Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banana Plugs

• 11-06-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bought new Profigold biwire cable today and got the shop to terminate the cable and connect Chord Company banana plugs.

I can't seem to connect the banana plugs to both my amp or speakers.

I have a NAD 320BEE amp and Mission M73 speakers. The banana plugs seem too big to connect to the speakers and amp.

Can someone tell me how to I connect the banana plugs? I must be doing something wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi, not sure if this is the case for you. But when i first tried to fit banana plugs to my amp Onkyo 605 I too thought they wouldn't fit.

Firstly there were plastic bungs in the amp that I needed to remove - apparantly it's because banana plugs are prohibited/discouraged under EU law as there is a risk of children plugging them into power socket.

Secondly the banana plus just needed a little encouragement.

I hope that is just the same in your case, but do be careful and judging by your post you will.

majj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Not sure the AMP supports banana plugs, see page 7, point 11 of the manual. It mentions spade or pin sockets....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

very often the banana part will seem too big to fit but this is to ensure a good slid connection. As was mentioned above you might have to pop the bungs out of the end of the terminals to push the plugs in too.

If you unscrew the plastic bit on the terminal until it's at it's limit you might see a hole going through the terminal spindle.... you should be able to push the plug in there either nd then just tighten everything up to be sure to be sure.

There is always the option of not using plugs here at all (unless it MUST use spades).... if you take the bare wire, fan it and then twist it tightly and carefully so that no strands are loose you can clamp it using the terminals too, through that same hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to ye - thanks for the replies!

With regards to not using the plugs - they cost 20 quid a pair so I'd be sickend if I couldn't use them!

I had a look at the manual (cheers for the link) ...are banana plugs not pin connectors? I rang Richer Sounds and they said the banana plugs should fit both the amp and speakers but they weren't much of a help!

I managed to get the tip of the plug into the amp through brute force and ignorance ....is this any good or do they have to go in all the way?

Can't test it out because I can't hook the speakers up!

Edit: Just found this regarding the speakers http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/767

Says the connection used is a 4mm banana plug..but I don't see how :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Right in the centre of your binding posts on your amp looking directly at them at eye level you should see a round cap.Tighten the posts in a bit so you can get to the cap easier.You will need a small jewelers screwdriver or a tweezers may do to lift off the cap.This will reveal the area you plug the bananas into, they may be a little tight but thats a good thing,shove em right in there, you will know when they are fully in.Make sure all your kit is unplugged when doing this.
    Capsremoved.jpg
    This picture shows where the caps are removed from,your amp should look like this and you insert the bananas in here.

Your speakers could be the same or will just have binding posts where you screw down on the plug.

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    Right in the centre of your binding posts on your amp looking directly at them at eye level you should see a round cap.Tighten the posts in a bit so you can get to the cap easier.You will need a small jewelers screwdriver or a tweezers may do to lift off the cap.This will reveal the area you plug the bananas into, they may be a little tight but thats a good thing,shove em right in there, you will know when they are fully in.Make sure all your kit is unplugged when doing this.
    Capsremoved.jpg
    This picture shows where the caps are removed from,your amp should look like this and you insert the bananas in here.

Your speakers could be the same or will just have binding posts where you screw down on the plug.

Thanks a mill man. Found the little caps on the speakers and the plugs fitted in perfectly. However, on the amp I took the little caps off but when I try to push the plugs in they wont - I applied loads of force..so much so that I thought I was going to crack the back of the amp.

So, I put the plugs in from the top and tightend the screws -everything is working fine now!

Thanks a mill for all the help lads - apologies for my absolute ignorance :D

• Company Representative Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Jamieh, Apologies I have just spotted your post, some types of bananna plugs don't conform to the 4MM standard, and likewise some amplifiers cannot take 4mm plugs - however I was disapointed that the guys in Richer were not able to assist you - any idea which Colleague yuo spoke to so I can sort it out? Thanks for your assistance

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

johnmc wrote: »
    Jamieh, Apologies I have just spotted your post, some types of bananna plugs don't conform to the 4MM standard, and likewise some amplifiers cannot take 4mm plugs - however I was disapointed that the guys in Richer were not able to assist you - any idea which Colleague yuo spoke to so I can sort it out? Thanks for your assistance

Hi John,

I got in touch with NAD and they said that 4mm banana plugs should fit the amp. As it happened there was an electrician in my house today - asked him to have a look and he said there was no way it would fit.

To be honest I'd prefer not to give the employees name if you don't mind, as it is very hard to help me over the phone in fairness to him.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Jamieh - that's what I thought too - NAD normally adhere to the 4mm standard - if you want to PM me your contact details I will get a free set of Gale 4mm plugs sent out that we know fit NAD amps - I'm away for the next week (YIPPIE) so it will be about 10 days before these get to you...thanks again - and I understand your comments about not wanting to drop one of my Colleagues in the smells...:o

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Its very strange that they don't fit:confused: its a pretty universal size.I had some chord cables before with a NAD Amp and whilst it was tight (the back facia did bend a bit on insertion) but they did go in.Have you tried different plugs on different sockets to check the fit or swap with the ones that fit on your speakers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

johnmc wrote: »
    ... and I understand your comments about not wanting to drop one of my Colleagues in the smells...:o

In fairness John your guys are famously helpful and accommodating. I suspect it was, and no pun intended, crossed wires during the conversation.

To the OP, it doesn't matter how much you spent on plugs... if they don't fit you have a problem that has nothing to do with €. If you can't get the speaker end sorted with those plugs then twist the bare wire and insert in the hole in the terminal and tighten it up. Be 100% sure there's no stray strands from the wire, if + touches - then you'll have a short and silence.

Advertisement