Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrasse

Options
  • 11-06-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

New species time for me, I cant deal with any more of the constant snagging that has been distressing me from Dun Laoighre to Grey Stones (Isn't fishing sposed to be relaxing) I now fancy a bit of Wrasse and I heard you can get it on the inner side of the piers in DL. East or West? Bait etc? Any tips?
    Tasty fish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Tasty fish?

More exotic but never heard of anyone eating them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

think the classic recipe for wrasse is to take:

2 finely chopped onions
    1 chopped clove of garlic
    thyme
    rosemary
    black pepper
    salt
    juice of 2 lemons

heat a large saucepan of boiling water, add the salt, olive oil and onion, tie the whole wrasse to a small brick, add the garlic and herbs,

keep on the boil for 14 minutes ...............

then eat the brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Cormdogg wrote: »
    New species time for me, I cant deal with any more of the constant snagging that has been distressing me from Dun Laoighre to Grey Stones (Isn't fishing sposed to be relaxing) I now fancy a bit of Wrasse and I heard you can get it on the inner side of the piers in DL. East or West? Bait etc? Any tips?
    Tasty fish?

Ahaha, Wrasse are ridiculously hard to catch without snagging - if you're out in a boat, landing a wrasse means you're *way* to close to rocky outcroppings in shallow water and is usually followed by a manic dive for the throttle. Even worse, they tend to favour places with loads of that brown bubbly seaweed (you know the one).

Ballan Wrasse - the normal ones - are supposed to be boney and watery; crap eating. Cuckoo Wrasse (or Cuckoo Connors as they're known collaquially) I dunno about, but they're definitely the most exotic looking thing in Irish waters - their colours fade very quickly out of water though, so take a photo and throw 'em back in. This picture doesn't even do them justice

cuckoo_wrasse.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Wrasse aren't that bony if you fillet them properly, but there are so many other fish that taste much better that there's really no point in keeping wrasse.

Wrasse aren't that bony if you fillet them properly, but there are so many other fish that taste much better that there's really no point in keeping wrasse.

They're nothing more than spraypainted pollack when it gets down to it :D That said, some people enjoy eating mullet; but for me personally I've seen how they congregate around emptying sewage pipes... an acquired taste I'm sure :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

You'll catch wrasse by floating a worm near kelp or rocks.Ragworm is the best bait but rumour has it they'll take shelled limpit if you havnt got any bait.They can be good sport and a two pounder will fight like hell.As for eating,the flesh doesnt fry very well,if you were to make a Boullabaise or something similar it would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Degsy wrote: »
    You'll catch wrasse by floating a worm near kelp or rocks.Ragworm is the best bait but rumour has it they'll take shelled limpit if you havnt got any bait.They can be good sport and a two pounder will fight like hell.As for eating,the flesh doesnt fry very well,if you were to make a Boullabaise or something similar it would be ideal.

These guys will take unshelled limpit as well. Absolutely savages for food. You can get them pretty big as well when fishing off rocks on the West coast.
    I remember many years ago fishing with my dad at home for them. He still fishs for them as well as the Mackrel and Pollack.
    I know people say they can be hard to catch, but isnt that the challange?

Another point worth noting is that the specimen Cuckoo Wrasee (1998) was only a little over a kilo. I'm pretty sure I've broken that one myself twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

jimi_t wrote: »
    They're nothing more than spraypainted pollack D

Alot of people are now eating pollack but wouldnt touch a wrasse. I have a coupla pollack which I will make a fish pie from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hoggibear

your gonna want a spot with deep water and plenty of rocks, iv found the deeper and snaggyer the area your fishing the better, bring plenty of weights, my wrasse rig is a swivel to my shock leader,tied off the same swivel is my hook length (i like to keep it short, about 100mm or so) then two hooks (pennel style) with a nice fresh peeler crab, below this swivel i use around 4ft of 5/8lb line so that if your lead gets snagged (as it probly should if your in good wrasse territory) this light line will give way and you loose your weight whilst holding on to your hooked fish, pound for pound these boys are a great scrap on a light rod, your arms will defo feel the burn if you strike into a specimen wrasse, great sporting fish, in my opinion there not the hardiest fish, i usally unhook them asap, quick photo and pop them straight back gently. best of luck,

P.S Wrasse fishing can be highly addictive, iv only started targeting them this year and im HOOKED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i've always used small hardbacks or ragworm for them, save my peelers for better things :)

Advertisement