Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Options
  • 11-06-2008 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey guys just wanna know what ya thought the history paper...i'm pretty pleased with it myself, thought it was a fair paper:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 born2run

It was alright, but just alright

Document was grand, Vietnam no prob

Movements for reform...WHERE WAS HOME RULE??? It's like a good half the book!!!

Sovereignty and Partition - Treaty and Civil War, grand

Dictatorship and Democracy - well dodge, I did the Lenin and Stalin but its crappy enough

I'd say I got around a C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

While I got on alright, and am actually really pleased, I thought it was a horrific paper and I think there will be uproar about it.

1. No Parnell AT ALL!? That's ridiculous. Not only was Parnell not on the paper, but the Home Rule question was Redmond vs Edward Carson!?! That was crazy.

2. No mussolini? What a joke. The propaganda question that came up was Goebells + Riefenstahl, no Speer made it awkward to talk about Nuremberg Rallies. Disgrace.

3. No Sinn Féin 1918 Elections? Joke.

I really think that it was a really harsh paper. I was lucky because I prepared Euch Congress, Cult Nat, and knew Civ Pop pretty well. But yeah, horrible horrible paper I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Thought it was pretty good.

Did the Treaty, GAA and nazi propaganda. Thought Nazi propaganda was a bit iffy but meh. I got through it.

Now I can just forget every single thing I learned. yeaaaaaaaaaah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

No Sinn Fein so I ended up doing carson and redmond.
    Coleraine (regurgitated the chapter in the book)
    Home Front and Collaboration (had main points but slight waffling)
    Vietam - great! basically a timeline with quotes and opinions :)

I didn't like the doc questions. they were grand but not my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

I was glad Vietnam came up, cos if it had've been the Moonlandings I would've been mucho p*ssed off

What the fudge was going on with the lack of Parnell Questions?? I ended up making a half-assed attempt at the 'problems facing the urban poor question'..

The Modern Irish History section was orgasmic! Had Jack Lynch and Communications prepared and both came up :D

Though the European Section was a bit weird, didn't expect Stalin to appear, I thought one out of Mussolini, Church-State Relations and Anglo-American were pretty much guaranteed.

Overall a meh-ish paper, could've been worse, but dissapointed Parnell didn't appear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

totally unexpected. no 1918 election, no parnell... i did the democracy 23-49 one, basically twisting an anglo-irish relations essay, did the land reform and gorbachev... repeated eec 45-73 in div and realignment, wtf?! 73-92 was supposed to come up man!! overall i'd say i did alrightish, but i'm crap at history so it'll prob be my 7th subject...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭DowneyBookGirl

Home Front, Cultural Nationalism, The Treaty and Vietnam.
    Timing was really all that was against me. But my essays we're good, (albeit the Treaty one was a bit tricky, and I think I focused too much on the negotiations) But apart from that, quite happy. :pac:
    Hopefully I kicked Modern History's ass all the way back to the stone age. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought the questions were very weird.The consolidating democracy question was very long and I ended up writing nearly 5 pages on it,and could have done a lot more.But the question on economic and social challenges,49-59,was crappy.Theres hardly anything on it.

Also did the economic growth question in Europe,which was kinda weird as all I could do from my course was the steps to European unity,and twist it.

I was also thinking of doing the propaganda uder Goebbels and Riefenstahl but I havent done the course.I could only do it on my own knowledge and I wasnt too sure if I would be penalised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 confey121

I thought it was a nice paper especially the European Dict&Democracy book qts!
    My hand is killing me but I am really happy :D
    One thing that did really annoy me - no parnell in any shape or form! how was that possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fearceol

i was so delighted with document question! go on the Johnson! could u imagine if Q4 "Why was President Johnson unable to win the war in Vietnam?" was on the leaving cert equivalent course in America!they wouldnt be happy
    at all lol!

Ireland Topic 3(sovereignty and partition)-was expecting sinn fein 1918 as was everyone! but the treaty was fair enough,i wrote about how it put a split in the nation which eventually led to the civil war.

Ireland Topic 5(northern Ireland)was a beautiful question,Coleraine,Civil rights,powersharing all of them were there! i did coleraine-delighted!

Europe Topic3-hard enough to understand the Q i thought,"how did Lenin and Stalin contribute to communism?" i think the key word here was TWIST! i wrote all about war communism,5 year plans,collectivisation,show trials and TWISTED them to suit the answer.i think a lot of ppl were confusd with this Q but if u twisted it to suit you'll be grand!

PLUS 20% OFF RESEARCH TOPIC!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I Was Shocked That Parnell Didn't Appear..

End Up Bull****ting Through 3 Pages Of Cultural Nationalism..

Did The Treaty. :]

G'wan The Treaty..

And Hated The European Q's..

Did The Propaganda One..

Don'tcha Know How Important Goebbels Was As Regards Nuremburg Rallies. :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 i hate boards

i will never again have a sense of satisfaction as great as i did when i finished history. such a relief to have it over with, and it went alright too. i had no facts (dates or whatever) but meh.

my finest hour was when i lashed out a bitchin' 3 and a half page goebbels essay in 20 minutes- epic :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amaya4

Thought it was pretty good.

Did the Treaty, GAA and nazi propaganda. Thought Nazi propaganda was a bit iffy but meh. I got through it.

Now I can just forget every single thing I learned. yeaaaaaaaaaah.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: There was a question an Nazi propaganda?????????!!!!!!!! Why did i not see that???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭La0Fruitcake

pftt!!! well everything i studied didnt come up dont you no!!! was well confident going into the exam......was like a bull coming out....:pac:

12 pages of utter s**t...................:(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

I'm very sad at the moment. History was one of my best subjects, and it went badly. Ran out of time and answered a question wrong. Worst things you can do. I feel dire right now. Really dire.

Docs question - Couldn't think of anything to say on their effectiveness. Wasted time here.

LBJ - I talked about the gradual involvement, him getting thrust into power, the anti-war movement and the guerilla tactics. Prob my best. 2 pages.

Cultural nationalism - I waffled. It wasn't great. 5 pages.

Goebbels/Riefenstahl - Too short. Had to cut end short, no concusion. 4 pages.

Treaty - I talked about the War of Indepence as leading to the Treaty Negotiations. My essay ended as Dev leaves the Dail. That is ****ing bad. I answered it wrong. Very little on the split. Rushed at the end. 4 and a half pages.

Does anyone know how much I'd be penalised on my Treaty Q?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

1) The Treaty/Civil War: This was my dream come true. I'm a history head like, I could tell you where Tom Barry bought his cereal....1913-22 is my big thing, this made me happy.

2) Leni/Joseph Gobbells: Quite strong. Focused more on Goebbels, everyone else?

3) WB Yeats/Conradh na G: Decent question, not a bad answer either I'd hope!

did the Document last.
    Got the 40 point question down (HOW MUCH would be required here?)

Then hammered two of the 20 pointers.

and more or less scribbled the last one.

Taking it I lost a few marks across all the essays, I'd still be very confident.

Not had the worlds most amazing leaving cert, this was Gods gift I think.

*and I can see how it would suck for people. history is pot-luck in terms of what will come up. HUGE course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Wasnt too bad. I was very worried going in. It was the only exam I got stressed about.

I was delighted to see Vietnam come up like everyone had predicted. Did fine, 2 pages on Q4

Then I did the land reform question. 3 pages. Did well, but couldnt remember some of the conservitives land acts other than Ashbourne and Wyndam and Birrel.

Next I did the Treaty question. 3 pages again. Wrote and entire page on the negoiations which is proberly too much. Otherwise fine

Finally in European, I did the Home Front essay, it was beautiful full marks :) so glad it came up.

Overall Id say I got a B1 although I was aiming for A, but I still happy....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fearceol

ya already i can see that this paper is getting bad reviews! as i said if u did a good research study and decent document question thats 40% in the bag!

Wouldnt it be great if there were short questions for history just like Geography!? 10 short questions at 100 marks for them all!.....nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

I thought it was rather sexual. Absolutely thrilled about Treaty/Civil War and Goebbles/Riefenstahl...they were both a bit more than amazing as questions. My Modern Ireland one was on Jack Lynch, a little dodgy but not too bad. Document was grand altogether! I think my contexturalisation was a bit off, but I can deal with that. Seriously, just over the moon about the Treaty & Propaganda q's.

Biology and I'm done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Although none of my first choices came up,i was pretty pleased as there was an essay in all sections that i learned..for dictatorship i did the impact on the civ pop. for move for political+social reform i did land reform.for impact of partition i did euch congress..i thought the paper wasnt bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

To be honest, I was shocked with the predictability of this paper...

America - The first year, so they're bound to play it safe and opt for Vietnam. At any rate, the question was such twaddle that anyone who remembers anything about Vietnam could waffle it with ease!

Sovereignty - While 1918 didn't crop up, anyone worth their salt at history would have guessed the Anglo-Irish Treaty and/or the Eucharistic Congress would come up...we were gifted with BOTH of them.

Northern Ireland - Dunno how many of you doing this, but the only case study not up so far was Coleraine, and badda bing, here we have it. I opted for the Civil Rights Movement, which again was totally foreseeable...

Dictatorship - Admittedly the hardest part of today, but there was questions on Russia and Germany the last two years...and yet again there we're gifted with them. Chose Goebells/Riefenstahl myself, which was kind of difficult at the worst, just a code for propaganda really!

I think it's been easily the nicest of the three history papers so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

Im very disappointed with the paper. History was one of my favourite subjects and Im not happy at all. Nothing I really revised came up...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

i was absolutely ecstatic!! what a great paper!!

Vietnam i squeezed 4 pages out of

The treaty i got 3 and a half

Cultural nationalism i got about 3

and Nuremberg rallies i got 4

im so delighted i know i did quite well, i got an a2 in the pre's hopefully i got that again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Doorzie

Irish 1870-1914- i did the lock out larkin n all that!did well

Irish 1914-49- I did treaty i wrote about the negociations..negociating the treaty in the dail and the consequences...am I ok 4 dat??

Euro-Dictators I did propaganda...I did rallys, black propaganda and reifenstahl hitler youth movements!!Am i ok 4 it!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kathy_x_x

Vietnam.. just wrote a load of rubbish but everyone says they put the same stuff in

Movements for reform : only did parnell so I had to do a whole cultral nationalism essay from memory from like September

Soverignty : no FF.. had to make up an essay on the treaty thing

Deomocracy : All I can say is thank god for Goebbels

I cried for the first 40 minutes of the exam... I hated it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I thought it was sick. None of our teachers predictions came up. In Ireland Topic 2 I did the land reform qu, wrote that land agitation caused Gladstones land acts to a certain extent, but didnt cause the Conservatives acts. Did anyone else do that qu? I was lucky, i had learnt the treaty this morning, and i managed the propoganda one. THe Doc was alright. I wrote well over five pages for each essay, so i'm hoping that it will be ok.

I was hoping for an A1 and would settle now for a B. There is people in my class who were going for A1s and are now hoping that they passed. My teacher was practically in tears when she saw the paper.
    This course is ridiculously large. I'm going off now to write an angry e-mail to Batt O' Keefe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

It was an ok paper for me.
    Definately not the best that could have come up.

For Pursuit of Soverignty I would definately have preferred a Rising or Sinn Féin election Question but I went with the treaty instead.
    It was a C-worthy Answer

For Government, Economy & Society I did the "what were the main problems from '49 - '73"
    Once again it was only an ok answer

For Division and Realignment in Europe I began the Gorbachev essay and realised I was going nowhere with it.
    So half way through I changed to help and hinderance of the European Economy
    I was very happy with this essay.

As for Lyndon B. Johnson. I love him! What a guy! I so Aced that part of the Question.

Altogether I'm content with the paper. If I get a B I'll be delighted, but somehow I think I've gotten a high C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

anyone know how much id get if i had a last essay with the hungarian uprising round 3 pages but no conclusion?would i lose my a like?!coz i absolutely nailed irish history :P just really wanted an a and i was freakin last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

****ing ridiculous, all the questions were too broad, I studied cumann na ngael AND fianna fail but it was such a massive question o them about democracy I just abandoned it and bluffed the treaty. 1923 to 1949 is way too big I think, same for Lenin and Stlain, I would have been there all day, NEP, War Communism, Five Year Plans AND Collectivisation? Yer having a laugh...

A girl in my class was so pissed off with no Parnell she did the Cult. Nationalism question and put in little digs everywhere to annoy her corrector she spelt Annie Hornimann like Anny Horney-Man and so on and so forth, very childish but she reckoned she was ****ed anyway... didnt like that paer at all... way too broad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

i was absolutely ecstatic!! what a great paper!!

Vietnam i squeezed 4 pages out of

The treaty i got 3 and a half

Cultural nationalism i got about 3

and Nuremberg rallies i got 4

im so delighted i know i did quite well, i got an a2 in the pre's hopefully i got that again

Was that essay about The Nuremburg Rallies??

Personally, my ideal essays didn't come up, nor did my 2nd choices for that matter. I think I did OK with what came up but I was capable of a higher grade in History if the paper suited me better. Maybe I studied the wrong stuff, I don't know, but at the end of the day unless you have every essay in all your topics covered then it's a lottery, as it is for the majority of students I presume. So anybody who did well I am happy for you, but I wouldn't go patting yourself on the back too much.... You got lucky.... Some of us didn't! I don't think you could describe a history paper as good or bad.... It just suits certain people and not others..... except for those rare people who cover everything..... Those people will get an A1 no matter what the paper is like....

Sorry for going on....

Advertisement