Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your favourite Star Trek movie?

• 11-06-2008 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

I find it hard to choose, Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country and First Contact are all class...

Whats you favourite Star Trek movie? 17 votes

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    0% 0 votes
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    5% 1 vote
    Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
    41% 7 votes
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    5% 1 vote
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    5% 1 vote
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    0% 0 votes
    Star Trek Generations
    5% 1 vote
    Star Trek: First Contact
    5% 1 vote
    Star Trek: Insurrection
    29% 5 votes
    Star Trek Nemesis
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wrath of Khan #1. Undiscovered Country and First Contact are both excellent films, but Wrath of Khan is the kind of film you could show to someone who has never seen Trek and say "this is star trek".

I know Khan references a TOS episode, but I think it's more of a self-contained story, whereas to really appreciate the significance of Undiscovered Country and First Contact you need to know about the Trek universe.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

For me it's probably First Contact, followed by The Undiscovered Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I haven't voted; I prefer star trek on the small screen. That said enjoyed the remastered first film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

I would say Star Trek Generations (1994) Even looking back on it now there was a magical aspect to it. A defining moment in the history of Star Trek, the death of Captain Kirk and the beginning of a new era for The Next Generation. A passing of the torch.

It was also the first movie of its time to actually use the internet to promote it. That in itself was a huge achievement. See link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Generations#Production

It deals with many issues during the course of the film. Grief, Evolution, Regret, Humour, Genocide, Emotion, Pressures of Responsibility etc. I could go on but I think you get my point. My favourite without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Generations was really ambitious, and certainly sounds great on paper, but I always found the film to be a bit stale. There should have been a bit of breathing room between TNG and ST:Generations.

Could have been so much more, but as it stands I think it's one of the lesser Trek films tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Undiscovered Country would be my favourite, Wrath of Khan was good too, but the TUC was better imo as it had greater depth in exploring political and philosophical themes. First Contact was good too for a rollercoaster esque ride though the concept of the Borg Queen kinda ruined the mystique of the Borg.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wrath of Kahn, followed by Undiscovered Country, followed by First Contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

whens the new one out

Next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The Undiscovered Country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Toss up between Generations and First Contact.

The original series is not my cup of tea, wasn't around in the 60's myself and find it all far too campy to get into, I did like the films but preferred Generations and First Contact because I grew up with TNG, I love that crew :) Hated Insurrection and I'm sort of at ends with Nemesis, parts of it I love, parts of it I hate. I dont think it was a fitting end to TNG, and I really desperately hope they make a new film someday to give them a proper send off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW I just don't understand why so many people like the Undiscovered Country - it just leaves me cold.

And I have to say that one of my fave moments in any Trek movie is at the end of the otherwise lamentable V: The Final Frontier where the 3 boyos are singing around the campfire and the camera pulls back and pans up to the stars, cue theme music....
    It's a beautiful moment and IMHO that would have made a very satisfying end to the TOS era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

FWIW I just don't understand why so many people like the Undiscovered Country - it just leaves me cold.

And I have to say that one of my fave moments in any Trek movie is at the end of the otherwise lamentable V: The Final Frontier where the 3 boyos are singing around the campfire and the camera pulls back and pans up to the stars, cue theme music....
    It's a beautiful moment and IMHO that would have made a very satisfying end to the TOS era.

Yep it's definitely cold alright, Rura Penthe. Not on my vacation list that's for sure!!!

Because it's real, it's solid, it's not a light hearted 'romp' like the previous two. It matters in the context of Star Trek and as well as all that it has some worthwhile character-building moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

TNG is twenty one years old, holy **** time flies, I can't believe that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Goodshape wrote:
    Because it's real, it's solid, it's not a light hearted 'romp' like the previous two. It matters in the context of Star Trek and as well as all that it has some worthwhile character-building moments.
    Totally agree. The Undiscovered Country is my absolute favourite.

Purely for the themes / stories it reflected that were current in the real world at the time of its release - i.e. end of the Cold War, old prejudices / animosity between US and Soviet Union, Chernobyl incident, etc... Loved it!

Great cast (Chris Plummer esp.), great soundtrack / visuals and overall great film.

+ Littered with some great quotes (Shakespeare too :))...

____

Pavel Chekov: Guess who's coming to dinner?
    ____

Gorkon: I offer a toast. The undiscovered country... ...the future.
    Everyone: The undiscovered country.
    Spock: Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1.
    Gorkon: You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.
    Chang: taH pagh taHbe'

_____

Chang: "To be or not to be?" That is the question which preoccupies our people, Captain Kirk. We need breathing room.
    James T. Kirk: Earth. Hitler, 1938.
    Chang: I beg your pardon?
    Gorkon: Well ... I see we have a long way to go.

_____

Gorkon: You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

_____

Chang: Oh, now, be honest, Captain... warrior to warrior... you do prefer it this way, don't you? As it was meant to be. No peace in our time. Once more unto the breach... dear friends.
    _____

James T. Kirk: [voiceover] Captain's Log, Stardate 9529.1. This is the final cruise of the Starship Enterprise under my command. This ship and her history will shortly become the care of another crew. To them and their posterity will we commit our future. They will continue the voyages we have begun and journey to all the undiscovered countries boldy going where no man, where no one... has gone before. :(
    _____

plus many many more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i always disliked 'where no one has gone before', there are always people there.

Advertisement