Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology HL

Options
  • 11-06-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

what are people focusin on for tomo and anyone have any good tips???
    :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

im focusin on Enzymes, Genetics and respiration/photosynthesis !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chairmanWOW!

yea i heard they're likely to come up.
    the heart as well i heard....
    eep!
    im so scared :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I know genetics and all the protein synthesis.
    Same with enzymes
    I know respiration and photosynthesis.
    Unit 1 is bollox and can be waffled
    Cells are usually pretty easy

For Unit 3 topics, im hoping for:

The Heart / Blood / Lymph
    Sexual Reproduction
    Digestive System
    Excretory System / Homeostasis
    No plants :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chairmanWOW!

i know a fair bit but the curriculum is soooooo long ANYTHING could pop up!
    plants are evil!!!!!
    no plants on the exam!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stressed!

Nervous system
    female reproduction
    vegetable propogation
    ecology
    enzymes
    genetics
    heart
    defence system
    senses
    osmosis..........ect ect ect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

personally I'm goign fro enzymes, respiration, genetics, human reproduction, plant reproduction, and food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Female reproduction, photosynthesis, respiration, genetics, heart, osmosis experiment & DNA experiment, as well as a fair bit of plant stuff, methinks :) Should be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

All of units 1 + 2 and experiments very thoroughly. Some easy chapters of unit 3 like circulatory, viruses, monocytes etc. known well and vague knowledge of the rest of the unit 3 chapters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MnMs

i heard that id you know units 1 and 2 that thats like 80 percent of the exam or something...is that just spoof???:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Langerhands

Best thing to do in bio is just keep focused. its all comes together in the end. its true units one and two are important but so is unit 3. i crammed everything in the night before my mock and still came out with 86 per cent. so again best thing to do is have confidence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

i heard defo study ecology in detail, photosynthesis, microbiology, human reproduction, food and digestion, and genetics.
    will reproduction defo come one?
    do u tink ill be safe if i dont study any of the systems (endocrine, nervous, etc etc) i have no time right now!
    and on 2fm they said it wud be alright to leave out protein synthesis cas it came up last year or something...dont quote me on that tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

does anyone have a link to where i can lsiten to the 2fm show for bio? I can only find yesterdays show:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I left studying this till today, just want to pass the HL so im studying ecology, all the expirments, human reproduction, photpsysthesis and the easy chapters.

What im leaving out is all plant biology, ,genetics (dna) and respiration. I know its quiet a lot to leave out but im having a hard enough time studying everything else so at this stage I can't be starting anything else.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    does anyone have a link to where i can lsiten to the 2fm show for bio? I can only find yesterdays show:(
    Well they weren't talking about biology yesterday.

But if you go to http://www.rte.ie/2fm/406/ and then look at the right you'll see a link that says listen to todays show.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

MnMs wrote: »
    i heard that id you know units 1 and 2 that thats like 80 percent of the exam or something...is that just spoof???:p

I think its pretty true, like ecology can come up in four different pieces, its a really important section, a lot of the experiments can come from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

My Biology revision list if anyone wants it

Unit One
    Water
    Ecology (ratios and the nitrogen cycle)

Unit Two
    Photosynthesis and Respiration
    Osmosis
    Genetic Crosses (definitions and Mendel's laws)
    Evolution

Unit Three
    Fungi
    Amoeba
    Bioprocessing and the Stages of Bacteria growth
    Heart, Circulation and Blood
    Transpiration
    Lung System
    Nerves
    Endocrine system
    Musculoskeletal system
    Viruses
    Plant growth regulators
    Animal reproduction (focus on hormones)

Experiments
    Ecology - Qualitative survey
    Enzyme denaturing
    Photosynthesis
    Osmosis
    Pulse/breathing rate
    Leaf yeasts
    Germination

I'd also have a look over the experiment on DNA just to see what the things are used for (detergent etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

study genetics! It's due to come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

MnMs wrote: »

It's true. But it's not just unit 1 + 2. It's unit 1 + 2 and experiments. Short Q's: 4 of them are from unit 1 + 2, the rest are from unit 3. Long Q's: 3 are from unit 1 + 2, the rest are from unit 3.

It goes down like this:

-4 short q's @ 20 marks each = 80
    -2 experiment q's @ 30 marks each = 60
    -3 long q's @ 60 marks each = 180

=320 marks

Out of 400 total marks = 80% on the dot.

One warning though: The first part of the experiment questions often relates to the chapter the experiment is based on which is not part of units 1 or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xsinox

I'm alright for biology...i think!! But theres just too much to learn! the course should be shortened!! I have bio and art history tomorrow!! I am so tired, i had history today and i physically can't study any more!:(:rolleyes:! And i have spanish on tuesday!!! WILL THIS NIGHTMARE EVER END?!?!lol!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xox Sarah xox

right Im going over respiration, human reproduction, enzymes, plants and blood i know most of unit one but im **** with monera, protista and the other stuff!!]god i dunno this is never ending!! :p
    Any advice for any other subjects i should cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

33% God wrote: »
    My Biology revision list if anyone wants it

Unit One
    Water
    Ecology (ratios and the nitrogen cycle)

Do you think the nitrogen cycle is coming up? I thought it was in section C in 2007?

22diamonds wrote: »
    Do you think the nitrogen cycle is coming up? I thought it was in section C in 2007?
    I just know how to draw it, if they ask question on it im screwed, please please carbon cycle come up

if i leave out most of the systems (im learning endocrine, human, and excretory tho) and all the bacteria....do u know ill be ok?

the systems are waay too complex, so much info in each one and microbiology confuses the hell outta me!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kennym_27

if i leave out most of the systems (im learning endocrine, human, and excretory tho) and all the bacteria....do u know ill be ok?

the systems are waay too complex, so much info in each one and microbiology confuses the hell outta me!

Id say there is a good chance on a system coming up, so its a bit risky. :confused: Take it your screwed too? :o Hence why your up so late studying like me. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

they say that if you only know unit 1 and 2 goin in youl fly it... dunno how true that is but thats wat most of my friends are doing...

Kennym_27 wrote: »
    Id say there is a good chance on a system coming up, so its a bit risky. :confused: Take it your screwed too? :o Hence why your up so late studying like me. lol

i wudnt say screwed...stressed?! hell yes!

theres just waayy too much to study, and with art history tomorrow aswell im under alot of pressure, so i thot boards.ie for 5mins wud calm me down...but it didnt...

well i heard human reproduction is comin up, so im learning that, hopefuly ill get lucky tomorrow!
    good luck! xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

i wudnt say screwed...stressed?! hell yes!

theres just waayy too much to study, and with art history tomorrow aswell im under alot of pressure, so i thot boards.ie for 5mins wud calm me down...but it didnt...

well i heard human reproduction is comin up, so im learning that, hopefuly ill get lucky tomorrow!
    good luck! xxx

female is more likely than male, jus to let u know.. males been up a million times, never been asked to draw the girl bits afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dmccaff

Got up at 6am there to do some last minute craming!

I have photosynthesis, DNA, enzymes, ecology, some of the most likely experiments, cell division, viruses and bacteria, heart and circulatory system, excretion system and the senses (eyes ears skin) all covered...

I hope they come up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

MattD wrote: »
    I know genetics and all the protein synthesis.
    Same with enzymes
    I know respiration and photosynthesis.
    Unit 1 is bollox and can be waffled
    Cells are usually pretty easy

For Unit 3 topics, im hoping for:

The Heart / Blood / Lymph
    Sexual Reproduction
    Digestive System
    Excretory System / Homeostasis
    No plants :P

Was I right, or was i right? :cool:

Advertisement