Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

armbruster wrote: »
    There were A1s last year - remeber that guy on the front of the Independent Leaving Cert guide and the girl on the Irish Times Leaving Cert guide.

He means from his school. There would have been around 400 A1s in History last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

wrote four and a half on land reform
    4 on Eucharistic Congress
    3 and a half on Britian during WWII
    2 and a bit on vietnam (its only worth 40 marks, no need to overdo it)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

In fairness, to those who complain about Parnell, Mussolini, Sinn Fein not appearing... where does it say they were definite? Just because it was half hinted at on here doesnt mean ye had to take that as definite. Effectively, if you had learned other parts of that topic in a more broader sense you could engage the questions with Parnell, etc. How you can possibly gamble with a course that is only in its 3rd year is beyond me. You simply have to just learn as much as you can for this course... no other choice.

I felt the paper was fair overall, the questions gernerally were quite broad and allowed for discussion on more than one concise topic. I did thing though that the Vietnam contextualisation essay was kind of broad for 40 marks! All topics really revolved around the use of the case studies and the questions as a whole were far more student friendly this year as opposed to the last 2 years.

This paper will be very good at showing the difference between those who put in the work and studied various aspects of each topic in detail and those who merely cram the 'predicted' essays at the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

God it was a good paper, I wish I studied. I'd say I got a D2, fabulous </sarcasm>
    Delighted to see Vietnam up and went on to do the Charles Trevelyan/Aesnath Nicholson question, Eucharistic Congress and Lenin and Stalin. Got a bit of a fright when I saw Lenin but luckily I remembered a bit from my cram last night! Thank god for the project bringing me up. It was my last exam and an awful anti-climax, I was tired, hungry and pissed off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

loads of the predicted essays DID come up though!
    at least, of the ones i heard.
    i knew 6 essays, 2 for each section and i was able to write the 3.
    its totally not fair cos i did **** all work, but like, im sooo not complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I studied Ireland pre and post the treaty up to 1932.*

I studied the Hungarian uprising.*

I studied the land question (but only up to the Ashbourne act, so I missed Balfour and all that stuff)*

*The only three things I studied for history and they all came up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

BMH wrote: »
    He means from his school. There would have been around 400 A1s in History last year.

Ah, and there are 750 second level schools, so that's where the problem lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Mussolini wouldn't be impressed, he's long overdue :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Does anyone know how they mark the Documents question? I heard that they're pretty lenient on the marking of those questions. I did alright on them, decent-ish answers but I rushed them so much! Just wondering does anyone know if they mark them hard? All the way along, my teacher marked them very soft, basically if you wrote anything down at all, you got the 20 makrs for each question. Is that the usual practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scrivo

I think they do mark the documents fairly easily. The context. question is easy enough. There is so much info there that you are garunteed the 40 if you make a good few points. The comprehension ones are 2 sentence jobs. The comparison lost me a couple of marks but not big deal overall.

• Advertisement

CoolCiaran wrote: »
    Does anyone know how they mark the Documents question? I heard that they're pretty lenient on the marking of those questions. I did alright on them, decent-ish answers but I rushed them so much! Just wondering does anyone know if they mark them hard? All the way along, my teacher marked them very soft, basically if you wrote anything down at all, you got the 20 makrs for each question. Is that the usual practice?

In our mocks they(whoever they got sent away to) went pretty rough on the comparison and criticism questions, they seemed to expect a long enough answer. Any contextualisation question that was 2.5 pages+ seemed to get the full marks though, and I'm pretty sure comprehension was marked as easy as you'd expect.

Of course, it was likely marked by a first year arts student so it's impossible to say the department are going to do anything similar. Looking at last year's marking schemes, a line was sufficient for each comprehension question but they seemed to look for two paragraphs for the comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The document and Irish books were grand, but we got completely caught in our European book. No pop culture, no church state relations, no mussolini. I hate stalin and lenin at this moment in time! Didn't realise though in the Nation STates book that technology meant the car:( That's a good 40 marks gone down the drain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

In Soviet Russia history studies YOU.

Staln AND Lenin. What a ****ty thing of them to do.

Joey G, The Treaty and WB Yeats made me a happy-camper, but I understand how people could HATE that paper.

I left the document to last, got the 40 marker, 2 20s down well, and rushed the last one for 10. Happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

nearly cried when i went in, learned about twenty essays off by heart..NONE came up!

..was banking on gulf of tonkin/tet offensive for vietmnam but thankfully the contextualisation ques was broad anough..wrote about it being kennedy's war..guerilla warfare..humidity/heat/mosquitos/drugs problems amongst soldiers..cost..neglecting great society..and the opposition amongst americans..whats this with people writing loads for contextaulisation??..its only 40 marks..six paragraphs is plenty!.

for pursuit of soveirgnty did eucharistic congress..10 paragraphs and linked it to collective identity and independence...dev's opening speech etc..

government, economy, society did the one about socail/economic problems in the 50s..unemployment..emmigration..b.o.t. defecit..mistakes of governments..bad housing..poverty..slums and so forth..

dictatorship and democracy...LENIN AND STALIN!?..did they want a book!?.. i done home front in britain..delighted with it..fairly simple social essay in retrospect

got a high b1 in the mocks...hoping for an a2 this time round cause i did a cracker of a research project:D

not my ideal paper..lack of sinn fein 1918 and church state relations under Mussolini/Hitler nearly broke my heart but managed to pull it together. defenitely a difficult subject..!

With regards the Lenin/Stalin question, you're able to write ten paragraphs on Lenin and one on Stalin and still get full marks, just so long as both elements are mentioned. That said, I thought it was quite a narrow question since you could only deal with the person's contribution to communism, which would require an in-depth knowledge of what communism actually is in the first place, possibly as laid down by Marx and Engels rather then Lenin and Bukharin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

I'd just like to point out, i started a thread two weeks ago tipping 11 essays and 4 of them came up word for word :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

5 pages on cultural nationalism
    5 1/2 on vichy and britain
    6 pages on treaty to civil war
    2pages on contextualisation

considering i only studied 11 essays i was v. happy loike

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Nothing I wanted came up and i am so disapointed because i put so much time into history :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

5 pages on cultural nationalism
    5 1/2 on vichy and britain
    6 pages on treaty to civil war
    2pages on contextualisation

but remember, quality not quantity. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

but remember, quality not quantity. ;)

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

I'd just like to point out, i started a thread two weeks ago tipping 11 essays and 4 of them came up word for word :p

Yeah yeah....go get your PhD LAURA BRADY! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jeveuxtevoir

Did anyone do The Unionist Party in Northern Ireland Q? I just talked about how they kind of alienated Catholics from Society... No idea if thats right at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 codamiazac

Sooooo happy with the paper when i was doin it bt now i'm kinda thinkin mehhhhhh!!!

Treaty - lovely, predicated it was cuming up!!:) had the whole essay"why was there a civil war in ireland in 1922" completely learned off so just worked round it!!(4.5 pages)

Homefront - surprise thought for sure church state relations were cumin up or pop culture but did the homefront.... bit of a waffle tho still think it went ok(5 pages)

communication revolution - I jst did flippin the impact of rte for 4 pages n den 1 pages on radio!!! i cudnt do anything else so had to!!....
    WAS SURE THE FISH WAS CUMING UP!!!ha..

Vietnam- didnt study for it at ALL..... only a pages for question 4!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Just wondering, not sure if it has been asked already, but for the Democracy and Dictatorship Q, would a background summary of lenin establishing communism and then many pages on Stalin e.g. Show Trials, be the correct answer. Just got me thinking after looking at the paper again ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HeartieDevil

CoolCiaran wrote: »
    An absolutely horrible exam to end a horrible course!

The Documents seemed to be harder than usual, I generally breeze through the Docs, but found it a good bit trickier today. The contextualisation was alright, they could've asked easier things there but there was plenty of scope in that question. However I didn't get the paper done and was only half way through the Contextualisation when time was up, hopefully I won't lose too many marks there though. It's very dissapointing because I know Vietnam like the back of my hand and it's just terrible the way you don't get a chance to show off what you know in this course.

Went in hoping for an A1, as I had been getting all year, but I doubt I got it, due to my very bad answering of most of the Document questions, hopefully I'll get an A though.

Omg, thank god, someone else who found the doc questions hard. I thought the contextualisation was grand, got two pages out of it no bother, but I found all the 20-markers a bit tougher than usual.

Anyway, analysis well after the fact: :D

Ireland topic 2; What the hell was with no Parnell? Omg, I almost died when I saw the questions. Fortunately I had gone over the Land Acts and stuff the night before so I was able to knock a good four pages out of that.

Ireland topic 3; Treaty questioin was a gift from God!!! Had done that exact question at lunch time before the exam, so regurgitated it all back onto the answerbook in double time.

Dictatorship & Democracy; Had a nice choice here, could have done Russia, the Home Front or Propaganda, but went for Propaganda, was happy enough with it even though my conclusion was a bit rushed cos I ran out of time. Does anyone know if they split marks equally between Goebbels and Riefenstahl if you do the two? If so, I'm dead, cos I did about 3 pages on him, and 1 on her!

Overall a nice exam though, I'd be hoping for an A here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Omg, thank god, someone else who found the doc questions hard. I thought the contextualisation was grand, got two pages out of it no bother, but I found all the 20-markers a bit tougher than usual.

Anyway, analysis well after the fact: :D

Ireland topic 2; What the hell was with no Parnell? Omg, I almost died when I saw the questions. Fortunately I had gone over the Land Acts and stuff the night before so I was able to knock a good four pages out of that.

Ireland topic 3; Treaty questioin was a gift from God!!! Had done that exact question at lunch time before the exam, so regurgitated it all back onto the answerbook in double time.

Dictatorship & Democracy; Had a nice choice here, could have done Russia, the Home Front or Propaganda, but went for Propaganda, was happy enough with it even though my conclusion was a bit rushed cos I ran out of time. Does anyone know if they split marks equally between Goebbels and Riefenstahl if you do the two? If so, I'm dead, cos I did about 3 pages on him, and 1 on her!

Overall a nice exam though, I'd be hoping for an A here. :rolleyes:
    Nah, as far as I know you only have to mention the both of them, you can speak about one in much greater detail than the other, as long as you mentioned both you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HeartieDevil

Perfect, thanks, that's a weight off my mind! :o

Advertisement