Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

terrible harsh paper. Questions that came up in the past repeated. A load of bull**** that what it is. However, at least one thing I studied in each section came up. Phew

Question - why could LBJ not win the war in Vietnam?

opposition
    dead US
    the fact that they would continue on with guerilla warfare forever

Don't know about an A1, maybe chance of an A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

A cracking paper! The case studies were nice and broad.
    I did 4 and 3/4 on document (that was lovely contextualisation Q)
    4 on Eucharistic Congress
    3 and 1/2 on Lock-Out
    3 and 1/2 on Bismarck

Overall, I'm happy. I was also surprised at the lack of Parnell, but when they had put in the Lock Out and Gaa, they couldn't put in a third case study.

I'm not very sure regarding what get's the A. I mean, would 3+ pages of very relevant points and very good level of expression do the trick?

armbruster wrote: »
    terrible harsh paper. Questions that came up in the past repeated. A load of bull**** that what it is. However, at least one thing I studied in each section came up. Phew

Question - why could LBJ not win the war in Vietnam?

opposition
    dead US
    the fact that they would continue on with guerilla warfare forever

Don't know about an A1, maybe chance of an A2.

I threw in a mention to the financial situation. i.e refusing to give General Westmoreland 200,000 more troops to combat Tet Offensive because of the high level of costs as it was.
    But it was a very reasonable question I thought.

How much did you write, if you reckon you may have got an A2? Our pre's were ridiculously corrected so I have no idea.

I've also read that 1 in 8 gets an A. That's interesting because in the 2 years the course was on, among the 30+ students per year, there have been no A's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

No A's? Where, dude? History dishes out more A's than Geography. Or at least, there's a higher percentage of 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

melboix wrote: »
    No A's? Where, dude? History dishes out more A's than Geography. Or at least, there's a higher percentage of 'em.

Seriously? That's an interesting statistic..... Gives me hope that does :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Eegah

Absolutely terrifying paper. None of my 1st choices came up...and I was so sure...no Bus Boycott, no Parnell, no Sinn Fein, no Church-State relations...

- I did however manage to salvage a good 5 pages on Cultural Nationalism
    - The document question was easy enough, although I detested that cartoon! What was with the questions BEFORE the documents? 4 pages altogether.
    - The Goebbels/Riefenstahl question was unexpected but not impossible - a good 3 and a half pages
    - The Treaty/Civil War question was sheer hell. Barely scraped together 2 pages of shapeless fact crap. Very vague...ugh. That whole section was bull****

So yeah, one of the toughest exams so far. But not as bad as geogrpahy for me...I'm hoping for a B/strong C.

Horrible questions for the most part, and what was with all the printing anomalies?

I'm soooo glad it's over. Art History and German left now...cake.

Seriously? That's an interesting statistic..... Gives me hope that does :)

I rather liked it :D M'teacher also said that he'd heard no rechecks have been lowered over the last two years. Dunno how true that is, but it's another nice thought.

The thing with History is that so few do it cos it's such a challenging exam, only like...5300 sat it or something? Which isn't that much, so I think they try to encourage people to do it by having this lovely marking way of theirs :)

melboix wrote: »

Yeah, none last year definitely. I'm not sure about the year before. But that may have been down to the teaching. In Killarney.

That's a bit unfortunate :( Hope it changes for yiz this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 xxniamhxx

pftt!!! well everything i studied didnt come up dont you no!!! was well confident going into the exam......was like a bull coming out....:pac:

12 pages of utter s**t...................:(

i know how u feel... hated the paper... we left out a good bit of the european history and we had a choice of 1 out of 4 for it... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Ugh... well I guess it was okay (as in, I could actually do 3 essays) but they weren't my first choices by a long shot

1. Carson vs Redmond - not great, not awful. A lot of waffle I fear. I didn't have many points... ugh... not so sure now! 5 1/2 pages
    2. Treaty - Somehow inspiration hit as I wrote. Not so bad. Could've done with something smarter than 'and then there was a civil war' as an ending.
    3. Propaganda - Hadn't studied it. Just tried to think of anything I could that was something to do with Propaganda. Every paragraph started with "Goebbels also was involved with..." Even if he wasn't. like the nurmberg rallies...

Could've been better, could've been worse. I REALLY want an A1. I guess an A2 wouldn't kill me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 anie_bawny

woo,delighted with that paper,couldn't believe i knew at least one from each section.I was begining to panic that i wouldnt
    I did 4 pages on vietnam.really good question,was nice and open
    Done the treaty question 3 pages.felt it was a bit dodgy but i wrote the same essay for the mocks and got 85.iv a feeling that was a bit generous though.
    Economic and social challenges 49-59- my best question i think.4 pages on that one.
    goebelles-alright.a bit dodgy.i went completly off the point at the beginning!:o
    much better than what i had hoped for.have no idea what grade i would have gotten,could have been a D,could have been a B

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I wrote a class essay on cultural revival, I think it was 3 pages but it couldve been 4, I forget, anyway, I wrote 2 decent pages on the Eucharistic Congress and 2 pages of 1/2 bull**** 1/2 true stuff on Propaganda. I also bull****ted my way through the documents essay. I'm hoping for a minimum C1.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

An absolutely horrible exam to end a horrible course!

The test was grand for me, because there was an essay in each section that suited me. But my god, I'd say there was some lot of people in my class and in the country as a whole who were fecked! Like I nearly would've bet my house on Parnell coming on, and there were several people in my class who did just Parnell. The question on Politics was simply gruesome in that section, Redmond and Carson?! CARSON?! God, that would've been awful. I'd pay money to see someone's answer on that question!

No Mussolini, Church-State Relations or AA Pop Culture was a real shocker! And they asked the social and economic problems in Britain for the third year in a row, craaaaaazy! What the hell was the deal with the Russia question?! Stalin AND Lenin, feck sake that would take you all day! That was too broad, but then the Propaganda question was very limited(like most things in this History, either too broad or too limited, rarely just right!), grrrrr they just can't seem to get anything right in this history course! Thankfully I knew a load about Civ Pop in Britain, as my teacher has been heavily pushing it all year.

No Sinn Fein 1918 or Economic Policies of CnaG and FF really annoyed me as I was sure they'd be there. Well I was defo sure of Econ Policies, yet again no economic question for the third year! Thankfully I knew the Euch Congress. In fairness they questions weren't too bad for this section, as the Treaty was so heavily tipped by practically everyone.

The Documents seemed to be harder than usual, I generally breeze through the Docs, but found it a good bit trickier today. The contextualisation was alright, they could've asked easier things there but there was plenty of scope in that question. However I didn't get the paper done and was only half way through the Contextualisation when time was up, hopefully I won't lose too many marks there though. It's very dissapointing because I know Vietnam like the back of my hand and it's just terrible the way you don't get a chance to show off what you know in this course.

Went in hoping for an A1, as I had been getting all year, but I doubt I got it, due to my very bad answering of most of the Document questions, hopefully I'll get an A though.

This exam was just another thing to add onto a very long list of examples showing how the people behind this History course just seem to have a clue! The whole course is terrible, way too much info, too much stupid things, everything is too modern(I prefer modern, but like in fairness it's not giving us a proper historical education. The Junior Cert was much better in that at least we got to learn about lots of different areas of history). History is by far my favourite subject. Like I love history, I read historical books for leisure at home, but never has a school subject(except for maybe Irish) turned me off something as much as this did over the last two years. I was never as happy finishing any subject as much as I was today. Thank God that horrible course is over now and I can actually go back to loving history again. It's just not good when a school subject actually turns you off something. It should be the other way around, I'm afraid History in its current format is going to get a bad reputation and nobody will do it, especially considering there has now been three hard exams in the first three years of the new course. I could talk all day about how terrible most things are with this exam-not enough time, only getting asked on one thing from a whole book means someone who does nothing all year could be very lucky. I think short questions with a few-mini essays would be much better, test the whole book rathewr than just one bloody chapter. I could go on and on and on about the various problems with this! It's over now though.....! Ahhhhh I love history again!

God, this turned into a long rant, I hope people don't think I complain about everything. It just this History course has annoyed me so much over the last two years!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

15 pages later i'm a happy bunny.

Did the home front cramming this morning and it paid off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

I thought it was a fair exam. An exam like that is never going to suit everyone and that's why if you've studied several topics per question, you wouldn't be complaining now.

The case studies were all asked - the GAA, 1921 Treaty, Eucharistic Congress, Propaganda, even Show Trials could have been brought into the Russia question. Only surprise really was inter-war economic problems question in Britain and Germany. The Jarrow March for the third year running. And then another question in relation to Britain with the "home front" question. And Mussolini wasn't asked, I'd say that surprised a few.

Parnell could have been brought into the land question looking at the Land War 1880-1882, ending with the Kilmainham Treaty.

Just a little perplexed about the question on Irish governments consolidating democracy 1922-1945. Could Anglo-Irish relations be brought into this? What did people write?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I thought it was fine except for the dictatorship and democracy question.

We never did Britian in school so i just made it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

ateam wrote: »
    Just a little perplexed about the question on Irish governments consolidating democracy 1922-1945. Could Anglo-Irish relations be brought into this? What did people write?

yup, i twisted an anglo-irish relations essay... did cnag's ambassors and league of nations and imperial conferences (balfour declaration, statute of westminster) and then the dismantling of the treaty, the economic war and neutrality...i hope it fit in okay!!

they went pure hell for leather for the old case studies...hungarian uprising came up, WTF?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Exams aren't supposed to be predictable, students are supposed to engage with the given question on the day, not cough a load of facts up onto the page.
    If anything, today's exam discouraged rote-learning since you had to analyse the actions of the key personalities and give your own view. I agree that the choices for Movements for Reform were pretty limited in scope, and the Vietnam question was stupidly broad, but overall it wasn't a bad paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

Was that essay about The Nuremburg Rallies?? quote]

goebells yeah!! he was minister for propoganda and public enlightenment!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dearv

:DCouldn't have gone better if I wrote the paper myself:D

1.LBJ - jammy 6 paragraphs on media, war tactics, anti-war movement, forced into power etc, really broad question which was great!:rolleyes:

2. Movements for Reform - Ireland's urban poor: poverty, slums, independent attempts i.e. Guniness family and the Lockout; lovely 13 paragraphs

3.Pursuit of Sovereignty & Impact of Partition - Consolidation of democracy, REALLY Broad talked about CnG and FF, setting up of state apparatus, IRA, Army Comrades Association, handover of power, constitution etc, another 13 paragraphs - loved it

4.Dictatorship & Democracy - you gotta love a book called that with only 3 democracies; killer 18 paragraphs on Weimar Germany and Britain between the wars - :D

Overall I have to admit I lucked out, really thrilled cause I need an A1 so *fingers crossed*!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 otyat9

i did so frikin bad. nothing i studied came up. i know it's my fault and what not but i studied so much for it and like it actually took away from my study in other subjects. oh well it's over now yea!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 YawnForKnowledg

I thought this was a difficult paper. Questions I'd prepared for ended up being incorporated into indirect discussions of certain topics, such as the Strike and Lockout of 1913, or only being half of the question (Lenin AND Stalin - oh dear). The Anglo-Irish Treay question went fairly well, although there wasn't much you could really say about the negotiations themselves. The document was fairly easy - very thankful it wasn't the Bus Boycott. Combined with my research topic, I'd hope for a B1. Fingers crossed.

But ya'know, THANK **** THAT'S OVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Folks, its history :rolleyes:

I got lucky.
    Feel terrible for people who didn't. That course is so vast, you either get lucky on the day or don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Folks, its history :rolleyes:

hi-ohhhhh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 florencexxx

Was going absolutely mental before the exam cause I was so worried that nothing I studied would come up but the paper was an absolute GIFT,

Land Reform 1870-1914
    Anglo Irish Treaty leading to Civil War
    Goebbels and Reifenstahl

And thank God Vietnam came up! Ahh don't know if I got the A but it could have gone A LOT worse. =] Was writing for the whole thing so yeah, I'm pretty happy I hope I did well though!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ronchi

that paper was rubbish.. nothing on parnell? ridiculous.. no sinn fein ...stalin AND lenin wth??? culd have made it OR ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shadow_1409

I thought it was alright, i foudn it easier than my mocks anyway, i pushed for a C in the written so my special topic would hopefully push me further to a B.
    I did:
    Vietnam
    GAA, Gaelic League, W.B Yeats
    Anglo-Irish Treaty
    Nazi Propaganda

I thought the European question was iffy, but did it anyway. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 diagirl

Well, i have tosay that i was thrilled with this paper, it suited me really well and fingers crossed i've got my a1. but i can see how a lot of people were annoyed by it, when i first read it my heart went out to some of my friends who had taken a risk on church-state relations, parnell, etc. i was surprised they didnt come up, but as i had other stuff prepared i wasn't depending on them. i got lucky, definetly!!

LBJ, i was so happy that came, and a nice broad contextualisation q.
    i did cultural revival, 5 pages, noice
    treaty leading it civil war, i WAS lucky with that one, my teacher made us prepare that exact essay otherwise it would have been a very vague essay! 4 and a half pages.
    stalin and lenin, that was nice for me, though i know others were expecting the red terror etc. i'm quite happy with that one though the facts may have been a bit vague in places. that was... 4 and a half aswell i think...

i suppose what you've got to remember is that one essay is 20% of the exam, so if you f'ed one up you can still get up to 80%, i did that in the mock and still got 78%.

two exams tomorrow then its all over, i CANNOT FRICKIN WAIT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

Ekels wrote: »
    Yeah, none last year definitely. I'm not sure about the year before. But that may have been down to the teaching. In Killarney.

There were A1s last year - remeber that guy on the front of the Independent Leaving Cert guide and the girl on the Irish Times Leaving Cert guide.

Advertisement