Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican Restaurant in Kinnegad

Options
  • 11-06-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Was on the way home and stopped off in Kinnegad to have dinner with my wife. We were heading to the Hilamar and then we saw this new Mexican place :D

So in we went. It looks nice, if a little cramped but the decor is nice.
    We were given free chips (tortilla) and dip just like in the US, however unlike the US the chips were from a bag and not made fresh. Also the dip was a watery tomato sauce and not very nice.

We shared a starter of spicy muscles which which was very nice i have to say.

I had a chicken Burrito which was nice enough but no where near as good as what i can make myself and nothing like what im used to when in the US.
    My wife had some salad which she was not impressed by.
    The biggest complaint we both had was that instead of the advertised Coriander (cillantro in the US) they used parsley?? I mean thats just not on and it ruined the taste of both of our meals.

Service was ok but when i got up to pay at the desk i found they do not take credit card?? So i had to walk up the town ironically to the hilimar and go to the ATM.

The meal came to about €38, i was not going to bother with a tip but the girl was on the phone so i just left €40 and walked out saying thank you.
    The food was not terrible, and quite possibly is perfectly acceptable to most Irish people im spoiled as when im in the US the Mexican food is outstanding and my wife is American so she grew up with it.

We probably will not go back again but its worth a shot for people in the area. Its also nice to see more Mexican restaurants as i love the stuff. They do also serve non mexican stuff like a steak etc Just remember to have enough cash. Oh and while they serve wine, they do not serve Beer so no Corona or Sol let alone a Modello Negra (have not seen over here).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I would really like this place to be a success but they have a long way to go .

They are only open a few weeks ,I was there the June bank holiday weekend which i think was there first few days .

I think the credit card thing is because they are only just opened .I had the fajitas which was nice enough my main problem was they seemed to use cheap or bought in stuff .The guacamole and salsa were ,in my opinion ,bought in and not very good quality .I too love mexican restaurants in the US and would love to see a good one over here .One particular one in Florida prepared the guacamole table side which was very simply done but tasted amazing.

I had 4 kids with me 2 under 5 .I got them pizza, queisadilla, nachos between them ,the eldest 15 had a chili burger and chips .The pizza was like cardboard ,Lidl's do nicer ones .The quesidilla was uncooked ,cheese had not melted .The nachos were literally out of a packet .The 15 year old left half the burger and complained that chips tasted like oven chips.We ordered but never received a bowl of plain pasta .

I would happily have but the service done to it being the first weekend .Two other tables left before all main courses had been served .We left after one and half hours ,kids had had enough.I dont think i would go back because the quality of the food just is not good enough.

Advertisement