not a picnic in the sun, its not supposed to be a nice experience, but you'll come up against much worse in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I just wrote an angry e-mail to Batt O' Keefe about history. Told him " Even as I type this, my hand continues to ache." He better reply

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Is everyone that slow at writing? I finished history with ten minutes to spare, after doing 18 pages, nd could do an extra question in business. They give you enough time to do the paper, just sometimes people write too much info for an answer, eg in bussiness for a 15 marker all you need are three or four points of information, not a huge long answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

turgon wrote: »

I'm a constituent of Batt O'Keefe (live about half a mile away from him) if that can be any help.

you can deliver it :pac:

Agree completely about History. Even TEN minutes on the end would sort that exam out, the way it ends at 10 to' is a joke.

Fuascailt wrote: »
    I just wrote an angry e-mail to Batt O' Keefe about history. Told him " Even as I type this, my hand continues to ache." He better reply

Are you joking? If I was him, I'd reply saying something along the lines of "Unlike the other X tousands of students who havent complained, maybe you didnt prepare properly, and so struggled to write within the alloted time. Unfortunately I am unable to negotiate with Mr. Weather, but that doesnt mean I can extend a history exam on account of one student complaining of a sore hand to me who tried to rush under pressure instead of taking time out from sun-bathing or whatever it is these youngsters get up to nowadays to actually study and prepare properly for exams that will start them off on a life hopefully full of further educaton where they will find out this isn't the toughest thing they will go through."

Something along those lines. Oh, and I saw the paper there. Last year I did topics 2 & 3, for the Irish history thus year, they'd be easily done in jut over an hour for the 2. And Europe topic 2 was fine. Didnt seem overly bad, what was hard about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Surely
    timing yourself cant be that hard unless, say, god forbid, ye didnt prepare properly. And sure we all know kids today wouldnt do this. As I said, its the LC, not a picnic in the sun, its not supposed to be a nice experience, but you'll come up against much worse in life.

That's such an unbelievably lame argument. The Leaving Cert is supposed to test what you know in your chosen subjects. It's not designed to be a test of how fast you can make your hand move to write something. Selecting people for college places on that basis would be utterly ridiculous.

What's your deal, anyway? How did you do in the LC? It's all very well to say this if you're someone who is able to write faster than average, and your place in college isn't hanging in the balance. It's not that easy for everyone and the LC shouldn't discriminate on the basis of physical ability to write at a certain speed.

...Or perhaps you didn't get your course for this same reason, and are now pissed that future students might not have that burden to bear?

Grow up. If you can make posts like this, you've clearly missed the point of the whole education system.

Advertisement