Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance Query

Options
  • 11-06-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, Just wondering if anybody has come across the situation of having to cancel flights with Aer Lingus???
    I've booked 2 flight to NYC for December with Aer Lingus at a cost of €480 each, and I rang them up about cancelling them, I didn't take out travel insurance as I have VHI and VHI multi trip insurance and I booked them on my credit card. Aer Lingus said they would only refund me the tax paid which was about €70 so that means I'm at a loss of €410 on each ticket :mad: Is there anyway around this?? Have I any rights or do I just grin and bare it :mad::mad:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The aerlingus part is pretty cut and dried. So youll need to check if your card will cover you, or your VHI. Id start with the insurance and see if you can get anywhere. Does often depend on the reason for cancellation, so Id check the T&Cs before phoning if you get me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some credit cards offer insurance for travel booked with the card. Contact your issuer and find out if this applies to you. Ditto with your travel insurance provider.

Hopefully one of these avenues will work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The big question is why did you cancel. If it due to illness (unlikely 6 months away) or other unforseen circumstances then it is on a case by case basis. If you have just changed your mind, then I dont think you will have any joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

You may be able to change the ticket to another destination on another date. - It was possible about a year ago for a fee of €35 each way.

Better than wasting €410.

edit - seems you can, and its still €35. Dates & destination can be changed.

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1Support/how_to_change.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0641129376.1213207794@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadeegejmmmecefecfigdffgdfkl.0&P_OID=-536880753&Category=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Daisygirl wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering if anybody has come across the situation of having to cancel flights with Aer Lingus???
    I've booked 2 flight to NYC for December with Aer Lingus at a cost of €480 each, and I rang them up about cancelling them, I didn't take out travel insurance as I have VHI and VHI multi trip insurance and I booked them on my credit card. Aer Lingus said they would only refund me the tax paid which was about €70 so that means I'm at a loss of €410 on each ticket :mad: Is there anyway around this?? Have I any rights or do I just grin and bare it :mad::mad:

Please:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daisygirl

Thanks all for your help, reason I'm not going is a change in circumstances, not health. Looks like I'm stuck with them for the time being :(.
    Thanks mcaul I might look into changing the destination and dates. But as stated it is 6 months away - you'd never know what will happen :)

ircoha - Cheeky:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Daisygirl wrote: »
    Thanks mcaul I might look into changing the destination and dates.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but if the alternate date/destination you choose is more expensive than what you've already paid, you might have to pay the difference too. You should check that out aswell.

Even though the reason for not going is not health related, you may still be eligible for cover on your insurance/credit card.

Advertisement