Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team Sub Forums - Please have a look and a vote.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Yes
    pvt.joker wrote: »
    There's a massive thread over on sys->forums that has all of the arguments outlined in it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055281186

I think that the soccer forum has grown beyond it's capability.
    The number of posts on it and judging by the amount of people looking for access to soccer also, it's only going to get worse.
    It was fine and has been excellent up until a few months ago but it's way too cluttered, in particular the superthreads. I have read what PHB proposed to do with the superthreads...i.e create more superthreads per team (matches/transfers/etc) and that will only make the forum more cluttered.

In my opinion, a case should be made for each sub forum on its own merits. The united fans have made a case for one in sys->forums. If Liverpool fans want one, they can make a case too, as can City/Leeds/Reading/Rangers/Wycombe/Shels fans. The admins will then decide if each sub-forum will have sufficient traffic to merit its own sub forum.

Who do you support? And who ever it is then why don't you just find a forum on a different site that is just for them fans.

The soccer forum on Boards gets so much traffic and good discussion(most of the time) because it has such a mix of fans.

Making sub forums would ruin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yes
    All I can see is that United fans want a place where no other fans are allowed to post, or more to the point, only fans that they WANT to interact with are allowed to post.

Boards.ie isn't about that.

Other fan sites are, Red Issue, Red Café. What is wrong with these places? Why do these places not cater to these needs? What would the difference be?

POST#253 in that thread
    united fans have requested it, there is demand for it, so i really cant see what the problem is. 40-50 members would make for a top class board, i can see that and more being interested. only thing that needs clarification is -

who would mod it? it has to be united fans and there is no doubting that.
    would it be private like soccer or public like the ticket/access/boards team forums?
    and would it be united fans only (would have to be private i guess then)?

my suggestions would be to make it private, totally seperate to the main forum but allow anybody to join. i certainly wouldnt mind the likes of xavi, mr alan etc on it as it would add a bit of spice and make it more interesting definately.

So, allow only United people to post, then cherry pick the others.

Why are United fans afraid of the main forum? It makes no sense to me. None whatsoever.

Why should I, as a non-fan of Man Utd have to read about ManYoo related incidents in two, or more parts of Boards.

I fear for Soccer if this precedent is set, the forum will die, and the sub-forums will become clique-ey and horrible places to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

SantryRed wrote: »
    Who do you support? And who ever it is then why don't you just find a forum on a different site that is just for them fans.

The soccer forum on Boards gets so much traffic and good discussion(most of the time) because it has such a mix of fans.

Making sub forums would ruin it.

I support Man U. Why should I find a forum on a different site just for them fans :confused:. I would prefer to discuss it with like minded fans from boards.ie

Why would sub forums ruin it? Can you provide an example of where something like this has happened on boards.ie before and it's been ruined?

Has the television forum been ruined by the creation of many sub forums? (answer=no)

Has the music forum been ruined by the creation of many sub forums?
    (answer=no)

Has the video games forum been ruined by the creation of many sub forums?
    (answer=no)

They have thrived, and that is what I believe will happen if teams are given sub forums. I believe it is a very backward way of doing things (one giant forum) and discourages new posters from posting as they are intimidated by the sheer size and scale of superthreads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Yes
    DesF wrote: »

Why are United fans afraid of the main forum? It makes no sense to me. None whatsoever.

Not all United fans though. I agree with DesF this cant happen

All I can see is that United fans want a place where no other fans are allowed to post, or more to the point, only fans that they WANT to interact with are allowed to post.

Other fan sites are, Red Issue, Red Café. What is wrong with these places? Why do these places not cater to these needs? What would the difference be?

POST#253 in that thread

Why should I, as a non-fan of Man Utd have to read about ManYoo related incidents in two, or more parts of Boards.

I fear for Soccer if this precedent is set, the forum will die, and the sub-forums will become clique-ey and horrible places to post.

Come on, you are quoting one of the most biased United fans I've ever met there :D He has his own way of posting that takes getting used to :p

There are a lot more balanced arguments and reasons in that thread.

I have no interest in posting on redcafe etc. I want to do it here, on a united forum , in an uncluttered and friendly place free of trolls.

Yes
    I support Man U. Why should I find a forum on a different site just for them fans :confused:. I would prefer to discuss it with like minded fans from boards.ie

So get all your sub forum supporters and go and join one of them. Why can't that happen? Why does it HAVE to be on Boards.ie

The Soccer forum is one of the most successful and well run communities on Boards.ie.

All I see people wanting is a place where they can get away with calling Liverpool "scum" and not be banned for it.

Another point raised is that the supporters of this sub forum want a place where they can post "hassle free". Who, or where, is this "hassle" coming from?

Fans of other teams with opposing views? You want a rose garden where everyone agrees? Why?

Biased Mods?

Anit-United feeling? Are you not anti-other teams?

Seems to me that United fans want a haven away from reality.

That is already provided for on the internet, the forums are not to my tatse, and I'd hate to see Boards.ie go down this road.

And I don't believe it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yes
    So get all your sub forum supporters and go and join one of them. Why can't that happen? Why does it HAVE to be on Boards.ie

The Soccer forum is one of the most successful and well run communities on Boards.ie.

All I see people wanting is a place where they can get away with calling Liverpool "scum" and not be banned for it.

Another point raised is that the supporters of this sub forum want a place where they can post "hassle free". Who, or where, is this "hassle" coming from?

Fans of other teams with opposing views? You want a rose garden where everyone agrees? Why?

Biased Mods?

That is already provided for on the internet, the forums are not to my tatse, and I'd hate to see Boards.ie go down this road.

Please stop saying Utd fans we dont all want this (I dont).

Yes
    I have no interest in posting on redcafe etc. I want to do it here, on a united forum , in an uncluttered and friendly place free of trolls.

If someone is trolling, use this report.gif

Either you don't trust the mods to make the decision, or you are way too sensitive.

What you shouldn't do is rise to them, it's what they want.

Then stick them on ignore, you are then magically free of trolls.

Or, in your opinion, is a troll someone who holds a view contrary to the view you and other United die-hards have?

Yes
    an uncluttered and friendly place free of trolls.

Report them when Trolling the Man Utd thread. MAybe have a "fair" United supporter(s) modding the United thread as an alternative option

• Advertisement

Yes
    Please stop saying Utd fans we dont all want this (I dont).

I didn't say "utd fans" or "utd supporters" once in the post you quoted.

I'm specifically referring to people who support the notion of sub forums.

Yes
    Trilla wrote: »
    Report them when Trolling the Man Utd thread. MAybe have a "fair" United supporter(s) modding the United thread as an alternative option

There already is. PHB.

Also, in the feedback thread in May, the Admin decided that there was no charges of unfair modding to answer, to any Soccer Mod.

I accept that decision.

Yes

There is a mod who is a Utd supporter.

I would also like the "troll" acquisitions to be more founded. Please have a look at the Utd thread and pick 5 posts that you consider to be a troll. If its such a problem it shouldn't be hard to do.

Yes

POST#253 in that thread

Biased Mods?

I didn't say "utd fans" or "utd supporters" once in the post you quoted.

I'm specifically referring to people who support the notion of sub forums.

You sure.

Yes
    You sure.

Apologies.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Yes
    Afternoon all.

I have posted my final thoughts on the Manchester Supporters Club idea in the "forums" forum. Although I will re-iterate what I said there on here and explain my thoughts.

Firstly I have voted "No" on this poll. Having read PHB´s latest post on the other thread amongst others I feel that the best possible solution here is to repair the current forum and make it a better user experience for everyone. This is firstly down to the mods then the users to help build the community. I know its sounds like a bit odd coming from me as I instigated the debate with the other thread, but at the end of the day if we can allay the problems with the actual soccer forum it will once again become a pleasant experience posting here.

Fair enough we are still going to have trolls and people we dont like but we need to ignore these people as PHB suggests. Going down the route of many subforums in reality would be ridiculous the more I think of it, if the current forum had a new structure put in place this would be a far better place to post on footie.

Should we become a better community it will be far easier, I will say that it is very difficult sometimes not to react to certain peoples posts, but thats the way its always going to be , for example Mr Alan use to infuriate sometimes , but now I have grown to like the scally and his posts.

Anyways thats my thoughts on the whole issue.

Will

• Advertisement

There is a mod who is a Utd supporter.

I would also like the "troll" acquisitions to be more founded. Please have a look at the Utd thread and pick 5 posts that you consider to be a troll. If its such a problem it shouldn't be hard to do.

No problem, I could pick 10. Have a look back to the CL semi-final thread. A soccer mod trolled the thread for several hours, despite being asked to stop repeatedly. He then banned several users for their reaction to his trollish posts. This was done to death in a feedback thread last month so Im not going into it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yes
    Maybe it would be fair to have some pool and vote what subforums we want and clubs with most fans should get a subforum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55740770&postcount=1

Yes
    No problem, I could pick 10.

Go on then.

And at the same time, let us know if you reported the trolling at the time you saw it.

I think the issue here isn't Sub Forums at all, but a problem with the mods.

Cruijff wrote: »
    Afternoon all.

I have posted my final thoughts on the Manchester Supporters Club idea in the "forums" forum. Although I will re-iterate what I said there on here and explain my thoughts.

Firstly I have voted "No" on this poll. Having read PHB´s latest post on the other thread amongst others I feel that the best possible solution here is to repair the current forum and make it a better user experience for everyone. This is firstly down to the mods then the users to help build the community. I know its sounds like a bit odd coming from me as I instigated the debate with the other thread, but at the end of the day if we can allay the problems with the actual soccer forum it will once again become a pleasant experience posting here.

Fair enough we are still going to have trolls and people we dont like but we need to ignore these people as PHB suggests. Going down the route of many subforums in reality would be ridiculous the more I think of it, if the current forum had a new structure put in place this would be a far better place to post on footie.

Should we become a better community it will be far easier, I will say that it is very difficult sometimes not to react to certain peoples posts, but thats the way its always going to be , for example Mr Alan use to infuriate sometimes , but now I have grown to like the scally and his posts.

Anyways thats my thoughts on the whole issue.

Will

way to cut the legs from under us mate.....

You better edit your sig.

This idea is now as dead as a dodo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Yes
    Not all United fans though. I agree with DesF this cant happen
    Same here another Utd fan here saying no, I enjoy possting in the soccer form as it is, sure there will be arguements or whatever but the soccer form would be a very boring place if there wasnt afew clash of opinions. Plus people seem to forget if there is one particular poster that is annoying you or trying to get a rise out of you there is the ignore feature.

• Advertisement

Yes

You better edit your sig.

This idea is now as dead as a dodo.
    /sheds a tear

Yes

Heh, I was just tihnking that.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Yes
    Its called common sense, and having thought about it now for a while , the only thing we would be doing is cutting the legs from the current forum.

Yes
    No problem, I could pick 10. Have a look back to the CL semi-final thread. A soccer mod trolled the thread for several hours, despite being asked to stop repeatedly. He then banned several users for their reaction to his trollish posts. This was done to death in a feedback thread last month so Im not going into it again.

I'm aware of the feedback thread. Oh and please do show me 10 posts that you think are troll posts rather than valid posts for discussion.

I thought the problem was with the super-threads?

Go on then.

And at the same time, let us know if you reported the trolling at the time you saw it.

I think the issue here isn't Sub Forums at all, but a problem with the mods.

I didn't report it, as what's the point in reporting someone who will be checking those very same reports?

I have learned my lesson however, and will pm another soccer mod should this happen again.

If there is a problem with the mods, as you admitted in that thread also, then I think we need to look at increasing the number of soccer mods to dilute the pool a bit , so to speak.

Sherifu wrote: »
    /sheds a tear

Do you not have cat pictures to be posting somewhere? :rolleyes:

Yes
    I didn't report it, as what's the point in reporting someone who will be checking those very same reports?.

There are 5 or 6 Soccer mods, afaik.

If there is a problem with the mods, as you admitted in that thread also,
    Then the Admin came along and said they were happy with the moderation.

If the owners of the website have no problem with the moderation, what else can be done?

then I think we need to look at increasing the number of soccer mods to dilute the pool a bit , so to speak.

I have already stated that I think the Soccer forum needs more moderators.

Yes
    Where are the ten trolls currently on the Man Uts Superthread?

Come on, name and shame.

Yes
    Do you not have cat pictures to be posting somewhere? :rolleyes:
    Not at the moment. I'd rather be here.

Yes
    Take over the ladies bitching section lounge instead then

• Advertisement

Where are the ten trolls currently on the Man Uts Superthread?

Come on, name and shame.

I have named and shamed in the feedback thread already. The posts are there for all to see in a thread about Man U's semi final. I have neither the time nor the inclination to look them up. Most of the forum are aware of who made them.

Yes
    No problem, I could pick 10.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to look them up. Most of the forum are aware of who made them.

:confused::confused:
    I have named and shamed in the feedback thread already. The posts are there for all to see in a thread about Man U's semi final.

I don't remember ten trolls being discussed in the feedback thread.

Yes
    I have named and shamed in the feedback thread already. The posts are there for all to see in a thread about Man U's semi final. I have neither the time nor the inclination to look them up. Most of the forum are aware of who made them.

So you will make the claims but wont back them up. Instead you want other people to go and back up your claims. Sorry but FAIL!
    :confused::confused:

I don't remember ten trolls being discussed in the feedback thread.

Neither do I. I remember one mod was accused of trolling because he pointed out the ref made some decisions that went in Utds favour.

Yes
    Neither do I. I remember one mod was accused of trolling because he pointed out the ref made some decisions that went in Utds favour.

He pointed it out more than once too, wouldn't let it go, afair.

Then went on to accuse me of having "cronies", still never got to the bottom of that one.

Said mod made "predictions" before the game, then came gloating back after to claim his "predictions" had come through, and kept it up for hours on end.
    Regarding the 10 posts I claimed, I never said 10 individual trolls, I said 10 posts.

Yes
    He pointed it out more than once too, wouldn't let it go, afair.

Then went on to accuse me of having "cronies", still never got to the bottom of that one.

But the trolling comments came because he wanted to discuss the match while some Utd fans just wanted to "enjoy" the night/victory and not discuss the match which was the purpose of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yes

Why would sub forums ruin it? Can you provide an example of where something like this has happened on boards.ie before and it's been ruined?

Has the television forum been ruined by the creation of many sub forums? (answer=no)

Has the music forum been ruined by the creation of many sub forums?
    (answer=no)

Has the video games forum been ruined by the creation of many sub forums?
    (answer=no)

They have thrived, and that is what I believe will happen if teams are given sub forums. I believe it is a very backward way of doing things (one giant forum) and discourages new posters from posting as they are intimidated by the sheer size and scale of superthreads.

This makes NO sense whatsoever. It would only make sense if this was about a Sport forum being devided into its specific sports.

Some people will like one type of music, others will like another. Some will like one game, others no interest and prefer another. But this is Football. We're all here because we love Football! If you only have an interest in your team and nothing else, this isnt the place for you imo. Plenty of fan forums out there - this shouldn't be one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yes
    Regarding the 10 posts I claimed, I never said 10 individual trolls, I said 10 posts.

so is he the one troll who frequents the Utd thread then? cause the way you were all going on in the thread requesting the subforum it sounded like the thread was permanently being trolled?

If he is the one troll, report him, if the mods/admins decide he did nothing wrong, well then you either have to accept that, or find a new site to frequent.

Yes
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    so is he the one troll who frequents the Utd thread then? cause the way you were all going on in the thread requesting the subforum it sounded like the thread was permanently being trolled?

If he is the one troll, report him, if the mods/admins decide he did nothing wrong, well then you either have to accept that, or find a new site to frequent.

Or put him on your ignore list.

• Advertisement

so is he the one troll who frequents the Utd thread then? .

You mean apart from you? :pac::D

Yes
    You mean apart from you? :pac::D

hilarious. I'm a troll. original :rolleyes:

Yes
    I'm a troll.

qft

qft

:D:D

Yes
    I love Mr Alan

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yes
    And round and round we go. The poll's there for a reason I presume no point in discussing the issue further.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    no point in discussing the issue further.

+1, the carpet has been swept from under the "Yes" voters feet.

Stabbed in the back as it were, by one of our own.

For shame :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yes
    Nahh, it is more likely that as happens in the soccer forum in it's current and undiluted state, people will discuss things, and may even listen to the point that others make. If they take these things on board and change their mind then surely that is not a bad thing, it just shows that they are both willing to listen and are quite pleased that they have had some feedback by people who have a different view to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Yes
    I think the majority has spoken.

Not that I care about the majority.

Except when they agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yes
    PSI wrote: »
    I think the majority has spoken.

Not that I care about the majority.

Except when they agree with me.

welcome back oh fearless Overlord :) How were the holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Yes
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    welcome back oh fearless Overlord :) How were the holidays?

Ohh I got back from holidays weeks ago, I've just been swept under with work. And the Lisbon treaty. I've no idea what it is all about, which makes modding the forum difficult (anyone making an analogy to soccer gets banned :p ).

On a serious note, I'm glad the way the vote turned out here, I think that it shows that in the sample of posters who voted, the feeling is that the forum operates best the way it is, or at least the problems can be fixed.

It has often been said that "You can't please all of the people all of the time" and noone knows that better than a soccer mod.

• Advertisement
Advertisement